• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ben Roberts a Griz?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
It doesn't matter that he hasn't played in 5 years.

He has the frame, hands and speed to make this team. The only people he doesnt need to beat out are Henderson, Jones and Daum.

The rest are very vanilla

That's essentially what they said about Tanner Roderick in Bozeman, too

kyle_sample said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

He has the frame, hands and speed to make this team. The only people he doesnt need to beat out are Henderson, Jones and Daum.

No comparison between Roderick and Roberts. Roberts is one of the top 3 or 4 athletes to ever come out of Montana, cat rod isn't in the top 20

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
kyle_sample said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

No comparison between Roderick and Roberts. Roberts is one of the top 3 or 4 athletes to ever come out of Montana, cat rod isn't in the top 20

Right.....

kyle_sample said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
kyle_sample said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Right.....
I know I am

Roderick isn't even in the top 20, but is the only Montanan to ever be named Gatorade Player of the Year in basketball and football in the same year? You can probably be a mediocre athlete and accomplish that.

2010 football stats: Roderick led Class AA in rushing with 1,913 yards and 23 touchdowns on 238
carries, and also topped Class AA in passing efficiency, completing 140 of 229 passes for 2,457 yards and 28
touchdowns, against just five interceptions.
2010 basketball stats: He recorded 26 points, six rebounds and four assists in the 61-53 state title-clinching victory against Billings West. A two-time Class AA All-State selection, Roderick averaged 19.0 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 2.5 steals per game in 2010-11. He shot 46 percent from the field, 38 percent from 3-point range.
He was also the focal point of state champions in both sports.
From the 2010 Gatorade press release: “He’s the best overall athlete in the state,” said Doug Robison, head coach of rival Billings West High. “He’s also the best basketball player. He’s a dominant factor on the court. He’s a 6-foot-2 guard and a phenomenal jumper. He probably averaged a dunk per game. He’s a good perimeter shooter and penetrator, and he’s a very good defender. If he hadn’t committed to play football in college, he probably would’ve gone Division I for basketball. He’s that good.”

More from the release: "He is only the third Montana athlete to earn Gatorade Player of the Year honors in two different sports in the award program’s history, joining football and basketball standout Shane Collins (1986-87) as well as girls soccer and basketball winner Kirsten Tilleman (2006-07)."

He's not top 20?. Proudly displaying the confederate flag is apparently not the only sign that you're an idiot.

good in high school, doesn't mean good in college....even state college. You seem to be the idiot!

the boy has earned some accomplishments.........
both ben and tanner are athletes with similar qualities.....to say one is better than the other is purely subjective as an opinion......not a statement of absolute truth.
ask their mothers, they will tell you this as well.

zirge said:
both ben and tanner are athletes with similar qualities.....to say one is better than the other is purely subjective as an opinion......not a statement of absolute truth.

100% wrong

Roderick is a good athlete nobody is saying other wise he just isnt in the same league as Roberts or Miller.

It is fact simply based on what Miller did at BSU and what Roberts did in professional baseball neither of them failed, quit and came back to a 2nd tier team only to not get much playing time so far.

Miller and Roberts are far superior in every aspect, its not even debatable.

Spanky, you don't seem to understand the premise. Nobody said Roderick was better than Roberts or even more athletic, the original point appears to be a forewarning that just because a guy is super athletic doesn't mean he's going to translate onto a higher level of play. Roderick, indisputably -- unless you're Alpha, a Trump-like online persona if there ever was one -- was a great athlete in high school, but couldn't figure out the college game.
Roberts, clearly a great athlete, faces a difficult transition and it isn't going to be made easier because he's athletic. Presuming he is a WR, the offense he is going into is very complex and his playing time is going to be determined on how well he understands what is he is supposed to do and how quickly he can decipher what the defense is going to do. If you don't believe that just take a look at the battle behind center. It's not going to be easy for him to do with just one year.
....But Alpha says his time away from football won't matter, so it probably won't. As we all know, Alpha is really good at figuring out what is going to work and what isn't. By the way, how is that POS website of your going?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
zirge said:

100% wrong

Roderick is a good athlete nobody is saying other wise he just isnt in the same league as Roberts or Miller.

It is fact simply based on what Miller did at BSU and what Roberts did in professional baseball neither of them failed, quit and came back to a 2nd tier team only to not get much playing time so far.

Miller and Roberts are far superior in every aspect, its not even debatable.

Roberts never played professional baseball and Roderick didn't fail at Nevada. He was recruited to a system and that system left when the coach retired so he transferred. He has, however, failed at MSU, but that has nothing to do with his athleticism

I am fully confident Ben will make the roster and make a huge difference. I will look for him to be a primary receiver by the end of the year. With all of the new guys coming in I am sure they will redshirt someone to make room for a mature athletic 5th year senior.

Also of note, we now have two of the most prolific receiving threats in recent Montana high school history on our roster. Things are looking up for the Griz.

Gittes406, Brian Polian still runs the pistol at Nevada, which is exactly what T-Rod went there to play in. T-Rod was No. 3 on the depth chart when he decided to transfer. I'm not saying he failed, but he wasn't going to win that job.

Gittes406 said:
Roderick isn't even in the top 20, but is the only Montanan to ever be named Gatorade Player of the Year in basketball and football in the same year? You can probably be a mediocre athlete and accomplish that.

2010 football stats: Roderick led Class AA in rushing with 1,913 yards and 23 touchdowns on 238
carries, and also topped Class AA in passing efficiency, completing 140 of 229 passes for 2,457 yards and 28
touchdowns, against just five interceptions.
2010 basketball stats: He recorded 26 points, six rebounds and four assists in the 61-53 state title-clinching victory against Billings West. A two-time Class AA All-State selection, Roderick averaged 19.0 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 2.5 steals per game in 2010-11. He shot 46 percent from the field, 38 percent from 3-point range.
He was also the focal point of state champions in both sports.
From the 2010 Gatorade press release: “He’s the best overall athlete in the state,” said Doug Robison, head coach of rival Billings West High. “He’s also the best basketball player. He’s a dominant factor on the court. He’s a 6-foot-2 guard and a phenomenal jumper. He probably averaged a dunk per game. He’s a good perimeter shooter and penetrator, and he’s a very good defender. If he hadn’t committed to play football in college, he probably would’ve gone Division I for basketball. He’s that good.”

More from the release: "He is only the third Montana athlete to earn Gatorade Player of the Year honors in two different sports in the award program’s history, joining football and basketball standout Shane Collins (1986-87) as well as girls soccer and basketball winner Kirsten Tilleman (2006-07)."

He's not top 20?. Proudly displaying the confederate flag is apparently not the only sign that you're an idiot.

Roderick was a man among boys in the State AA basketball tourney his senior year. That title game one of the better performances I've seen in 35+ years of watching MT HS ball. Never watched him play football but the stats are pretty impressive. I believe he led both teams to state titles his senior year.

Not dissing on Roberts here but he played FB on a pass always team, didn't play hoops his senior year and had a good but not great college baseball career. To my knowledge never played pro baseball. I'm Griz through and through but don't let anyone say Roderick wasn't a great MT high school athlete. I think his mistake may have been not sticking with hoops into college.

Roderick was OK for the Cats at WR last year but don't see much more from him this year. Roberts has an uphill battle having not played football for several years. His mistake may have been not sticking with football into college.

Rightoooonnnn said:
I am fully confident Ben will make the roster and make a huge difference. I will look for him to be a primary receiver by the end of the year. With all of the new guys coming in I am sure they will redshirt someone to make room for a mature athletic 5th year senior.

Also of note, we now have two of the most prolific receiving threats in recent Montana high school history on our roster. Things are looking up for the Griz.

Well that's certainly an optimistic outlook, best of luck with that? Also, welcome to board, Ben. :clap:

Back