• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ben Roberts a Griz?

Grizbeer said:
Ursa Major said:
EverettGriz said:
Grizbeer said:
prepare to win championships, pissing contests and the internet.

Expect to hear from my counsel regarding trademark infringement in the very near future, GB. I hope your Beer is good shit, because my attorneys certainly are, and they're coming after it.

Mr. Grizbeer,

I have been officially appointed as Mr. EverettGriz's counsel. It has come to my attention that you have willfully and recklessly utilized my clients trademarked response to both new recruits and new posters on E-griz. As I'm sure you know, a civil trial can be both a costly and time consuming affair. At this time, my client is willing to settle this issue for a case of quality beer and a draft beer of his and his legal representative's choice at the Mo Club to be delivered on the evening of August 29, 2015 . If I do not hear from you within the next 48 hours, I will assume you are not interested in this settlement and would like to go to civil court on this matter.

Respectfully,

Ursa
Dear Mr. EverettGriz and Mr. Ursa, Esq.

With respect to your claim of trademark infringement, I regret to inform you that I have in my possession "smoking gun" proof that said trademark is no longer valid and in fact was abandoned over 90 years ago.

For background information, the phrase "prepare to win championships" was originally written as "prepare to have a good morning" and first used in the late 1800's, and revised to "prepare to win championships" later. I have in my possession an excerpt from a FSPB message board posting from 1927 that clearly states "prepare to win championships" that did not contain the trademark or copyright mark. This pre-dates your clients use of the phrase by at least 8 years. In additions there is also references to a 1922 posting that uses both phrases "prepare to win championships" and "prepare to have a good morning" and other variations as well, that also did not have a copyright symbol, and even if it did those copyrights would have expired in 1949.

I have a bunch of other legal reasons for not paying, but I have already mentioned that this info came from the FSPB via my great Aunt Wilma, so I feel no other explanation is necessary. I have retained the services of a fancy California attorney, CDA, to pursue a counter claim for a full refund of any royalties or fees paid. Mr. CDA, Esq. is confident we have a solid case (he used the term "a wild fire" repeatedly, which I took to mean a slam dunk case). This case may even go class action. You will be hearing from Mr. CDA soon.

Dear Mr. Beers,

First let me apologize for the length of time it has taken me to contact you. In the predawn hours my office building was unfortunately and tragically burned to the ground in what the Fire Marshall said was a suspicious manner. Rest assured that Ursa Law Inc, has found temporary offices at the YMCA and is continuing to meet the needs of our clients.

I have spoken to my client and we are taken aback by the aggressiveness of your correspondence. Rest assured, we are quite aware of your connections within the community and the "legacy" your family has in the community, sir. That still has no bearing upon my client's grievance. I'm sure you're aware that my client's go-to welcoming statement has been well documented through the past decade. Please know that we are fully prepared to move forward with litigation. In order to put this matter behind us in an expedient and cost saving manner, my client is willing to settle for a six-pack of quality beer and two globes of PBR to be served to him (and counsel) on the evening of August 29, 2015 at the Mo Club to settle this unfortunate issue. I trust you and your counsel will welcome this proposal as a means of putting this issue behind us.

Sincerely,

Ursa

Ursa Major said:
Dear Mr. Beers,

First let me apologize for the length of time it has taken me to contact you. In the predawn hours my office building was unfortunately and tragically burned to the ground in what the Fire Marshall said was a suspicious manner. Rest assured that Ursa Law Inc, has found temporary offices at the YMCA and is continuing to meet the needs of our clients.

I have spoken to my client and we are taken aback by the aggressiveness of your correspondence. Rest assured, we are quite aware of your connections within the community and the "legacy" your family has in the community, sir. That still has no bearing upon my client's grievance. I'm sure you're aware that my client's go-to welcoming statement has been well documented through the past decade. Please know that we are fully prepared to move forward with litigation. In order to put this matter behind us in an expedient and cost saving manner, my client is willing to settle for a six-pack of quality beer and two globes of PBR to be served to him (and counsel) on the evening of August 29, 2015 at the Mo Club to settle this unfortunate issue. I trust you and your counsel will welcome this proposal as a means of putting this issue behind us.

Sincerely,

Ursa

**CONFIDENTIAL SETTLEMENT COMMNICATION**

Dear Sir:

Don't talk to my client. If you have something to say, you can direct all communication through my office. Thank you for the settlement offer. I have authority to counter-offer a six pack of Heidelberg and a tin of Copenhagen pouches. Same time and place. Of course, your client would be required to sign a release of all known and unknown claims against my client. Please let me know at your earliest convenience if your client accepts this generous offer. We both know your client's position is meritless, so we respectfully request that you do not unnecessarily drag this out. I plan to file civil harassment complaint against your client on Monday if I do not hear from you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions,

CDA
Rad guy
Good Law Firm, PC
Newport Beach, CA
1-800-ALLIDOISWIN
#forrealz

Don't think it means anything to football, other than his athleticism, but my son told me that Ben won the slam dunk competition at the 3 on 3 in Polson a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't played basketball since his Junior year in high school.

No mention of Josh Horner of CMR in this WR thread. I understand he has the second best vertical on the roster, big kid with great speed. No chance for him?

Highwood Cat said:
No mention of Josh Horner of CMR in this WR thread. I understand he has the second best vertical on the roster, big kid with great speed. No chance for him?

I don't think we know until fall camp plays out. Reese Carlson is another big, physical receiver that could be in fold. Lots of WR's to assess this year.

22 hours ago • By AJ MAZZOLINI For The Gazette(0) Comments
MISSOULA -- There's no surer sign that Ben Roberts is through with baseball than his answer in a light-hearted lightning round of personality questions.

It came moments after Roberts named his favorite athlete, just before describing his favorite food: If you could play one sport other than football, Ben, what would it be?

"Probably golf," Roberts says slyly.

The 6-foot-4 Missoula Sentinel graduate is about a month into his football second-coming, having transferred to Montana from Washington State this summer. He played baseball there, not football.

But after four years and a college undergraduate degree, Roberts felt the pull of home and something that could reinvigorate his once-burning passion for athletics. The outfielder approached the Grizzly coaching staff in the spring about a change of direction, enrolling in a graduate program for the fall.

So far, Grizzly head coach Bob Stitt likes what he sees.

"He looks good out there and we just need to get him coached up in what he needs to do as a football player," Stitt said. "It's a little different from baseball to football, but he's getting better every single day.

"You see those guys all the time coming from college basketball and going into the NFL playing tight end," continued Stitt, referencing among others former Denver Broncos star Julius Thomas, a Portland State hoops standout from 2006-10. "If you're a great athlete, it doesn't take long to get it back."

Despite just a dozen college practices, his first time playing competitive football since the fall of 2010, the redshirt senior is already making the fall camp highlight reel. He had the play of the day during the Grizzlies' first scrimmage Monday.

Roberts went full extension to haul in a pass from quarterback Makena Simis, diving into the end zone for the scrimmage's first score.

"The face mask in your way and running with pads on your shoulders, it's a little bit different," Roberts said of tracking a ball in the air. "But I guess it's the same kind of concept, laying out for a football or laying out for a baseball."

Well sort of, but there's a lot more to completing a catch than just being able to follow the ball in the air, Coach Stitt said.

"When you're an outfielder and a ball goes in the air, you've got to get your eyes on it right away," he explained. "Well in football you're not looking until you've got the corner(back) flipped and then you're gonna find the ball. ... We've got to change him up."

Don't count Griz defensive tackle Zach Peevey among those stunned by Roberts' gem this week.

"I saw him on the Top 10 on (ESPN's) SportsCenter for a similar catch when he was playing at WSU," Peevey said. "So I'm not going to act surprised, but I was happy for him."

That catch against UCLA landed at No. 4 in ESPN's nightly highlight package this past March. It's worth a quick Google, too.

Peevey went to Missoula Hellgate, overlapping during most of the years Roberts attended the Knights' crosstown rival. He can attest to the new Grizzly's sheer athleticism.

"I remember him more from basketball, man," said Peevey, a redshirt junior. "He'd be jammin' on us. And I know he broke most every record receiving in Montana.

"The people who knew who he was were real excited (when he transferred). When you play center field for a Division I baseball program for four years, you've got to be a freak athlete. We already knew he was."

Roberts caught 108 passes, a state record, in 10 games for 1,370 yards and 12 touchdowns as a high school senior in 2010. His career total of 245 grabs is another record and he was believed to be second in career yards (3,298) and TDs (31).

He also caught 18 balls in a game against Butte in 2010, tied for the most all-time.

That was all a long time ago, Roberts can acknowledge, so it has taken a bit of time to get his football legs under him again. Not to mention adapting to the college game's elevated speed and precision.

"Knowing when to break your route and breaking your route off correctly, that's taken the most time," he said.

But the biggest adjustment has been dealing with the contact that comes with a violent sport. Nobody is trying to tackle you when you're chasing a fly ball.

"It's a lot more physical than I remember back in high school," Roberts said, smiling at such an obvious statement. "The DBs are a little more aggressive and stuff and there's a lot more art to running routes than there was back in high school."

Roberts is still waiting on that welcome-to-football moment that he knows is coming. The first big hit, the first slow peel off the turf. But it comes with the territory, he said.

"Luckily these guys aren't out to kill me; they're my teammates," he said. "I'm sure it'll happen in a game, I'll take a good pop, but that's just how it goes."
http://helenair.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/ben-roberts-adjusting-to-football-just-fine/article_544aa038-1819-57ff-a756-6cf4e868b02c.html

bgbigdog said:
Kid's going to make a major contribution this year.

He very well may. Talented, smart and athletic. Just needs to get his mind back in football mode. I'm waiting for a fourth and goal from the three yard line against UNDUS and see if he tries to steal a touchdown.

Rightoooonnnn said:
Also of note, we now have two of the most prolific receiving threats in recent Montana high school history on our roster. Things are looking up for the Griz.

The fly in the ointment is untested quarterbacks. ;)

Im not surprised he is one of the 3 best WRs the Griz have right now.......and he may crack top 2 before the season is over.

Back