• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best All Around Player the Griz have ever had?

Who is the Best All Around Griz Mens Basketball Player?

• Matt Martin

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Michael Ray Richardson

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • Larry Krystkowiak

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Gary Kane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Breunig

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

ALPHAGRIZ1

Got into a discussion with some peeps last night about the best All Around player in Griz history. Most people were slinging the usual Krystkowiak, Richardson, Cherry blah, blah, blah and all of those guy have serious skills but none of them was a fundamentaly complete player.

What say you guys?

My pick is well thought out and its really not even close.

Matt "Spearfish Flash" Martin 2004-2008 there is nobody in Griz basketball history that did more at his size than MM. Tenacious D, Assassin 3 skills, rebounds and with MAYBE the exception of Will Cherry nobody has ever handled the ball better.

Cant wait to hear all of your picks........ :coffee:

I'll raise you Scott Zannon. Not only did he have handles, hops and range, he also lettered in track and football while at the U.

grizfnz said:
I'll raise you Scott Zannon. Not only did he have handles, hops and range, he also lettered in track and football while at the U.

Good call - that guy was amazing.

grizfnz said:
Agree - Scott was (is) a great competitor and the Zanon family had Rick, Craig and Scott play for the Griz.
I have to add; Roger Fasting (Dawson county high) was a very well rounded player, who could score inside and outside and played very good defense.

Obviously, none of the early voters saw Sugar Ray play... There Is ZERO chance that any of the others in this poll are in the same category...

Don't believe me? Who was the #4 pick in the first round of the NBA draft two spots ahead of Larry Bird?

Who lead the NBA in steals and assists?
Who is the only player that Magic Johnson said he was in awe of?
Or you could just search goggle for quotes about MRR from Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson...

Yes he had drug problems, but UM will never see another MRR.

Case closed...

I will help you out young ones... these are some of his NBA highlights, but he did the same things at UM...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwDmBfCENu0[/youtube]

Paytonlives said:
I will help you out young ones... these are some of his NBA highlights, but he did the same things at UM...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwDmBfCENu0[/youtube]

That finger roll was sweet. And he was sure good at using his body to protect his shot.

Michael Ray was also the best defensive player of his generation. Every fan of that era remembers multiple instances in which he stole the ball, drove the length of the court to score it.

I would have to agree its MRR and its not close, but it is refreshing that not everybody thinks it is MRR and that some other great griz players are getting recognition.

Paytonlives said:
Obviously, none of the early voters saw Sugar Ray play... There Is ZERO chance that any of the others in this poll are in the same category...

Don't believe me? Who was the #4 pick in the first round of the NBA draft two spots ahead of Larry Bird?

Who lead the NBA in steals and assists?
Who is the only player that Magic Johnson said he was in awe of?
Or you could just search goggle for quotes about MRR from Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson...

Yes he had drug problems, but UM will never see another MRR.

Case closed...

Agreed.

I once had a chance to see Michael Ray play during a trip to Denver many years ago. He was with the Golden State Warriors, then, if I remember right. There was a blizzard that night, so a lot of fans didn't show up and we got to move down near the floor.

He had a triple double against the Nuggets. Which wasn't too unusual for him. Even though he was may have been hopped up on something.

I don't know if any other UM alum has had any triple doubles, or even any double doubles, in the NBA, but he had a number of 'em....

This really isn't close. It's Michael Ray. I'm of that generation and sorry younger folks never saw him...or Griz basketball in general in the 70s. Eric Hayes on a good day was good as any also.

Watched lots of MRR games live in Adams Field house. Unbelievable talent...sad waste of talent. There's never been another like him at UM and never will be.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Looks like a well deserved runaway.....................this poll is as dominating as his on court play.

Well, when you log on 8 accounts in the first 12 minutes of a poll to vote for Martin of course it's going to look like a runaway.

Now that other people have started to see the thread and you've run out of accounts it's looking more like it should. MRR way out in front. No one else even really close.

I thought Matt Martin was a hell of a player for the Griz though. Glad we had him for 4 years and he was obviously a huge part of the success we had getting us to back to back NCAA tournaments.

I believe that MRR is no doubt the best ever Griz. Also believe it's easy to argue for best ever in the Big Sky.

Unfortunately he also may be the best example of what the U is willing to put up with to win. Believe most to include coaches knew what fueled MRR and pretty sure he wasn't a scholar student.

I understand that he is a very personable fellow and is now clean and coaching. Got to applaud him for turning around his life.

Back