• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best All Around Player the Griz have ever had?

Who is the Best All Around Griz Mens Basketball Player?

• Matt Martin

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Michael Ray Richardson

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • Larry Krystkowiak

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Gary Kane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Breunig

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
1. MR
2. Krystkowiak
3. Bob Cope.. might back it up. One needs to look past recent history. Part of the 27-4 team... back in the late 40's. Missoula Kid.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFroHKpMDKAhUUWWMKHRFNDpgQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gogriz.com%2Fnews%2F2002%2F2%2F8%2FFormer_Griz_Basketball_Star_Bob_Cope_to_be_Recognized.aspx&usg=AFQjCNGzDTQ-lrtzwIrBTLqhKwW3BKTPlw

Paytonlives said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Just because you say something doesnt make it true. You are a prototypical sponge that thinks things because the media tells you to think that way. You probably think Jordan was the best basketball player of all time too dont you.

Jordan is not in the top 3

If Martin had MRR size he would tear up the NBA and thats the only reason he didnt, SIZE.
Ok.. smoke on.

Btw... I saw both of them play many times and what you are saying is truly insane. But it's a free country...

Jeez, Payton, whatsa matta wit ya? If Shannon Cate had had balls, she'd be the greatest player ever at Montana. If Matt Martin were 15 feet tall, he'd a been a giraffe. If Alpha were born today, he'd be wearin' Bison Booties. What's not to get here?

Matt Martin pound for pound best all around player in Montana History and it's not even close.

MM didn't even need drug addictions and stupid grammar to get the job done!

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Matt Martin pound for pound best all around player in Montana History and it's not even close.

MM didn't even need drug addictions and stupid grammar to get the job done!

Alpha's arguments be sinkin'....

I see Alpha is practicing his stirring the pot skills with it being football off season. There is no way he can be serious that Matt Martin is the best all around GRIZ basketball player. I know and like Matt. He brought a lot to the team when he played. Personally, he is one of my favorite GRIZ hoopsters. Despite that, no way I could put him that high on this list.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKe0h6o6LR8[/youtube]
Matt Martin is entering his second year [as of 2012] as a Graduate Assistant Coach for the Wolves. Originally from Spearfish, SD Martin was a 3-Time All-State AA Basketball player & helped Spearfish to state titles in Football & Basketball. Following high school Martin played at the University of Montana. At Montana he helped the Grizzlies to back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances including the schools first ever first round NCAA tournament win over 5th seeded Nevada. He finished his career at Montana ranked 2nd all-time in career 3 -pointers made & 7th in the Big Sky Conference history. Martin also scored over 1,000 points and finished in the top ten in school history in career assist. He was recently nominated for the Griz All-Decade team.

Following college Martin played professionally in Europe. He played in the elite league in England the BBL. As a pro he average 18 ppg 6 apg and was named 4-time BBL league player of the week. Martin helped the Leicester Riders to BBL Cup quarterfinals.
http://www.nsuwolvesathletics.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball&rc=364
I recall, the Griz voted him "most inspirational player" his senior year.

mtgrizrule said:
I see Alpha is practicing his stirring the pot skills with it being football off season. There is no way he can be serious that Matt Martin is the best all around GRIZ basketball player. I know and like Matt. He brought a lot to the team when he played. Personally, he is one of my favorite GRIZ hoopsters. Despite that, no way I could put him that high on this list.
It's not my fault you suck at judging talent.

Matt tore Europe a new asshole when he played over there. My work here is done his play speaks for itself and anyone that thinks for themselves appreciates the terminator he is....was.....and always will be.

All around skill level would have to include defense....Michael Ray easily.

Very reminiscent of who I believe is the greatest all around NBA talent ever....the Big O, Oscar Robertson.

I don't care. For me there have been so many, each unique, that choosing one means setting a standard that excludes other bests. So, I'd choose Rudolph Zip Rhoads, or Terry Screenar or Dan Balko or Jimmy Powell because they were my early heroes and ignited my love for Griz basketball, where I've been fortunate to watch so many all-time greats.

Here I will give you a name that could be a great conversation.

MRR or Anthony Johnson

Johnson only played two years at UM and had 1124 points, if he had duplicated those numbers for 4 year he would be the all-time leading scorer by 231 points

Johnson shot 87.3% from FT line in his carrer (#1 all-time)
Had 185 Assists X2 = 370 (would be 4th all-time for Griz)

And shot 45% from 3 point range as a senior...

Oh and his 42 point single game record beat MRR by 2 (Though MRR did not have the advantage of 3 pointers)

Paytonlives said:
Here I will give you a name that could be a great conversation.

MRR or Anthony Johnson

Johnson only played two years at UM and had 1124 points, if he had duplicated those numbers for 4 year he would be the all-time leading scorer by 231 points

Johnson shot 87.3% from FT line in his carrer (#1 all-time)
Had 185 Assists X2 = 370 (would be 4th all-time for Griz)

And shot 45% from 3 point range as a senior...

Oh and his 42 point single game record beat MRR by 2 (Though MRR did not have the advantage of 3 pointers)
That is a good conversation point.....for second place. :coffee:

Back