• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BEST Candidates - Post Yours Below!

Kodiak said:
Andy Thompson would be a good hire. Former player. Defensive Guy. Young. Smart. PNW ties.
In line to be NAU coach when they finally do let Jerome Sourers really leave.

Given the history of UM and drop downs from Corvallis who made the 95 team possible, Joe Douglass, why not Mike Riley? Missoula would be a much easier sell than Lincoln.

I’ve heard from multiple sources that TY G has been in contact. Could you all imagine the implosion of us hiring from the cats. That being said I think he knows he’s the cats next HC when Choate can’t get it done next year again

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
Nick Patrino might be a good choice. I know it is a roll of the dice because he is young and no HC experience. But he comes from good as football a background as you can get. Kinda like a Kyle Shanahan for college football. Current QB coach at Louisville. 150,000 salary.

Petrino, and HELL NO. He played QB at Northern for one year. TRUST ME

George Ferguson said:
Forshizzlegrizzle said:
Nick Patrino might be a good choice. I know it is a roll of the dice because he is young and no HC experience. But he comes from good as football a background as you can get. Kinda like a Kyle Shanahan for college football. Current QB coach at Louisville. 150,000 salary.

Petrino, and HELL NO. He played QB at Northern for one year. TRUST ME

Nick Petrino? I wouldn't take Bobby Petrino if he wanted to coach UM for free. That family is a dumpster fire.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Given the history of UM and drop downs from Corvallis who made the 95 team possible, Joe Douglass, why not Mike Riley? Missoula would be a much easier sell than Lincoln.
Fuck Mike Riley and his joke of a damn offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My :twocents: : If we aren't hiring Bobby Hauck for this job, there's no way we find someone more qualified or better suited for the gig than him. We'll have to take another chance on another coach from a DII program or on a "drop-down" coordinator from an FBS program who will only view Montana as a short-term stepping stone into bigger and better things. And I'm not convinced Hauck would see it any differently.

Another :twocents: :If Haslem pulled the plug on the Stitt experiment without having an Ace in the hole, he's a fool. The football program has been left in a state of disarray, with dwindling fan and booster support, with a bare-bones coaching staff, and with a new incoming University President whose support of athletics we are not yet able to gauge. Our former head coach was just fired after year 3 of a 5 year process, after 3 consecutive winning seasons, after landing top 10 recruiting classes in two consecutive years, while digging the program out of the hole left by NCAA sanctions, loss of scholarships, and poor University leadership.

My final :twocents: : Bob Stitt did an admirable job, considering the hand he was dealt. He was a scapegoat. Whoever is hired will be our fifth head coach in ten years (!), which is a sign of a disreputable program. I'm afraid that next year is year zero, again.

hilinegrizfan said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
grizfnz said:
Grizz93 said:
Matt Lubick co-offensive coordinator at the University of Washington. Lots of Montana ties.
He makes roughly 475k at UW right now and made 600k at Oregon.

The pay scale Montana can offer will be the largest hurdle to overcome in finding a high profile coach.
This likely leads to searching through FCS assistants rather than established Power 5 FBS assistants.

Coaching Montana has much to offer prospects but a large pay check won't be one of the perks. :ugeek:

Lots of people, including myself, gave up much higher paying jobs to come live in Missoula. Happiness is not defined by size of paycheck. Quality of life is huge, and sometimes one just needs to leave Montana for awhile to realize how special this place is. I was one of these people. Sounds like Bobby might have the same beliefs.

TOTALLY AGREE !!!! :thumb: I personally can speak to this. Having left the state twice (But remained a Griz fan both times) the 2nd time I came back, I vowed to NEVER EVER leave Montana again. As we all know, there is something special about being both a true "Montanan" and a true "Griz Fan"........ I feel there is a real chance that the lifestyle can and will be a game changer in the perks department for a new head coach.

Ringneck said:
My :twocents: : If we aren't hiring Bobby Hauck for this job, there's no way we find someone more qualified or better suited for the gig than him. We'll have to take another chance on another coach from a DII program or on a "drop-down" coordinator from an FBS program who will only view Montana as a short-term stepping stone into bigger and better things. And I'm not convinced Hauck would see it any differently.

Another :twocents: :If Haslem pulled the plug on the Stitt experiment without having an Ace in the hole, he's a fool. The football program has been left in a state of disarray, with dwindling fan and booster support, with a bare-bones coaching staff, and with a new incoming University President whose support of athletics we are not yet able to gauge. Our former head coach was just fired after year 3 of a 5 year process, after 3 consecutive winning seasons, after landing top 10 recruiting classes in two consecutive years, while digging the program out of the hole left by NCAA sanctions, loss of scholarships, and poor University leadership.

My final :twocents: : Bob Stitt did an admirable job, considering the hand he was dealt. He was a scapegoat. Whoever is hired will be our fifth head coach in ten years (!), which is a sign of a disreputable program. I'm afraid that next year is year zero, again.

Well said.

Ringneck said:
We'll have to take another chance on another coach from a DII program or on a "drop-down" coordinator from an FBS program who will only view Montana as a short-term stepping stone into bigger and better things.

I think a P5 FBS coordinator is a pipe dream. If you meant P5 FBS position coach, I would agree. I could see non P5 coordinators interested possibly.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Ringneck said:
We'll have to take another chance on another coach from a DII program or on a "drop-down" coordinator from an FBS program who will only view Montana as a short-term stepping stone into bigger and better things.

I think a P5 FBS coordinator is a pipe dream. If you meant P5 FBS position coach, I would agree. I could see non P5 coordinators interested possibly.

Right, I agree. Good clarification.

I second Mike Kramer. Sure he bombed at Idaho State, but who doesn't.

He's got a few good years left and he'd love to stick it to MSU.

Ringneck said:

I worry about this myself.....
GO GRIZ!!!!

CatzWillRise said:
I second Mike Kramer. Sure he bombed at Idaho State, but who doesn't.

He's got a few good years left and he'd love to stick it to MSU.
Mike Kramer would love this job for sure but there is no way the BOR would allow that. He would be a blast as HC but there is no way we would win a NC with him. We might beat the Huskies with him coaching and then lose to Central Washington the next week.

Back