• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BEST Candidates - Post Yours Below!

AZGrizFan said:
41GrizFan said:
Ursus1 said:
In order to beat a dead horse.....Stitt would still be the coach if he had not had 2 years of Semore and Neikamp as coordinators. That was his Achilles heel keeping them in position after collapse last year. Change them out last winter likely holds on to EWU lead, beats Cats and we are on to playoffs. Other than that he did well in every other area in my opinion.....

No defensive coordinator is going to be successful when he not only has to contend with the opposite teams offense , but also has to contend with his own team ignoring basic concepts like TOP, field position etc.

Not gonna be successful when you can’t hold a team on 3rd & 21, 3rd & 25 and 3rd and 33 either. Those happened in the EWU, Weber & MSU games...and there were LOTS more of those. Semore was his own worst enemy...he can hardly blame Stitt’s offensive system.

Blitzing a poor passing QB on 3rd and forever is a Madden/PlayStation move....no other DC at the FCS, Hell NAIA level would do it once....let alone again after being torched the first time. Let Murray complete a pass for 15 yards and they punt....assuming he could do that with 8 in pass coverage. That had ZERO to do with Stitt offense style.....only his inadequacies as a coach and some ego thing trying to get a sack for glory. Armstrong played on his stupid playcalling....

Would love to see this guy coaching the GRIZ:

https://postmediacalgarysun.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/cs20171118jw029.jpg

driftwood said:
I don't think you can look to the midwest unless the guy has ties to Montana. That region has never been a hotbed for recruiting and there are too many schools for Montana to recruit against. Stick to the PNW and find a guy that knows the importance of scouring the entire state to find the hidden gems (and obviously land the majority of elite MT talent)

you obviously dont know football recruiting well. No talent in the midwest??? In case you havent figured it out in order to truly achieve well you best get a NATIONAL presence. if you havent noticed we been getting our asses handed to us in the PNW for about 5yrs now. Let that in state shit go...Theres quality football talent in Montana - but NOT enough higher quality FB talent in Montana to turn the program around! When was the last time you saw BSC opponents turning over rocks in MT to steal that talent?

daGrizJ said:
Ok people, get some imagination and let go of the ex-wife Bobby Hauck.

Mike Lynch- Co-OC of Syracuse- Griz player 99-2000- long shot yes but open your minds
Matt Entz- DC at NDSU- not impossible
Jay Hill- Weber St HC w/ his OC- if you want power running w/ a nice balance
Tanner Engstrand- Ass HC/OC at U of San Diego- they score about 50 PPG

That's about a 15 min Goggle search. I hope Haslam takes at least that long.

:thumb: tall order asking some of these folks to use their imagination constructively!

bearister said:
Ringneck said:
My :twocents: : If we aren't hiring Bobby Hauck for this job, there's no way we find someone more qualified or better suited for the gig than him. We'll have to take another chance on another coach from a DII program or on a "drop-down" coordinator from an FBS program who will only view Montana as a short-term stepping stone into bigger and better things. And I'm not convinced Hauck would see it any differently.

Another :twocents: :If Haslem pulled the plug on the Stitt experiment without having an Ace in the hole, he's a fool. The football program has been left in a state of disarray, with dwindling fan and booster support, with a bare-bones coaching staff, and with a new incoming University President whose support of athletics we are not yet able to gauge. Our former head coach was just fired after year 3 of a 5 year process, after 3 consecutive winning seasons, after landing top 10 recruiting classes in two consecutive years, while digging the program out of the hole left by NCAA sanctions, loss of scholarships, and poor University leadership.

My final :twocents: : Bob Stitt did an admirable job, considering the hand he was dealt. He was a scapegoat. Whoever is hired will be our fifth head coach in ten years (!), which is a sign of a disreputable program. I'm afraid that next year is year zero, again.

Stitt was too loyal to Semore. He should have cut him loose after last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I said this after the EWU game and continued to say it the rest of the season. The only way stitt could have saved his job would have been to cut loose his d2 baggage that wasn’t up to snuff IMO. He failed to do this. Whether it would have made a difference, who knows, the point is now moot, and UM is moving on. I am both nervous and excited for what comes next. As an alumni watching from afar, the university and its once proud athletic institutions have been in a state of free fall since I graduated in 2010, and its been tough to watch. I hope that this next coach can get the ship righted, and bodnar is an absolute dynamite university president for the sake of our beloved UM [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dream squad would be (not most realistic squad):
Head Coach : Bobby Hauck

OC: Brent Pease
QBs: Andrew Selle
RBs: Chase Reynolds
WRs: Marc Mariani
Oline: Chad Germer

DC/DL: Brandon Fisher
LBs: Ty Gregorak
CBs: Tim Hauck
S: Shann Schillinger
Recruiting: Justin Green

What surprises me is that Chip Kelly is choosing between UCLA and Florida. I understand he didn't even talk to Haslam! Nor did he even visit Missoula!

Dream squad...

HC: Bobby Hauck
OC: Robin Pflugrad
QBs: Jordan Johnson
RBs: Lex Hilliard
WRs: Ferriter
Oline: Scott Gragg
DC: Legi Suiaunoa
Dl: Kroy Biermann
LBs/CBs: Tim Hauck
S: Colt Anderson

jcu27 said:
Dream squad...

Kroy and Kim could start a new show “Housewives of Missoula”!

Found a "Montana" born guy with defensive credibility & a previous PNW championship pedigree.

TOM MASON - UTEP Defensive Coordinator
Mason was born in Montana in 1956. He was a three-sport athlete at Walla Walla High School in Walla Walla, Washington, lettering in football, basketball, and track. Mason played football as a linebacker and tight end. He went on to play linebacker in college at the University of Nevada, Reno. Mason earned a Bachelor of Science degree in physical education and later, while coaching at Eastern Washington University, earned a Master of Science degree in post-secondary education.

Tom+Mason+ABSL1HYIzPnm.jpg

Coaching Career
As a graduate student, then full-time coach, Mason began his college coaching career at Eastern Washington University, where he worked with linebackers and special teams. He then joined head coach Pokey Allen as defensive coordinator at Portland State University, where the Vikings participated in the NCAA Division II playoffs in six out of seven years with two appearances in the national title game. Following Allen to Boise State as defensive coordinator, Mason coached the 1994 Broncos to the NCAA Division I-A title game. During Boise State's first year as a Division I football program, Mason served as Boise State's interim head coach for the first ten games of the 1996 season while Allen was on leave of absence battling with cancer.

Returning to his alma mater, the University of Nevada, Reno, Mason continued in the role as defensive coordinator. After stints in the Canadian Football League with the BC Lions and the XFL, Mason returned to the collegiate level as linebackers coach at Fresno State University before returning to the role of defensive coordinator at SMU. After his interim head coaching tenure at SMU in 2014, he became the defensive coordinator at the University of Hawaii for the 2015 season but was reassigned to an administrative role before the end of the season.

2-18 as an "interim" Head Coach under two less than ideal situation at Boise State & SMU.
Feel free to pick it a part if you want - just throwing another Montana/PNW guy out there that I dont think has ever been mentioned.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
What surprises me is that Chip Kelly is choosing between UCLA and Florida. I understand he didn't even talk to Haslam! Nor did he even visit Missoula!
Did you really expect him to?

Griz til I die said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Can we become realistic in our pursuit & stop it with these delusions of grandeur. There is not ONE marque D1 or even an NFL special teams coach that would consider this a job that is even a lateral move! They would ALL go to Oregon State before coming to UM - now "back to reality."

Griz til I die said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

You really can't pick up on sarcasm? Do you honestly think anybody in the athletic departments reads what is posted in any fan sites?

Until such time as the athletic departments are turned over to an athletic foundation, those of us in Montana will be at the mercy of state funded programs and be faced with Board of Regents based salaries and search guidelines.

The bigger issue to me given the declining enrollment and funding being based upon retention and graduation rate by the former head of the Board of Regents would be: Why doesn't this great business school offer at least a masters program in foundation-nonprofit management?

Until such time, all of the schools in the Montana University System are faced with rather limiting factors that are really counterproductive.

jtgriz2 said:
jcu27 said:
Dream squad...

Kroy and Kim could start a new show “Housewives of Missoula”!

Gragg? Lol

The idea of Tim Hauck dropping down to UM for the same position job he has in the NFL is incredibly hilarious. Hell, even him coming as the DC is hilarious.

Latest posts

Back