• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bodnar - refreshing

PlayerRep said:
Okay, so what did Engstrom have to do with this or these things? I agree that UM generally did well or very well with grants in all or most years when Engstrom was the president. I was told that some of the huge ones had nothing to do with Engstrom.

of course he didn't write them, but he had to support the applications, and that the faculty had the time to collect preliminary data, form teams of researchers, etc etc.

so, how many research grants has bodnar obtained in his life(bqm) how are his connections at the nih and other big granting agencies(bqm) not against him at all, but anyone who has spent time in research at universities knows how important support from the top is, as the admin folks are the only ones who can ok lab space, renovations, etc etc

was never a fan of engstrom, and i'm not against bodnar at all, just the mindless engstrom bashing over stuff people don't know squat about, and the equally mindless assumption that bodnar will be good for all facets of the university.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
Okay, so what did Engstrom have to do with this or these things? I agree that UM generally did well or very well with grants in all or most years when Engstrom was the president. I was told that some of the huge ones had nothing to do with Engstrom.

of course he didn't write them, but he had to support the applications, and that the faculty had the time to collect preliminary data, form teams of researchers, etc etc.

so, how many research grants has bodnar obtained in his life(bqm) how are his connections at the nih and other big granting agencies(bqm) not against him at all, but anyone who has spent time in research at universities knows how important support from the top is, as the admin folks are the only ones who can ok lab space, renovations, etc etc

was never a fan of engstrom, and i'm not against bodnar at all, just the mindless engstrom bashing over stuff people don't know squat about, and the equally mindless assumption that bodnar will be good for all facets of the university.

Nice try Royce.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/um-announces-largest-research-grant-in-school-history/article_47e0f6fc-dd1c-11e3-ad70-0019bb2963f4.html

engstrom hit all the right notes here. credits the faculty and the state's investment in research and those who conduct it. same as with the finke donation of 15 million. also, didn't the sports academic center and new training digs get their main funding under engstrom(bqm)

SoldierGriz said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

Nice try Royce.

Ahhh...I could see it

AZDoc said:
SoldierGriz said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

Nice try Royce.

Ahhh...I could see it

are you a real doctor or a pt guy(bqm)

argh! said:
AZDoc said:
SoldierGriz said:
argh! said:

Nice try Royce.

Ahhh...I could see it

are you a real doctor or a pt guy(bqm)

I'm legit! You a real Griz fan or a cat fan that enjoys trolling (wqm)

self-anointed doctor. the best kind. at the weed shop.

otherwise, i thought they were very professional

Points finger....

"You're fired!" ~ S. Bodnar

And so it begins. Sounds like things were a mess. Numbers weren't adding up. Reports contradicted each other.

Paula will be glad to speak up in the mean time. She loves to hear herself talk.

signedbewildered said:
Points finger....

And so it begins. Sounds like things were a mess. Numbers weren't adding up. Reports contradicted each other.

Paula will be glad to speak up in the mean time. She loves to hear herself talk.

curious where you are getting your info beyond that article, which numbers you are talking about that weren't adding up, and where one can find them to see for oneself.

I believe he's referring to this latest news....

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-enrollment-vice-president-out/article_a0ca0673-08bd-5f53-8c22-cfa202c0d931.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

argh! said:
signedbewildered said:
Points finger....

curious where you are getting your info beyond that article, which numbers you are talking about that weren't adding up, and where one can find them to see for oneself.

I may be misinterpreting things.

#multitasking

If 75 / Michal Sol wasn't band because he is a total ass-hat, he would provide some numbers. He was usually all over this kind of stuff.

Interesting look on changing things up to help with declining enrollments...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/03/21/university-of-wisconsin-campus-pushes-plan-to-drop-13-majors-including-english-history-and-philosophy/?utm_term=.9d533821e880

The not surprising glass-is-half-empty perspective from Dan Brooks (same guy who wrote the very sarcastic Hauck article about winning at all costs):

"Maybe all our struggling state university needs is a fresh perspective. Maybe, though, a person who has never done anything like this before is likely to make the kind of mistakes that people with experience do not. Let’s hope this resumé mistake is the last time Bodnar’s fresh perspective translates to not knowing what everyone else in academia already does."

http://missoulanews.com/opinion/bro...cle_f8d93348-1cc9-11e8-9f81-03fcd880e686.html

GGNez said:
The not surprising glass-is-half-empty perspective from Dan Brooks (same guy who wrote the very sarcastic Hauck article about winning at all costs):

"Maybe all our struggling state university needs is a fresh perspective. Maybe, though, a person who has never done anything like this before is likely to make the kind of mistakes that people with experience do not. Let’s hope this resumé mistake is the last time Bodnar’s fresh perspective translates to not knowing what everyone else in academia already does."

http://missoulanews.com/opinion/bro...cle_f8d93348-1cc9-11e8-9f81-03fcd880e686.html

Brooks and Davey and Florio go way back. If you aren't one of them, they WILL attack you. Go figure.

#birdsofafeather

GGNez said:

This mindset is what is driving high school kids away from here. It is like a roomful of economists or journal editors arguing over a citation mistake, a period inside the parenthesis rather than outside, forgetting to place a comma between a cited author and the date a peer reviewed journal published it rather than view the meaningless research paper in its entirety. Looking down on a regent for using a comma instead of a semicolan? Come on...and don't forget, the regent didn't finish school for ten years!

The old adage applies to Brooks: "Those who can do, those who can't teach, and those who can't teach, teach p.e. or become college professors"

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
GGNez said:

This mindset is what is driving high school kids away from here. It is like a roomful of economists or journal editors arguing over a citation mistake, a period inside the parenthesis rather than outside, forgetting to place a comma between a cited author and the date a peer reviewed journal published it rather than view the meaningless research paper in its entirety. Looking down on a regent for using a comma instead of a semicolan? Come on...and don't forget, the regent didn't finish school for ten years!

The old adage applies to Brooks: "Those who can do, those who can't teach, and those who can't teach, teach p.e. or become college professors"

Note that Clay Christian isn't a Regent.

From the WaPost article linked above. Note the last few words: "... a chance to lay off faculty under new rules that weakened tenure."

"The University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point has proposed dropping 13 majors in the humanities and social sciences — including English, philosophy, history, sociology and Spanish — while adding programs with “clear career pathways” as a way to address declining enrollment and a multimillion-dollar deficit.

Students and faculty members have reacted with surprise and concern to the news, which is being portrayed by the school’s administration as a path to regain enrollment and provide new opportunities to students. Critics see something else: a waning commitment to liberal arts education and a chance to lay off faculty under new rules that weakened tenure."

PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
GGNez said:

Note that Clay Christian isn't a Regent.

Then it baffles me as to why he is still referred to as Commissioner Christian. Anyway, how is this university going to reverse its trajectory? It is my belief there are more who actually care about the school on the outside than those on the inside.

Back