• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching changes can be tough, a quick look back

Ursus1 said:
what happens to the confidence level if they pick up the 4th down and score 7...

Or what happens to confidence level after failing twice and then losing to the Dweebs...AT HOME for the first time since 1987! We see what it has done to the confidence in Stitt by alumni that's for sure

I'm still very confident in Stitt.

Everyone needs to R-E-L-A-X Relax...Winning is a process, give Stitt a chance to get more of his type of guys in there, we'll be ok these are just growing pains of transitioning into a new system

get'em_griz said:
Ursus1 said:
what happens to the confidence level if they pick up the 4th down and score 7...

Or what happens to confidence level after failing twice and then losing to the Dweebs...AT HOME for the first time since 1987! We see what it has done to the confidence in Stitt by alumni that's for sure

Agreed. I would say that the confidence expressed by some on this message board by no means represents a majority of alumni, fans, and boosters.

The_Real_Chief said:
Everyone needs to R-E-L-A-X Relax...Winning is a process, give Stitt a chance to get more of his type of guys in there, we'll be ok these are just growing pains of transitioning into a new system

Exactly what I was saying, we still got a shot at the playoffs with a 1st year coach....playing with a bunch of dudes that he didnt choose. Were gonna be just fine.

I have made it abundantly clear these past days that I have lost my confidence in Stitt. However, I think replacing him would be worse. Another coaching change would make this program reel for a decade at least.

I may get my confidence in Stitt back, but his product that he is paid to produce (even without players he recruited) is sub-par at best. At least we had a shot at the playoffs in Pflugrad's first year and had a winning record. Delaney gets a pass because of the circumstances and upheaval at the university.

I really really want Stitt to succeed. I just don't think he will. Won't stop me from cheering for the Griz!

BWahlberg said:
get'em_griz said:
Ursus1 said:

Agreed. I would say that the confidence expressed by some on this message board by no means represents a majority of alumni, fans, and boosters.

I would say the majority of alumni, fans, and boosters are disappointed right now. Perhaps there are some who are pleased with the product and progress being made. Some are optimistic about our future. I am neutral at best. The product and progress is simply not good right now. Injuries and obvious challenges on the O-line have much to do with it. But, so does coaching. It's OK to question the coaching...we pay him. The bar should remain high in Griz Nation. Coach Stitt welcomed it.

PDXGrizzly said:
I have made it abundantly clear these past days that I have lost my confidence in Stitt. However, I think replacing him would be worse. Another coaching change would make this program reel for a decade at least.

I may get my confidence in Stitt back, but his product that he is paid to produce (even without players he recruited) is sub-par at best. At least we had a shot at the playoffs in Pflugrad's first year and had a winning record. Delaney gets a pass because of the circumstances and upheaval at the university.

I really really want Stitt to succeed. I just don't think he will. Won't stop me from cheering for the Griz!

Uhh we still do have a shot at the playoffs. Also did any of those coaches have to start their 3rd string QB halfway through the year? I dont understand why people are so down.....Stitts system isn't just comparible to coming in and teaching everyone a power run game.....its very complex and takes a very long time to master. I dont undstand how some fail to realize that?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
PDXGrizzly said:

Uhh we still do have a shot at the playoffs. Also did any of those coaches have to start their 3rd string QB halfway through the year? I dont understand why people are so down.....Stitts system isn't just comparible to coming in and teaching everyone a power run game.....its very complex and takes a very long time to master. I dont undstand how some fail to realize that?

Losing to Weber at home. That's how.

SoldierGriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PDXGrizzly said:

When going through a transitional phase you're probably going to lose some games you expect to win every year. We shouldnt be surprised at any losses or wins this season....except to the Cats..thats always an expected win...that programs trash!

SoldierGriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PDXGrizzly said:

When going through a transitional phase you're probably going to lose some games you expect to win every year. We shouldnt be surprised at any losses or wins this season....except to the Cats..thats always an expected win...that programs trash![/quote]

Beating the cats...on this we agree!

I am all for giving the guy a pass on the transition piece of the this discussion.

Violating basic coaching principals due to a lack of confidence in the kicker or arrogance or stupidity is sophomoric at best. High School Coaches use the same "card" that says kick the field goals and take the points. I would think the captain of a football program as storied as Montana's would be coaching with the same card. All of the failed fourth down conversions seem like a desperate move to prove one's masculinity more than sound coaching decisions based on putting your team in the best position to win.

The Griz fans I have talked to in Billings are upset, to put it mildly !!!

I can accept it when we flat get whipped--I am not happy about it, hate losing, but tip my cap to the other team !!! For example, the Liberty game--Liberty whipped us fair and square.

But when we are twice within the opponent's 10 yard line deep in the red zone in the 3rd and 4th Qtr and we come away with 0 points because our coach is inflexibly dogmatic and is relying on our highly-talented but also highly-inexperienced third-string QB to execute pass plays to get a first down, it sounds to me like our coach failed to adjust to the reality of a close game with our third-string QB at the helm.

I cam understand going for the first down once in that situation, but surely not twice and coming away with 0 points in a close game where a FG could easily decide the outcome !!!

I have to agree with Putter, PDX, and highplains on this one. I didn't think we were going to win the NC this year in Coach Stitt's inaugural season. I also thought we could go 9-2, 8-3, or 7-4 and make the playoffs--Coach Stitt did inherit a winning program from Mick, a playoff program. It's not like he had to start from Square One !!! We can't afford to be giving games away !!!

More later ...

highplainsgriz said:
I am all for giving the guy a pass on the transition piece of the this discussion.

Violating basic coaching principals due to a lack of confidence in the kicker or arrogance or stupidity is sophomoric at best. High School Coaches use the same "card" that says kick the field goals and take the points. I would think the captain of a football program as storied as Montana's would be coaching with the same card. All of the failed fourth down conversions seem like a desperate move to prove one's masculinity more than sound coaching decisions based on putting your team in the best position to win.

We can beat the field goals thing into the ground. Should have kicked them.

That said, Haslam knew what he was getting when he hired Stitt - he was all the same things @ Mines. As for being desperate to prove masculinity, not on the card. Man wanted to win, and though it will be blasphemous to say, I don't think he wanted the game on the backs of the defense. They'd been out there a long time, like every game this year. Weber's response to what happened was to continue to try to take time off the clock by running. Had the score gotten closer, they would have likely tried to open it up and throw it. So the flow of the game might have been different, and just kicking the field goals may not have been enough. There may not have been an opportunity for Roberts to catch the pass that ties the game, because Weber says screw the conservative plan.

Convention (coaching principals) didn't beat NDSU, lose to Poly, Liberty & Weber. We can all act like the spoiled fanbase we are, or ride the thing out. Stitts not crazy, he'll adapt and change just like he has in coaching kids whose IQ's were head and shoulders over their athletic skills. The day Stitt starts reading it off the f$&king card, will be the day Haslem needs to start the search over. Long live the unconventional...

Everyone is bent out of shape about not kicking the FG's...thing is, there was no guarantee they make them and even if they do, it doesn't mean they would have won the game...

One thing is crystal clear to me, our defense has won 2 of the three games this year (NDSU is a bit of an anomaly) and they have kept us within striking distance of the other three. Defensive wins will by definition be low scoring and so you have to take any points you can get. Yes, field goals are not automatic but going for it on 4th down with a 3rd string QB is even less. I wish, hope, and pray for a bust out game for the offense but until then these are going to be grind 'em out affairs and you gotta take the highest percentage attempt at getting ANY point. Anything else is denial.

I think comparing the coaching transitions if fairly unfair. While we can expect some bumps in the road, I don't think it should be quite THIS bumpy. Sure, Delaney didn't have the best of records but I would say Delaney's situation was MUCH worse than Stitt's. Hauck essentially played in a whole different era of football in the BSC. The BSC is the best it's ever been and we are going to lose games that would be mind boggling 8 years a go.

That said I think Delaney did a good job of leaving a fairly solid program for Stitt. The problem so far seems to be that Stitt has a lot to learn at this level and that is ok. Delaney and Hauck were more familiar with the level of competition at our level.

I'm not giving up on Stitt but I will say that I have lost some confidence in him after this last game

Most smart coaches implement a transition over the course of a few years. If they have an offense that was built to run pro style they don’t immediately implement a spread, convert all TE’s in the system to DL and run off all FB’s. They play to their strengths and slowly transition when they have their athletes in place to do so. When Phlugrad came in here he didn’t immediately turn the entire system upside down. We started seeing zone reads but we were still running power formations because that is the personnel he had. It wasn’t his recruits and Robin was not an expert at running Haucks style of offense but he has a good enough grasp of football offenses to use what he had. When Delaney took over you still saw lots of zone reads as he was transitioning to pro style because that is what the players were use to.

I am not convinced Stitt has the capacity to make the transition without wrecking the entire system for the time being. He may eventually get it to work but it will be a rocky road.

indian-outlaw said:
Most smart coaches implement a transition over the course of a few years. If they have an offense that was built to run pro style they don’t immediately implement a spread, convert all TE’s in the system to DL and run off all FB’s. They play to their strengths and slowly transition when they have their athletes in place to do so. When Phlugrad came in here he didn’t immediately turn the entire system upside down. We started seeing zone reads but we were still running power formations because that is the personnel he had. It wasn’t his recruits and Robin was not an expert at running Haucks style of offense but he has a good enough grasp of football offenses to use what he had. When Delaney took over you still saw lots of zone reads as he was transitioning to pro style because that is what the players were use to.

I am not convinced Stitt has the capacity to make the transition without wrecking the entire system for the time being. He may eventually get it to work but it will be a rocky road.

Basically this.

You have to coach to your personnel. Stitt will have to get the kids for his style and that takes time. We understand that. If you inherit the Alabama Crimson Tide you don't immediately go air raid and 5 wide.

I mean this is a concept of football that is lost sometimes on coaches at every level. We are still seeing Kubiak not meshing well the personnel he has in Denver.(the only reason they are still undefeated is because that defense is insane)

billingsgriz said:

I can accept it when we flat get whipped--I am not happy about it, hate losing, but tip my cap to the other team !!! For example, the Liberty game--Liberty whipped us fair and square.

But when we are twice within the opponent's 10 yard line deep in the red zone in the 3rd and 4th Qtr and we come away with 0 points because our coach is inflexibly dogmatic and is relying on our highly-talented but also highly-inexperienced third-string QB to execute pass plays to get a first down, it sounds to me like our coach failed to adjust to the reality of a close game with our third-string QB at the helm.

I cam understand going for the first down once in that situation, but surely not twice and coming away with 0 points in a close game where a FG could easily decide the outcome !!!

I have to agree with Putter, PDX, and highplains on this one. I didn't think we were going to win the NC this year in Coach Stitt's inaugural season. I also thought we could go 9-2, 8-3, or 7-4 and make the playoffs--Coach Stitt did inherit a winning program from Mick, a playoff program. It's not like he had to start from Square One !!! We can't afford to be giving games away !!!

More later ...

Who truly thought that we'd win the NC this year? :?

get'em_griz said:
billingsgriz said:

More later ...

Who truly thought that we'd win the NC this year? :?

No reasonable fan would have. But, what's reasonable about being a Griz fan?

Back