• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching changes can be tough, a quick look back

indian-outlaw said:
Most smart coaches implement a transition over the course of a few years. If they have an offense that was built to run pro style they don’t immediately implement a spread, convert all TE’s in the system to DL and run off all FB’s. They play to their strengths and slowly transition when they have their athletes in place to do so. When Phlugrad came in here he didn’t immediately turn the entire system upside down. We started seeing zone reads but we were still running power formations because that is the personnel he had. It wasn’t his recruits and Robin was not an expert at running Haucks style of offense but he has a good enough grasp of football offenses to use what he had. When Delaney took over you still saw lots of zone reads as he was transitioning to pro style because that is what the players were use to.

I am not convinced Stitt has the capacity to make the transition without wrecking the entire system for the time being. He may eventually get it to work but it will be a rocky road.

Right on!

Glendivegriz said:
indian-outlaw said:
Most smart coaches implement a transition over the course of a few years. If they have an offense that was built to run pro style they don’t immediately implement a spread, convert all TE’s in the system to DL and run off all FB’s. They play to their strengths and slowly transition when they have their athletes in place to do so. When Phlugrad came in here he didn’t immediately turn the entire system upside down. We started seeing zone reads but we were still running power formations because that is the personnel he had. It wasn’t his recruits and Robin was not an expert at running Haucks style of offense but he has a good enough grasp of football offenses to use what he had. When Delaney took over you still saw lots of zone reads as he was transitioning to pro style because that is what the players were use to.

I am not convinced Stitt has the capacity to make the transition without wrecking the entire system for the time being. He may eventually get it to work but it will be a rocky road.

Right on!

This is spot on.

grizindabox said:
Everyone is bent out of shape about not kicking the FG's...thing is, there was no guarantee they make them and even if they do, it doesn't mean they would have won the game...
Just as there is no guarantee that they would have won the game had they converted either 4th down. You take the points when they are there, especially with a feeble red zone offense. And check out Sullivan's FG percentage from those distances before you assign too much risk for missing them. It's roughly twice our percentage of converting 4th downs and most of those successful conversions were not in the red zone.

indian-outlaw said:

This is a great post, as usual for Indian-Outlaw. One of the more reasonable posters on here. He was one of, if not the only poster on here that warned the rest of egriz that Weber could very well beat you.

You're damn right that is what most smart coaches do, but what I don't get is why some of you are surprised that Stitt is definitely NOT going that route? I'm not saying he's dumb, but he clearly told everyone what his plans were. Paraphrasing here but he has said from day one that he was determined to prove that "his stuff" worked at this level. He said early on there would be no tight ends, no full backs, very little punting, and that his goal was to run more plays than any other team in the country. That is what he knows, and all he knows. The rest of the world tried to tell you that it was a HUGE change in philosophy a very risky gamble. Go back and look as the posts.

Will be very telling to watch and see if he's willing to make any changes and adapt at all, or if he's going to ride his brand into the ground, taking the griz program with it. :eek:

indian-outlaw said:

What team were you watching that year?

He completely tried to implement his style. So much so that 90% of this board was furious, and most threads consisted of everyone saying how pig-headed he was for trying to force his system instead of running a "transitional" offense. Do I really have to go back and pull up all the threads where people were absolutely vilifying him for "wasting" Chase Reynolds and the huge offensive line?

He eventually relented and ran a more Bobby-like offense in the last three games (where we went 1-2, by the way).

And guess what? The inroads he made in implementing his system in 2010 paid dividends in 2011, even though it still took until November before it started clicking.

eGriz has zero patience, and an incredibly short memory, as illustrated by all these people trying to whitewash 2010 and compare it to this season.

nzone said:
Glendivegriz said:
indian-outlaw said:

Right on!

This is spot on.

Did you guys actually watch any of those games and teams? Pflu blew it up and ran his offense from day one for which he too was crucified because it wasn't Hauck and because they went three and out so frequently. The reason he had the success he had in year two was that he went through the bumpy period in year one, and not because his recruits came in and righted the ship in year two. Do you remember JJ coming in and playing as a true freshman? Delaney blew it up because he wanted something he was more comfortable with, just as his kid QB returned. He didn't wise up and change it back until it was too late to build continuity out of his second transition in three years. Do you remember the smooth transition of run to the right for two yards, run to the left for a loss of four and throwing a 50-60 yard pass that was 9 out of 10 times incomplete? Transitions aren't smooth when you are changing systems. Having the expectation that they shouldn't because they're upsetting your apple cart is pretty near-sighted. But then again, you guys would have rather had big game Bobby here to right the ship...

They had an interesting point on College Gameday last Saturday bout coaching changes, even when it isn't a guy getting fired. When a new coach comes in, he invariably gets rid of some players, and some move from the front of the pack to the back of the pack. Sometimes a few, sometimes a lot. When you move someone to the back of the pack, they are pissed, and can be a problem. When you get rid of a guy, he still has friends on the team who are pissed that their friend is gone.

Their point was that it will take at least 3 years to get everyone on board with the new coach and staff, regardless of the situation the new coach came into. The only exception is sometimes when you elevate from the same staff.

grizpack said:
They had an interesting point on College Gameday last Saturday bout coaching changes, even when it isn't a guy getting fired. When a new coach comes in, he invariably gets rid of some players, and some move from the front of the pack to the back of the pack. Sometimes a few, sometimes a lot. When you move someone to the back of the pack, they are pissed, and can be a problem. When you get rid of a guy, he still has friends on the team who are pissed that their friend is gone.

Their point was that it will take at least 3 years to get everyone on board with the new coach and staff, regardless of the situation the new coach came into. The only exception is sometimes when you elevate from the same staff.

Again, I have no problem with Stitt going for it on 4th down. I have no problem with him telling the FB and TE that they have no place. Montana is tied for 73rd in Red-Zone efficiency (believe the Cats are 4th) so they have struggled mightely scoring. My frustration is a coach, who has to know about the struggles of this team, who knows that his O-Line is not quality right now, is on his 3rd string QB, is not taking (or attempting to) get 3 points. The offense has to be frustrated not getting points on the board drive after drive and at least getting a FG may provide that spark needed for the next drive..... :twocents:

I don’t have a problem with the calls to go for it on 4th down or the reasoning behind it. I like the aggressive style. I also don’t have a problem with him immediately installing his offense. For the math guys here the area under the curve will be the same. It will be a shorter but more painful transition to turn the entire system on its ear but understand that is what he is doing. I am just saying that he could have implemented his offense at a little slower pace and probably had more success on the field this year. Adapt the offense to the players on the roster instead of the other way around. I personally think the griz have plenty of athletes to compete for a BSC title this year.

Ha ha, some "fans" spend a helluva lot of time doing research to justify their misery.

Stitt needs a chance to do some wholesale recruiting to shore up all the weaknesses left behind by his predecessor. Even at wide receiver. We need more speed and depth at that position. Stitt is recruiting it, just as he should.

Stitt gets three years to implement his system. Perhaps, during that time, some of our fans should look 200 miles to the east for a team that gratifies their immediate needs and deserves their "support."

AllWeatherFan said:
Ha ha, some "fans" spend a helluva lot of time doing research to justify their misery.

Stitt needs a chance to do some wholesale recruiting to shore up all the weaknesses left behind by his predecessor. Even at wide receiver. We need more speed and depth at that position. Stitt is recruiting it, just as he should.

Stitt gets three years to implement his system. Perhaps, during that time, some of our fans should look 200 miles to the east for a team that gratifies their immediate needs and deserves their "support."

Other than o-line, I don't think many weaknesses were left behind. Not having the 4 additional scholarships has an impact.

I don't think the Griz will ever have this much receiver talent and depth again. Henderson, Jones and Roberts are outstanding receivers who don't come along very often, and especially at the same time. Some of the younger guys may turn into stars too. The depth is huge. Jones and Henderson are very fast. Others have nice speed. Think what could be happening now with experienced outstanding qb's like JJ and some in the past, especially in an established offense.

Think about what the Griz lose and have to replace for next year. That concerns me a bit.

AllWeatherFan said:

Uhh.. what? I think the one position we don't need much help at is the WR position. Some call our WR corps the best in the country...and if it's not, it's dang close.

Notice I didn't say that we don't have talent at wide receiver right now. I said Stitt continues to recruit receivers, just as he should, for the very reason that we lose some very good players over the next few years.

Oh, wait, you just want to argue that Pflugrad should still be our coach. Have at it. I'll just excuse myself.

Eriul said:
Uhh.. what? I think the one position we don't need much help at is the WR position. Some call our WR corps the best in the country...and if it's not, it's dang close.

So you're advocating for a moratorium on recruiting receivers? For how many years? :roll:

AllWeatherFan said:
Eriul said:

So you're advocating for a moratorium on recruiting receivers? For how many years? :roll:

Your post was not clear that you were indicating for the future. You said we need more speed and depth at WR. And this year we do not need that. We will in the future for sure. In that you are right. But I assumed you were talking about this year.

PlayerRep said:
Think about what the Griz lose and have to replace for next year. That concerns me a bit.
I'm more concerned with loses on the defensive side of the ball. Check out how many senior starters we currently have. It is not so clear the D will be able to carry us next year. They are covering a lot of offensive shortcomings this year. The offense needs to be much better next year.

PlayerRep said:
Other than o-line, I don't think many weaknesses were left behind. Not having the 4 additional scholarships has an impact.
I would add RB and DT. We have not come close to replacing the output of Canada/Van nor do we have an immovable DT like Takai. Also, MD left no experience in the QB position; it's a sin he didn't get Gus some meaningful PT. His loyalty to SSH aside, there were opportunities to let Gus get his feet wet.

Odd, don't college football teams have to replace players every year? I am still wondering how the Griz can recover from the loss of Tripp, Coyle, and Konangata....

I wouldn't doubt another coaching change at DC and defensive line coach. I would think Tye has some interest and Legi may go with him. Nothing to go on but it surely is possible.

PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I don't think the Griz will ever have this much receiver talent and depth again. Henderson, Jones and Roberts are outstanding receivers who don't come along very often, and especially at the same time. Some of the younger guys may turn into stars too. The depth is huge. Jones and Henderson are very fast. Others have nice speed. Think what could be happening now with experienced outstanding qb's like JJ and some in the past, especially in an established offense.

You are right that the 4 scholarships really do have an impact on this program and it will hit home especially bad next season. The defense really looks like it will take a huge step back next season. I think you are wrong about the Grizzlies not having the talent at wide out under coach Stitt in the future. When you can walk into a room and tell a kid that you are going to run 100 plus plays a game, score a ton of points, and play in that atmosphere, you are going to get great talent at wide out and quarterback. I think this is what EWU has done for years (minus the atmosphere). Look for the Grizzlies to make giant strides on the offensive side of the football over the next few season under coach Stitt.

Back