• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching changes can be tough, a quick look back

PDXGrizzly said:
I have made it abundantly clear these past days that I have lost my confidence in Stitt. However, I think replacing him would be worse. Another coaching change would make this program reel for a decade at least.

I may get my confidence in Stitt back, but his product that he is paid to produce (even without players he recruited) is sub-par at best. At least we had a shot at the playoffs in Pflugrad's first year and had a winning record. Delaney gets a pass because of the circumstances and upheaval at the university.

I really really want Stitt to succeed. I just don't think he will. Won't stop me from cheering for the Griz!
Delaney gets a pass? Aren't we suffering through his coaching and recruiting picks now?

bgbigdog said:
nzone said:
Glendivegriz said:
indian-outlaw said:
Most smart coaches implement a transition over the course of a few years. If they have an offense that was built to run pro style they don’t immediately implement a spread, convert all TE’s in the system to DL and run off all FB’s. They play to their strengths and slowly transition when they have their athletes in place to do so. When Phlugrad came in here he didn’t immediately turn the entire system upside down. We started seeing zone reads but we were still running power formations because that is the personnel he had. It wasn’t his recruits and Robin was not an expert at running Haucks style of offense but he has a good enough grasp of football offenses to use what he had. When Delaney took over you still saw lots of zone reads as he was transitioning to pro style because that is what the players were use to.

I am not convinced Stitt has the capacity to make the transition without wrecking the entire system for the time being. He may eventually get it to work but it will be a rocky road.

Right on!

This is spot on.

Did you guys actually watch any of those games and teams? Pflu blew it up and ran his offense from day one for which he too was crucified because it wasn't Hauck and because they went three and out so frequently. The reason he had the success he had in year two was that he went through the bumpy period in year one, and not because his recruits came in and righted the ship in year two. Do you remember JJ coming in and playing as a true freshman? Delaney blew it up because he wanted something he was more comfortable with, just as his kid QB returned. He didn't wise up and change it back until it was too late to build continuity out of his second transition in three years. Do you remember the smooth transition of run to the right for two yards, run to the left for a loss of four and throwing a 50-60 yard pass that was 9 out of 10 times incomplete? Transitions aren't smooth when you are changing systems. Having the expectation that they shouldn't because they're upsetting your apple cart is pretty near-sighted. But then again, you guys would have rather had big game Bobby here to right the ship...
Exactly. Rip the band aid off and get your system in place. We have already talked about how some of the team is on their third different offensive scheme and we still have guys on this board bitching about how we need a fourth "transitional" system to bridge the gap. Hilarious.

I also love the comments about Stitt needing to coach a little more, even though he has been a head coach with a good record elsewhere.

PhxGriz said:
PDXGrizzly said:
I have made it abundantly clear these past days that I have lost my confidence in Stitt. However, I think replacing him would be worse. Another coaching change would make this program reel for a decade at least.

I may get my confidence in Stitt back, but his product that he is paid to produce (even without players he recruited) is sub-par at best. At least we had a shot at the playoffs in Pflugrad's first year and had a winning record. Delaney gets a pass because of the circumstances and upheaval at the university.

I really really want Stitt to succeed. I just don't think he will. Won't stop me from cheering for the Griz!
Delaney gets a pass? Aren't we suffering through his coaching and recruiting picks now?

Yes, but I have a soft spot in my heart for someone who was willing to wade into the sh$t storm that was 2012. Even though the ripples of his tenure are being felt (a la this O-Line), he bled, and still bleeds maroon. No, he was far from being a good head coach. But he did this program an immense solid by helping it weather that storm. He get a pass because he kept us viable when the Griz could have very easily gone the way of SMU and never had a chance of recovery for decades.

I agree that we have to give Stitt a pass this year, especially with recruiting. However, it should have been clear when he came that we needed immediate help at running back and OL. We could have filled some of these weaknesses with JC transfers. Maybe he tried....I don't know the answer to that.
Someone commented that he had a couple of drop down OL that didn't work out, however, more effort should have been made.
In any event,he should be given three years to mold his program.

Eriul said:
indian-outlaw said:
Most smart coaches implement a transition over the course of a few years. If they have an offense that was built to run pro style they don’t immediately implement a spread, convert all TE’s in the system to DL and run off all FB’s. They play to their strengths and slowly transition when they have their athletes in place to do so. When Phlugrad came in here he didn’t immediately turn the entire system upside down. We started seeing zone reads but we were still running power formations because that is the personnel he had. It wasn’t his recruits and Robin was not an expert at running Haucks style of offense but he has a good enough grasp of football offenses to use what he had. When Delaney took over you still saw lots of zone reads as he was transitioning to pro style because that is what the players were use to.

I am not convinced Stitt has the capacity to make the transition without wrecking the entire system for the time being. He may eventually get it to work but it will be a rocky road.

Basically this.

You have to coach to your personnel. Stitt will have to get the kids for his style and that takes time. We understand that. If you inherit the Alabama Crimson Tide you don't immediately go air raid and 5 wide.

I mean this is a concept of football that is lost sometimes on coaches at every level. We are still seeing Kubiak not meshing well the personnel he has in Denver.(the only reason they are still undefeated is because that defense is insane)

I have to disagree on personnel. Look at the most successful team in the NFL over the last few years, the Patriots. they do not get the best peopl for a specific position or scheme, they find the BEST athletes. How many positions did Troy Brown play? In what round was Brady picked? Who was Wes Welker? The kid from a hadron State? The list goes on.

Are players going to be better at the position they played in high school? Probably, but a great athlete adjusts. The Patriots find talented athletes. They have proven you do not need to be a 4 star athlete to be phenomenal.

Take that philosophy, and add great coaches and you have a winner. Champions do not make excuses.

Stitt is dealing with some of the same issues that Pflugrad dealt with in his first year - loss of starting QB (Andrew Selle) early in the year. Difference being, Selle was not a rookie; he had taken the Griz to the chipper the year before. He still wound up 7-4 in spite of sub-standard QB-ing all year. Stitt can still do the same. That's why they play the games.

kemajic said:
Stitt is dealing with some of the same issues that Pflugrad dealt with in his first year - loss of starting QB (Andrew Selle) early in the year. Difference being, Selle was not a rookie; he had taken the Griz to the chipper the year before. He still wound up 7-4 in spite of sub-standard QB-ing all year. Stitt can still do the same. That's why they play the games.

Sugarcoater!

Agree!
This coach came in to totally revamp how things are done and while we aren't winning them all yet, there are plenty of signs this ship is moving in the right direction. I think it'll be at least three seasons before we're back to consistent winners again. The future looks bright!

AllWeatherFan said:
Stitt gets three years to implement his system. Perhaps, during that time, some of our fans should look 200 miles to the east for a team that gratifies their immediate needs and deserves their "support."

I think you misspelled "west" ;)

Back