• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference Champs: Remaining Games

oGriz said:
(Conference record)

North Dakota (4-0)
Oct 22 at Idaho State (1-2)
Oct 29 Weber State (3-0)
Nov 5 at Northern Colorado (1-2)
Nov 12 Northern Arizona (2-2)

Eastern Washington (3-0)
Oct 22 at Montana State (0-4)
Oct 29 Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 at Cal Poly (2-1)
Nov 12 Idaho State (1-2)
Nov 18 at Portland State (1-3)

Weber State (3-0)
Oct 22 at Southern Utah (2-2)
Oct 29 at North Dakota (4-0)
Nov 5 Northern Arizona (2-2)
Nov 12 Cal Poly (2-1)
Nov 19 at Idaho State (1-2)

Montana (2-1)
Oct 22 at Northern Arizona (2-2)
Oct 29 at Eastern Washington (3-0)
Nov 5 Idaho State (1-2)
Nov 12 at Northern Colorado (1-2)
Nov 19 Montana State (0-4)

Cal Poly (2-1)
Oct 22 UC Davis (1-3)
Oct 29 at Sacramento State (1-3)
Nov 5 Eastern Washington (3-0)
Nov 12 at Weber State (3-0)
Nov 19 Northern Colorado (1-2)

Northern Arizona (2-2)
Oct 22 Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 at Weber State (3-0)
Nov 12 at North Dakota (4-0)
Nov 19 Southern Utah (2-2)

Honestly see this season ending like this based on thosexperience remaining schedules:

North Dakota (4-0 or 3-1): Despite having the easiest remaining schedule on paper I don't think it's to much to think that they could slip up, especially against WSU or UNC. I mean they did lose to ISU last season.

Eastern Washington (4-1): I don't see the Eagles winning out this season, especially with back to back games vs us then Cal Poly as they have allowed teams like UC-Davis to hang with them. They will lose one more game before playoffs.

Weber State (2-3 or 3-2): Despite winning all of their Big Sky Conference games so far when you look at the competition they have played you can argue that they haven't played really anyone. With back-to-back games against SUU and UND along with Cal Poly on the schedule I don't see them having any shot of winning out.

Montana (5-0 or 4-1): Definitely not trying to be biased but besides Eastern Washington we really should win the rest of our games even though in particular we should not take NAU or UNC lightly.

Cal Poly (5-0 or 4-1): The Mustangs offense looks like they are back to dominating form after a slip up at North Dakota. Though there are several decent teams left on their schedule the only game they should have a decent chance of losing is against Eastern Washington.

I honestly don't know why NAU is even on this list as I see them going 1-3 with the schedule they have left.

Mavman said:
You think the BSC will get three or four bids?
I say four Montana,ewu,north dakota, and poly

I would say yes to all 4 barring a Poly letdown which has happened before. UND has no reason not to get in with their remaining schedule

get'em_griz said:
oGriz said:
You think things are bad now, we'll have Idaho joining the conference in 2018. We'll be moving to a 9-game conference schedule in 2020. A 9-game schedule is better for determining a champion, but a school like Montana that balances its athletic budget with its football team, home games are essential. The recent Missoulian article talked about various scenarios, including splitting into two divisions like what the conference already does with volleyball. With the FCS playoff system, a championship game between divisions isn't possible.

Some other conferences have issues also: Missouri Valley 10 teams, Colonial 12 teams, Southland 11 (currently). The Colonial used to have two divisions, but lost some teams. With two divisions, you have two conference divisional champions every year. Yeah, a shared championship. Better to have at least two champions every year with so many teams?

BigSkyConference2020.PNG

This. This right here makes the most sense. I really hope this is what is in the works!

Don't show this graph to Coach Choke.... He will have to change it too, #own the bottom
of the Big Sky.

IdaGriz01 said:
'68griz said:
oGriz said:
Wow, all the traditional power would definitely be in the East.
And no one is ever going to give the conference two AQ's.
Traditional power: Swap EWU for WSU and you take care of a lot of that.

As for two AQ's ... have to agree. Seems like the politics would pretty much make that impossible. But does that matter? Auto or at-large, the division champs are most likely going to get bids. And the situation with seeds, home playoff games, etc. probably would not change all that much.

Alternative I just thought of: Both division champs get bids, but they're always scheduled to play each other in the first round. Weird, I know, but could kill two birds with one stone -- winner is declared sole conference champion. Crazy, maybe ... but the system has problems that are about to get worse. Time for a cliche: "Think outside the box."

That is no different then having a conference championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bscwatcher said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Alternative I just thought of: Both division champs get bids, but they're always scheduled to play each other in the first round. Weird, I know, but could kill two birds with one stone -- winner is declared sole conference champion. Crazy, maybe ... but the system has problems that are about to get worse. Time for a cliche: "Think outside the box."
Yes, it is, in one important way. It would not be an extra game. It would be within the framework of the playoff structure and could therefore "do double duty." But if the idea bothers you, don't let it ... there's no way in Hell something like that would ever happen. :D

HelenaHandBasket said:
What if they already played?
Then that would over-ride the stipulation, obviously. But ... see above ... not ever going to happen anyway. :lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
Bscwatcher said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Yes, it is, in one important way. It would not be an extra game. It would be within the framework of the playoff structure and could therefore "do double duty." But if the idea bothers you, don't let it ... there's no way in Hell something like that would ever happen. :D

HelenaHandBasket said:
What if they already played?
Then that would over-ride the stipulation, obviously. But ... see above ... not ever going to happen anyway. :lol:

yep, I know. Just like poking holes in bad ideas.

UTGrizFan said:
oGriz said:
(Conference record)

North Dakota (4-0)
Oct 29 Weber State (3-0)

Eastern Washington (3-0)
Oct 29 Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 at Cal Poly (2-1)
Nov 12 Idaho State (1-2)

Weber State (3-0)
Nov 12 Cal Poly (2-1)

Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 Idaho State (1-2)

Cal Poly (2-1)
Oct 22 UC Davis (1-3)

Northern Arizona (2-2)
Oct 22 Montana (2-1)

Honestly see this season ending like this based on thosexperience remaining schedules:

North Dakota (4-0 or 3-1): Despite having the easiest remaining schedule on paper I don't think it's to much to think that they could slip up, especially against WSU or UNC. I mean they did lose to ISU last season.

Eastern Washington (4-1): I don't see the Eagles winning out this season, especially with back to back games vs us then Cal Poly as they have allowed teams like UC-Davis to hang with them. They will lose one more game before playoffs.

Weber State (2-3 or 3-2): Despite winning all of their Big Sky Conference games so far when you look at the competition they have played you can argue that they haven't played really anyone. With back-to-back games against SUU and UND along with Cal Poly on the schedule I don't see them having any shot of winning out.

Montana (5-0 or 4-1): Definitely not trying to be biased but besides Eastern Washington we really should win the rest of our games even though in particular we should not take NAU or UNC lightly.

Cal Poly (5-0 or 4-1): The Mustangs offense looks like they are back to dominating form after a slip up at North Dakota. Though there are several decent teams left on their schedule the only game they should have a decent chance of losing is against Eastern Washington.

I honestly don't know why NAU is even on this list as I see them going 1-3 with the schedule they have left.

The same could be said for Montana, that argument is completely flawed right now. Montana has played one of the weakest schedules in the entire Big Sky yet everyone on here is putting them on a pedestal much higher than anyone else. It seems like on this forum if Montana plays a weak schedule its ok but if anyone else does it's frowned upon? I don't get the hypocrisy.

Montana's opponents this year are 14-26 and the best team Montana has faced, a 4-2 Cal Poly team, beat the Griz.

Im not saying the Griz aren't a good team cause they are, but Montana fans cant claim another Big Sky team isn't for real because of their schedule when the Griz have had just as weak or weaker a schedule. We will see what Weber is made of in the next few weeks, but the good teams beat the bad teams and that is what Weber is doing, just like Montana.

WILDCATFAN said:
UTGrizFan said:
oGriz said:
(Conference record)

North Dakota (4-0)
Oct 29 Weber State (3-0)

Eastern Washington (3-0)
Oct 29 Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 at Cal Poly (2-1)
Nov 12 Idaho State (1-2)

Weber State (3-0)
Nov 12 Cal Poly (2-1)

Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 Idaho State (1-2)

Cal Poly (2-1)
Oct 22 UC Davis (1-3)

Northern Arizona (2-2)
Oct 22 Montana (2-1)

The same could be said for Montana, that argument is completely flawed right now. Montana has played one of the weakest schedules in the entire Big Sky yet everyone on here is putting them on a pedestal much higher than anyone else. It seems like on this forum if Montana plays a weak schedule its ok but if anyone else does it's frowned upon? I don't get the hypocrisy.

Montana's opponents this year are 14-26 and the best team Montana has faced, a 4-2 Cal Poly team, beat the Griz.

Im not saying the Griz aren't a good team cause they are, but Montana fans cant claim another Big Sky team isn't for real because of their schedule when the Griz have had just as weak or weaker a schedule. We will see what Weber is made of in the next few weeks, but the good teams beat the bad teams and that is what Weber is doing, just like Montana.

Can't argue those facts.

WILDCATFAN said:
UTGrizFan said:
oGriz said:
(Conference record)

North Dakota (4-0)
Oct 29 Weber State (3-0)

Eastern Washington (3-0)
Oct 29 Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 at Cal Poly (2-1)
Nov 12 Idaho State (1-2)

Weber State (3-0)
Nov 12 Cal Poly (2-1)

Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 Idaho State (1-2)

Cal Poly (2-1)
Oct 22 UC Davis (1-3)

Northern Arizona (2-2)
Oct 22 Montana (2-1)

Don't get your Garments in a bunch neither Montana or Weber st have played the tough teams on their schedule yet. It will all play out!

Two things: NCAA doesn't allow a conference championship game to be played head to head in the FCS so if there were divisions in the BSC it would be a tie-breaker scenario which I don't like. If the NCAA allows one more regular season game to be played, the idea is being tossed around, then I would love it if it allowed for a conference championship head-to-head game.

Secondly, I think there is a decent chance that the big sky would be trimmed down a bit by the time the 9 conference game schedule comes around.

grizfan406 said:
Two things: NCAA doesn't allow a conference championship game to be played head to head in the FCS so if there were divisions in the BSC it would be a tie-breaker scenario which I don't like. If the NCAA allows one more regular season game to be played, the idea is being tossed around, then I would love it if it allowed for a conference championship head-to-head game.

Secondly, I think there is a decent chance that the big sky would be trimmed down a bit by the time the 9 conference game schedule comes around.

I was thinking about this also. If they bounce Poly and Davis and UND finds a better fit, that gets them to 11. 10 would be ideal, but not sure how they get there.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I was thinking about this also. If they bounce Poly and Davis and UND finds a better fit, that gets them to 11. 10 would be ideal, but not sure how they get there.

I don't see Cal Poly or UC Davis leaving anytime soon, they would have nowhere to go unless they both moved up to FBS which is very unlikely. UND however due to their financial situation could very well head back to the MVFC but we would still be stuck with 13 teams once Idaho returns.

UTGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I don't see Cal Poly or UC Davis leaving anytime soon, they would have nowhere to go unless they both moved up to FBS which is very unlikely. UND however due to their financial situation could very well head back to the MVFC but we would still be stuck with 13 teams once Idaho returns.

It is not whether or not Poly and Davis want to leave but whether the BSC Conference wants to bounce the football only schools in a effort to get to a more manageable number of teams.

Ya....the crazy thing is..it was like the BSC had no idea what they were getting into or how to handle expanding....

because Montana just used to ass-blast everyone...go undefeated every year and out right win the conference...

now all of a sudden theres some parody and the confderence is a complete shit show.

UTGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Hard to go back when you never where a member

WILDCATFAN said:
UTGrizFan said:
oGriz said:
(Conference record)

North Dakota (4-0)
Oct 29 Weber State (3-0)

Eastern Washington (3-0)
Oct 29 Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 at Cal Poly (2-1)
Nov 12 Idaho State (1-2)

Weber State (3-0)
Nov 12 Cal Poly (2-1)

Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 Idaho State (1-2)

Cal Poly (2-1)
Oct 22 UC Davis (1-3)

Northern Arizona (2-2)
Oct 22 Montana (2-1)

Wildcat, there's major flaw in your argument, and one that is a flaw with ever MSU poster, EWU poster, BSCwatcher, and alot of other nonGriz fans. And that flaw is, you guys came on board late summer and told us how, with our schedule we would be lucky to 6-5, 7-4 at best. Go look at those threads from July and August. Go look at the weekly prediction threads on here and on BN. You guys loved coming here to tell us the Griz would lose to UNI and even Southern Utah at home.

For many non-Griz fans, It's only AFTER the Griz start playing well that their schedule is a weak one. You guys all have your crystal balls working in overdrive in the summer telling us how much we're going to get our ass kicked and when we don't, all of a sudden, those crystal balls were wrong, and it was oh, the Griz would suck if they played this team and that team, ect.

havgrizfan said:
WILDCATFAN said:
UTGrizFan said:
oGriz said:
(Conference record)

North Dakota (4-0)
Oct 29 Weber State (3-0)

Eastern Washington (3-0)
Oct 29 Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 at Cal Poly (2-1)
Nov 12 Idaho State (1-2)

Weber State (3-0)
Nov 12 Cal Poly (2-1)

Montana (2-1)
Nov 5 Idaho State (1-2)

Cal Poly (2-1)
Oct 22 UC Davis (1-3)

Northern Arizona (2-2)
Oct 22 Montana (2-1)

Wildcat, there's major flaw in your argument, and one that is a flaw with ever MSU poster, EWU poster, BSCwatcher, and alot of other nonGriz fans. And that flaw is, you guys came on board late summer and told us how, with our schedule we would be lucky to 6-5, 7-4 at best. Go look at those threads from July and August. Go look at the weekly prediction threads on here and on BN. You guys loved coming here to tell us the Griz would lose to UNI and even Southern Utah at home.

For many non-Griz fans, It's only AFTER the Griz start playing well that their schedule is a weak one. You guys all have your crystal balls working in overdrive in the summer telling us how much we're going to get our ass kicked and when we don't, all of a sudden, those crystal balls were wrong, and it was oh, the Griz would suck if they played this team and that team, ect.

Actually I was one of the first ones to say how easy the schedule would be for the Griz before the season even started.

Back