• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Could Montana's Brady Gustafson Be the Next Carson Wentz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next Wentz, as in #2 overall draft pick? Almost certainly not. But I'm sure he'll have a great chance at being drafted somewhere if he has a solid senior year and stays healthy.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
This article is laughable. Let's see, Gus had a 57% completion average against FCS opponents. He threw 12 TDs, also 9 interceptions. Not exactly the type of TD/INT ratio the NFL likes. His lack of accuracy was frequently exposed, and his mechanics evaporated when he was pressured. The next Carson Wentz??? PLEASE! My prediction is that he will not even be starting by mid-season. The QB from Kentucky should be starting by then.

Don't take this as a strong argument that Gus is or is not NFL material. But I will point out that even Aaron Rogers is not very accurate when the defense is on him before he can even take a step back. Our "O" line had a lot to do with the inaccuracy do to pressure.

Carry on.

grizfan47 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
This article is laughable. Let's see, Gus had a 57% completion average against FCS opponents. He threw 12 TDs, also 9 interceptions. Not exactly the type of TD/INT ratio the NFL likes. His lack of accuracy was frequently exposed, and his mechanics evaporated when he was pressured. The next Carson Wentz??? PLEASE! My prediction is that he will not even be starting by mid-season. The QB from Kentucky should be starting by then.

Don't take this as a strong argument that Gus is or is not NFL material. But I will point out that even Aaron Rogers is not very accurate when the defense is on him before he can even take a step back. Our "O" line had a lot to do with the inaccuracy do to pressure.

Carry on.

Valid point. But he is going to have to improve his accuracy substantially to get my attention. By the way, I don't think our O-line will be improved much over last year, unless some of the younger linemen step up and win starting positions. However, I think we could have a much better O-line in 2017.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
ordigger said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

From the article is apparent that Stitt is as much about mental capability as physical talent. Although Reece could be just as talented, the biggest concern is he is 12 months behind Gus in game experience. That could be all the difference when it comes to game time. If Gus struggles, I would not be surprised to see Chalich get first shot.

As I have stated before, if it takes a QB a full year to understand an offense, you are running the wrong offense. We heard the same B.S. about Phenicie's offense. Isn't it funny how the SEC teams plug in new QBs all of the time, and never miss a beat.

This game is not that complicated. If it is, then the coach needs to simplify his offense and concentrate on EXECUTION, instead of learning 500 different plays, like the one he used on a critical 4th down against Cal Poly, poorly-executed, and never used again (thank God!)
AKA, having better linemen and skill position players than the opposing team. Not a luxury we've had over the last couple years, as you have recently stated.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
Unless he breaks Vernon Adams passing record and leads the Griz to win the natty I doubt he's going to be the #2 draft pick in the NFL. And even if he does all of that - as the article points out - the performance of Wentz himself this season might impact Brady's stock (can a "small school" QB adapt fast?)

I certainly do see him as being able to be drafted somewhere but he's not without some big question marks.

Reasons for being a possible draft pick:

- Height / size
- Intelligence
- Arm Strength
- Medium and deep passing range accuracy
- Design of the offense
- Factors with the team including a veteran O-line, a better running game to support him, and being in his 2nd year of the system.

Reasons against being a possible draft pick:

- Durability / injury
- "small school"
- Short range passing accuracy
- Limited # of games started/played
- Factors with the team mostly being a very inexperienced and young WR corps

--------
My guess is if he has a lights out season, makes a deep run in the playoffs and has numbers to back it up, he could be a 4th/5th round kind of guy that would be viewed as an Oswieler type of project QB to groom behind a veteran for a few years.

Obviously if he has more injury issues or consistency issues or just doesn't step up to the next level... dunno... maybe a camp invite? Tough to say. I'd bet coaches will still like him just because of his physical traits regardless the type of season he has.

The NFL does not like 6'7" QBs. QBs that tall tend to be poor in the pocket, and not good at avoiding pressure. Osweiller is the exception. Name 5 starting QBs in the past years who were 6'7" or taller? The prototypical NFL QB is 6'3" to 6'5", athletic, and about to run. Yes, there are outliers , but not many.

Osweiler & Joe Flacco, both tall QBs who seem to be doing well for themselves. Denver also drafted Paxton Lynch who is 6-7. I think that if the talent is there they won't rule the guy out bc he's an inch or two taller than a height they consider ideal.

Flacco is 6'6" and is one of the outliers I spoke of. I did not say that being 6'7" would prevent a QB from being drafted.... I said that it was outside of the preferred height for the NFL.

BWahlberg said:
Osweiler & Joe Flacco, both tall QBs who seem to be doing well for themselves. Denver also drafted Paxton Lynch who is 6-7. I think that if the talent is there they won't rule the guy out bc he's an inch or two taller than a height they consider ideal.

You must be 5'6" or taller to agree with this statement so Steve won't be agreeing with you Brint. Sorry.

:p

Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:
Unless he breaks Vernon Adams passing record and leads the Griz to win the natty I doubt he's going to be the #2 draft pick in the NFL. And even if he does all of that - as the article points out - the performance of Wentz himself this season might impact Brady's stock (can a "small school" QB adapt fast?)

I certainly do see him as being able to be drafted somewhere but he's not without some big question marks.

- Height / size
- Intelligence
- Arm Strength
- Design of the offense
- Factors with the team including a veteran O-line, a better running game to support him, and being in his 2nd year of the system.

- Durability / injury
- "small school"

--------
My guess is if he has a lights out season, makes a deep run in the playoffs and has numbers to back it up, he could be a 4th/5th round kind of guy that would be viewed as an Oswieler type of project QB to groom behind a veteran for a few years.

Obviously if he has more injury issues or consistency issues or just doesn't step up to the next level... dunno... maybe a camp invite? Tough to say. I'd bet coaches will still like him just because of his physical traits regardless the type of season he has.

The NFL does not like 6'7" QBs. QBs that tall tend to be poor in the pocket, and not good at avoiding pressure. Osweiller is the exception. Name 5 starting QBs in the past years who were 6'7" or taller? The prototypical NFL QB is 6'3" to 6'5", athletic, and about to run. Yes, there are outliers , but not many.

Kinda like 5'11" Russell Wilson? I'm pretty sure at least 25-28 NFL teams would take RW as their starting QB the last 3 years! If Brady has a 4,000+ yard season and wins the NC he will be drafted in the top 4 rounds, no matter his height.

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
BWahlberg said:

You must be 5'6" or taller to agree with this statement so Steve won't be agreeing with you Brint. Sorry.

I am 5'10". How tall are you Bjorn Borg-Stein? God you are trite and a bore. Try posting something about football ONCE! Oh, I forgot, that topic eludes you. :cya:

Richard Cranium said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:

- Height / size
- Intelligence
- Arm Strength
- Design of the offense

- Durability / injury
- "small school"

--------

Kinda like 5'11" Russell Wilson? I'm pretty sure at least 25-28 NFL teams would take RW as their starting QB the last 3 years! If Brady has a 4,000+ yard season and wins the NC he will be drafted in the top 4 rounds, no matter his height.

ZZZZZZZ! Learn to read. Look up "outlier"

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
BWahlberg said:

I am 5'10". How tall are you Bjorn Borg-Stein? God you are trite and a bore. Try posting something about football ONCE! Oh, I forgot, that topic eludes you. :cya:

You're not the preferred height for a reply. :(

Look at the QB's ahead of him. He could go top 10 with a solid season. Smart, strong, mobile(nfl, boys..) and can easily make every throw. Oh and he's 6-7.

Told ya so.

Barring a career-ending injury, Brady WILL get drafted. Growler is DEAD wrong with his prediction that Gus will be replaced as the starter mid-season. I know that breaks the hearts of some egrizzers to hear that, the only way Gus doesn't start is if he gets injured, but, that's how it is. Gus is the clear number one, and it will not matter how far Reece Phillips progresses in fall camp.

Back to the question of the OP, no, I don't think Gus is the next Carson Wentz, as in he will not be a first-round pick, and he will not get a big money deal. But, like I said, barring a career-ending injury, Gus will go somewhere between the 4th and 6th rounds. Will he ever have a productive NFL career? No one can answer that right now. But, in the question of, will he get drafted, the answer is yes.

griz5700 said:
Look at the QB's ahead of him. He could go top 10 with a solid season. Smart, strong, mobile(nfl, boys..) and can easily make every throw. Oh and he's 6-7.

Told ya so.

Thank you Mrs. Gustafson. He better eat his Wheaties first. Vontaze Burfict would break his skinny arms like a well-used toothpick now.

havgrizfan said:
Barring a career-ending injury, Brady WILL get drafted. Growler is DEAD wrong with his prediction that Gus will be replaced as the starter mid-season. I know that breaks the hearts of some egrizzers to hear that, the only way Gus doesn't start is if he gets injured, but, that's how it is. Gus is the clear number one, and it will not matter how far Reece Phillips progresses in fall camp.

Back to the question of the OP, no, I don't think Gus is the next Carson Wentz, as in he will not be a first-round pick, and he will not get a big money deal. But, like I said, barring a career-ending injury, Gus will go somewhere between the 4th and 6th rounds. Will he ever have a productive NFL career? No one can answer that right now. But, in the question of, will he get drafted, the answer is yes.

Don't quit your day job trying to be an NFL scout. Homerism doesn't work when evaluating NFL talent. As a matter of fact, I'm going to phone my buddy Evan, the S.E. regional scout for the Panthers, to see what they think of Gus.

I think I'll phone him too, since you just outed him on this board LMAO. I'm sure he appreciates you giving out his name though. I'm not going to ask him about Gus though, I'm much more curious if what you said he said about Trumaine Johnson is true lol.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
havgrizfan said:

Don't quit your day job trying to be an NFL scout. Homerism doesn't work when evaluating NFL talent. As a matter of fact, I'm going to phone my buddy Evan, the S.E. regional scout for the Panthers, to see what they think of Gus.

I think this post has "book mark" written all over it... Hmmm Gus as a 4th rounder. That's bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back