• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Could Montana's Brady Gustafson Be the Next Carson Wentz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
havgrizfan said:
Nope, didn't predict 4th, predicted 4th-to-6th. Big difference. Barring an injury he will be taken in one of those rounds though. And before words are putin my mouth, I will say again, I have NO prediction whatsoever for Gus as an actual NFL quarterback. Lots and lots of players, including lots of obscure quarterbacks have been and will be drafted. How they do after they're drafted is not the same thing as being drafted. I'm simply stating that what I know of what is being said about Gus, he's going to get drafted. And CV you know me, or at least how I post, I'll be the FIRST to come right back here and admit I was wrong if Gus doesn't get drafted.

Hav:

Check out Nate Sudfeld from Indiana University. He has very similar measurables to Gus. Probably a little more athletic with a quicker release. Washington took him in the 6th round at pick 187 I believe. He was injured his junior year too but he played sporadically in his Frosh and Soph years. He really has a better pedigree than Gus does being that he faced much better competition. In a draft that was considered to be weak at QB, Nate barely squeezed into the 6th round. Why would Gus fare better in your view?

Brady Gustafson definitely has a chance to be an NFL QB. He also has the chance to be a backup for the Griz this year. There is a gigantic talent difference. You guys talk a lot about the offensive line at NDSU. Fuck, let's talk about Montana's phenomenal receivers last year. Was there anything even comparable at the FCS level? Go watch the season opener again. There were so many jump balls that should have ended in either an incompletion or pick, but I bet Montana's receivers came down with 90% of those balls.

I saw a QB in Gustafson who couldn't read defenses but had a great physical upside. The biggest thing separating him from Wentz will be the offense he plays in. Even if he puts up video game stats, the pundits will say it was Stitt's system.

I really hope he gets drafted high though. Seems like an unbelievable nice kid with a big upside. I just think comparing the two is a joke at this point. Going into his senior season, Wentz was coming off a come a season where he broke most of NDSU's single season records, was the MVP of the FCS championship game. Gustafson ended the season with a 4 pick performance in the biggest playoff ass kicking I have seen a Griz team take.

Gus will not get drafted. He won't play in the NFL. I will have no need to come on here and say I was wrong because it will never happen. He's not even in the same league as Wentz.

Wentz would have succeeded at any school in the United States, Gus has a chance at a mid-FCS school and has done well. Gus is a good athlete, he is not an NFL athlete. Not even close. He's going to do great this year as our QB though.

CV, First, From the little I have been told about NFL scouts, they love, love to go after players like Brady. I also know that scouts were in Missoula looking at Brady many times last year as a result of coming to watch Holmes, and the feedback was really good. Another reason, and this isn't a shot at you personally, more of a dig at ALL of US on Egriz, I just trust NCAA Division 1 coaches opinions about 20,000 times more than I do that of Egrizzers or whatever Bobcat Nation posters are called. And, in private, and public, I've heard the term "NFL caliber" used by more than one coach in the Big Sky Conference, and outside of the Big Sky when they are talking about Brady Gustafson. I mean, I'm just going to take the opinion of the Beau Baldwins and Chris Kleiman's a lot more to heart than I am people who post on here, as it relates to actual football, and especially, evaluating talent. So, that's the best answer I can give you.

havgrizfan said:
CV, First, From the little I have been told about NFL scouts, they love, love to go after players like Brady. I also know that scouts were in Missoula looking at Brady many times last year as a result of coming to watch Holmes, and the feedback was really good. Another reason, and this isn't a shot at you personally, more of a dig at ALL of US on Egriz, I just trust NCAA Division 1 coaches opinions about 20,000 times more than I do that of Egrizzers or whatever Bobcat Nation posters are called. And, in private, and public, I've heard the term "NFL caliber" used by more than one coach in the Big Sky Conference, and outside of the Big Sky when they are talking about Brady Gustafson. I mean, I'm just going to take the opinion of the Beau Baldwins and Chris Kleiman's a lot more to heart than I am people who post on here, as it relates to actual football, and especially, evaluating talent. So, that's the best answer I can give you.

Ok. But you mentioned nobody from the NFL that gave an opinion. Gus isn't even listed on WalterFootball's web site as a QB prospect for the 2017 NFL Draft. Believe me, I'm no Jon Gruden. Gus may have a big year and end up with a NFL opportunity. But to proclaim he'll get drafted as early as round 4, at this juncture, is extremely bold IMO. Comparing Gus to Wentz, as this article suggests, is just beyond belief. Look at the Griz players that have been drafted in recent years, Tru,Tripp and Holmes. Does Gus really rise to the level of those three? I predict Gus will get a camp invite or possibly a FA deal. But a top 200 NFL draft pick? I don't see it. We'll see....

Atlanta Griz1 said:
griz5700 said:
Look at the QB's ahead of him. He could go top 10 with a solid season. Smart, strong, mobile(nfl, boys..) and can easily make every throw. Oh and he's 6-7.

Told ya so.

Thank you Mrs. Gustafson. He better eat his Wheaties first. Vontaze Burfict would break his skinny arms like a well-used toothpick now.
Hilarious to see the stubbornness of some of you guys. You are wrong!!! You all look stupid.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
brewskis said:
doc3kgt said:
He might have some intriguing measurables that gets some early scout attention, but you're f'ing high if you think he is getting drafted, let alone becoming Carson Wentz 2.0. Hate to break it to the dark pink sugar coaters, but he's not that good.
Here's the thing. The college ranks these days are THIN on true pocket-passers with a good arm and any intelligence. The NFL wants these types of quarterbacks. Would you have ever imagined that Christian Hackenberg would be drafted before Dak Prescott? A QB that was on the Heisman ballot in 2014?

Brady doesn't thrive on broken plays and want to scramble around like VA, Prescott, and Prukop. Brady, like Wentz, wants to take the snap, stand in the pocket for a couple seconds, and deliver the ball. That is what the NFL looks for. Now, Wentz was playing behind an FBS-level offensive line. Brady, not so much. Brady will have a better line this coming season, so hopefully he's putting in the hours and he will improve on the mid-range throws outside the hash marks. That is where he struggles. I'm bolding that so that I'm not deemed a sugar-coater, as I believe I see things fairly right down the middle.

Deshaun Watson looks like he can do both; scramble and buy time, but he's also got a great arm and can get the ball out quick. He's also really calm out there. He'll be the top NFL prospect for sure. After that, the Mel Kipers of the world are picking Chad Kelley.....Manziel 2.0. I'm sure there are a couple good pocket passers that will emerge, however the number of seniors that will be heading to the draft may be slim. All this considered, if Brady has a good season, improves on the throws he struggles with, and stays healthy.....he'll be a top-5 QB prospect in the eyes of the NFL.

Here's a little news flash for ya....... NFL teams don't reach to draft an unqualified QB just because it is a down year for QBs. They are much smarter than that.

Ha! They don't huh? How about Carson Wentz?

2011BisonAlumni said:
Brady Gustafson definitely has a chance to be an NFL QB. He also has the chance to be a backup for the Griz this year. There is a gigantic talent difference. You guys talk a lot about the offensive line at NDSU. f***, let's talk about Montana's phenomenal receivers last year. Was there anything even comparable at the FCS level? Go watch the season opener again. There were so many jump balls that should have ended in either an incompletion or pick, but I bet Montana's receivers came down with 90% of those balls.

I saw a QB in Gustafson who couldn't read defenses but had a great physical upside. The biggest thing separating him from Wentz will be the offense he plays in. Even if he puts up video game stats, the pundits will say it was Stitt's system.

I really hope he gets drafted high though. Seems like an unbelievable nice kid with a big upside. I just think comparing the two is a joke at this point. Going into his senior season, Wentz was coming off a come a season where he broke most of NDSU's single season records, was the MVP of the FCS championship game. Gustafson ended the season with a 4 pick performance in the biggest playoff ass kicking I have seen a Griz team take.
Won't start for the Griz in 2016? LOL.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
brewskis said:
doc3kgt said:
He might have some intriguing measurables that gets some early scout attention, but you're f'ing high if you think he is getting drafted, let alone becoming Carson Wentz 2.0. Hate to break it to the dark pink sugar coaters, but he's not that good.
Here's the thing. The college ranks these days are THIN on true pocket-passers with a good arm and any intelligence. The NFL wants these types of quarterbacks. Would you have ever imagined that Christian Hackenberg would be drafted before Dak Prescott? A QB that was on the Heisman ballot in 2014?

Brady doesn't thrive on broken plays and want to scramble around like VA, Prescott, and Prukop. Brady, like Wentz, wants to take the snap, stand in the pocket for a couple seconds, and deliver the ball. That is what the NFL looks for. Now, Wentz was playing behind an FBS-level offensive line. Brady, not so much. Brady will have a better line this coming season, so hopefully he's putting in the hours and he will improve on the mid-range throws outside the hash marks. That is where he struggles. I'm bolding that so that I'm not deemed a sugar-coater, as I believe I see things fairly right down the middle.

Deshaun Watson looks like he can do both; scramble and buy time, but he's also got a great arm and can get the ball out quick. He's also really calm out there. He'll be the top NFL prospect for sure. After that, the Mel Kipers of the world are picking Chad Kelley.....Manziel 2.0. I'm sure there are a couple good pocket passers that will emerge, however the number of seniors that will be heading to the draft may be slim. All this considered, if Brady has a good season, improves on the throws he struggles with, and stays healthy.....he'll be a top-5 QB prospect in the eyes of the NFL.

Here's a little news flash for ya....... NFL teams don't reach to draft an unqualified QB just because it is a down year for QBs. They are much smarter than that.
Explain Hackenberg for me then. And that's done by your dream-girl of a head coach.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
brewskis said:
doc3kgt said:

You couldn't be more wrong

brewskis said:
doc3kgt said:

Well he seems like a nice enough guy, that would be cool if he could swing it.

havgrizfan said:

Stop whining just because not everyone agrees with your pie-in-the-sky NFL evaluations of Griz players. It is simply amazing to me that anyone would say the this kid is an NFL prospect based on his collegiate performance. Let's look at it objectively. First of all, he was not even good enough to win the starting QB job at UM until his junior season, and we had very weak QBs playing ahead of him his Frosh and sophomore years. Then, in the only games he started after 2-3 years as a back-up, he shows a few flashes of brilliance, but also many inaccurate throws, even on easy short passes, and the propensity to over-throw wide open receivers (which everyone knows is a pick waiting to happen). He throws for 12 TDs, but also throws 9 interceptions. He is only able to complete 57% of his passes, even though the vast majority of passes in Bubble Screen Bob's offense are short passes, which should be completed at a very high rate.

Bottom line is, people are projecting him as an NFL draftee solely based upon his "strong arm" and height. Here's a news flash for ya..... those two qualities mean little if the other necessary qualities aren't there. And they aren't. The KY transfer will be starting by mid-season.

SMH. Why is it so difficult to simply cheer for a Montana kid who is our starting QB? Good grief...I hope he gets drafted. See it's easy.

grizindabox said:
Wentz actually has some athleticism.......Brady not so much......sitting giraffe.....

Wentz has "some athleticism"??? He may be the most athletic QB to come out of college in the last 10 years! You obviously did not watch him run against us in the first game of the season. I have never seen a QB that tall with the running ability that Wentz has. I agree that all of this talk about Gus's athleticism is highly over-stated. I just don't see it.

Eriul said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
brewskis said:
doc3kgt said:

You couldn't be more wrong

No, I couldn't be more right

Atlanta Griz1 said:
brewskis said:
doc3kgt said:

If theres anything that NFL teams "reach on" consistantly...its QB's you fucking moron!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
brewskis said:
doc3kgt said:

If theres anything that NFL teams "reach on" consistantly...its QB's you f***[*] moron!

Shame on you for bastardizing the English language, while throwing out vulgar name-calling which SHOULD get you banned, but we all know that will not happen, eh mods? ("theres" = there's......"consistantly" = consistently))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back