• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Email from O'Day about the WAC, BSC & More.

Re: Revenue, regardless of whether UM moves up or not.

It will be interesting to see if ANYBODY, new prez, AD, etc., is willing to re-align how present revenues are handled.

O'Day mentioned increasing rent, and increasing costs for out-of-state athletes. Then there are the "administrative" and "overhead" costs that PR mentions in passing.

The facts/situation, as I understand them, are that in the post-Hogan realignments

1. the Athletics Dept had to start paying "rent" for the stadium and fieldhouse.

2. That also meant that concessions revenues went to UM rather than athletics.

3. King George already had taken these revenues:
a. Griz license plate money
b. money from sale of Griz gear (which I'm sure was purchased because of loyalty to some otherwise invisible academic dept.

I have no idea if the university gets the Saturday parking money or if it goes to athletics, but I'll bet it goes to UM.

How much more $$ could go to athletics if all of these things were reversed (I know, now the athletics dept gets revenue from the "new" plates), WHO KNOWS?

Two other important sources of "more":
Increase in student athletic fees
Increase in University allocation -- to a par w/msu. Why not?

Regents could help by going to a waiver of a certain number of out-of-state tuition fees -- rather than athletics having to pay cash for that -- and let msu waive the same number.

RE the TV money: This has been the Big Sky policy for at least 10 years. And I have no problem believing it's an 8-1 vote against changing the lion's share away from home teams. So it's a $10 k deal for TV of a Griz game -- that means $6 k every other year for each of the other guys, or $60 k for msu. As meager as their resources are, why would they give up the money? That's not going to change.

The point: There's some money going elsewhere than athletics that could/should be redirected. Would Jim Foley help? Who knows?

Then the reality of 54% female at UM vs 54% male at msu. Title IX requires reflection of enrollment percentages. So UM has to have more female athletes than msu has to do; an opportunity to pursue women of means (they're supposed to have more than half the nation's wealth, anyway).

It all comes down to money, coming or going. Maybe the regents need to hear more from egrizzers about UM getting equity to msu expenditures for athletics. Legislators, too.

One can tell from this email alone that Jim O'day is a very smart man and has really considered what a move to the WAC could do for the U of M. I'm 99.9% positive he was hoping this email would find its way onto egriz, facebook, bobcat nation, etc. I think that for anyone who thought a move to the WAC was college football suicide for our Griz, will now take in these facts (as disheartening as they are) and realize that even though there are some risks....there are also some extremely important positives from jumping into the WAC. I think O'day is a genius for "letting" this leak out to the Griz faithful....it's going to have Griz Nation seeing the positive side and the benefits from jumping from FCS football into the national spotlight. I was against it a week ago.....now I'm 50-50! Smart move O'day...smart move!

PS -- I always believed that UM was THE major contributor to the playoff $$, but I never realized to what extent. I think BH's trips to Chatty should be recognized in a new light: He was saving money for UM.

HookedonGriz said:
One can tell from this email alone that Jim O'day is a very smart man and has really considered what a move to the WAC could do for the U of M. I'm 99.9% positive he was hoping this email would find its way onto egriz, facebook, bobcat nation, etc. I think that for anyone who thought a move to the WAC was college football suicide for our Griz, will now take in these facts (as disheartening as they are) and realize that even though there are some risks....there are also some extremely important positives from jumping into the WAC. I think O'day is a genius for "letting" this leak out to the Griz faithful....it's going to have Griz Nation seeing the positive side and the benefits from jumping from FCS football into the national spotlight. I was against it a week ago.....now I'm 50-50! Smart move O'day...smart move!
I'm with you in the I don't know where I stand today?
I'm learning just how Little I really know about the whole
UM financial situation and what really needs to be addressed?

And I'm not sure I'm going to like where I stand on this
next week, next year, or five years down the road?
I guess this means the Great Swarthout era is coming to a close? :roll:

But, after reading Mr.O'days understanding of the matter,
I'll back his suggestions to the new President to the hilt, what ever they may be?

Bear Axed said:
I'm with you in the I don't know where I stand today?
I'm learning just how Little I really know about the whole
UM financial situation and what really needs to be addressed?

And I'm not sure I'm going to like where I stand on this
next week, next year, or five years down the road?
I guess this means the Great Swarthout era is coming to a close? :roll:

But, after reading Mr.O'days understanding of the matter,
I'll back his suggestions to the new President to the hilt, what ever they may be?

Hell is freezing over??

Wow, that is a lot to digest. Good job getting this on eGriz.

I have stated before; I'll support the team either way, but Jim makes a powerful case for moving up. I do disagree though that our appeal will be more like Boise State than Idaho. We simply do not have the market BS does.

Should be an interesting next few weeks (?months)

I am glad this was posted.

I have always wavered from 50/50 to 90/10 (for moving up). With this more information and both sides of this being risky, I think we have a choice of 2 lesser evils. Both options are risky with the welfare of NCAA athletics. I have believed for the last few years NCAA athletics would eventually be the haves and the have nots. That day is coming sooner than I thought, and nothing surprises me anymore in NCAA intercollegiate Athletics. This new information from O'day has me now at 99.99999% favoring moving up or out from the BSC/FCS umbrella. I would rather take my chances with the HAVES than hoping the have nots become haves.

Basically, I see the BSC and all FCS conferences being in the same boat in a few years as the WAC is in now. Outside of Weber State and Montana State, I have no faith in the welfare of our current BSC brethren. I like the additions of Davis and Poly though. I actually think UNC is progressing nicely with their programs, but have a ways to go. Being in Colorado, I see their efforts more closely. Granted, in comparison to the other Colorado schools they are do not rate with them. Tell you what though, the Colorado market is respecting them more and more every year, ditto U of Denver in basketball and hockey. Rather it be the WAC or another western conference, I would love to see U of Denver be in the same conference with Montana, even without football.

I would much rather tie an anchor with the likes of Ut St, NMSU, Idaho, SJSU, Tx State, TX SA, Hawaii, etc than gambling with the welfare of ISU, NAU, EWU, Portland State (they are going nowhere and struggling due to politics and money). As for Sac State, sorry folks, but I think there is some potential with them, and think they would make a good fit in the WAC. I think their support would be better, yet they would still lose a lot, but in 7 to 10 years they could compete well in the WAC.

Myself and several other egrizzers have posted multiple times the BSC is a sinking ship. That is starting to come reality with all this shifting going on. Time to take the life vest or boat and bail on this ship before we sink with it.

The other option for most of FCS conferences/teams is challenging fans to support these programs like App State, Montana, Delaware, UNH, GA Southern, etc have done for years. If that does not happen, FCS football as we know it will die, with or without Montana.

As for the fans of FCS and BSC programs, step it up now without reservation or get left behind!!!! AS for GRIZ fans, I can only speak for myself, but "I will support the GRIZ with either decision!" I will continue to love the GRIZ. I will understand and respect the situation in the decision, and with new light on this subject, the powers to be have my attention and support 100% as well. GO GRIZ!!

Come this Saturday at UNC, I will be looking for O'day and anyone associated with GRIZ athletics and tell them they will continue having my support. I will also encourage them to be honest with us as to what their expectations of GRIZNATION will be with either decision. What will it take collectively from our fans to make GRIZNATION better than ever? I am encouraging all GRIZ fans, no matter your stands or opinion if the powers to be all your respect and support. Just for awhile maybe it is time for us to stop bickering about our own wants and collectively agree to help the GRIZ we love every way we can.

GRIZNATION deserves this now. This is unquestionably the biggest crossroad and decision GRIZNATION has ever had to make and endure. Time to step up for us to survive and thrive. IF not GRIZ football as we know it will no longer be within this decade. More importantly GRIZ athletics as a whole may never recover if we do not support the powers to be.

Thanks again for posting this with new light. I would not want to be any of the powers to be right now. I wish them the best in this time and pray we collectively make the decision that allows forward movement and not backward. Even if that means more losing for a little time. Which I tihnk we would be a TOP 3 WAC program from the start in both basketball and football.

Did that just happen? HOLY SHEET. So much respect for O'Day. Curious to know how long it took him to write that. Pretty unreal if u ask me. Never realized most of that stuff.

To Jim O'Day--- :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Montana League of Cities and Towns meets next week in Butte. One of the conferences will be with state senators and legislators that will be informing the mayors, councilpeople, city administrators and financial officers of the budget crunch the state is facing and where cuts to counties and cities will be made.... but let's hope they pump another $20-30 million into the U of M for football. I'll be the first in line to ask Butte Representative John Sasso of the appropriations committee if the BOR will be alloted extra funds so the Griz can WAC-off. The Bobcat contingent will be loving every minute of it. Silly Gwiz.

There are certainly points in that email that have been mentioned by O'Day and others with Montana. But that email also contains many inaccurate statistics and cites outside sources an athletic director within the same university system as MSU would never, ever have to cite.

The email is bullshit.

After reading O’Days letter a few more times, I would like to change a few things I said in an earlier post. I do believe this was about as straightforward and honest as you will ever see from an AD, (much more honest than you would ever see from a University president or academic elite) but it was also biased towards what he wants. Can’t blame him for that.

But I personally think he should have just given his analysis of the future of the Big Sky Conference to make his point, and stopped there. Most of his other reasons I think could be picked apart. I change my mind about how big of an impact Montana not hosting playoff games would have on the FCS as a whole. It definitely would take away the majority of revenue for the NCAA and cause a much larger loss of money, but I don’t think that matters much to the NCAA after I learned that the Cotton Bowl was allowed to move to the same night as the FCS championship game. I thought the whole point of moving the game to January was to increase exposure and viewership, giving it its own day in the sun the day before the BCS championship game. Apparently not. I think the NCAA has already decided to either change or do away with the playoffs, maybe even the FCS itself.

The Big Sky is a whole other deal. This has opened my eyes to things I never realized. The conference will die without Montana football in it. The inequities are huge. The only way I could see us staying in the conference is to play bully and make demands to stay in the conference: T.V. money that we generate should stay with us; conference members can not be allowed to overcharge Griz fans when we play at their places; other members must be given a certain amount of time to upgrade facilities and put butts in the stands or they will be dropped, things like that. I don’t agree with that tactic: one member should not have that much power (but I think we do). I think O’Day thinks the conference has no future, and he should have used that as his main point. Move up now while we are wanted and have bargaining power, or get lost in the mess that is going to happen when the Big Sky and the FCS gets gutted in a couple of years.

I know nothing about the finances of a University, but it seems to me a lot of the money problems could be solved by the administration allowing athletics to keep their own money, quit charging rent on athletic facilities, and giving the merchandising money to the athletic department which actually raises that money. I haven’t seen any t-shirts that say “GO GRIZ JOURNALISM” at the bookstore or Penny’s lately.

I wish with all my Griz Spirit that things could be fixed so staying at this level could work. I love FCS and playoff football. But I’m afraid that in a way Montana’s own success has put it in the position it’s in now, and the writing is on the wall.

p.s. I do believe a move to the WAC would be a great move for the basketball program. Conference money from the tournament would not be insignificant, even if the Griz weren’t in the tourney.

griz4life said:
There are certainly points in that email that have been mentioned by O'Day and others with Montana. But that email also contains many inaccurate statistics and cites outside sources an athletic director within the same university system as MSU would never, ever have to cite.

The email is bullshit.

If it is BS, I would hate to be the one starting the BS. Maybe PR or someone can chime in on any legal ramifications on this one, if the U of M or O'day wanted to pursue this. I very much doubt it is bs, and if it is BS, whoever did it has "Big Balls". :thumb:

griz4life said:

The email is bullshit.

See the post on the first page by MrTitleist, and also the post by PlayerRep about the email chain from O'Day. The email seems to be legit based on their responses.

If you are concerned about it's authenticity, you could contact O'Day and find out I guess. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it being out there and public... If the Griz do move up it does a pretty good job explaining why.

Dexter X said:
griz4life said:

The email is bullshit.

See the post on the first page by MrTitleist, and also the post by PlayerRep about the email chain from O'Day. The email seems to be legit based on their responses.

If you are concerned about it's authenticity, you could contact O'Day and find out I guess. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it being out there and public... If the Griz do move up it does a pretty good job explaining why.
And why not.

Dexter X said:
griz4life said:

The email is bullshit.

I assume the email is legit. However, to me, it raises questions about how O'Day is handling this. He effectively released his info on BobcatNation? Does that give you confidence in the fact-gathering process and on how the process is being conducted generally? What's wrong with coming clean with Griz Nation on what's going on?

Seriously, do any of you believe:

I-AA is going away.

The playoffs are going away.

UM finances will cause it to go D-II.

UM can't figure out how to keep apace with relatively minor increases in costs.

UM football is breakeven.

UM can figure out how to pay for multi-millions of increased annual operating expenses to move to I-A.

This is the way for O'Day to release information to the public, and the UM fans.

wisdomgriz said:
Grizmayor said:
Put your money where your keypad is Toke... Write the check, baby. Or is it easier to spend other people's money?

GizMayo, the writing is on the wall. O'Day just laid it out and you still don't get it.

Wisdom, you're right O'Day intends to move the Griz on, if he can. I think that is now obvious. He paints the bleakest picture for the FCS and the rosiest for FBS.

Yet, you don't seem to "get it" as to what Grizmayor is saying. O'Day hints at extra revenue in FBS yet he fails to mention how it still leaves Griz athletics several million dollars short each and every year. The mayor is just saying, "maybe we're moving on, yet nobody has figured out who is paying the cab fare."
:ugeek:

Grizzlies1982 said:
wisdomgriz said:
GizMayo, the writing is on the wall. O'Day just laid it out and you still don't get it.

Wisdom, you're right O'Day intends to move the Griz on, if he can. I think that is now obvious. He paints the bleakest picture for the FCS and the rosiest for FBS.

Yet, you don't seem to "get it" as to what Grizmayor is saying. O'Day hints at extra revenue in FBS yet he fails to mention how it still leaves Griz athletics several million dollars short each and every year. The mayor is just saying, "maybe we're moving on, yet nobody has figured out who is paying the cab fare."
:ugeek:
Wiz-Dumb, or Cousin Fetty as we know him, doesn't "get" much of anything. Just ignore him.

griz4life said:

The email is bullshit.

I am going to guess that 20-30 E-Grizzers received the e-mail today, and being one that received direct from the horses moth I can assure you it is not a Bullshit.

How many others on e-griz received this e-mail???

Latest posts

Back