• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Engstrom Gets His Raise

get'em_griz

DONOR
You've got to be kidding me... :roll:

The Montana Board of Regents has approved raises to top university leaders. Royce Engstrom's salary has increased from $303,144 to $309,207. He's done such a wonderful job...

Rewarding terrible performance in Montana

If the Montana Board of Regents has just rewarded top university leaders for "normal" performance, the rest of the state should pray that we never see "below average" results.

It's hard for us to imagine what that might look like: Would any professor still have a job?

In a classic example of how much the "real world" differs from that of state government and education, most of the regents decided to hand out raises to top university officials, despite what is very sobering, disappointing year in Montana higher education. The university system said the bonus was a normal part of the process. We can only hope there was nothing normal about 2015, though.

Some of the lowlights of 2015:

The University of Montana announced that it will trim 201 full-time jobs from its payroll because of declining enrollment revenue.
Montana Tech in Butte gets critical international press for a grade fraud scheme involving apparently well-to-do Saudi exchange students.
Montana State University Billings continues to struggle as its enrollment numbers dip to levels that have not been seen in nearly 30 years.
UM also announces that it will have to trim between $10 million and $12 million in its 2017 budget year.
The Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education and Montana State University had been in serious planning about a proposed for-profit medical school to be located in Bozeman, even though residency slots for the students don't exist, and could undermine the state-supported WWAMI program which trains doctors from Montana.
Officials, including Commissioner of Higher Education Clayton Christian, suffered no financial penalty for such embarrassing results this past year. Instead, the regents handed out raises. In other words, taxpayer funds went to reward the mediocrity.

Keep in mind these raises, ranging from $2,000 to just more than $6,000, were in addition to the $500,000 (yes, that's a half-million dollars) the flagship university presidents and Christian were already in line to receive as "longevity bonuses." In other words, we value someone's ability to sit in a chair more than their ability to deliver results.

The only regent to vote against the pay plan was Martha Sheehy from Billings. She was the only one who seemed to understand the horrible message it sends to the public: Reward top administrators as more than 200 people lose their jobs. There's no spinning that one. It's a disconnect from a dismal reality.

Granted, the total bonuses (of just more than $30,000) wouldn't have probably saved even one of the 201 jobs that were being eliminated. But, it seems the leaders (the ones most responsible for the system's health) bear absolutely no financial consequence for what amounts to leadership bordering on inept.

Raises should be for jobs that are well done. In a system facing decline, is that really the message the university system wants us to believe — that the jobs of top leaders have been done well? Or, that those declines are "normal?" Are we rewarding officials for cutting jobs? Or failing to keep the system competitive?

The university officials have also tried to sell the public on the idea that comparatively speaking, Montana's education leaders are low paid. Surely university leaders with their doctorate degrees would be savvy enough to know what the job pays and understand that raises may not be automatically given. It seems like some regents are worried that we might lose top university leaders. Given 2015, shouldn't we be more worried about keeping them?

Since when did "everybody else is doing it" become a good enough reason for Montana to follow suit and pay more? We'd also point out that higher education isn't the only field that imposes a "Montana tax" — lower pay for a similar job than other states.

Cutting budgets and the jobs that go along with it may have been the right thing to do. But, the regents cannot appear to incentivize and reward what is a failure.

The Board of Regents, with the exception of Sheehy, has just endorsed very poor performance. In fact, they haven't just endorsed it, but rewarded it with your tax money.

UPDATED: Here is a partial list of the raises approved by the Regents.

Professional Before After
President 303,144 309,207
Provost 201,243 205,268
Vice president, research 193,925 197,804
Vice president, finance 177,197 180,741
Vice president, student affairs 157,523 160,673
Vice president, communications 154,196 157,280
Associate provost, global education 136,000 138,720
Associate provost 135,000 137,700
Legal counsel 128,000 130,560

http://billingsgazette.com/news/opinion/editorial/gazette-opinion/article_bf45836f-0d02-578f-bc19-17b2adca64a4.html

We have a VP for communications who makes $157,000 a year after the raise? Wow!...what on earth does that person do to deserve that type of money? Return on Investment? Not from where I stand.

Read the article yesterday. Good old boy's club. I thought BOR had meetings which were open to the public, with time for public comment and input, with agendas posted well in advance. Personnel matters would be closed session. This was done by conference call, no public meeting. Violation of the open meetings law(MCA 2-3-203)? Sheehy seems to be the only competent member of the BOR. Schweitzer and Bullock appointed these good old boys. 20/20 hindsight can make sense of at least the last five years.

It's "other people's money."

The"Vice President of Communications" is good example of "administrative bloat." The job isn't that complicated and, frankly, could be just as well done by a competent receptionist. Given UM's track record on communications these past five years, I'd say the receptionist would have been the far better investment.

If UM is having financial issues and cutting other people's jobs then not one of these people should get a raise.. Maybe they should all indicate they don't want the raises and that money goes back in to the university system!

Can someone please give me a brief run-down of the medical school issue in Bozo? That seems like the biggest fuck up on this list, but I don't know the full story

With the way information has been distributed and handled these last few years at the university, how can we not pay the VP of Communications????

Ohhhhh wait, were talking Montana????? I thought this was about North Korea...my bad..my bad!

garizzalies said:
Can someone please give me a brief run-down of the medical school issue in Bozo? That seems like the biggest f*** up on this list, but I don't know the full story

Several articles were run in the Gazette. Check there for more in depth.

garizzalies said:
Can someone please give me a brief run-down of the medical school issue in Bozo? That seems like the biggest f*** up on this list, but I don't know the full story

In a nut shell (as I understand it)

An out of state group wants to build a For Profit Medical School in Montana. They were looking at Billings, Missoula, and Bozeman. They are pushing for Bozeman because of the nursing program already here, and MSU is a bigger school (and the way it looks) the only school in Montana that is actually growing in size (expected to grow another 2000 students next year...I think). MSU would, of course, would love this, because it would be another draw to them that the other towns and colleges don't have. This is more of an issue between the board and the Private group, not really an MSU issue.

When my company lost money, we took salary decreases. I don't understand how this could have been allowed, not to mention a $500,000.00 bonus!!

so thats a total of around $30,000 in bonuses. we could have kept these people around at their current salaries (who else would want RE?) and maintained at least ONE of the permanent faculty that was cut due to budget shortfalls.

Just a little cowboy math, but I see about $1.8M that could be cut rather easily, and that is without the benefits we also pay for.....

Unfortunately nothing is going to change at the U or with the system until enough "Montana folk" get angry enough to do something about it through whatever means is available and necessary. We can talk on here all day long and read all the articles there are on the subject but no change. Until WE are all ready to do something substantial about it absolutely nothing is going to change for the better..... only more of SSSDDD...

Engstrom is going to continue to milk the gravy train. With the current BOR, we better get used to him being in charge at UM until the lights are shut off. Tragic!

Heres the problem. Enrollment is only one number. Graduation is the one that counts. MSU was in deep dooh just a few years ago at only 26%. They have that number headed in right direction. U of M is having record graduations both in number an percentage more importantly as an impact in Montana the number Employed in Montana: College of Technology 93% Bachelors 57% Masters 62% Doctoral (including Law) 66%. Total graduation was very close to 50% and continues up.

Sadly these results matter as much as "enrollment" as an impact to the state and return on investment matter as much if not more than enrollment numbers. We could have 20,000 students but if they don't graduate, why bother? Not that it would matter to the Engstrom haters.

One of the things MSU has done is offered more majors for their students who flunk out of the engineering programs to drop down to. Not a bad strategy except with their lack of Liberal arts options, they may produce degrees but they are not producing critical thinkers in fields where they are necessary. (business being one of them) The enrollment problem must stop at U of M or the Liberal arts that are so necessary to so many of the key programs at U of M will start to be hurt.............. But for now both schools are headed the right direction and the taxpayers are getting a lot more bang for the buck.

Back