• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Engstrom Gets His Raise

grizonbob said:
tnt said:
Keep in mind for most part the engineers can only be engineers

This is a over-generalization that lacks merit. One example: One member of my family got an engineering degree at MSU and was hired by the railroad as a management trainee, where engineering has little to do with the work. The railroad just feels that students who go through such a rigorous program will make good managers, if they are trained right. Another member of the family also has an engineering degree and workers for a big company in quality control, not in engineering.

An engineering grad from Montana Tech is CEO of one of the world's largest energy firms, ConocoPhillips.

One could go on and on...

I agree. Everybody thinks engineers just drive trains. Many of them work in engine rooms on large ships as well. I think they still have to wear the hat, however.

grizcountry420 said:
EverettGriz said:
Frankly, I'm shocked at how low those salaries are.

Thats because its Montana. All of this beautiful scenery makes up for shitty pay..

;)

beautiful scenery... I love hearing that from people that have never left the state.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizonbob said:
tnt said:
Keep in mind for most part the engineers can only be engineers

This is a over-generalization that lacks merit. One example: One member of my family got an engineering degree at MSU and was hired by the railroad as a management trainee, where engineering has little to do with the work. The railroad just feels that students who go through such a rigorous program will make good managers, if they are trained right. Another member of the family also has an engineering degree and workers for a big company in quality control, not in engineering.

An engineering grad from Montana Tech is CEO of one of the world's largest energy firms, ConocoPhillips.

One could go on and on...

I agree. Everybody thinks engineers just drive trains. Many of them work in engine rooms on large ships as well. I think they still have to wear the hat, however.

All to live long day.................

MillionWays1.jpg

I honestly think most engineering majors (except for PAC 12 EE majors) are honestly in it to try to get a blowie from Dinah.

Since there's not enough money in the current budget for a lump sum payment, President Engstrom is being asked to take his bonus in the form of $250.00 installments due biannually. :liar: :stfu: :wtf:

CDAGRIZ said:
There is even a popular book, "How to Avoid Huge Ships," written by an engineer, with 1300 customer reviews at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1453615533&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+avoid+large+ships

Engineers offer good, practical advice on the world. In that case,
For example:
- Do not charge the huge ship at full speed in an attempt to scare it off. This may work with coyotes, but it is less effective with huge ships.
- Similarly, do not roll your boat over and play dead. Unless the huge ship is captained by a grizzly bear, this will not work.
- Do not attempt to go under the huge ship. This is typically not successful.
- Do not attempt to jump over the huge ship.
Seriously, I've known many a CEO important to Montana who was there because of the inherent nature of an engineering background -- numbers, metrics, caution. Curtiss Crippen at Milwaukee Road, Paul Schmechel and Frank McElwain at Montana Power Co, and Bill Brodsky, current CEO of the Washington Industries empire.

UMGriz75 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
There is even a popular book, "How to Avoid Huge Ships," written by an engineer, with 1300 customer reviews at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1453615533&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+avoid+large+ships

Engineers offer good, practical advice on the world. In that case,
For example:
- Do not charge the huge ship at full speed in an attempt to scare it off. This may work with coyotes, but it is less effective with huge ships.
- Similarly, do not roll your boat over and play dead. Unless the huge ship is captained by a grizzly bear, this will not work.
- Do not attempt to go under the huge ship. This is typically not successful.
- Do not attempt to jump over the huge ship.

I like this advice. Thank you. I would also expect any great engineer to let us know not to engine the ship backward whilst an engineer is engining the ship forward because that would be reverse engineering; a practice the best engineers frown upon.

If you're going to engine something, make sure you have some engineers around to help you engine. Unless, of course, you are engineering the end zone at Reno H. Sales. Then, you just park that fucker 12 feet from the rest of the stadium and call it engined.

CDAGRIZ said:
If you're going to engine something, make sure you have some engineers around to help you engine. Unless, of course, you are engineering the end zone at Reno H. Sales. Then, you just park that f***[*] 12 feet from the rest of the stadium and call it engined.
University Administrator Problem: "What do we do with the "effluent" from all of sanitary facilities at Reno Sales that is produced during games, especially when we lose to the Griz?"

Engineer's solution: "Simple. Pipe everything to a large outdoor septic tank. Following engineering economic principles, we can put it just as close as we can to the Stadium. This will maximize efficiency. Just so we have something to brag about, we can engineer it to be "Montana's Largest Outdoor Septic Tank." It will be a tourist attraction."

UMGriz75 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
If you're going to engine something, make sure you have some engineers around to help you engine. Unless, of course, you are engineering the end zone at Reno H. Sales. Then, you just park that f***[*] 12 feet from the rest of the stadium and call it engined.
University Administrator Problem: "What do we do with the "effluent" from all of sanitary facilities at Reno Sales that is produced during games, especially when we lose to the Griz?"

Engineer's solution: "Simple. Pipe everything to a large outdoor septic tank. Following engineering economic principles, we can put it just as close as we can to the Stadium. This will maximize efficiency. Just so we have something to brag about, we can engineer it to be "Montana's Largest Outdoor Septic Tank." It will be a tourist attraction."
Strange thing, THAT is exactly what they did in Las Vegas. If the wind blows just right, Sam Boyd Stadium will make your eyes water, if you don't leave long before you can't breathe.

Board of Regents must be made of complete dolts to give incompetent Engstrom a raise. How unfair and stupid to be laying off decent Professors and giving idiot Engstrom a raise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so ashamed of UM. I will never give a penny to my college while such idiocy reigns. It's hard to believe BOR can be so stupid!!

I have been a supporter of Governor Bullock, but now I can't even support him. I will take the 2016 election off.

GrizRanger said:
Board of Regents must be made of complete dolts to give incompetent Engstrom a raise. How unfair and stupid to be laying off decent Professors and giving idiot Engstrom a raise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so ashamed of UM. I will never give a penny to my college while such idiocy reigns. It's hard to believe BOR can be so stupid!!

I have been a supporter of Governor Bullock, but now I can't even support him. I will take the 2016 election off.
I'm going to use my privilege to vote in 2016 by writing in every election box, "Bobcats Suck."

Ursa Major said:
GrizRanger said:

I'm going to use my privilege to vote in 2016 by writing in every election box, "Bobcats Suck."

Me too. And based on recent polls on this board, that may firmly establish BC as the favorite.

Ursa Major said:
GrizRanger said:

:thumb:

tnt said:
bgbigdog said:

Wait.... What?

That right unlike a number of other degree areas.................. The quantitative degrees lock you into a very NARROW career. Hopefully they like reading blueprints, or sitting wells. That's what they will be doing for 40+ years. Very narrow focus. Opposed to say the Business/IT guy who has no end of possibilities.

Most MIT grads in engineering, over half when I looked last go on to get an MBA or into med school.

BS on this one

GrizRanger said:
UM will lay off 27 people, reduce 192 full-time positions by end of June
http://missoulian.com/news/local/um-will-lay-off-people-reduce-full-time-positions-by/article_fae5ec7d-370b-5eb2-a6f7-f22d363c10a1.html
It's called being "tone deaf." The message sent by the Montana BOR to an entire generation of college students is: "failure will be rewarded."

It is amazing that, after five years, and still no "Strategic Plan" for UM -- an absolute requirement in corporate and academic governance these days -- that this BOR not only hasn't fired him for that negligence, they actually seem to think he's doing all the right things! I have never seen a BOR so disconnected from reality, and so enthusiastic about publicly rewarding incompetence.

tnt said:
grizpack said:
tnt said:
Heres the problem. Enrollment is only one number. Graduation is the one that counts. MSU was in deep dooh just a few years ago at only 26%. They have that number headed in right direction. U of M is having record graduations both in number an percentage more importantly as an impact in Montana the number Employed in Montana: College of Technology 93% Bachelors 57% Masters 62% Doctoral (including Law) 66%. Total graduation was very close to 50% and continues up.

Sadly these results matter as much as "enrollment" as an impact to the state and return on investment matter as much if not more than enrollment numbers. We could have 20,000 students but if they don't graduate, why bother? Not that it would matter to the Engstrom haters.

One of the things MSU has done is offered more majors for their students who flunk out of the engineering programs to drop down to. Not a bad strategy except with their lack of Liberal arts options, they may produce degrees but they are not producing critical thinkers in fields where they are necessary. (business being one of them) The enrollment problem must stop at U of M or the Liberal arts that are so necessary to so many of the key programs at U of M will start to be hurt.............. But for now both schools are headed the right direction and the taxpayers are getting a lot more bang for the buck.

Maybe it is also because many of the liberal arts degrees produce "critical thinkers" instead of employable graduates. As demonstrated by the professor from UM's letter to the editor a couple of months back. She basically stated that the purpose of college is to expand your thinking, not to make you employable.

I am pretty sure that most of the parents (including this one) who are paying for a college education or two would disagree.....

MSU and Montana Tech show commercials of their graduates applying their skills at high paying jobs. UM shows commercials of people walking in the woods, looking at owls, reading and dancing.

Could be, here's the funny thing. Critical thinkers (Liberal arts - BA vs BS) have higher life time earnings and greater career advancement. (there are a few exceptions: early childhood education, elementary education, home economics, and social work.) While and engineer (especially petroleum) may have a higher starting salary, it stays pretty much the same throughout his career and he ends up working for the Liberal arts based guy whos next step is a graduate program MBA, JD, along with a lot of industry/professional designations etc. The Petroleum Guy spends his career reading core samples, occasionally moves up might even become a "senior Geologist" Expanding thinker/critical thinkers in the meantime are the ones who make things happen. If they haven't got the ability to "think" it doesn't matter WHAT their degree is in

Heres a bunch of charts and Graphs and stuff: http://www.hamiltonproject.org/papers/major_decisions_what_graduates_earn_over_their_lifetimes/

You make some decent points, but your bias is showing. There was a study that came out recently that stated that MSU graduates are earning more than UM graduates. It wasn't a huge difference, but it's there. Parents and students care about those things. Frankly I was surprised at how little both amounts were. Anyways, we have to change something here. Enrollment dropping, fairly low income after college, shitty president...how long can this continue?

Back