• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU- Beau Baldwin (in top 2 for Nevada Job)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mavman said:
get'em_griz said:
Mavman said:
What about charlie strong? I don't think he was given a fair chance at texas and he is a good recruiter.

:? No way in hell a coach like Charlie Strong comes to Montana. He'll be picked up by a big program.

I was talking about for oregon. He would do well there.

:oops: My bad... Thought I was in the Stitt thread.

Griz1 said:
Yukon said:
Cujo said:
Rumor here in oregon is he's a sleeper choice for the Duck job.
I could see that.

I can't see that happening. I think they would look at Bryan Harsin from Boise long before they look at Baldwin and I'm not sure that he has the credentials they want either. In the end it has to be someone Phil Knight wants or it won't work for them. To me that spells a pretty big name from a power conference. Just my opinion.
Or Notre Dame's coach

get'em_griz said:
Mavman said:
get'em_griz said:
Mavman said:
What about charlie strong? I don't think he was given a fair chance at texas and he is a good recruiter.

:? No way in hell a coach like Charlie Strong comes to Montana. He'll be picked up by a big program.

I was talking about for oregon. He would do well there.

:oops: My bad... Thought I was in the Stitt thread.

Understandable since there are 712 of them

grizpack said:
Nevada makes more sense. Honestly, Big Sky football coaches going to D1 don't have a great track record. An AD at a Power 5 conference would have to have really big balls to do that.

For Nevada's sake I hope I'm the only one who thinks of the Wolfpack and Colin Kaepernick in the same moment. :shit:

grizpack said:
Nevada makes more sense. Honestly, Big Sky football coaches going to D1 don't have a great track record. An AD at a Power 5 conference would have to have really big balls to do that.
It's all in the school Tressel didn't have a problem at Ohio State.

PhxGriz said:
grizpack said:

When did Tressel coach in the Big Sky?

Mousegriz said:
PhxGriz said:
grizpack said:

When did Tressel coach in the Big Sky?

Good point, missed that bit, but my point is still the same. If Big Sky coaches were able to step into a program that was a little higher up the chain, they would most likely be more successful.

I think Coach Baldwin would do well at Oregon. Oregon would be lucky to have him. His results at EWU really speak for themselves. There is no chance Oregon would hire him, not nearly enough 'star' power (for lack of a better way to put it).

PhxGriz said:
grizpack said:

I-AA coaches in general don't have a great track record when moving up to FBS. Tressel aside...

AZGrizFan said:
PhxGriz said:
grizpack said:

I-AA coaches in general don't have a great track record when moving up to FBS. Tressel aside...

My point was look at who they usually move up to - bottom feeders. Utah State, UNLV, Wyoming (although Bohl is doing great this season there), Virginia, Washington State, etc.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Cujo said:
Rumor here in oregon is he's a sleeper choice for the Duck job.

Does he need references?

Ducks could do a hell of a lot worse than Baldwin. Guy can find and develop QB's and that's key to winning @ that level.

AZGrizFan said:
PhxGriz said:
grizpack said:

Paul Johnson (GA Southern) and Dennis Erickson (Idaho) haven't done so badly.

Baldwin's a helluva coach. I would be thrilled to see him move on to something bigger and better than EWU.

according to footballscoop.com Baldwin's name has been mentioned as a Nevada candidate by ESPN.

Nevada: Sources tell FootballScoop that Nevada considers Vanderbilt offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig a strong candidate for their open head coaching position. ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg is reporting that Eastern Washington’s (FCS) Beau Baldwin is also a candidate. Over the past few days we have also heard Baldwin’s name mentioned as a potential candidate.

JDoub said:
according to footballscoop.com Baldwin's name has been mentioned as a Nevada candidate by ESPN.

Nevada: Sources tell FootballScoop that Nevada considers Vanderbilt offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig a strong candidate for their open head coaching position. ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg is reporting that Eastern Washington’s (FCS) Beau Baldwin is also a candidate. Over the past few days we have also heard Baldwin’s name mentioned as a potential candidate.

I'm honestly surprised someone hasn't snagged him, he's proven he can win with multiple classes and has a knack for finding talent.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
PhxGriz said:
grizpack said:

My point exactly. There's so few who've been successful you can literally name them on one hand.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
PhxGriz said:

My point exactly. There's so few who've been successful you can literally name them on one hand.

but there's also been quite a few coaches who had success at one FBS school, that did not win at other FBS schools. not sure if the success rate is much different comparing FCS-FBS to FBS-FBS moves.

A few more FCS/lower division head coaches that are currently good FBS head coaches:
Jim Harbaugh (San Diego) - Michigan
Chris Ault (Nevada) retired
Brian Kelly (Grand Valley State DII) -- Notre Dame
David Cutcliffe (Banks High School) -- Duke
Hugh Freeze (Briarcrest HS and Lambuth University) -- Ole Miss
Kirk Ferentz (Maine) -- Iowa
Todd Graham (Allen High School TX) -- Arizona State
Gus Malzahn (Shiloh Christian and Springdale High Schools) -- Auburn
Gary Andersen (SUU) -- Oregon State

FCS/lower assistants that are now FBS/NFL head coaches:
Marv Lewis (Idaho State) ass't -- Cincinnati Bengals
Jim McElwain (EWU & Montana State) ass't -- Florida