• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU- Beau Baldwin (in top 2 for Nevada Job)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paytonlives said:
Why the hurry at Nevada?

The winter dead period begins on Dec. 12.

One reason coaching changes happen quicker and jobs are filled quicker is because of the month-long winter Dead/Quiet period,

Most new coaches would want some junior college or dropdown help. The signing dates for junior college mid-year transfers starts December 14th and runs thru January 15th. I am sure some of these prospects who have been recruited by Nevada prior to the coaching change want to know what the new staff may do with the offers they received from the previous staff. The new staff may also have prospects in mind and are telling them to just hold on for a little while longer before committing because "we want you".

Grizzoola said:
JDoub said:
but there's also been quite a few coaches who had success at one FBS school, that did not win at other FBS schools. not sure if the success rate is much different comparing FCS-FBS to FBS-FBS moves.
A few more FCS/lower division head coaches that are currently good FBS head coaches: ....
FCS/lower assistants that are now FBS/NFL head coaches: ....
:thumb: Thanks! Clears up a lot of ambiguity and ignorance re: this issue!

Then there's "drop down " coach Bo Pelini who wound up at Youngstown State after getting bounced out of Nebraska.

In the world of social media, this may be a done deal. EWUs recruiting coord, Valeria, started following all of Nevada recruits and some coaches on twitter. Sounds funny, but this is the best indication yet that something is going down.

HookedonGriz said:
In the world of social media, this may be a done deal. EWUs recruiting coord, Valeria, started following all of Nevada recruits and some coaches on twitter. Sounds funny, but this is the best indication yet that something is going down.

However, our coaches have been following a lot of the Nevada recruits. With a coaching change happening there maybe other coaches see an opportunity to get some of their verbal commits.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/dec/05/eagles-coach-beau-baldwin-interviews-at-nevada/

Eastern Washington football coach Beau Baldwin is one of three finalists for the vacancy at Nevada and has interviewed for the position, The Spokesman-Review has learned from multiple sources.

Baldwin is one of three finalists for the position, according to the Reno Gazette-Journal. The others are Vanderbilt offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig and a mystery candidate who also will be interviewed this week.

Baldwin and Ludwig have been leading candidates from the start.

Nevada athletic director Doug Knuth said last week that the Wolf Pack plans to name a new coach by Friday to replace Brian Polian, who was fired Nov. 27. That’s partly because Knuth wants the new coach to move quickly into recruiting.

Coincidentally or not, Cherokee Valeria, Eastern’s cornerbacks coach and recruiting coordinator, has recently begun following Nevada football commits on Twitter.

Baldwin did not return calls to his cell phone Monday afternoon.

Nevada’s search has focused on offensive-oriented coaches.

Baldwin, 44, was a quarterback at Central Washington and has spent the last 22 seasons as a coach at either CWU or Eastern. Since taking over for Paul Wulff, Baldwin has guided the Eagles to an 84-31 overall record and 58-14 in the Big Sky.

This year’s team is 11-1 and will host Richmond in an FCS quarterfinal game on Saturday, but that won’t be a distraction if Baldwin gets the Nevada job. Two years ago, former North Dakota State coach Craig Bohl was midway through the postseason when he accepted the job at Wyoming.

Bohl finished out his time at NDSU with a third straight national title.

The Nevada job could hold some attraction for the 44-year-old Baldwin. Reno is located near the strong recruiting grounds in California, the program has a newly renovated 25,000-seat stadium and has a tradition of success.

Baldwin also could expect to more than double his salary, which currently is about $220,000 annually. Polian’s base was $585,000 with almost $100,000 in incentives.

This isn’t the first time on the coaching carrousel for Baldwin, who drew interest from Oregon State in 2014.

The 52-year-old Ludwig has never been a head coach, but has been an offensive coordinator at various programs since 1997.

Ludwig has worked at Cal Poly, Fresno State, Oregon, Utah, Kansas State, Cal, San Diego State, Wisconsin and Vanderbilt. He was a receiver at Portland State from 1985-86.

Several other names have dropped off Knuth’s list. UCLA quarterbacks coach Marques Tuiasosopo and Oklahoma State running backs coach Marcus Arroyo are no longer in the mix, according to the Gazette-Journal.

If the best coach Nevada can hire is Beau Baldwin they need to think about dropping football altogether.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Man1 said:
If the best coach Nevada can hire is Beau Baldwin they need to think about dropping football altogether.

Stupid post; Baldwin's credentials speak for themselves.

Man1 said:

LOL. Someone is either stupid, drunk, or maybe both.

THE BETCH said:
Baldwin is by far the best coach in the Big Sky, good possibility entire FCS.
Except for that pesky defense.

Picking the best FCS coach is tricky. The good ones go quick. I'd say KC out at Sam Houston is probably running the best group, and he's been consistent for the last 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE BETCH said:
With UM's abdication, Baldwin is the guy that lights the fire in the Big Sky. Taking over from Paul Wulff (who fell flat on his face at WSU), he went 5-3, 6-2, 7-1 in conference play right out of the gate. No excuses. Hate to be the guy that has to follow him at EWU. A lot to live up to.

Nevada makes perfect sense for Baldwin, my LONG shot ultimate reach for a coach would be if the Rams fired Fisher after next year maybe he'd come to U of M if he couldn't get another NFL job. Its my conspiracy theory pick, OBVIOUSLY I know its not realistic but he does live in Montana in the offseason.

kemajic said:
Man1 said:

Stupid post; Baldwin's credentials speak for themselves.
I agree, which is why he stays at Eastern

THE BETCH said:
Not even top 5 come on people get real

Grisly Fan said:
Knight will lay down whatever coin is needed to get the kind of person he wants.

:agree: Which is why I think the SF 49ers coach is still a potential candidate.

In the coaching profession it is very common, and understood that they will interview for numerous jobs and will build familiarity/ professional relationships/friendships. I have noticed for years that sports fan bulletin board posts reflect a lack of understanding of that facet. Coaches like Baldwin may interview for several jobs and may have "informal conversations" about several other jobs.

I think this is a done deal but no one is really talking....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/radioguyty/status/806250391146885120[/tweet]

brewskis said:
THE BETCH said:
Except for that pesky defense.
EWU has had limited resources and I will say Baldwin has done a fantastic job in prioritizing them. Nevada would offer a broader resource base and 22 extra schollies, so I would make a bet that his defense would get much more attention and priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back