• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expect Ratio of Griz Fans Saturday

I have a really good friend that I wll go to the game with. There is no way in hell that either of us would sit together during this game! We're both in agreement about it. I will sit with the Griz andhe will be on the Wyoming side where he belongs. We'll still be firends after, but no way we could sit together.

gah-riz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/rpgagliardi/status/504355259083280384[/tweet]

Kind of sad to me. I'm surprised there aren't 2,000 Griz fans willing to go to Laramie. I understand that there will be some who sourced their tix elsewhere but I suspect the Athletic Department negotiated the payout from Wyo on the basis that they could sell all 2,000. The 1,000 tix returned cost the athletic budget $40,000.

mcg said:
gah-riz said:

Kind of sad to me. I'm surprised there aren't 2,000 Griz fans willing to go to Laramie. I understand that there will be some who sourced their tix elsewhere but I suspect the Athletic Department negotiated the payout from Wyo on the basis that they could sell all 2,000. The 1,000 tix returned cost the athletic budget $40,000.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's generally part of the contract. I'd be surprised if that cost UM $$.

wbtfg said:
mcg said:
gah-riz said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's generally part of the contract. I'd be surprised if that cost UM $$.

I saw a tweet here that UM was paid $400,000 plus was given 2,000 tix to sell. In the context of the sentence I understood the tickets were additional compensation to UM.

I will be making the 610 mile drive to watch the game. We will have a total of 8 people along for the ride.
We ordered our tickets through the WY website for two reasons.
1) The section they put the Griz fans in was horrible.
2) The tickets were 12.00 less on the WY site.

I too believe we should have a great showing of fans. I look forward to the game and hope to see the Griz compete with a so-called FBS team. GO GRIZ!!

While I'm kind of surprised that UM returned 1,000 tickets considering how well Griz fans travel, especially to nearby games, UM has no one to blame but themselves for doing a piss poor job of marketing the tickets. They've done a pretty piss poor job of marketing anything in recent years, in fact they've done a poor job of marketing since Hogan left the AD position.

Fahque said:
While I'm kind of surprised that UM returned 1,000 tickets considering how well Griz fans travel, especially to nearby games, UM has no one to blame but themselves for doing a piss poor job of marketing the tickets. They've done a pretty piss poor job of marketing anything in recent years, in fact they've done a poor job of marketing since Hogan left the AD position.

That's one thing I don't understand about UM... They have such a great product to sell that they don't put any effort or take any pride in marketing that product. That goes for basketball too. Maybe UM assumes that they don't need to market to Griz Nation because they think the product sells itself, who knows.

I'm not gonna say UM is good at marketing, although I actually thoughtt ALL of last season was marketed extremely well. Gogriz.com was EXCELLENT (FOR A CHANGE) last season. But yes, in general, marketing UM sports has been pretty lame over the years, which is weird considering how big UM football, and men's and women's basketball have become.

Having said that though, I always laugh when people say the actual games themselves should be marketed better. By the middle of August, there are about 1 MILLION different ways to find out the schedule, AND if you're a Griz fan, you'd have to live completely under a rock, and I mean literally, to not know this stuff. Christ, my good friends in TURNER know the Griz schedule as well as I do.

mcg said:
gah-riz said:

Obviously you've never been to Laramie .... Epitome of a dive.

msuhunter said:
mcg said:
gah-riz said:

people touched on this but this happens all the time. just because your fans didn't use the exact tickets wyoming gave you...doesn't mean you're not sending that many people. probably more.

i know that many times when i travel to watch games, while i'd love to sit with other cat fans, depending on the size of my group that's not possible. i'd rather sit in better seats with the people i traveled with even if it means getting seats other than the ones allotted to our school. this is likely the case here... :twocents:

When the Griz play at NAU, I always buy a big block of tickets FROM NAU. They are much better seats and cheaper than what you can get from UM.

Also, I thought I read that the 2000 tickets for the Wyoming game were available to season ticket? holders first. Something like that.

msuhunter said:
mcg said:
gah-riz said:

Yet you willingly chose to go there and drop money into the town and university for your college career...

We have 10 in our group all tickets purchased through UW website, I think Wyoming fans will be surprised at the turn out of Griz fans.

mcg said:
gah-riz said:

Yes, a truly disappointing performance by GrizNation. In an unusual deal, In addition to the $400 M payout, UM received all revenue for the sale of their allotted tickets. Anyone who bought from Wyoming instead poured their money into the Wyoming program. This is not news; it's been stated here numerous times in numerous threads. I suspect that anyone that was turned away by GoGriz was past the deadline to return tix to Wyoming. I had no problem securing 4 tix from GoGriz in early August.

Chief said:
We have 10 in our group all tickets purchased through UW website, I think Wyoming fans will be surprised at the turn out of Griz fans.

We had Texas at the stadium in 2007.. that's a fanbase that travels. After that nothing is surprising. The Huskers in 2012 was crazy too.

MrTitleist said:
Chief said:

We had Texas at the stadium in 2007.. that's a fanbase that travels. After that nothing is surprising. The Huskers in 2012 was crazy too.

I think Chief was thinking more in regard to being surprised that fans of an FCS school travel so well. No way we come even remotely close to traveling like Texas or Nebraska. We should have a much higher turnout of Griz fans than Cal Poly, Weber State, or NDSU fans did in recent trips to Laramie.

It's Labor Day weekend and not only is Laramie a long way from Missoula and the rest of Montana for that matter, it is also a long way to anything once you get there. So after the game unless you're going to drive further on to Denver, you are a in for a butt numbing ride to anything worthwhile.

I bet the Griz fans number 1,200.

Latest posts

Back