• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expectations

grizindabox said:
So talking about talent, where do you think the Griz sit talent wise compared with other schools in the Big Sky? Other schools in FCS?

Do you believe that UM has the best talent in the BSC? Are they middle of the pack?

I am not a coach/expert, and I was a rugby player so my opinion is only as a fan/fanatic plus I'm Scotish and drink heavily so take these with a grain of salt. 2.5 being an average Big Sky player (in my opinion)

5/5 Waggs, Johnson, Canada, Henderson, Shaw
4/5 Takai, Kidder, Hermanson, J.Jones, Vann, Harper, Schmaing, Poole,Wilson
3/5 Holmes, Harris, Dennard, Crittendon, Held

I did not consider: Gamboa, Schye, Van Ackeren,Whitted, Walcott, Naccarato, Owen, Nelson, McKinney, Anderson,Strahm, Lebsock, Hagfors, Nguyen, Kose, Weyer, Dietrich, LaRowe, Kelly, Haynes or Saylor because I haven't seen them play enough to really know, even though I think many of them are going to be top players in the conference. I also didn't mention Joey Counts because of his injuries, though I rate him as at least a 4 with potential to be a 5.

Overall to quote Winston Zedimore in Ghostbusters "We have the tools, we have the talent!!!" EWU might be better on paper but we are there or there abouts in terms of top talent in the conference.

grizindabox said:
So talking about talent, where do you think the Griz sit talent wise compared with other schools in the Big Sky? Other schools in FCS?

Do you believe that UM has the best talent in the BSC? Are they middle of the pack?

QB: Top 2 or 3 in the conference. IMO Vernon Adams, Jordan Johnson, and Garret Safron are the best 3 QBs in the Big Sky.

RB: Best in the conference. Taking into account the stable of running backs the UM has I don't know if any team is as good. No one player is probably "the best" but the mix of Canada, Van, and Counts is hard to match.

WR: Middle of the pack. Ellis Henderson is one of the better WRs in the Big Sky, beyond him I need to see more consistency from Jones, and how Naccarato, Walcott, Haynes, and Rogers will work their way in.

TE: Bottom third. I like the pass-catching potential of Harper and Saylor, but the TE hasn't been used much and it's hard to grade out how they block compared to other TEs in the conference. Tough to say.

OL: Middle of the pack. We've got two of the more experienced tackles in the Big Sky, that's good. And then we've got three inexperienced interior linemen. That suggests it'll not be so good. Time will tell.

DL: One of the better D-lines in the conference. Wagenmann and Holmes are the best starting pair of DE's in the Big Sky. Takai is a serviceable tackle and Kidder is loaded with potential - however we need to see better consistency on the field.

LB: No clue. They could be great, they could be bad. All new guys essentially and they're light. Pass coverage should be good, run support could be dicey. Again, I like the potential here of all these guys, especially Van Ack, Kose, Schye, and Gamboa... but we need to see how they'll be during the game.

CB: Middle of the pack. No "lock down" corner that will shut down a team's #1 WR but three above average corners (IMO) in Harris, Dennard, and Nelson.

S: Lower 1/3. I believe Hermanson could continue to improve and will play his best football this season, that's based on what I've seen in spring - however he needs to prove that first. Opposite of him it's totally unproven.

K: Lower 1/3. Again, I see improvement, I'm hopeful for gains, but it needs to be proven in games.

P: Top 3. Did NAU's beast of a punter graduate? Shaw is one of the better punters in the Big Sky

KR/PR: Top 3. A healthy Henderson is one of the better returners the Big Sky has.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
We have 3 guys that are standouts the rest are middle to lower in the very soft BSC

Standouts IMO:

Jordan Johnson
Jordan Canada
Travon Van
Ellis Henderson
John Schmaing
Trevor Poole
Zach Wagenmann
Tyrone Holmes
Tonga Takai
Stephen Shaw

Guys that could develop into standouts this year IMO:

Jamaal Jones
Joey Counts
Chase Naccarato
Jordan Harper
Nate Harris
Kendrick Van Ackeren
Tucker Schye
Jeremiah Kose
Herbert Gamboa

BWahlberg said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
We have 3 guys that are standouts the rest are middle to lower in the very soft BSC

Standouts IMO:

Jordan Johnson
Jordan Canada
Travon Van
Ellis Henderson
John Schmaing
Trevor Poole
Zach Wagenmann
Tyrone Holmes
Tonga Takai
Stephen Shaw

Jamaal Jones
Joey Counts
Chase Naccarato
Jordan Harper
Nate Harris
Kendrick Van Ackeren
Tucker Schye
Jeremiah Kose
Herbert Gamboa

Why not just type the 3or4 that are NOT on your list and save internet bandwidth?

:coffee:

grizindabox said:
JJ may be in the Top 3 QB's in the BSC...but is that really very impressive?

Saffron and Adams looked damn impressive last season. It always helps having a great QB. I prefer Saffron and JJ though. Adams drives me crazy with throwing it up way too often. Then again, I guess when a team has WR factory like EWU does, it helps more often than it hurts.

Sorry EWU fans, I just am not sold on Adams for that reason. Yes, I am aware he is likely to put up amazing out of this world numbers for 2 more years. If he does not get some discipline to his game, he will not make it very far professionally in any league. He will cost his team a game come the playoffs.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
BWahlberg said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Standouts IMO:

Jordan Johnson
Jordan Canada
Travon Van
Ellis Henderson
John Schmaing
Trevor Poole
Zach Wagenmann
Tyrone Holmes
Tonga Takai
Stephen Shaw

Jamaal Jones
Joey Counts
Chase Naccarato
Jordan Harper
Nate Harris
Kendrick Van Ackeren
Tucker Schye
Jeremiah Kose
Herbert Gamboa

Why not just type the 3or4 that are NOT on your list and save internet bandwidth?

Classic Alpha :lol:

mtgrizrule said:
grizindabox said:

Saffron and Adams looked damn impressive last season. It always helps having a great QB. I prefer Saffron and JJ though. Adams drives me crazy with throwing it up way too often. Then again, I guess when a team has WR factory like EWU does, it helps more often than it hurts.

Sorry EWU fans, I just am not sold on Adams for that reason. Yes, I am aware he is likely to put up amazing out of this world numbers for 2 more years. If he does not get some discipline to his game, he will not make it very far professionally in any league. He will cost his team a game come the playoffs.

Understand the Adams situation, but he had 55 td passes. Definitely throws the ball up, but like you said, more often than not, its turns out to be a good thing, had some costly mistakes though. Good thing for Adams is pretty much all of his receivers are back the next two years and Bourne will see more playing time with the departure of Clark. EWU will run a lot more this year as well with Forte back and hopefully DJ Martin being eligible.

JJ has the talent to be great, it just seems like he is kind of wasted in the Griz system. If the coaching staff loosens up the reins a little more this year, JJ could (should) have a big time year.

The Griz offense should be good this year, the question is about your D....The D wasn't great last year and it seems as if you lost some of your best players on that side of the ball...

marceagfan5 said:
mtgrizrule said:
grizindabox said:

Understand the Adams situation, but he had 55 td passes. Definitely throws the ball up, but like you said, more often than not, its turns out to be a good thing, had some costly mistakes though. Good thing for Adams is pretty much all of his receivers are back the next two years and Bourne will see more playing time with the departure of Clark. EWU will run a lot more this year as well with Forte back and hopefully DJ Martin being eligible.

JJ has the talent to be great, it just seems like he is kind of wasted in the Griz system. If the coaching staff loosens up the reins a little more this year, JJ could (should) have a big time year.

The Griz offense should be good this year, the question is about your D....The D wasn't great last year and it seems as if you lost some of your best players on that side of the ball...

I am sure many GRIZ fans, including myself, echo your opinion about JJ and our coaching staff needing to loosen the reigns. Defensively, we are better at DL and DB this season. LB is a crap shoot as to who will emerge. The common consensus here is the LBs will defend the pass much better and be better gang tacklers this season. Overall, I am of believe defense will be better due to more experience at DL and DB this year. However, there needs to be a lot of improvement defensively to contend for a national championship. To get the needed improvement our coaching staff has to get better with schemes. That is the biggest ? for the defense this season.

In the fan's eyes this is a huge year to make or break this coaching staff. Many doubt this is a make or break year for the staff from the eyes of Engstrom though.

marceagfan5 said:
mtgrizrule said:
grizindabox said:

Yeah.. They don't give him the room he needs to work with. They are most definitely holding back in potential. The coaches need to let the offense ride on his shoulders. He's a playmaker, let him go!

As for the defense, It lies on the coordinator for enforcing such a weak defensive scheme.. He's a great linebacker coach but struggles as a D Coordinator. Our defense is way too soft. You guys will have no problem putting more than 40 points on us this year..

grizcountry420 said:
marceagfan5 said:
mtgrizrule said:
grizindabox said:

Yeah.. They don't give him the room he needs to work with. They are most definitely holding back in potential. The coaches need to let the offense ride on his shoulders. He's a playmaker, let him go!

As for the defense, It lies on the coordinator for enforcing such a weak defensive scheme.. He's a great linebacker coach but struggles as a D Coordinator. Our defense is way too soft. You guys will have no problem putting more than 40 points on us this year..

Quit taking my opinions!! lol
Don't you know? We have no idea what we are talking about. We have not played the game at this level. :thumb: :lol:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
BWahlberg said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Standouts IMO:

Jordan Johnson
Jordan Canada
Travon Van
Ellis Henderson
John Schmaing
Trevor Poole
Zach Wagenmann
Tyrone Holmes
Tonga Takai
Stephen Shaw

Jamaal Jones
Joey Counts
Chase Naccarato
Jordan Harper
Nate Harris
Kendrick Van Ackeren
Tucker Schye
Jeremiah Kose
Herbert Gamboa

So of the 10 standouts I've listed, 1 being special teams (Shaw) - which ones do you disagree with and why?

The others I list as potential, they might get there, they might not. Hence = potential.

48625903.jpg

I expect a national championship. I realistically see what has come to be anticipated......a winning season record, barely. Makes me want to vomit. This year will be the highlight of years, so enjoy it as it is. This is the happy result of the Pflu/O'Day era. The RE/Delaney clusterf*ck is just gaining momentum.

BWahlberg said:
grizindabox said:

QB: Top 2 or 3 in the conference. IMO Vernon Adams, Jordan Johnson, and Garret Safron are the best 3 QBs in the Big Sky.

RB: Best in the conference. Taking into account the stable of running backs the UM has I don't know if any team is as good. No one player is probably "the best" but the mix of Canada, Van, and Counts is hard to match.

WR: Middle of the pack. Ellis Henderson is one of the better WRs in the Big Sky, beyond him I need to see more consistency from Jones, and how Naccarato, Walcott, Haynes, and Rogers will work their way in.

TE: Bottom third. I like the pass-catching potential of Harper and Saylor, but the TE hasn't been used much and it's hard to grade out how they block compared to other TEs in the conference. Tough to say.

OL: Middle of the pack. We've got two of the more experienced tackles in the Big Sky, that's good. And then we've got three inexperienced interior linemen. That suggests it'll not be so good. Time will tell.

DL: One of the better D-lines in the conference. Wagenmann and Holmes are the best starting pair of DE's in the Big Sky. Takai is a serviceable tackle and Kidder is loaded with potential - however we need to see better consistency on the field.

LB: No clue. They could be great, they could be bad. All new guys essentially and they're light. Pass coverage should be good, run support could be dicey. Again, I like the potential here of all these guys, especially Van Ack, Kose, Schye, and Gamboa... but we need to see how they'll be during the game.

CB: Middle of the pack. No "lock down" corner that will shut down a team's #1 WR but three above average corners (IMO) in Harris, Dennard, and Nelson.

S: Lower 1/3. I believe Hermanson could continue to improve and will play his best football this season, that's based on what I've seen in spring - however he needs to prove that first. Opposite of him it's totally unproven.

K: Lower 1/3. Again, I see improvement, I'm hopeful for gains, but it needs to be proven in games.

P: Top 3. Did NAU's beast of a punter graduate? Shaw is one of the better punters in the Big Sky

KR/PR: Top 3. A healthy Henderson is one of the better returners the Big Sky has.

Brint:
This is a pretty good analysis IMO. It's fair and impartial. Growler has you pegged incorrectly. When put on the spot, you really don't sugarcoat. My question is how does this translate into a BSC tittle?

CDAGRIZ said:
AllWeatherFan said:
I predict 6-5. Hope I'm wrong.

That would be disappointing. I know I might sound like a "spoiled Griz fan," but, at a minimum, I expect us to play all the games on the schedule.

I predict that, after we start out 6-5, the fans storm the field with pitchforks and torches, and the remainder of the season is canceled out of concern for players' and coaches' safety.

CDAGRIZ said:
AllWeatherFan said:
I predict 6-5. Hope I'm wrong.

That would be disappointing. I know I might sound like a "spoiled Griz fan," but, at a minimum, I expect us to play all the games on the schedule.

You should tell your girlfriend.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Even playing in the BSC we can't expect much more than 6-5 or 7-4 next year.

Back