• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expectations

IntuitiveGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
OL: Middle of the pack. We've got two of the more experienced tackles in the Big Sky, that's good. And then we've got three inexperienced interior linemen. That suggests it'll not be so good. Time will tell.

CB: Middle of the pack. No "lock down" corner that will shut down a team's #1 WR but three above average corners (IMO) in Harris, Dennard, and Nelson.

I'm confidently giving OL a bottom third ranking, at this point. Sweet Jesus I hope they improve from now until conference play, if not before. Otherwise the Griz are S C R E W E D. We have 2 returning starters, and 1 of them ran around last season, conservatively half the time to 3/4 of the time, as if he was the QB who had already handed off the ball and was running away from the play giving off the body language of "Please don't hurt/touch me". He constantly ran around and purposely didn't touch/block a soul. Picture this, he was like that lead blocker (fullback) we've all seen at every level of football that runs through the line of scrimmage, only to completely not make his block because he acts like he doesn't see him, and then has his defender make the tackle, all while he then turns around and stands around the pile wondering why the ball carrier never got anywhere. He stood around the pile (without a defender of course) more than the flippin officials. It's because Princess took the play(S) off! Damn I'm getting fired up thinking about it. :lol:

Harris is a talented kid. But he played scared/soft last year. He was lined up soft, and then he bailed deep a lot on routes that the WR broke off to middle depth leaving him open for an easy pitch and catch. And I say he was scared/played soft coverage with confidence because well I saw it with my own eyes, that and the fact that on the Grizzly Sports Report program interview with Harris he mentioned how the DC would come into the room after the 2012 burn season and joke to the DBs about getting burned...and Harris replied something to the effect that I'm going to show you I'm not going to get burned. Hence his fear and soft coverage preventing the deep ball, but giving up short and intermediate routes routinely in 2013. Can't blame Harris too much, the Griz DL didn't get to the QB.

Can't argue much there based on last year but I'll say this, Harris isn't playing soft/scared this year.

NewPapaBear said:
Again, player health, coaching schemes & proper utilization of personnel will be vital!

W - Aug. 30 @ Wyoming is ripe w/ new coach new qb issues & players buy-in problems
W - Sept. 6 vs Central Washington shouldn't be on the schedule but they are (bye week #1)
W - Sept. 13 vs South Dakota
L - Sept. 20 @ North Dakota State very close game will be decided on TO/Spec Teams
W - Sept. 27 vs Northern Colorado * (Homecoming)
W - Oct. 4 @ North Dakota *
Oct. 11 BYE WEEK #2
W - Oct. 18 vs UC Davis * (Pink Game)
W - Oct. 25 @ Cal Poly *
W - Nov. 1 vs Sacramento State * (Military Appreciation Day)
L - Nov. 8 @ Eastern Washington * we got outschemed & out coached; expect the same
W - Nov. 15 @ Southern Utah *
W - Nov. 22 vs Montana State *

10-2 or 9-3 road games @ Cal Poly & Southern Utah will present in conference challenges.
Top eight seed in post season tournament because NCAA wants that $$$ from Griz home games.
FCS Quarter Finalists if healthy with scheme improvements & superior offensive personnel.

10-2 is a VERY positive outlook. I think 8-4 is a more likely scenario.

NewPapaBear said:
Again, player health, coaching schemes & proper utilization of personnel will be vital!

L - Aug. 30 @ Wyoming is ripe w/ new coach new qb issues & players buy-in problems
W - Sept. 6 vs Central Washington shouldn't be on the schedule but they are (bye week #1)
L - Sept. 20 @ North Dakota State very close game will be decided on TO/Spec Teams
Oct. 11 BYE WEEK #2
L - Oct. 18 vs UC Davis * (Pink Game)
W - Oct. 25 @ Cal Poly *
L - Nov. 1 vs Sacramento State * (Military Appreciation Day)
L - Nov. 8 @ Eastern Washington * we got outschemed & out coached; expect the same
L - Nov. 22 vs Montana State *

10-2 or 9-3 road games @ Cal Poly & Southern Utah will present in conference challenges.
Top eight seed in post season tournament because NCAA wants that $$$ from Griz home games.
FCS Quarter Finalists if healthy with scheme improvements & superior offensive personnel.

My predictions above, and honestly South Dakota, Cow Polly, and SUU could be damn tough games too. Tough schedule. Three OT games last year and you won them all... pretty lucky if you ask me. If you O Line comes together and can dominate teams like you used to be able to do... I might see you getting to 8-4 best case.

With the offense putting up 38-40 points per game (on average) and only losing a few guys on the O line *but reloaded* I think the defense was the Griz's only fault. Instead of allowing ther teams to run away at mid game, I expect the D this season to not be so "soft" and not let the scoreboard read 35-21 halfway thru the 3rd Quarter. I say 9-3 overall (7-1 in conference) and BSC co-champs with EWU. From the sounds of it, EWU has had a few troubles on the O line and their D has stepped up. Adams threw three picks the other day and was sacked a few times. Sounds like the pressure was gettin to him. I think the Griz beat EWU this year by 6 only because EWU don't really have a kicker. I understand the Griz have troubles with the kicking end but EWU's kicker graduated and their sole freshman kicker.... we'll just say he is in some serious shit right now. Not 100% sure if he was booted off the team or not tho.

In terms of the overall growth and success of the program, the expectations are Big Sky championships and to compete for National championships. Every year. Although I don't believe this staff will take the program in that direction. We'll be a top 3 BSC team every year and be happy with one or two playoff wins, but we won't dominate.

For next year, I expect it will go just like 2013. Talent bails coaching, we get a playoff win, Mick gets an extension.

griz5700 said:
In terms of the overall growth and success of the program, the expectations are Big Sky championships and to compete for National championships. Every year. Although I don't believe this staff will take the program in that direction. We'll be a top 3 BSC team every year and be happy with one or two playoff wins, but we won't dominate.

For next year, I expect it will go just like 2013. Talent bails coaching, we get a playoff win, Mick gets an extension.

My same recurring nightmare.

poorgriz said:
NewPapaBear said:

L - Aug. 30 @ Wyoming is ripe w/ new coach new qb issues & players buy-in problems
Oct. 11 BYE WEEK #2
W - Oct. 25 @ Cal Poly *

My predictions above, and honestly South Dakota, Cow Polly, and SUU could be damn tough games too. Tough schedule. Three OT games last year and you won them all... pretty lucky if you ask me. If you O Line comes together and can dominate teams like you used to be able to do... I might see you getting to 8-4 best case.

USD won't be as tough this year. Plus, it's in Missoula. And I'll walk naked down Main street if the Griz go 2-4 to end the season. 4-2 or 5-1 is more likely.

My expectations are that everyone involved with the program will do their best every day. And that will result in a winning record and a playoff berth. How deep it will be is beyond my control. I also expect there will be many message board gurus who will engage in wailing and gnashing of teeth when they should probably be cheering for the Griz.

Go Griz!

AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:
NewPapaBear said:

Oct. 11 BYE WEEK #2
W - Oct. 25 @ Cal Poly *

USD won't be as tough this year. Plus, it's in Missoula. And I'll walk naked down Main street if the Griz go 2-4 to end the season. 4-2 or 5-1 is more likely.

Ya, I randomly picked one of the two back to back CA games for you to lose. I don't think you'll lose both but winning both will be very tough. Also, Colter Nuanez is liking UC Davis to a be a sleeper good team.

Lastly, on that last part... please don't. Unless you're a hot woman. :lol:

NLGrizFan said:
With the offense putting up 38-40 points per game (on average) and only losing a few guys on the O line *but reloaded* I think the defense was the Griz's only fault. Instead of allowing ther teams to run away at mid game, I expect the D this season to not be so "soft" and not let the scoreboard read 35-21 halfway thru the 3rd Quarter. I say 9-3 overall (7-1 in conference) and BSC co-champs with EWU. From the sounds of it, EWU has had a few troubles on the O line and their D has stepped up. Adams threw three picks the other day and was sacked a few times. Sounds like the pressure was gettin to him. I think the Griz beat EWU this year by 6 only because EWU don't really have a kicker. I understand the Griz have troubles with the kicking end but EWU's kicker graduated and their sole freshman kicker.... we'll just say he is in some serious shit right now. Not 100% sure if he was booted off the team or not tho.

Uh... so please don't tell me you think BB would actually start Fall camp with no kickers on the roster? Not gonna happen.

there's an old saying about how defense wins championships and another about it don't matter how good your skill players are if they don't have an o line.

so i think we'll go as far as our o line and defense takes us.

poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:
NewPapaBear said:

Oct. 11 BYE WEEK #2
W - Oct. 25 @ Cal Poly *

Ya, I randomly picked one of the two back to back CA games for you to lose. I don't think you'll lose both but winning both will be very tough. Also, Colter Nuanez is liking UC Davis to a be a sleeper good team.

Lastly, on that last part... please don't. Unless you're a hot woman. :lol:

You "randomly" picked us to lose a HOME game to a UC-Davis team that we beat 42-7 last year? :? :? :? And you "randomly" picked us to lose 3 straight home games? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the last 5 go W-L-W-L-W-W.

Here's how I see it, unfortunately:

L - Aug. 30 @ Wyoming
W - Sept. 6 vs Central Washington
L - Sept. 20 @ North Dakota State
W - Sept. 27 vs Northern Colorado *
Oct. 11 BYE Week
W - Oct. 18 vs UC Davis *
L - Oct. 25 @ Cal Poly *
W - Nov. 1 vs Sacramento State *
L - Nov. 8 @ Eastern Washington *
L - Nov. 15 @ Southern Utah *

AllWeatherFan said:

L - Aug. 30 @ Wyoming
Oct. 11 BYE Week
L - Oct. 25 @ Cal Poly *
win every home game and lose every road game?

AllWeatherFan said:

L - Aug. 30 @ Wyoming
Oct. 11 BYE Week
L - Oct. 25 @ Cal Poly *

Then get some new glasses :ugeek:

Based upon most of the projections...there's no way Mick keeps his job.
He's a good man & has done a great job steering the ship back into the right direction.
If I was him I wouldnt leave it up to anyone else. I would call my own shot at the right time!

poorgriz said:
NLGrizFan said:

Uh... so please don't tell me you think BB would actually start Fall camp with no kickers on the roster? Not gonna happen.
I'm not sayin that. But I haven't heard anything about a new kicker yet. I'm sure they've got someone in mind... I'd imagine. Unless they pick up a drop down, I think they're stuck with a true freshman kicker. Speculation of course...

AZGrizFan said:
NewPapaBear said:

W - Aug. 30 @ Wyoming is ripe w/ new coach new qb issues & players buy-in problems
Oct. 11 BYE WEEK #2
W - Oct. 18 vs UC Davis * (Pink Game)
W - Oct. 25 @ Cal Poly *
W - Nov. 1 vs Sacramento State * (Military Appreciation Day)

10-2 is a VERY positive outlook. I think 8-4 is a more likely scenario.

The schedule is a killer but I find it so funny that theres all this talk about moving up, yet with what could be the toughest schedule in some time waiting this fall there;s not a lot of optimism from Griz Nation.

Just an observation not pointed at you.
BTW What are your two other predicted potential losses?

Back