• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Explaining My Position on Coach Stitt

Atlanta Griz1

It is no secret that I do not believe that coach Stitt has the right stuff to lead us back to 1) dominating a weak Big Sky Conference again, and 2) Playing in the the National Championship game as we have done 5 times in the past.

If I could be athletic director for a year, here would be my criteria regarding coach Stitt.

A) If he did not make the playoffs this year, I would buy out his remaining year and move on
B) If he made the playoffs, but lost the first game, I would allow him to finish his 3-year contract, but would not renew his contract unless he progressed to the semi-finals or beyond in his last season of his contract. If he accomplished this, I would give him a new contract.

Understand that my goal is for our program to return to dominance. And, it can be done with the right head coach running the show. We just have to determine if Stitt is the right coach. Remember when Alabama went through 3 head coaches (DuBose, Franchione, Shula) after Stallings won their last National Championship in 1996 and retired. USC is going through that process now after Carroll left. In my mind, we are in a similar process. I don't count Pflu, because I think he was on the right track to return us to prominence before his untimely demise. But we have suffered through Delaney, and now Stitt is trying to be the man. Will he be the answer. I will know after this season is over. Will you????

Atlanta Griz1 said:
It is no secret that I do not believe that coach Stitt has the right stuff to lead us back to 1) dominating a weak Big Sky Conference again, and 2) Playing in the the National Championship game as we have done 5 times in the past.

If I could be athletic director for a year, here would be my criteria regarding coach Stitt.

A) If he did not make the playoffs this year, I would buy out his remaining year and move on
B) If he made the playoffs, but lost the first game, I would allow him to finish his 3-year contract, but would not renew his contract unless he progressed to the semi-finals or beyond in his last season of his contract. If he accomplished this, I would give him a new contract.

Understand that my goal is for our program to return to dominance. And, it can be done with the right head coach running the show. We just have to determine if Stitt is the right coach. Remember when Alabama went through 3 head coaches (DuBose, Franchione, Shula) after Stallings won their last National Championship in 1996 and retired. USC is going through that process now after Carroll left. In my mind, we are in a similar process. I don't count Pflu, because I think he was on the right track to return us to prominence before his untimely demise. But we have suffered through Delaney, and now Stitt is trying to be the man. Will he be the answer. I will know after this season is over. Will you????

So you don't already know?

Atlanta Griz1 said:

Again?

Atlanta Griz1 said:

The first sentence should read:
It is no secret that, just like when Bobby Hauck was coach, I do not believe that coach Stitt has the right stuff to lead us back to 1) dominating a weak Big Sky Conference again,

As far as I needed to read . . .

I have had posters ask me if I think Stitt should be fired now, or what criteria I would need to be comfortable with keeping him as coach, so I wanted to articulate it to explain why I feel the way I do about him.

After all, we are just like Alabama, USU, and Florida in FBS, we are just one division lower. But we were all on top in the recent past, and slipped from that position. All have rabid fan bases who demand that we field a team capable of competing for a National Championship.

You should agree that the fan bases of those 3 FBS schools having a low tolerance for supporting a head coach who doesn't get it done on the field. Why should we be any different?

Ursa Major said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

It is no secret that, just like when Bobby Hauck was coach, I do not believe that coach Stitt has the right stuff to lead us back to 1) dominating a weak Big Sky Conference again,

Ursa Minus, another dumbed-down participation trophy fan. Uh, Hauck dominated the conference, and played in two NC games. I have stated many times my concern with him, and it had nothing to do with winning.

My only problem with your position on Coach Stitt is that it is ill-timed in my opinion.

If you were laying out your position after 3-4 seasons, and the Griz had gone one-and-done in the playoffs for those seasons - I would understand. But, he has had one season - A season with high-highs (NDSU win), and some low-lows (home loss to Weber). It was a season where he was forced to cycle through QBs. The season was very complex for these reasons and many others that we all know.

I'm giving Stitt the benefit of any doubt right now. I feel good about what he is doing. I'm going to enjoy the ride and not wringing my hands about it....you should try it, it's liberating.

SoldierGriz said:
My only problem with your position on Coach Stitt is that it is ill-timed in my opinion.

If you were laying out your position after 3-4 seasons, and the Griz had gone one-and-done in the playoffs for those seasons - I would understand. But, he has had one season - A season with high-highs (NDSU win), and some low-lows (home loss to Weber). It was a season where he was forced to cycle through QBs. The season was very complex for these reasons and many others that we all know.

I'm giving Stitt the benefit of any doubt right now. I feel good about what he is doing. I'm going to enjoy the ride and not wringing my hands about it....you should try it, it's liberating.

You make a valid point about the QB injuries, but then NDSU had their 2nd round NFL QB injured for several games, and still beat the horse piss out of their opponents. That's why I am willing to give Stitt one more season before I close the book on his abilities to be more than a very average Div. II football coach.

And no, there is no way I am willing to give Stitt 3-4 years to prove his ability.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Ursa Major said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Ursa Minus, another dumbed-down participation trophy fan. Uh, Hauck dominated the conference, and played in two NC games. I have stated many times my concern with him, and it had nothing to do with winning.

Lets face it Growler, this isn't about Stitt. This isn't about Griz football. This is about narcissism and your need for attention. WE ALL know what your positions are (three knuckles deep) because you have posted them several dozen times on several dozen other threads. Your crime isn't being a pathetic narcissist that constantly seeks attention, your crime is being a boring and repetitive pathetic narcissist that constantly seeks attention.

Get some new material and maybe we'll give you attention,

Why would anyone care about your position on Coach Stitt? Are you the secret Athletic Director or something?

Atlanta is nuts. The season hasn't started and he has already decided we will be getting rid of Stitt. Atlanta is a big talker. Now I can see him running out the back door of the Mo Club. Comparing Montana to Alabama, you bet.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Ursa Major said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Hauck took the team to 3 national championship games, 04, 08, 09.

This season determines nothing about Stitt's ability to coach because it is the first season he has all his people in place for his system.

Last year there was more division in the locker room than at anytime in the last 20 years. 2017 will be the year we see what he's made of. He'll have to find a new QB with his system firmly in place.

NDSU (comparing our program to Alabama is unbelievable hubris) has found THE QB for 8 years, and for at least another 4 with Stick it seems. Stitt has not been able to find his Selle, JJ, etc. for his system yet.

Not all the pieces are in place yet, but it's going to be fun to see it come to fruition.

My question to you Atlanta, is do you lead such a boring,shallow life that you can only fill your time, and I mean many hours each and every day, with posting on eGriz?

Certainly lots of hype on Stitt so far. I'm willing to see how this season shakes out. God it would be great to win an outright Big Sky title again. Made difficult by our large conference. So far I am excited about our recruits and our class of 2017. I think he is a great recruiter even if a the scats have gotten a few commits lately.

I didn't love Delaney but understood that he was a band-aid to a wounded program. As a huge fan I am not satisfied with mediocrity or participation trophies. Considering everything that happened and the loss of scholarships I think we weathered the storm ok. Certainly not the dominating team I am accustomed to nor expect.

For now I am high on Stitt and am buying what he is selling. However, Big Sky title this year and a deepish playoff run. Nats within 3 years... Improvement every year... Definitely.

Roaringgriz wanted Hauck fired, Wolfman wanted Hauck fired, AZgriz wanted Hauck fired. He/They called for his firing hundreds of times on this very board. And NOT just because of the "thuggish" behavior (his words, not mine). He/they wanted Hauck fired for mediocre and pedestrian teams. Look at his posting history, it's all laid out for everyone to see on this board. He even said he was going to have the statues he donated taken down because Hauck was a "hack". Now he uses Hauck's DOMINANCE as his entire basis for having Stitt fired after 1.5 years on the job.

#ownedagain

Ursa Major said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Ursa Major said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Lets face it Growler, this isn't about Stitt. This isn't about Griz football. This is about narcissism and your need for attention. WE ALL know what your positions are (three knuckles deep) because you have posted them several dozen times on several dozen other threads. Your crime isn't being a pathetic narcissist that constantly seeks attention, your crime is being a boring and repetitive pathetic narcissist that constantly seeks attention.

Balls on accurate.

grizfan406 said:
Certainly lots of hype on Stitt so far. I'm willing to see how this season shakes out. God it would be great to win an outright Big Sky title again. Made difficult by our large conference. So far I am excited about our recruits and our class of 2017. I think he is a great recruiter even if a the scats have gotten a few commits lately.

I didn't love Delaney but understood that he was a band-aid to a wounded program. As a huge fan I am not satisfied with mediocrity or participation trophies. Considering everything that happened and the loss of scholarships I think we weathered the storm ok. Certainly not the dominating team I am accustomed to nor expect.

For now I am high on Stitt and am buying what he is selling. However, Big Sky title this year and a deepish playoff run. Nats within 3 years... Improvement every year... Definitely.
Good post 406 but i would refer you to the eGriz Rules thread. Under Rule 12 (B), subsection 6, it clearly reads:

Rule 12 (B) 6.: When a poster refers to the Delaney Era, by direct name or reference, s/he will henceforth include at least one, preferably two, nautical analogies in that post

Common Delaney Era nautical phrases include: Righted the ship; Manned the helm; Led us adrift; Fouled the anchor; and, Kept a steady hand on the helm.

Thank you and please make a note of it.

Ursa Major said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Ursa Major said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Here's something new for you. I was in downtown Missoula today, and went 3 knuckles deep as a group of gorgeous chicks walked by. One of them commented on how she loves a man unafraid to express his need to scratch his ass in public. She found it to be a real turn-on, and wished her boyfriend had the nads to do it. She gave me her phone number.

Back