• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Faculty ask for reconsideration of Hauck hire

Did any of them sign/start a petition when the school decided to allow the man (idiot) that drove the school into the ground and canned their fellow professors, to teach at the school?

Didnt hear about one?

It's not bigoted. From gender identity to Engstrom's box. I laid out the facts.....

.....and the truth will prevail.

I will not provide more as those signing said document will make me their next target. All because of their butt-hurt emotional agenda. Go look up their roles, their degrees, their agendas......google is a wonderful tool.

However, due to closer "insights", I speak the truth.

Blow your candles out somewhere else. No bigotry here.

bearister said:
TCCGRIZ said:
bearister said:
RobGriz said:
Are you offended? Offended adults are my happy place.

Not offended, as I am not trans. Amused at the lack of individual candle-power displayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please explain to everyone how this statement is bigoted ! God forbid if we call someone by the wrong gender . I mean what do we call someone who is let's say for example , a middle aged white guy but identifies has a Filipino woman. Now the conundrum ,if we see a middle-aged white guy and call him "sir" but he identifies as a Filipino woman . Does that mean we are bigots ?? Maybe ,just maybe this middle-aged white guy that identifies as a Filipino woman should write on his forehead " I'm look like a middle-aged white guy but identify has a Filipino woman" so do not call me "sir" or I will be offended .
Yes now it's starting to make sense to me now .
I'm so glad you called all of us bigots out so we could clear all this up . You the man , oops or a Filipino woman or I don't know now I'm confused again :oops:

It's bigoted because it's a gratuitous remark about a minority group, apparently offered for no reason other than poking fun at the faculty members on the list. I simply asked the guy to clear up for me what "gender identity" has to do with the rest of his comment. He ducked that question and attacked me instead. As I've pointed out before on this board, personal attacks are the weakest form of argumentation. But, if you can't figure this out, there's probably no point in explaining it to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TCCGRIZ said:
bearister said:
RobGriz said:
bearister said:
“Gender identity issues”? Please connect this bigoted remark.

Not offended, as I am not trans. Amused at the lack of individual candle-power displayed.

Please explain to everyone how this statement is bigoted ! God forbid if we call someone by the wrong gender . I mean what do we call someone who is let's say for example , a middle aged white guy but identifies has a Filipino woman. Now the conundrum ,if we see a middle-aged white guy and call him "sir" but he identifies as a Filipino woman . Does that mean we are bigots ?? Maybe ,just maybe this middle-aged white guy that identifies as a Filipino woman should write on his forehead " I'm look like a middle-aged white guy but identify has a Filipino woman" so do not call me "sir" or I will be offended .
I'm so glad you called all of us bigots out so we could clear all this up . You the man , oops or a Filipino woman or I don't know now I'm confused again :oops:

The only thing I'm offended by in this thread is your grammar and sentence structure... ;)

Sam A. Blitz said:
TCCGRIZ said:
bearister said:
RobGriz said:

The only thing I'm offended by in this thread is your grammar and sentence structure... ;)

Ouch! That one hurt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IdaGriz01 said:
argh! said:
grizpsych said:
I'm pretty sure that UM is a 3:3 course load for tenure/tenure track professors. And, all grant money goes directly to the University. If UM is like other tier 1 schools, the school immediately pockets between 45% and 55% of grant money and uses it to keep undergraduate tuition lower.

Edit: Also, Salary is lower at UM than at SEMO. So, I would guess UM's break even cost is lower too.
that isn't correct about grants, at least not federal, private, or any other kind that i've come across in the last 25 years or so in academia.
Actually, it probably is ... I assume he's talking about the assignment of so-called "indirect costs." Here's a survey made by the journal Nature of indirect costs applied by various institutions to grants from NIH:
http://www.nature.com/news/indirect-costs-keeping-the-lights-on-1.16376
Just a few examples (from 2013):
Boston University: 63.7%, negotiated indirect cost
University of Texas-Austin: 54%
University of Florida: 49%
South Dakota State: 45%
University of Wyoming: 42.5%
Georgetown University: 55%
Yale University: 66%

The writer does concede that -- through some accounting gimmicks -- the actual rate shown on the books is sometimes smaller than these numbers.

Exactly. Thanks for doing the research for me. :thumb:

argh! said:
IdaGriz01 said:
argh! said:
grizpsych said:
I'm pretty sure that UM is a 3:3 course load for tenure/tenure track professors. And, all grant money goes directly to the University. If UM is like other tier 1 schools, the school immediately pockets between 45% and 55% of grant money and uses it to keep undergraduate tuition lower.

Edit: Also, Salary is lower at UM than at SEMO. So, I would guess UM's break even cost is lower too.
that isn't correct about grants, at least not federal, private, or any other kind that i've come across in the last 25 years or so in academia.
Actually, it probably is ... I assume he's talking about the assignment of so-called "indirect costs." Here's a survey made by the journal Nature of indirect costs applied by various institutions to grants from NIH:

The writer does concede that -- through some accounting gimmicks -- the actual rate shown on the books is sometimes smaller than these numbers.

i know all about idc's, as i've generated a lot. they are considered 'extra' money, not part of the grant. i.e. if you get a $500K grant and your institution receives idc's at a 50% of everything rate, the amount received by the institution is $750K, with the grantee getting the $500. also, a couple things about idc's: 1) they are supposed to be used for infrastructure to support the research, although that only happens to a certain extent, 2) they usually fund an office of research and a grants management office 3) some places kick back a good % to the grant p.i. to use for discretionary spending 4) etc etc but to cut to the chase they don't get used to keep tuition low, which was the bigger point i was responding to in my post (although i thought other aspects of what was said were perhaps misleading).

Come on. Where would the universities make up the cost if they did not use part of the grant money to fund operations?

grizpsych said:
IdaGriz01 said:
argh! said:
grizpsych said:

you must be pretty new to being a faculty member, which is fine. i imagine that over time you'll get some grants and learn that i know what i'm talking about when it comes to how the money is distributed. grants do a lot of things for universities, including paying a good portion of salaries (i have paid for over half of mine with grants of many years). also, while some grant money can wind up in student pockets, i.e. when i write a grad student salary and tuition into a grant, that money doesn't keep universities afloat or get used to directly reduce tuition. there are even some grants that give $0 in idc's, i.e. nothing extra to the university. it all depends on the granting institution, with the nih being by far the best for idc's.

seriously, you should talk to your well-funded senior colleagues about how the grant game works. the knowledge really helps when trying to decide your budget.

argh! said:
grizpsych said:
IdaGriz01 said:
argh! said:

you must be pretty new to being a faculty member, which is fine. i imagine that over time you'll get some grants and learn that i know what i'm talking about when it comes to how the money is distributed. grants do a lot of things for universities, including paying a good portion of salaries (i have paid for over half of mine with grants of many years). also, while some grant money can wind up in student pockets, i.e. when i write a grad student salary and tuition into a grant, that money doesn't keep universities afloat or get used to directly reduce tuition. there are even some grants that give $0 in idc's, i.e. nothing extra to the university. it all depends on the granting institution, with the nih being by far the best for idc's.

seriously, you should talk to your well-funded senior colleagues about how the grant game works. the knowledge really helps when trying to decide your budget.

Thanks, I do appreciate the suggestion. But honestly, my research is computer based and I write my own software for it. Thus, other than occasionally paying older adults for their time, I really have no use for outside funding. But again, I guarantee a university would raise tuition if they didn't have IDC money. That was my original point without getting into the particulars.

All the faculty members I have spoken with about Mr. Hauck are pretty happy he is back. They mostly are members of the athletic department.

Latest posts

Back