• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FBS to Form New Subdivision

PlayerRep said:
A few questions and thoughts.
5. College athletics should generally be D-III, except for the big boys. That's the best model for most college sports now.
Right; 263 people in attendance having a lonely Saturday. Perfect model. You get the vote of RE and most of the faculty (before they miss the direct and indirect revenue).

This seams like it wouldn't really be changing anything, except the disparity between the top and bottom conferences...the big guys get bigger...and the smaller guys get smaller. Than teams like NDSU and UM add to the bottom of those conferences like the MWC.

NavyBlue said:
If this is true the division under the power conferences which will consisist of: MWC, C-USA, American, Sun Belt, MAC is essentially the "new FCS". It will be interesting to see what about the top third of current FCS does in the next few years.

Do they step up to the new FCS level, or do they let a new division form in front of them, dropping them one more level from the top level of college football? I hope UM and MSU get this one right.

I agree, Navy. I hope that UM (and MSU) both have a plan to move us into the "new FCS". Luckily, UM has recently released plans and drawings for a new weight room and locker room facility that will be located in the South Endzone. Some have said that the new weight/locker rooms will be as big of a game-changer for the program as WA-Grizzly Stadium was when it was first built. Hopefully this is part of the university's plan to get UM ready for a move to the next level.

The biggest question is, where exactly can Montana move to if the Big 5 break off, and there are three tiers of Division-I football schools? Everyone is glamoring for the Griz to be ready to make the move, but where would they move to? Need a dance partner and the Griz currently don't have one.

Mountain West isn't an option. Sun Belt could be an option, but I bet the Sun Belt would rather get rid of the Vandals all together than add another team far out of its geographic footprint. Montana is in a horrible spot geographically to make a move, something that wasn't the case for Appy State or Georgia Southern. Probably the most viable option is the WAC resurrecting football and adding a bunch of Big Sky/Summit teams.

And for those saying UM should have joined the WAC when it had the chance, the WAC killed football when the Griz would have been making their D1 debut. That would have been a nice cluster.

GrizBacker04 said:
The biggest question is, where exactly can Montana move to if the Big 5 break off, and there are three tiers of Division-I football schools? Everyone is glamoring for the Griz to be ready to make the move, but where would they move to? Need a dance partner and the Griz currently don't have one.

Mountain West isn't an option. Sun Belt could be an option, but I bet the Sun Belt would rather get rid of the Vandals all together than add another team far out of its geographic footprint. Montana is in a horrible spot geographically to make a move, something that wasn't the case for Appy State or Georgia Southern. Probably the most viable option is the WAC resurrecting football and adding a bunch of Big Sky/Summit teams.

And for those saying UM should have joined the WAC when it had the chance, the WAC killed football when the Griz would have been making their D1 debut. That would have been a nice cluster.

Backer, you have some good points. I do THINK that the NCAA has placed a moritorium on new FBS conferences, but the WAC might have something valuable. I am pretty sure that the NCAA grandfathered them as being able to have FBS football in the future again. If you could get enough teams together they could play FBS football under the WAC umbrella. Not saying anyone should do it, just that I think it is a possibility. Which is why I think that Big Sky and WAC should have merged a while back when they had the chance. I know there was some talks, but that that was about it. If they had merged than, I believe the merged conference would own that right from the NCAA to have FBS footbal,l if they desired to and had enough teams to field a conference for FBS football.

get'em_griz said:
NavyBlue said:
If this is true the division under the power conferences which will consisist of: MWC, C-USA, American, Sun Belt, MAC is essentially the "new FCS". It will be interesting to see what about the top third of current FCS does in the next few years.

Do they step up to the new FCS level, or do they let a new division form in front of them, dropping them one more level from the top level of college football? I hope UM and MSU get this one right.

I agree, Navy. I hope that UM (and MSU) both have a plan to move us into the "new FCS". Luckily, UM has recently released plans and drawings for a new weight room and locker room facility that will be located in the South Endzone. Some have said that the new weight/locker rooms will be as big of a game-changer for the program as WA-Grizzly Stadium was when it was first built. Hopefully this is part of the university's plan to get UM ready for a move to the next level.

where is the funding for the locker rooms and weight room coming from? where did the money for the stadium additions come from? is it from bonds or do revenues get set aside for these projects until enough is in place to build?

getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:
NavyBlue said:

where is the funding for the locker rooms and weight room coming from? where did the money for the stadium additions come from? is it from bonds or do revenues get set aside for these projects until enough is in place to build?

The funding for the new locker and weight rooms is being privately funded, mostly from donors.

get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:
NavyBlue said:

The funding for the new locker and weight rooms is being privately funded, mostly from donors.
thanks. how much are they trying to raise?

getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:

Roughly $12 Million. http://www.kpax.com/news/um-athletics-moving-ahead-with-improvements/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:

Roughly $12 Million. http://www.kpax.com/news/um-athletics-moving-ahead-with-improvements/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Early planning stages." Still need to get approval from Regents. "are actively out sharing our plan with donors". "no timetable for the locker room and weight room project". "But if the right donor comes along, things could start moving very quickly."

Rumors they are talking to a major donor prospect. I don't see how a major project like this could be done without one or more very major donors. Semi-big, medium and smaller donors will support the project, but that won't result too many millions and certainly not even half the required costs. Has UM athletics had any donations over a million dollars? I don't recall any, but don't know.

From the linked article:

"Phase 3 is the biggest. A new football locker room and weight room for all athletes. The current proposal, which is still in the early planning stages, would sit at the southwest corner of Washington-Grizzly Stadium, near the Grizzly Pool.

It would connect to the current tunnel running down to the field, and also to the Adams Center. Unlike the other upgrades, UM still needs to raise the money for this roughly $12 million project.

"We've got to get approval from the Board of Regents. We've got to get authority to do that. There's a lot of things that still need to be done. But we certainly are actively out sharing our plan with donors. We're actively out pleading our case saying these are things that we need to get done. And the reception has been great," Haslam said.

Haslam says there is no timetable for the locker room and weight room project. But if the right donor comes along, things could start moving very quickly. All of the funds needed will come through private donations and money generated by the athletic department."

Ursa Major said:
I heard about this from Jesus when he was dying on the cross in 33 A.D. Apparently some of you have not read my contribution to the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Check under Ursadis Majoris.
Judas' friend!

From what I can tell, the Big Five Conferences want to change how they manage their student athletes. I haven't seen anything that talks about changes to the competition format. In fact, the 5 conferences are encouraging the other conferences to make the same changes.

kemajic said:
As the better FCS programs leave to fill out the needs of the depleted FBS, FCS will continue to be watered down to approach the level of DII. There will be no status quo as many desire; step forward to join peers or slip back. Which direction do you want UM to go? I think we know what RE and a sizeable portion of the faculty want.

Damn….you beat me to it. None of my acquaintances believed me when I said that some future date would find us close to Division II. Best stadium in the country though!

mtgrizrule said:
IF RE does not have Montana ready for this, that will be the last straw for me. I will want him gone 100%. This will make him or break him for me.

From 'The Untouchables': "What are you prepared to do?" The BOR hasn't canned his ass, and I haven't read his obituary in the paper. You haven't realized this POS needs to go before now?

PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:

"Early planning stages." Still need to get approval from Regents. "are actively out sharing our plan with donors". "no timetable for the locker room and weight room project". "But if the right donor comes along, things could start moving very quickly."

Rumors they are talking to a major donor prospect. I don't see how a major project like this could be done without one or more very major donors. Semi-big, medium and smaller donors will support the project, but that won't result too many millions and certainly not even half the required costs. Has UM athletics had any donations over a million dollars? I don't recall any, but don't know.

From the linked article:

"Phase 3 is the biggest. A new football locker room and weight room for all athletes. The current proposal, which is still in the early planning stages, would sit at the southwest corner of Washington-Grizzly Stadium, near the Grizzly Pool.

It would connect to the current tunnel running down to the field, and also to the Adams Center. Unlike the other upgrades, UM still needs to raise the money for this roughly $12 million project.

"We've got to get approval from the Board of Regents. We've got to get authority to do that. There's a lot of things that still need to be done. But we certainly are actively out sharing our plan with donors. We're actively out pleading our case saying these are things that we need to get done. And the reception has been great," Haslam said.

Haslam says there is no timetable for the locker room and weight room project. But if the right donor comes along, things could start moving very quickly. All of the funds needed will come through private donations and money generated by the athletic department."

PHASE 3 is code for this will never happen. They'll get the easy stuff done and then find that they don't have the money for Phase 3.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:

From the linked article:

PHASE 3 is code for this will never happen. They'll get the easy stuff done and then find that they don't have the money for Phase 3.

Yep. You guys haven't even hit the "quiet phase" yet. We were well in the the quiet phase of our stadium expansion when a donor stepped up and got it done.

poorgriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:

From the linked article:

Yep. You guys haven't even hit the "quiet phase" yet. We were well in the the quiet phase of our stadium expansion when a donor stepped up and got it done.

Got what done? Do you mean the donor wheeled the new bleachers up so they almost touched the old bleachers?

Latest posts

Back