• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FBS to Form New Subdivision

No way in hell do the Griz make this move, consider this move, prepare for this move, etc.

To get involved with the new subdivision of DI football -- a subdivision that pushes FCS into the third tier --- a university would have to have a leader who can set a goal and quickly meet it, can raise money by the tens of millions, not only for sports but for the kind of school upgrades that show your university really does belong with the bigg(er) boys. A university would need a president that not only embraces the university sport culture, but will defend it against other university departments, as well as state government and the public.
In Montana, that leader is Waded Cruzado.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Ursa Major said:
I heard about this from Jesus when he was dying on the cross in 33 A.D. Apparently some of you have not read my contribution to the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Check under Ursadis Majoris.
Judas' friend!

As long as he's buying I am!

While it would be nice to move up a grade in football it will never happen. We are financially challenged and have been forever. I don't see that changing anytime soon. The state of Montana with its small population struggles to support all of the 4 year schools it currently has. We would need a T Boone or Phil Knight to rain money exclusively on the athletic dept to even think about the next big step up.

Both Montana and NDSU need to be in the second tier of college football. The Wyoming's and Colorado State's are our peer institutions. Both of us have been very successful at whatever level of football we are at. I have no doubt that we would also be successful in the new second tier.

People talk about losing fan support. Seriously? I don't think that are any two other fanbases in the FCS that are better positioned than us to handle a transition. Sure, a 6-5 season would stink, but with the passion and expectations our fans have, the journey to the top of whatever conference we were in would not take too long.

My dream conference would be to have the ND, MT, SD and ID schools all in one conference. Throw in a Boise State, Wyoming or UNI to make it nine and you have a very viable second tier conference with driveable away games.

Is there any talk of what the scholarship levels would be in the new tiers?

Looking forward to our game this fall.

getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:
NavyBlue said:
If this is true the division under the power conferences which will consisist of: MWC, C-USA, American, Sun Belt, MAC is essentially the "new FCS". It will be interesting to see what about the top third of current FCS does in the next few years.

Do they step up to the new FCS level, or do they let a new division form in front of them, dropping them one more level from the top level of college football? I hope UM and MSU get this one right.

I agree, Navy. I hope that UM (and MSU) both have a plan to move us into the "new FCS". Luckily, UM has recently released plans and drawings for a new weight room and locker room facility that will be located in the South Endzone. Some have said that the new weight/locker rooms will be as big of a game-changer for the program as WA-Grizzly Stadium was when it was first built. Hopefully this is part of the university's plan to get UM ready for a move to the next level.

where is the funding for the locker rooms and weight room coming from? where did the money for the stadium additions come from? is it from bonds or do revenues get set aside for these projects until enough is in place to build?

Not trying to be a dick here grizzy, but you have got to be kidding me.

This is what kills me about e-griz. People like you have thousands of posts with strong opinions about the football program, most of which is the tireless “I’m more objective than you BS”. Yet, you are completely naive on a subject like this, which common knowledge to most pedestrian Griz fans.

Unreal.

BisonCardinal said:
Both Montana and NDSU need to be in the second tier of college football. The Wyoming's and Colorado State's are our peer institutions. Both of us have been very successful at whatever level of football we are at. I have no doubt that we would also be successful in the new second tier.

People talk about losing fan support. Seriously? I don't think that are any two other fanbases in the FCS that are better positioned than us to handle a transition. Sure, a 6-5 season would stink, but with the passion and expectations our fans have, the journey to the top of whatever conference we were in would not take too long.

My dream conference would be to have the ND, MT, SD and ID schools all in one conference. Throw in a Boise State, Wyoming or UNI to make it nine and you have a very viable second tier conference with driveable away games.

Is there any talk of what the scholarship levels would be in the new tiers?

Looking forward to our game this fall.
None of these programs are even close to BSU.

I wonder if this Big 5 shift could lead to the institutions in MWC, CUSA, AAC, SBC, MAC deciding to reduces scholarships to a level closer to current FCS? I mean why pay and uphold the same amount of scholarships if you can't go to the Big 5 party? I would think most of the mid majors would welcome that type of cost savings!

So IF this does happen, what do you guys (and gals, I think) believe the conference would like like? Would they play in a playoff scenario, or bowl games?

NLGrizFan said:
So IF this does happen, what do you guys (and gals, I think) believe the conference would like like? Would they play in a playoff scenario, or bowl games?

I honestly think that a playoff format will be coming to all levels. The Big 5 will have their playoff, and then the next level (Former FBS / "New FCS") will do away with bowl games and have a playoff format. Every school at that level should argue for playoffs because now their chances of truly winning a national championship will have increased exponentially. Add to that that teams would get to play for home field advantage through the playoffs to get a few extra games each year, you'd see fans across the country go crazy for the playoffs.

As for what the conference would look like, I have no clue. I would love for the Griz and Cats to be welcomed into the Mountain West Conference, but that probably doesn't happen immediately unless the MWC gets raided.

Here's a possible conference that we could put together if each of these schools are ready for the move.

Eastern Washington (Stadium Expansion Plans to 18k)
Idaho (16,000)
Montana (26,000)
Montana State (19,704)
North Dakota State (19,000)
South Dakota State (Stadium Expansion to 20k in 2016)

I'm not sure who else we could add because nobody from the MWC is going to leave that conference to join this conference.

get'em_griz said:
NLGrizFan said:

I honestly think that a playoff format will be coming to all levels. The Big 5 will have their playoff, and then the next level (Former FBS / "New FCS") will do away with bowl games and have a playoff format. Every school at that level should argue for playoffs because now their chances of truly winning a national championship will have increased exponentially. Add to that that teams would get to play for home field advantage through the playoffs to get a few extra games each year, you'd see fans across the country go crazy for the playoffs.

As for what the conference would look like, I have no clue. I would love for the Griz and Cats to be welcomed into the Mountain West Conference, but that probably doesn't happen immediately unless the MWC gets raided.

Here's a possible conference that we could put together if each of these schools are ready for the move.

Idaho (16,000)
Montana (26,000)
Montana State (19,704)

I'm not sure who else we could add because nobody from the MWC is going to leave that conference to join this conference.
If the MWC gets raided, (I like the way you put that lol) where would those other teams go? And it makes me wonder how the NCAA would decide on playoff worthy teams. Wouldn't that shoot their new SRS down if there were only 6 teams in a conference? I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Montana
Wyoming
Idaho
Montana State
North Dakota State
Cal Poly
Eatern Washington
Utah *Edited. I meant BYU. Not sure why I was thinking Utah.*
Nevada
Boise State

NLGrizFan said:
get'em_griz said:
NLGrizFan said:

Idaho (16,000)
Montana (26,000)
Montana State (19,704)

If the MWC gets raided, (I like the way you put that lol) where would those other teams go? And it makes me wonder how the NCAA would decide on playoff worthy teams. Wouldn't that shoot their new SRS down if there were only 6 teams in a conference? I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Montana
Wyoming
Idaho
Montana State
North Dakota State
Cal Poly
Eatern Washington
Utah
Nevada
Boise State

That would be a great conference, but chances of Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and Boise State leaving the MWC to joining this new conference would be extremely small. Like I said, there would have to be a major shakeup within the MWC for something like that to happen. I really wish it would happen, but it's nice to dream! :thumb:

:sleep: To all of the breast beaters who proclaim they were the first to predict the reshuffling of D-1 - let's be honest. That was about as difficult as stating the sun will rise in the east and set in the west. Even the naysayers clinging to their FCS playoff brackets seem to have come around, with notable exceptions including resident analyst Brint W who couldn't resist resurrecting the long discredited comparison of the Griz with Idaho as the reason for ignoring the future. Borrring! Those who will not recognize change will surely be run over by it...

get'em_griz said:
NLGrizFan said:
get'em_griz said:
NLGrizFan said:

Idaho (16,000)
Montana (26,000)
Montana State (19,704)

Montana
Wyoming
Idaho
Montana State
North Dakota State
Cal Poly
Eatern Washington
Utah
Nevada
Boise State

That would be a great conference, but chances of Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and Boise State leaving the MWC to joining this new conference would be extremely small. Like I said, there would have to be a major shakeup within the MWC for something like that to happen. I really wish it would happen, but it's nice to dream! :thumb:
I'm hoping for more of a move up type of scenario for the FCS teams that enter the conference and the NCAA revises the criteria of move up and playoffs. I wouldn't mind seeing the addition to the South End Zone or the west side built up. I know, i know, I'm dreaming, but, what if? :cool:

Silvertip said:
:sleep: To all of the breast beaters who proclaim they were the first to predict the reshuffling of D-1 - let's be honest. That was about as difficult as stating the sun will rise in the east and set in the west. Even the naysayers clinging to their FCS playoff brackets seem to have come around, with notable exceptions including resident analyst Brint W who couldn't resist resurrecting the long discredited comparison of the Griz with Idaho as the reason for ignoring the future. Borrring! Those who will not recognize change will surely be run over by it...

Come around? What are you talking about? After the ncaa governing body turned down the proposal of some of the bigger conferences/schools, to allow them to loosen and change some of the ncaa rules--those conferences/teams started indicating that they would do what they are now planning to do. This is not earth-shattering. The BCS and BCS Big 5 already exists. Soon they will have some different rules and a different governing body. There will be implications for the lower FBS conferences, as well as for other levels of football. Those aren't yet known.

There is no new category combining the lower level of FBS and upper level of FCS, nor a clear or proposed new opportunity for upper level FCS schools.

Some of you continue to get way ahead of yourselves. Not only the windmill chasers, but others too.

There's plenty of time, and there will be plenty of movement.
A true playoff IS important. Being with peer institutions is also important. If this happens, and if it does, F**K the holier than thou schools that feel the need to go, then it'll be time for UM to move to where it makes sense. Personally, I think the MWC is the best fit and that Montana, WITH appropriate resources, would be successful. And I'm one in the "stay put" crowd who has moved slowly toward the "go where it's appropriate" crowd. UM doesn't play with the Pac-12 and lacks the resources to do that. Why be a doormat with the "big boys" when the school can produce a revenue-generating product that supports a great athletic experience for athletes in football and other sports, as well as being a vital component of the overall experience that UM offers? I love football, but I don't think it benefits UM or the program to move "up" just to move up and then see attendance and success dwindle.
There's time. I don't think this administration will be pro-active in taking steps to be in the "right" place when things settle out, but I hope they do.

Silvertip said:

Spoken like a guy who wasn't the first to predict this. Just sayin'.

PlayerRep said:
Rumors they are talking to a major donor prospect. I don't see how a major project like this could be done without one or more very major donors.

Hey, I've give all I'm going to give. :censored:

CDAGRIZ said:
Silvertip said:

More like Just guess'n...those with functioning memory banks or a penchant for checking the archives know that Ol Tip was waaay out front on this issue (earning more horse thrashing emoticons than deserved). Only modesty kept me from mentioning it before - along with a reluctance to state the obvious...

Silvertip said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Silvertip said:

More like Just guess'n...those with functioning memory banks or a penchant for checking the archives know that Ol Tip was waaay out front on this issue (earning more horse thrashing emoticons than deserved). Only modesty kept me from mentioning it before - along with a reluctance to state the obvious...
:roll: :dead:

Back