• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS msu bobcat mascot comes out of the closet

I don't care what they do. If they want to dress Chump up in a rainbow tutu, more power to them. Where there will be an issue, just you wait, is when some other progressive group has their feelers hurt because they invite Chump to come be a part of their event and MSU passes. Then that group will decide to bitch and moan until they feel heard. Good luck with that mess.

smarsh said:
Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:
Look I don’t care who jumps in bed with who. I just find it hard to believe that a college would sanction this. I bet a million dollars they would not ok champ going to a NRA March

Again. Would msu be ok with their mascot going to a NRA March or right to life March?

They are on a slippery slope by doing this. The mascot is a symbol of the school not a political being.

Maybe the human inside the mascot is gay or whatever. March on your own time not as a symbol of the school

not the same thing. at all.

marching for human rights and inclusion is not the same as marching for or against gun control or abortion. this is only political if you choose it to be. saying that the school shouldn't be supportive of efforts to move towards inclusion of all people is the same as saying the school shouldn't be supportive of efforts to end racism.

Absolutely it is the same. If I want to own a gun, and you don't want me to...and it's a political connotation, then yes it's exactly the same. You're trying to change things so I can't have a gun, and I want one so you're now excluding me. Listen, I don't give 2 craps what you do, who you live with, or date, I just think things this controversial should be avoided...on either side of the political spectrum. Maybe next time he can hang out at the legalize marijuana rally.

HookedonGriz said:
I don't care what they do. If they want to dress Chump up in a rainbow tutu, more power to them. Where there will be an issue, just you wait, is when some other progressive group has their feelers hurt because they invite Chump to come be a part of their event and MSU passes. Then that group will decide to bitch and moan until they feel heard. Good luck with that mess.

THIS is exactly why it's silly to do the political thing. Again, do what you want, but if you're not willing to do this for EVERY group, both sides, trouble brews.

smarsh said:
Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:
Look I don’t care who jumps in bed with who. I just find it hard to believe that a college would sanction this. I bet a million dollars they would not ok champ going to a NRA March

Again. Would msu be ok with their mascot going to a NRA March or right to life March?

They are on a slippery slope by doing this. The mascot is a symbol of the school not a political being.

Maybe the human inside the mascot is gay or whatever. March on your own time not as a symbol of the school

marching for human rights and inclusion is not the same as marching for or against gun control or abortion. this is only political if you choose it to be. saying that the school shouldn't be supportive of efforts to move towards inclusion of all people is the same as saying the school shouldn't be supportive of efforts to end racism.

So what you are saying is it is my Human Right to own a gun and be included like everyone else . Also being a public University they should know better . Your argument (" this is only political if you choose it to be.")
got thrown out the window because it is a public University .
I agree with Payton on this, everything else is SJW crap .

signedbewildered said:
SACCAT66 said:
Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:

Again. Would msu be ok with their mascot going to a NRA March or right to live March.

I see what you are saying, MSU turned down a lot of money from Gianforte to build a new building because of the backlash from groups like the LGBT. Maybe this is a show of solidarity after that?...

I guess I didn't realize they had turned down that money. Not sure how I missed that news.

I assume you never heard this or saw this, because it's not accurate to my knowledge. The Gianfortes made a major donation to MSU for its Computer Science program. $8 million. The program will be named after them. I sure didn't see that this got turned down, altho a few people protested.

PlayerRep said:
signedbewildered said:
SACCAT66 said:
Paytonlives said:
Again. Would msu be ok with their mascot going to a NRA March or right to live March.

I see what you are saying, MSU turned down a lot of money from Gianforte to build a new building because of the backlash from groups like the LGBT. Maybe this is a show of solidarity after that?...

I guess I didn't realize they had turned down that money. Not sure how I missed that news.

I assume you never heard this or saw this, because it's not accurate to my knowledge. The Gianfortes made a major donation to MSU for its Computer Science program. $8 million. The program will be named after them. I sure didn't see that this got turned down, altho a few people protested.

Hence why I said that I could be wrong...and it looks like I was.

No worries. It happens. I do remember a little backlash but figured it would have been big news had they turned down that amount of money.

I had to double check.

Cheers

smarsh said:
Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:

Bigskypride who hosted the event calls themselves a political entity. Not my words theirs.

I have never thought that it is possible to Thread the needle of this is appropriate and that is not.

So in inclusion should UM embrace the KKK. Or maybe manboylove groups?
Don’t they have the right of inclusion?

BTW. I’ll say it again. I don’t care who has sex with who. I just don’t think it’s proper for a mascot that represents the WHOLE university should be picking sides in a political field.

Looks like MSU is doing more than a few things right since their estimated fall 2018 enrollment is estimated to be over 16K while UM is estimated to be just under 12K, an ever widening gap. Then there was the article in the Lee papers this morning on the Cats football players working for Habitat for Humanity in Poland. We could use more stories like that. Nothing wrong with supporting people who may turn around and enroll, thus supporting you.

sdk.catfish said:
Looks like MSU is doing more than a few things right since their estimated fall 2018 enrollment is estimated to be over 16K while UM is estimated to be just under 12K, an ever widening gap. Then there was the article in the Lee papers this morning on the Cats football players working for Habitat for Humanity in Poland. We could use more stories like that. Nothing wrong with supporting people who may turn around and enroll, thus supporting you.

You make my point. The cats traveling to Poland was an awesome thing. But there is a huge difference. They did it in the offseason on their own time and they were not doing something that a large portion of the population disagrees with.

Again. Support whatever you want on your own time not dressed in something that represents the university

garizzalies said:
Can you imagine if the gay parade happened to fall on Easter?
Payton’s head would explode

Well they did do it on Father’s Day but I guess that was just a coincidence....

Meh--Doesn't seem like this is much of a marketing risk in 2018. It's the law of the land. A good marketing strategy for a university is to go where the young people go. They did and got their name out there.

President-George-W.-Bush-Mission-Accomplished.jpg

Paytonlives said:
sdk.catfish said:

You make my point. The cats traveling to Poland was an awesome thing. But there is a huge difference. They did it in the offseason on their own time and they were not doing something that a large portion of the population disagrees with.

Again. Support whatever you want on your own time not dressed in something that represents the university

Not sure what you mean by large portion of the population, but Gallup says it’s 75%-23% currently in favor of lgbtq rights. It’s hard to find anything in America that you get 75% agreement on.

Ursa Major said:
Meh--Doesn't seem like this is much of a marketing risk in 2018. It's the law of the land. A good marketing strategy for a university is to go where the young people go. They did and got their name out there.

+1. I don’t believe the mascot was there without the knowledge & express consent of the state ag administration.

AZDoc said:
smarsh said:
Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:

Absolutely it is the same. If I want to own a gun, and you don't want me to...and it's a political connotation, then yes it's exactly the same. You're trying to change things so I can't have a gun, and I want one so you're now excluding me. Listen, I don't give 2 craps what you do, who you live with, or date, I just think things this controversial should be avoided...on either side of the political spectrum. Maybe next time he can hang out at the legalize marijuana rally.

Or what if Champ or Monty attend an anti-meth rally? Acceptable or no?

AZDoc said:
I'm with Payton on this one. It doesn't do any good to get in the middle of heated political things at this point. When you say it's the group we are trying to recruit, you mean LGBT (so 4% of the population) or just those that sympathize with the groups? I think any time you get into political debates like this, only crap can happen. Certainly same with NRA rally, abortion clinic protest, pro life rally, etc. I love that the mascot is out promoting...think that's great, and wish the University would do more so there were less bobcat sightings. I just think this is a slippery slope to avoid, whatever your views are on this or any politicized subject. Could you imagine Monte in Texas supporting the "Build the Wall" group? or Kneeling during the Anthem? I think neither one of those things would be appropriate, again, no matter your stance. Mascots are mascots of an entire university and should not be sanctioned at controversial/political events.

im in total agreement with payton and azdoc on this.....i believe there are many others who feel the same way but do not want to be labeled politically incorrect....

bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:

+1. I don’t believe the mascot was there without the knowledge & express consent of the state ag administration.

You're probably right, Big Dog. When Monte took part in the Selma marches in '65, he had the full backing of UM President Robert Johns.

Paytonlives said:
Paytonlives said:

Relax!

Ursa Major said:
bgbigdog said:
Ursa Major said:

You're probably right, Big Dog. When Monte took part in the Selma marches in '65, he had the full backing of UM President Robert Johns.

I’m told it was the reason he bolted UM for Sac State. You were right the first time.

Back