• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS msu bobcat mascot comes out of the closet

poorgriz said:
AZDoc said:
smarsh said:
Paytonlives said:
Again. Would msu be ok with their mascot going to a NRA March or right to life March?

They are on a slippery slope by doing this. The mascot is a symbol of the school not a political being.

Maybe the human inside the mascot is gay or whatever. March on your own time not as a symbol of the school

not the same thing. at all.

marching for human rights and inclusion is not the same as marching for or against gun control or abortion. this is only political if you choose it to be. saying that the school shouldn't be supportive of efforts to move towards inclusion of all people is the same as saying the school shouldn't be supportive of efforts to end racism.

Absolutely it is the same. If I want to own a gun, and you don't want me to...and it's a political connotation, then yes it's exactly the same. You're trying to change things so I can't have a gun, and I want one so you're now excluding me. Listen, I don't give 2 craps what you do, who you live with, or date, I just think things this controversial should be avoided...on either side of the political spectrum. Maybe next time he can hang out at the legalize marijuana rally.

Or what if Champ or Monty attend an anti-meth rally? Acceptable or no?

Drugs are illegal...there is no political stance on it. So yes, good for the school for the mascots to do those type of community well being services. You can also insert an EWU joke here if interested.

statler & waldorf said:
Politicizing a school mascot is stupidity. MSU will regret this.

I'll bet you're right. Regret will come at the end of August, it's getting difficult to find housing for that many students a Meow State.

statler & waldorf said:
Politicizing a school mascot is stupidity. MSU will regret this.
Or they’ll connect with the young generations of this country that don’t feel like gay rights are a political issue and further increase their enrollment lead.

HookedonGriz said:
I don't care what they do. If they want to dress Chump up in a rainbow tutu, more power to them. Where there will be an issue, just you wait, is when some other progressive group has their feelers hurt because they invite Chump to come be a part of their event and MSU passes. Then that group will decide to bitch and moan until they feel heard. Good luck with that mess.

BINGO!

Paytonlives said:
HookedonGriz said:
I don't care what they do. If they want to dress Chump up in a rainbow tutu, more power to them. Where there will be an issue, just you wait, is when some other progressive group has their feelers hurt because they invite Chump to come be a part of their event and MSU passes. Then that group will decide to bitch and moan until they feel heard. Good luck with that mess.

BINGO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQQHj8ZJ5lk

AZDoc said:
poorgriz said:
AZDoc said:
smarsh said:
not the same thing. at all.

marching for human rights and inclusion is not the same as marching for or against gun control or abortion. this is only political if you choose it to be. saying that the school shouldn't be supportive of efforts to move towards inclusion of all people is the same as saying the school shouldn't be supportive of efforts to end racism.

Absolutely it is the same. If I want to own a gun, and you don't want me to...and it's a political connotation, then yes it's exactly the same. You're trying to change things so I can't have a gun, and I want one so you're now excluding me. Listen, I don't give 2 craps what you do, who you live with, or date, I just think things this controversial should be avoided...on either side of the political spectrum. Maybe next time he can hang out at the legalize marijuana rally.

Drugs are illegal...there is no political stance on it. So yes, good for the school for the mascots to do those type of community well being services. You can also insert an EWU joke here if interested.

LGBT support is not a political stance. It’s supporting the rights of all humans no matter what their sexual preference is. There is not political issue here it’s a human rights issue. If you seriously have a problem supporting equal rights you should probably realize it’s 2018 and go pound sand

AZDoc said:
I'm with Payton on this one. It doesn't do any good to get in the middle of heated political things at this point. When you say it's the group we are trying to recruit, you mean LGBT (so 4% of the population) or just those that sympathize with the groups? I think any time you get into political debates like this, only crap can happen. Certainly same with NRA rally, abortion clinic protest, pro life rally, etc. I love that the mascot is out promoting...think that's great, and wish the University would do more so there were less bobcat sightings. I just think this is a slippery slope to avoid, whatever your views are on this or any politicized subject. Could you imagine Monte in Texas supporting the "Build the Wall" group? or Kneeling during the Anthem? I think neither one of those things would be appropriate, again, no matter your stance. Mascots are mascots of an entire university and should not be sanctioned at controversial/political events.

I didnt say LGBT was the group were trying to recruit, I said the generation that generally sides with LGBT rights over NRA rights are the people were trying to recruit.

AKA younger, college aged kids, nowadays are in general pro gay rights, and leaning more towards pro gun regulation.

Champ celebrating love and equality for all. I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtgrizfankb said:
AZDoc said:
poorgriz said:
AZDoc said:

LGBT support is not a political stance. It’s supporting the rights of all humans no matter what their sexual preference is. There is not political issue here it’s a human rights issue. If you seriously have a problem supporting equal rights you should probably realize it’s 2018 and go pound sand
This..... Why are people making this out to be a political issue?

Possibly this forum could nominate both Champ and Payton for Queer Eye makeovers. I know for a fact that Champ's tutu wouldn't cut it. I'm not sure if Payton's would make the grade with the guys or not.

wbtfg said:
Champ celebrating love and equality for all. I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damnit I hate agreeing with a cat fan. Good for MSU to send their mascot to the parade, I wish Monte would've gone too (or did he?)

mtgrizfankb said:
AZDoc said:
poorgriz said:
AZDoc said:

Didn’t say it was...but it IS politicized, thus controversial for a large portion of people in the country. As a tax payer supported institution, If you show support for political/controversial things, you piss people off. That’s my whole point.
I don’t care if you smoke poles on the weekend dude, it’s not the actual pride/human rights thing that’s the issue...it’s staying out of things like this when it can stir up issues down the road. What if MSUs biggest donor is anti lgbt? These are the reprocussions people don’t think about. Again, the cause is 1 thing, and supporting it is great, it’s just a slippery slope when universities start doing it

AZDoc is right. Politicized/controversial issues piss people off, polarize them. Legislature is about 7 months away. Way to go MSU, try for consensus to increase your funding. Might just as well politicize football or any other sport. Guaranteed backlash. Sports mascots have one function, drumming up fans for the schools sport team, not endorsing political/cultural causes.

AZDoc said:
mtgrizfankb said:
AZDoc said:
poorgriz said:

Didn’t say it was...but it IS politicized, thus controversial for a large portion of people in the country. As a tax payer supported institution, If you show support for political/controversial things, you piss people off. That’s my whole point.
I don’t care if you smoke poles on the weekend dude, it’s not the actual pride/human rights thing that’s the issue...it’s staying out of things like this when it can stir up issues down the road. What if MSUs biggest donor is anti lgbt? These are the reprocussions people don’t think about. Again, the cause is 1 thing, and supporting it is great, it’s just a slippery slope when universities start doing it

So was the Civil Rights Movement.

This country needs to get back to doing what is right and just and moral, and begin to move far, far away from worrying about whether taking such action might anger a few voters.

Back