• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fire Mick D.

EverettGriz said:
havgrizfan said:
Yellowstone, you should know by now that Egriz is the haven for "I DESERVE MY CAKE AND EAT IT TOO" LOL. What some posters want is the Griz to go 9-3 now, get to the semifinals or better and STILL have Mick Delaney burned at the stake in front of main hall on the final day of classes before winter break. THAT scenario is THE ONLY scenario that would satisfy a select group of posters on here.

Kinda sad, but also spot on.

Why don't you two hacks get a room......

EverettGriz said:
havgrizfan said:
Yellowstone, you should know by now that Egriz is the haven for "I DESERVE MY CAKE AND EAT IT TOO" LOL. What some posters want is the Griz to go 9-3 now, get to the semifinals or better and STILL have Mick Delaney burned at the stake in front of main hall on the final day of classes before winter break. THAT scenario is THE ONLY scenario that would satisfy a select group of posters on here.

Kinda sad, but also spot on.

Do you really think they would?

Can we remove this thread? It does absolutely nothing good for Griz Football.
Should the season not go our way, there will be plenty of time post Thanksgiving to discuss it.
For now, I choose to discuss Griz football expecting the best of our team and program.
If you expect less, become a cat fan.
Go Griz!

umfootball said:
I don't understand why we didn't throw it into the end zone at the end of the half vs Cal Poly. Even with 7 sec to go, you can run a pass play with timeouts remaining for a shot at a FG. Continued bad decision making.

This is a legitimate post. Also, the Griz attempted the field goal from the far left hash mark and it was not a short kick. They could at least have moved the ball toward the middle of the field to give the kicker a better angle. They had a time out and 7 seconds is enough time to run another play. A pass into the end zone was another option. But the Griz were clearly out played and it would not have made any difference.

I do not believe Mick should be fired. I believe he has done all he can for this program and it is time to just retire. Him and almost all of his coaches should find another job after the season. I like Justin Green as a coach to remain. His recruiting has been fantastic!

GottaluvGriz said:
Should the season not go our way, there will be plenty of time post Thanksgiving to discuss it.
For now, I choose to discuss Griz football expecting the best of our team and program.
Go Griz!

This..

Go Griz!

I expect MD will retire this fall after the season, if for no other reason than his retirement level is set at the head coaches' level.

I recall when Mick was hired I checked his record and saw what he did to the program as HC at UM Western. After 2 years of worsening performance they had seen enough. For the next 30 years he does not get another head coaching job--either he or schools looking at him knew he was not head coaching material.

This hire was solely to bring calm to chaos, it was never a hire of who could best coach the team or produce wins. A panic hire to be sure, due to over blown hysteria by Missoula's local media. These athletes' championship aspirations were sold out by the administration's desire to take the heat of scrutiny off the school. That was accomplished but the players were sacrificed. What Griz fans became accustomed to was the teams playing better than their individual talent levels. The disenchantment of the last 3 years is that the Griz, as a rule, have not played to their potential. Exactly what happened at UM Western during MD's reign at the helm.

MD needs to retire, and he knows he needs to retire. Engstrom or Haslam will never fire him: they don't need to. I believe the decision to retire has already been made, including who will be elevated from this staff to take his place.

I disagree with the people that think MD was the correct choice for the program. The problem children were gone through graduation or loss of eligibility. The program was in chaos because of the mishandling of dismissals, incompetent legal advise and mishandling of assault complaints. The administration allowed themselves to be controlled by the media, and the program needed strong leadership. Instead they bring in an individual with a track record of incompetence. Instead of the program having a take-charge, no nonsense leader, they got an individual who has succeeded in reducing a once proud program to one lacking in originality.

Cal Poly has done nothing different in the last three years yet we appeared to be totally unprepared for their scheme. Last year Sac State hammered us and we escaped with a lucky win. We will face the same basic personnel this week. Will we be at all prepared?

I'm afraid the Griz will continue to crash until new, strong leadership is in place. MD should do the honorable thing and announce his retirement after the season ends. Engstrom should be involved right now in a nationwide search for a competent replacement. I don't want to see the promotion of one of the existing coaches. We need fresh leadership if we ever want to return the program to one in which potential recruits will choose UM over other schools.

I don't get this thread. Mick D. was fired as the head coach of the men's basketball team at MSU. He now coaches in AK. Why do you guys care who the basketball coach of an Alaskan college is?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

horribilisfan8184 said:
I expect MD will retire this fall after the season, if for no other reason than his retirement level is set at the head coaches' level.

I recall when Mick was hired I checked his record and saw what he did to the program as HC at UM Western. After 2 years of worsening performance they had seen enough. For the next 30 years he does not get another head coaching job--either he or schools looking at him knew he was not head coaching material.

This hire was solely to bring calm to chaos, it was never a hire of who could best coach the team or produce wins. A panic hire to be sure, due to over blown hysteria by Missoula's local media. These athletes' championship aspirations were sold out by the administration's desire to take the heat of scrutiny off the school. That was accomplished but the players were sacrificed. What Griz fans became accustomed to was the teams playing better than their individual talent levels. The disenchantment of the last 3 years is that the Griz, as a rule, have not played to their potential. Exactly what happened at UM Western during MD's reign at the helm.

MD needs to retire, and he knows he needs to retire. Engstrom or Haslam will never fire him: they don't need to. I believe the decision to retire has already been made, including who will be elevated from this staff to take his place.

Jesus that has to be a terrifying thought for griz nation. Frickin do a full blown national search and hire the absolute best candidate period. If someone within happens to rise to the top during the lengthy interview process, so be it. When we did that we had two, potentially three coaches that would have kicked ass for us. (And yes, I do consider Ash in that group.)

GottaluvGriz said:
Go Griz!
+1

Back