• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fire Mick D.

Every person on this board, regardless of whether they've ever played a down of football, knows that you can't run the football consistently without a strong OLine. Is it Mick's fault the line has been decimated by injuries and ineligibility? No. It is his fault that the team did not start adjusting the game plan a long time ago to run an offense that does not emphasize the weakest personnel group on the team.

bearister said:
Every person on this board, regardless of whether they've ever played a down of football, knows that you can't run the football consistently without a strong OLine. Is it Mick's fault the line has been decimated by injuries and ineligibility? No. It is his fault that the team did not start adjusting the game plan a long time ago to run an offense that does not emphasize the weakest personnel group on the team.

Since when does common sense thinking prevail on egriz, especially when it is regarding our untouchable coaching staff?

before any of you call for the coaches head why not ask any of your defensive linemen or linebackers who gave up 427 rushing yards yesterday if that was a coaches problem.

ranco said:
If we assume MD is gone after this season, which part of the staff should stay?
Gregorak is probably safe for now. Its getting harder and harder to justify keeping Gragg and Hynson after this season.

ranco said:

Justin Green- he has done a great job as recruiting coordinator and RB coach.
Lawrence Suiaunoa- DL has been consistent and has not struggled often, usually very reliable.
Ross Brunelle- He is pretty intense, smart, and very young. I like his potential, but not sure if Special teams is where he belongs. I know our special teams have been inconsistent, but I think that is more due to no 1 coach being a good fit for that job, and Delaney limiting the importance of that unit.

To be honest, I'm alright with most the position coaches. My main problem is with the OC's.

mtgrizrule said:
ranco said:

Lawrence Suiaunoa- DL has been consistent and has not struggled often, usually very reliable.
Ross Brunelle- He is pretty intense, smart, and very young. I like his potential, but not sure if Special teams is where he belongs. I know our special teams have been inconsistent, but I think that is more due to no 1 coach being a good fit for that job, and Delaney limiting the importance of that unit.

To be honest, I'm alright with most the position coaches. My main problem is with the OC's.

True. Justin and Legi are nails IMO. I'd even consider Legi for DC.

mtgrizrule said:
ranco said:

Wouldn't a new HC have mostly his own assistants? What am I missing?

What's the big deal about firing MD, after all he is doing exactly what he was brought out of retirement for, to clean up and keep the program out of the Missoulian, not to win football games. That would have been an added benefit.

The question is why his contract was extended after his year of keeping the program in check,was still more need to be done?

His creditials did not merit the head job, arguably at the showcase of FCS football.

Time has proved, again arguably, that the program is not keeping pace with its mondern day history, and again arguably in decline.

no shit.....if so many want MD gone then they should actually welcome these losses, it will only help bring on a new hire right ????

Yellowstone, you should know by now that Egriz is the haven for "I DESERVE MY CAKE AND EAT IT TOO" LOL. What some posters want is the Griz to go 9-3 now, get to the semifinals or better and STILL have Mick Delaney burned at the stake in front of main hall on the final day of classes before winter break. THAT scenario is THE ONLY scenario that would satisfy a select group of posters on here.

I would hope Delaney would realize his job is complete as far as cleaning up a program in chaos due to RE's decisions and to bring about stability. That being said he should graciously retire for good this time at the end of this season and assist in finding a younger more aggressive coach for the Griz. If he continues on I would have to question his motives.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
I would hope Delaney would realize his job is complete as far as cleaning up a program in chaos due to RE's decisions and to bring about stability. That being said he should graciously retire for good this time at the end of this season and assist in finding a younger more aggressive coach for the Griz. If he continues on I would have to question his motives.

Wow. That's a big statement. What would his motives be if he continues coaching? :coffee:

Blgs Griz Fan said:

What does age have to do with anything, I would look at and consider ability, and give age no credence at all.

Something people are forgetting: Brown ran for 226 yards, over half the total yardage Cal Poly gained. You would have thought after he pulled off a couple of long runs, the D would have been more attentive to him. One of the announcers (Brady?) mentioned that there should be one player shadowing Brown. The lack became more apparent as the game went on. That could be coaching.

As others have mentioned, Cal Poly executed better, reminiscent of NDSU's performance. It played with more desire. The D, esp., was quick, fast, and, well, powerful. In short, the Griz were soundly beaten by a better team. The Griz have deeper problems than just the play-calling.

Mick Delaney is a horrible football coach. Back in the 60s maybe he could've held his own but these days he is about as useless (and looks like) a bag of potatoes. A staple of Delaney coached team is NO, ZERO, ZILCH in game adjustments and a predictabillity in playcalling that dooms the team and innocent student-athletes. The only reason he was hired was the program was under a state of investigation and the one thing u want in a coach at such a time is someone who has absolutely no intimidation factor, and someone who is good enough to not look like you're throwing the games, but you don't win anything at all. Addressing the statement that JJ or any player for that matter would, "run thru a brick wall" for Mick Delaney? Simply preposterous. It's why u see quality players fleeing the program and recruiting classes that look like the roll call of a NAIA synchronized swimming team. NFL Draft analysts the last few years have described UM prospects as: "poorly coached," "mismanaged talent," and "extremely raw due to program turmoil." Very sad. I've got news for the imbecile Haslam and the senile, high school team manager quality Mick "Dumbass" Delaney. This program is past the NCAA investigation, we can proceed back to trying from the TOP-down.

BCFan007 said:
Mick Delaney is a horrible football coach. Back in the 60s maybe he could've held his own but these days he is about as useless (and looks like) a bag of potatoes. A staple of Delaney coached team is NO, ZERO, ZILCH in game adjustments and a predictabillity in playcalling that dooms the team and innocent student-athletes. The only reason he was hired was the program was under a state of investigation and the one thing u want in a coach at such a time is someone who has absolutely no intimidation factor, and someone who is good enough to not look like you're throwing the games, but you don't win anything at all. Addressing the statement that JJ or any player for that matter would, "run thru a brick wall" for Mick Delaney? Simply preposterous. It's why u see quality players fleeing the program and recruiting classes that look like the roll call of a NAIA synchronized swimming team. NFL Draft analysts the last few years have described UM prospects as: "poorly coached," "mismanaged talent," and "extremely raw due to program turmoil." Very sad. I've got news for the imbecile Haslam and the senile, high school team manager quality Mick "Dumbass" Delaney. This program is past the NCAA investigation, we can proceed back to trying from the TOP-down.

Growler, is that you?

Griz-O-Matic said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

Wow. That's a big statement. What would his motives be if he continues coaching? :coffee:

That is a good question. It really depends on what Delaney sees as his reason for being hired in the first place. I always viewed it as being a quick fit for a mess caused by the release of Pflu and O Day. He has done an admirable job with that and we owe him our thanks and respect for that.
I did not see it as a long term coaching commitment to continue to grow the program. If my memory serves me correctly he was listed as interim coach at the time he was hired. I suspect there have been recruits that have looked at his age and his coaching record and gave a second thought to committing to the Griz.
He took the contract extension because he was enjoying what he was doing and things were going pretty well.
It may not be appropriate to consider age but it does come into play. Mick Delaney seems to be set on an offense from the past and he does not seem to be flexible enough to recognize it is not doing well and it is time to adjust.
Another question to consider would be, is the future of the Griz football program best left in the hands of Mick Delaney?

havgrizfan said:
Yellowstone, you should know by now that Egriz is the haven for "I DESERVE MY CAKE AND EAT IT TOO" LOL. What some posters want is the Griz to go 9-3 now, get to the semifinals or better and STILL have Mick Delaney burned at the stake in front of main hall on the final day of classes before winter break. THAT scenario is THE ONLY scenario that would satisfy a select group of posters on here.

Tokyo, is that you? :lol: :lol:

Back