• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

First Time Since 2002

jodcon said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
bgbigdog said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Remember when Hauck ran the "Fake Punt Offense?" Every play was a fake punt, right? I'm glad that didn't catch on.

Riverboat Bobby @ his best. I'm also fond of the "Don't throw it to Mariani" second half of the NC. Why wear the guy out when all he did was own Nova's asses the whole first half.

You will never convince eGriz that wasnt the proper way to use Mariani.

Wouldnt want him getting hurt from running too many plays. You should always limit your best players in ways to save them from getting tired, injuries or for their NFL career.

:coffee:

Light years ago when I was a kid every RB carried 20+ times and every WR played every down, now they play half the snaps and are hurt all the time, anybody have ideas why? I'm sure the fact that the defensive side of the ball has gotten much bigger and faster in the last 40 years is a big factor, but really when I see a stud RB with 8 carries in a game I have to think WTF?

Probably, makes sense the defensive players have gotten bigger but the offensive players stayed the same or got smaller.

BTW that stud RB shouldnt get more than 5 carries a game, you gotta save him.

jodcon said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
bgbigdog said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Remember when Hauck ran the "Fake Punt Offense?" Every play was a fake punt, right? I'm glad that didn't catch on.

Riverboat Bobby @ his best. I'm also fond of the "Don't throw it to Mariani" second half of the NC. Why wear the guy out when all he did was own Nova's asses the whole first half.

Wouldnt want him getting hurt from running too many plays. You should always limit your best players in ways to save them from getting tired, injuries or for their NFL career.

Light years ago when I was a kid every RB carried 20+ times and every WR played every down, now they play half the snaps and are hurt all the time, anybody have ideas why? I'm sure the fact that the defensive side of the ball has gotten much bigger and faster in the last 40 years is a big factor, but really when I see a stud RB with 8 carries in a game I have to think WTF?

If the kids play travel baseball, basketball, and/or wrestle their bodies take a lot more wear and tear. Granted, travel clubs are terrific for the competition and repetition. I feel parents and coaches need to better monitor how often the kids play competitively? I know when I was a kid, if there was a game to play I would be playing. I would have played more if there were travel teams then too. Leg and arm injuries are way too common these days. Kids that play a lot of travel baseball and pitch will likely have elbow and shoulder related problems. Kids that play a lot of travel basketball often have knee, hamstring, and ankle problems. I really don't if club wrestling contributes to additional injuries and/or wear and tear.

I don't fault a kid or parents for wanting to have live action and games. I do feel it is easier to reduce risk of injury by reducing the number of sports a kid plays in the off season. My buddy had thought for this for awhile now. His kids loved baseball. He agreed to let them play as much organized and travel baseball as they wanted with one condition. His boys did not pitch until 13 years of age, then after that not pitch more than 10 innings per week combing travel ball with organized leagues. He and his wife tightly monitored and enforced it too.

All 3 of their boys made it through without any major arm injuries. Meanwhile, their teammates were not monitored, and the other pitchers had more injuries. I also know of parents limiting their kids in basketball, the kids who were more tightly monitored in number of games and taking some time off had less knee and ankle injuries.

Regardless of sport, I feel these kids have so much more wear and tear on their bodies by the time they get to college. I consider a kid very fortunate these days to not have any major injuries.

I think limiting them causes injuries in all sports.

The same with pitch counts, we never had near as many arm injuries as we have now that "DRs" are setting limits.

ESPN's Tim Kurkjian noted back in 2009 that more pitchers were on the disabled list than ever before. He also noted the paradox at work: "The less they throw, the more often they get hurt."

I dont buy the bigger stronger player BS that is just another excuse, the more you play and the harder you hit the more UNLIKELY you are to get injured.

Now back to your tea party................

putter said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
bgbigdog said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I guess he figured one Sports Center catch per game was enough !

Wrong game. The sportscenter catch was against Richmond in the previous NC game.

mtgrizrule said:
jodcon said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
bgbigdog said:

If the kids play travel baseball, basketball, and/or wrestle their bodies take a lot more wear and tear. Granted, travel clubs are terrific for the competition and repetition. I feel parents and coaches need to better monitor how often the kids play competitively? I know when I was a kid, if there was a game to play I would be playing. I would have played more if there were travel teams then too. Leg and arm injuries are way too common these days. Kids that play a lot of travel baseball and pitch will likely have elbow and shoulder related problems. Kids that play a lot of travel basketball often have knee, hamstring, and ankle problems. I really don't if club wrestling contributes to additional injuries and/or wear and tear.

I don't fault a kid or parents for wanting to have live action and games. I do feel it is easier to reduce risk of injury by reducing the number of sports a kid plays in the off season. My buddy had thought for this for awhile now. His kids loved baseball. He agreed to let them play as much organized and travel baseball as they wanted with one condition. His boys did not pitch until 13 years of age, then after that not pitch more than 10 innings per week combing travel ball with organized leagues. He and his wife tightly monitored and enforced it too.

All 3 of their boys made it through without any major arm injuries. Meanwhile, their teammates were not monitored, and the other pitchers had more injuries. I also know of parents limiting their kids in basketball, the kids who were more tightly monitored in number of games and taking some time off had less knee and ankle injuries.

Regardless of sport, I feel these kids have so much more wear and tear on their bodies by the time they get to college. I consider a kid very fortunate these days to not have any major injuries.

Good post. Many now feel that too much specialization leads to injuries. Especially in baseball. In the good ole days, most athletes played three sports or more. If you were a baseball player, you likely didn't pick up a baseball until after basketball season. As result, your arm was fresh. Year round baseball is ridiculous. I was watching ESPN's Baseball Tonight last season and to a man, all of the commentators agreed that young baseball players should participate in other sports. It makes you a better overall athlete because you're working different muscle groups. In addition, the baseball player isn't burned out come baseball season. Travel ball is a money making enterprise. Other than a few elite players, most travel
ballers would be better served saving their money and participating in additional offseason sports. Remember, Jackie Robinson's 4th best sport was baseball...,,,,

Excited for Spring ball. Hope Stitt opens up practice to the public. Public being all 10 of us who would stop by from time to time.

CV Griz Fan said:
mtgrizrule said:
jodcon said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Good post. Many now feel that too much specialization leads to injuries. Especially in baseball. In the good ole days, most athletes played three sports or more. If you were a baseball player, you likely didn't pick up a baseball until after basketball season. As result, your arm was fresh. Year round baseball is ridiculous. I was watching ESPN's Baseball Tonight last season and to a man, all of the commentators agreed that young baseball players should participate in other sports. It makes you a better overall athlete because you're working different muscle groups. In addition, the baseball player isn't burned out come baseball season. Travel ball is a money making enterprise. Other than a few elite players, most travel
ballers would be better served saving their money and participating in additional offseason sports. Remember, Jackie Robinson's 4th best sport was baseball...,,,,

CV, you put it much better than I did. :thumb:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
jodcon said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
bgbigdog said:

Probably, makes sense the defensive players have gotten bigger but the offensive players stayed the same or got smaller.

That player should not even see the field. Keep him on the second string with the rest of your best players.
Coach ron ash

Ursa Major said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
jodcon said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

That player should not even see the field. Keep him on the second string with the rest of your best players.
Coach ron ash

It's a known fact... Our backups are better than our starters

They just don't know HOW to play yet.

:CatEnvy:

LongTimeCatFan said:
Ursa Major said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
jodcon said:

Coach ron ash

It's a known fact... Our backups are better than our starters

They just don't know HOW to play yet.

:CatEnvy:

Am wondering if it isn't more along the lines of "If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way." Just sayin.

Interesting thread and comments from a non athlete and high school benchwarmer at CMR.
Thanks for the info PR. It's all clear now!!!

Hey... AG1 played 3 positions all at the same time.

End, Guard,and tackle

End of the bench, guard of the water, and tackle anybody who comes near

He was a stud

LongTimeCatFan said:

End, Guard,and tackle

He was a stud
Really? I thought he was Left Out.

I'm so fired up for this season and to see what Coach Stitt will to Griz football!! For those who remember me posting back in December, I was against the Stitt hire. I had a lot of questions about him. I'm glad he's here tho and Stoked to see happens!! I say a new Steak starts against MSU of 8-10 years and the Griz knock the BiSon back to the sugar beet fields.
GO GRIZ!!!

LongTimeCatFan said:

End, Guard,and tackle

He was a stud

People still tell this joke?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
LongTimeCatFan said:

End, Guard,and tackle

He was a stud

People still tell this joke?

Your mom lets you out of her basement?

NLGrizFan said:
I'm so fired up for this season and to see what Coach Stitt will to Griz football!! For those who remember me posting back in December, I was against the Stitt hire. I had a lot of questions about him. I'm glad he's here tho and Stoked to see happens!! I say a new Steak starts against MSU of 8-10 years and the Griz knock the BiSon back to the sugar beet fields.
GO GRIZ!!!

Wasn't my first choice either but I support the Griz first and foremost so whoever is in charge has my 100% heart and soul backing!!!!

Back