• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Football tryouts??

This has to be a joke, right? The only time I ever saw this kind of thing work was when Scott Bakula convinced Sinbad to use up his remaining eligibility.

JDoub said:
It's actually worked pretty well for Texas A&M since the 80's

I'll admit that it's kind of a neat tradition for those few schools that have made it a long-standing regular tradition, and I suspect at those schools (like A&M with over 40,000 students) they do attract a handful of talented players who know the opportunity to make the team via tryout is present.

That is not what's happening in Bozeman though.

Yukon said:
kind of:

-bobcatstadium.jpg20130905.jpg

Hey now...lets not bash the Kitties Stadium....it is a very very nice high school facility.....I can only think of 4-5 high schools in the DFW area that have nicer.

firmgriz said:
JDoub said:
It's actually worked pretty well for Texas A&M since the 80's

I'll admit that it's kind of a neat tradition for those few schools that have made it a long-standing regular tradition, and I suspect at those schools (like A&M with over 40,000 students) they do attract a handful of talented players who know the opportunity to make the team via tryout is present.

That is not what's happening in Bozeman though.

Cats have been doing it since the 70's. Sure they don't have 40,000 students, but I have had High School friends that went to MSU, and were on the Soccer team in high School, try-out. that was back in the mid 90's. If the 1965 Basketball coach wasn't walking the field house and saw a young man kicking soccer balls over the goal posts and into a bucket, we may never have known who NFL Hall of Famer Jan Stenerud was.

Good points saccat66. I seriously hope they find a guy or two worthy of playing, those are always great stories for the players and programs.

firmgriz said:
Good points saccat66. I seriously hope they find a guy or two worthy of playing, those are always great stories for the players and programs.

Just ask the players that went to Notre Dame and played with Rudy!

I'm hardly a cat or Griz historian, but since' 65, who, since Jan Stenerud, are the other diamonds in the rough that were caught in this campus wide net(cat or Griz)?

bigsky33 said:
firmgriz said:

Just ask the players that went to Notre Dame and played with Rudy!

LOL. My good friend is Pete Holohan. He says that Rudy reminds him at every ND reunion that he made ten times more money with his one movie than Pete ever saw in his whole NFL career....

statler & waldorf said:
I'm hardly a cat or Griz historian, but since' 65, who, since Jan Stenerud, are the other diamonds in the rough that were caught in this campus wide net(cat or Griz)?

I know that Rocky Hogue our long snapper the last few years was a tryout guy. He has worked out really well. There is nothing wrong with giving a few kids who think they may have what it takes, a chance. Doesn't take up that much time.

Damn, I got 4 years of eligibility.left. I'd be 57 when I graduate. Pretty sure they wouldn't red shirt me. After seeing what they had on the field last year, I might have a shot...no, it would be embarrassing. How do you explain that to a kid?

This is fucking hilarious. We need to bump this thread every 20mins or so. Also, we should pass the hat around to send BWhal to live tweet this spectacular event.

I especially like how the kitty trolls are saying all the big schools are doing it. Ha ha. Awesome. They don't realize that at those schools, it's a publicity stunt and/or they are big enuf to actually attract a real talent. The boobcats, OTOH, are truly looking for depth from this shitshow. unbelievable.

We need to start a list of all the embarrasing shit that vim-poor program does. Just look at the last week or so:
This
Trick Ass
Super-thumbs
The prez canned the AD (which may actually be a positive) but I heard cat trolls say the prez wants to bowl in the stadium. My question is: which stadium? All four?

garizzalies said:
This is f***[*] hilarious. We need to bump this thread every 20mins or so. Also, we should pass the hat around to send BWhal to live tweet this spectacular event.

I especially like how the kitty trolls are saying all the big schools are doing it. Ha ha. Awesome. They don't realize that at those schools, it's a publicity stunt and/or they are big enuf to actually attract a real talent. The boobcats, OTOH, are truly looking for depth from this shitshow. unbelievable.

We need to start a list of all the embarrasing shit that vim-poor program does. Just look at the last week or so:
This
Trick Ass
Super-thumbs
The prez canned the AD (which may actually be a positive) but I heard cat trolls say the prez wants to bowl in the stadium. My question is: which stadium? All four?

I will try and break down all these for you.

1) "This" There is very little chance anyone will actually make the team. And we are not trying to build "depth"

2) "trick ass" This is the exact thing that happened to the griz last year (maybe 2 years ago) when the griz pulled an offer from a player, and the head coach of that high school tweeted and said in the papers that "UM is never allowed in my school again to recruit my players (paraphrasing, but you get the point)

3) "super thumbs" not sure about that one. I don't know that error...
EDIT.....Just saw what you were referring to....you got that one, what an ASS of a Bobcat fan.

4) "canning the AD" I think this came from cruzado and her passion for being better. Good move on her part.

5) "Bowling in the stadium" This really is her mission. She was the main driving force in getting the one end zone done, and will say to anyone who asks, that she hates the "highschool sheds" in the north endzone. Boosters are asking for an indoor practice facility, and her quote was "then you need to open up your millions and pay for it, because nothing is more important than the east side bleachers with sky boxes and the endzone changed into an amazing site."

You can all blast away all you want now. I am just telling you, from a Bobcat family for over 70 years (I am not that old) that we believe that she can push this to happen. Have we been on the short side of the "rivalry" (I still think it is because I am a Cats fan...what else do I have) yes...Have we had teams that we thought would win it all?....every year...But what's wrong with that. Hell Cubs fans show up in droves every year to get let down. They still love their team.

Very long story short, sure we feel great about our team, after all...we are always pre-season champions.......

garizzalies said:
This is fucking hilarious. We need to bump this thread every 20mins or so. Also, we should pass the hat around to send BWhal to live tweet this spectacular event.

This
Trick Ass
Super-thumbs
I'd like to see Brinty pad up and get on the field. How cool would that be? I seriously doubt they have a helmet that big though . . .

Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:
This is f***[*] hilarious. We need to bump this thread every 20mins or so. Also, we should pass the hat around to send BWhal to live tweet this spectacular event.

This
Trick Ass
Super-thumbs
I'd like to see Brinty pad up and get on the field. How cool would that be? I seriously doubt they have a helmet that big though . . .

Didn't someone ask Brint to coach the Griz D last month? Now this? Sure his head has gotten big but there's a reason.....

CV Griz Fan said:
Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:

This
Trick Ass
Super-thumbs

Didn't someone ask Brint to coach the Griz D last month? Now this? Sure his head has gotten big but there's a reason.....

Uggh, can you just imagine all the time that poor Courtney Smith would spend printing graphs?

CV Griz Fan said:
Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:

This
Trick Ass
Super-thumbs

Uggh, can you just imagine all the time that poor Courtney Smith would spend printing graphs?

garizzalies said:

This
Trick Ass
Super-thumbs
well i'm far from a "kitty troll" :roll: , but I certainly pointed out that many schools do this, including big schools. I know UM (Minnesota) still does this and Wisconsin did at one time as well. not sure they still do. at Minnesota it definitely wasn't a publicity stunt. I wouldn't consider it a stunt at Alabama either although it does come with a lot of fanfare.

you guys are really grasping at straws for smack though. it's disappointing really. I mean, this is something we have done here forever. at least since the late 80's when I started paying attention. I don't know that there have been any over the years to actually contribute though I doubt it. but what a cool story if someone did.

come on...some of you are better than this... :oops:

Latest posts

Back