• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good acting, bad reffing

mikegriz said:
TheBud said:
Odd first post. However, there were 3 really bad calls, including the "roughing" the punter penalty, that should have gone the Cats way. There was also a missed face-mask penalty that should have gone against the Griz.

The game was definitely won by the Griz, but the officiating was horrible and the Griz did receive some benefit. The outcome would not have changed though. The Griz still would have handily won.

Did the officiating suck any worse than the average BSC game? Only game this year where I don't remember there being some ridiculous bad call was NDSU (when they sent the officiating all star squad). Sometimes the bad calls go our way, sometimes the other way; but bad officiating is just part of the BSC (and part of football) right? This was one of the weirdest threads I've seen on here in a while. Seemed like somebody just wanted to call Brint out.
No worse. Just more one-sided in this game than usual, IMHO.

Call Brint out for what? Was he officiating? I think that some are giving him advice on a refrigerator.

NOBODY likes bad officiating and the Griz have been on the wrong side of it many times. I recall official apologies issued by the Big Sky for missed calls (the safety that wasn't). Its business as usual in the Big Sky.

the sheer quantity of vitriol being spewed at Lider is amazing...

"Re: Rachac column
Postby Joe Bobcat on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:06 pm
Not mad at the punter and yet when a player shows that much disrespect for the game and all who who play it there will be fallout. The name of the punter is Chris Lider AKA Chris the flopping injury faking lier"

http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37186

PDXGrizzly said:

Not mad at the punter and yet when a player shows that much disrespect for the game and all who who play it there will be fallout. The name of the punter is Chris Lider AKA Chris the flopping injury faking lier"

If they didn't have their tears they would have nothing. Leave them to their misery. By next summer they'll be Preseason National Champions and getting ready for the changing of the guard. They don't want to put the blame on the team or the coach so they need another outlet. Grant them that. It is the least we can do for lil' bro.

Grisly Fan said:
PDXGrizzly said:

If they didn't have their tears they would have nothing. Leave them to their misery. By next summer they'll be Preseason National Champions and getting ready for the changing of the guard. They don't want to put the blame on the team or the coach so they need another outlet. Grant them that. It is the least we can do for lil' bro.

Your compassion for little brother is very touching

mikegriz said:
TheBud said:
Odd first post. However, there were 3 really bad calls, including the "roughing" the punter penalty, that should have gone the Cats way. There was also a missed face-mask penalty that should have gone against the Griz.

The game was definitely won by the Griz, but the officiating was horrible and the Griz did receive some benefit. The outcome would not have changed though. The Griz still would have handily won.

Did the officiating suck any worse than the average BSC game? Only game this year where I don't remember there being some ridiculous bad call was NDSU (when they sent the officiating all star squad). Sometimes the bad calls go our way, sometimes the other way; but bad officiating is just part of the BSC (and part of football) right? This was one of the weirdest threads I've seen on here in a while. Seemed like somebody just wanted to call Brint out.
nah, it was the same as every other game I have watched in the big sky. it seems worse because that awful roughing penalty came at a crucial part in the game. but it was par for the course as far as i'm concerned. I saw late hits, countless holds that weren't called, a couple illegal blocks down the field, and of course the horrendous phantom hit on the griz punter.

not sure on the outrage however. this game was officiated like every big sky game is officiated. I just don't know that there is anything that can be done about it... :(

If I remember the Cat punter did his own acting job when a Griz player touched him and the Cat punter did his flop acting job. I wonder if he had grabbed his leg maybe.........

IdahoGrizFan said:
If I remember the Cat punter did his own acting job when a Griz player touched him and the Cat punter did his flop acting job. I wonder if he had grabbed his leg maybe.........
you are correct. he got ran into. the refs called running into the punter. the cats were awarded 5 yards.

ilovethecats said:
IdahoGrizFan said:
you are correct. he got ran into. the refs called running into the punter. the cats were awarded 5 yards.

Actually the Cats declined the penalty since it was like 4th and 20....but if you take another look at the play, you will clearly see that the Griz defender actually got fingers on the punt....so it should never have been flagged anyway....

grizindabox said:
ilovethecats said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

Actually the Cats declined the penalty since it was like 4th and 20....but if you take another look at the play, you will clearly see that the Griz defender actually got fingers on the punt....so it should never have been flagged anyway....
which isn't surprising. something just HAS to be done about the level of incompetence displayed by big sky officials. do they have weekly reviews? are they graded? are there ever suspensions or terminations? honestly, I swear I see better officiating every weekend at the high school level. I wish I had a better understanding on the expectations and consequences for these guys because it really appears to me that there is nothing keeping them from botching call after call.

ilovethecats said:
mikegriz said:
TheBud said:

nah, it was the same as every other game I have watched in the big sky. it seems worse because that awful roughing penalty came at a crucial part in the game. but it was par for the course as far as i'm concerned. I saw late hits, countless holds that weren't called, a couple illegal blocks down the field, and of course the horrendous phantom hit on the griz punter.

not sure on the outrage however. this game was officiated like every big sky game is officiated. I just don't know that there is anything that can be done about it... :(

But I thought the Cats lost because: 1) Ash sucks and needs to go now! 2) Defense is miserable; the new DC needs to go now along with the rest of the assistants and AD 3) Dakota's ankle hurt and on that one 4th down he couldn't plant his foot 4) Their stadium isn't as nice and they can't get the best Texas recruits until its up to par with Montana.

How can one 3rd quarter call be so huge for a team that led 37 - 14 at the half and 15 when it happened? If Cats could have score 2 more consecutive TD's and successfully converted a 2 pointer after that call.....and then THEY WOULD HAVE TIED THE GAME!!

By the way....the attempted two pointer later when they were down 9 pretty much sealed it for the Griz.....shoulda waited for the next TD to go for 2!!

yellowstone60 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
ronangrizfan said:
As all of you sugarcoat here with rosy palms celebrate this successful season, remember a most blatant call for roughing the punter dictated the tone for the rest of the game. Junior high refs wouldn't haven't screwed that call up.

However,keep coating my screen with sugar and I'll keep using a napkin to clean it off. To playorape,sales person at freds appliances and ONLY appliances,and also grizzly of best buy, if I were your manager, you would be written up for non-performance of duty and a second write up for stupidity. Get back to work, both of you.

That play would mean nothing if "no balz Bob" would have kept his foot on the accelerator instead of running 30 plays for a total of 40 yards in the third quarter. But, sugar coaters overlook the minor details, until we lose because of Stitt's Little Grizzly calls.
hey stevie dill, I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

It would easier if you would remove it from mine first, jellystoner

Atlanta Griz1 said:

:?

Why do you have someone else's head up your ass? Is it really that cavernous that random people are in danger of falling into it?

Between your "jack it" post earlier and this one you're really posting too much information lately. We don't need to know this stuff about you.

ilovethecats said:
something just HAS to be done about the level of incompetence displayed by big sky officials. do they have weekly reviews? are they graded? are there ever suspensions or terminations? honestly, I swear I see better officiating every weekend at the high school level. I wish I had a better understanding on the expectations and consequences for these guys because it really appears to me that there is nothing keeping them from botching call after call.

At least we had replay this year to reverse some of their botched calls, but yeah I agree they are flat out awful the majority of the time. Same goes for the basketball refs. In basketball it actually hurts our conference quite a bit too since they call a lot of ticky tack fouls and punish teams for playing aggressive physical defense. The a team from our conference goes against a big time program and gets knocked around while expecting fouls to be called.

There really doesn't appear to be any consequences either & every year it's just the same-ol' same-ol'.

Mousegriz said:
ilovethecats said:
mikegriz said:
TheBud said:

But I thought the Cats lost because: 1) Ash sucks and needs to go now! 2) Defense is miserable; the new DC needs to go now along with the rest of the assistants and AD 3) Dakota's ankle hurt and on that one 4th down he couldn't plant his foot 4) Their stadium isn't as nice and they can't get the best Texas recruits until its up to par with Montana.

How can one 3rd quarter call be so huge for a team that led 37 - 14 at the half and 15 when it happened? If Cats could have score 2 more consecutive TD's and successfully converted a 2 pointer after that call.....and then THEY WOULD HAVE TIED THE GAME!!

By the way....the attempted two pointer later when they were down 9 pretty much sealed it for the Griz.....shoulda waited for the next TD to go for 2!!
no clue bout anything you said actually. I never said anything about any of those points. I said the officiating was just as d as any game I ha seen in the big sky conference so i'm not sure why people are making such a big deal about this week.

I can give it a shot addressing your crazy talking points however. 1) maybe so. for many us ash isn't getting the job done. it isn't far fetched to blame losses on coaches. not sure how this pertains to crap officiating. 2) defense has been miserable all season. that plays a huge role in wins and losses in my opinion. if you can't stop teams, winning is difficult I don't know how much control ione has so i'm not ready for him to go. but something needs to change. not sure how this pertains to crap officiating. 3) i'm sure Dakota is banged up just like everyone else this time of year. maybe you just notice more with qb's. not sure how this pertains to crap officiating. 4) our stadium and facilities are not up to par with um. I am of the belief that facilities are important and can play a role in recruiting. this is not to suggest the team with the nicest stadium gets the better player 100% of the time. but I think things like our stadium, weight room, practice facility, tailgating areas, uniforms, etc. are important and play a role in a successful program. not sure how this pertains to crap officiating?

Potomac Griz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

:?

Why do you have someone else's head up your ass? Is it really that cavernous that random people are in danger of falling into it?

Between your "jack it" post earlier and this one you're really posting too much information lately. We don't need to know this stuff about you.

ilovethecats said:
something just HAS to be done about the level of incompetence displayed by big sky officials. do they have weekly reviews? are they graded? are there ever suspensions or terminations? honestly, I swear I see better officiating every weekend at the high school level. I wish I had a better understanding on the expectations and consequences for these guys because it really appears to me that there is nothing keeping them from botching call after call.

At least we had replay this year to reverse some of their botched calls, but yeah I agree they are flat out awful the majority of the time. Same goes for the basketball refs. In basketball it actually hurts our conference quite a bit too since they call a lot of ticky tack fouls and punish teams for playing aggressive physical defense. The a team from our conference goes against a big time program and gets knocked around while expecting fouls to be called.

There really doesn't appear to be any consequences either & every year it's just the same-ol' same-ol'.

Whining once again, about me, and about the refs. Loser

The roughing call was a botched call, but I didn't think the overall reffing was bad in the game. There were a few other calls that I noticed, but they went against both teams about evenly. I suppose Lider's rolling around was a bit much, but kickers fake getting hit all the time. lovethecats, it's probably not worth you trying to respond to some of the posts teasing Cat posters. As you know, those are just exaggerations of the many things that one or more Cat poster said or insinuated.

As for replay in the Big Sky, it's almost a joke, as they aren't enough camera angles to allow the replay official enough views to make the right call. Sometimes, there's only one view, and it's on the wrong side of the play. While I like replay when I'm watching on tv, especially in the NFL and big conference and they have lots of camera angles, I'm not a fan of replay reviews. Makes mountains out of mole hills. Who cares if the tip of the ball touched the turf on a pass reception, if the receiver really caught the ball and hung onto it. The fumble rules drive me nuts too. The ground should be able to cause a fumble. A player ought to be able to hold onto the ball until it looks like he's really down. Replay review doesn't include replays of many much more important plays, like pass interference and holding. I'm not in favor of reviewing PI and interference, but at least those things should be able to be looked at if the play is otherwise being reviewed.

Lider was much better than an actor than Brekke who was playing dead at the goal line on a kickoff to try and fool the Griz.

ilovethecats said:
grizindabox said:
ilovethecats said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

which isn't surprising. something just HAS to be done about the level of incompetence displayed by big sky officials. do they have weekly reviews? are they graded? are there ever suspensions or terminations? honestly, I swear I see better officiating every weekend at the high school level. I wish I had a better understanding on the expectations and consequences for these guys because it really appears to me that there is nothing keeping them from botching call after call.

I think the problem is that there is a shortage of good, qualified officials. I suspect that if you are a good BSC ref, it isn't long before the Mountain West and Pac 12 come calling with a much better deal.

mcg said:
ilovethecats said:
grizindabox said:
ilovethecats said:

I think the problem is that there is a shortage of good, qualified officials. I suspect that if you are a good BSC ref, it isn't long before the Mountain West and Pac 12 come calling with a much better deal.

And you don't have to go to places like Greeley.

Back