• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grading the Griz, pre-fall camp

BWahlberg said:
The defense has been labeled...unable to adapt as well.
I think Delaney and his staff have done great things for us but I think this is the biggest knock. We were very spoiled with Bobby and his staff and the 2nd half adjustments they would make. I can't count how many games went into halftime either struggling to take control or losing, only to come out in the second half and dominante. Last year we seen some of that second half mojo but that was largely in part of great independent plays by great players(Tripp's blocked feild goal and JJ in the clutch against Cal Po, Ellis and Hermy vs SD, and JJ and Ellis being themselves against Sac St.

alabamagrizzly said:
BWahlberg said:
The defense has been labeled...unable to adapt as well.
I think Delaney and his staff have done great things for us but I think this is the biggest knock. We were very spoiled with Bobby and his staff and the 2nd half adjustments they would make. I can't count how many games went into halftime either struggling to take control or losing, only to come out in the second half and dominante. Last year we seen some of that second half mojo but that was largely in part of great independent plays by great players(Tripp's blocked feild goal and JJ in the clutch against Cal Po, Ellis and Hermy vs SD, and JJ and Ellis being themselves against Sac St.

I will say this, in 2012 the Griz had many games where they had the lead at the half or it was real close, and lost the game in the 2nd half. Griz had a 24-7 lead over NAU, 26-17 lead over EWU, 17-13 lead over SUU, and a 7-3 lead over MSU. Some of those (like the EWU game) were late leads, but adjustments did the Griz in that year. Hop to 2013 and in their 3 losses the Griz actually adjusted better in the 2nd half and closed the gap in all 3 games... but it wasn't enough. You see they've improved quite a bit there, I'm hoping yet another year produces even better results.

Sugar Coater Here,

NDSU has shown us that it's the team that really counts, not the individual players. I give the entire team a B-, but I expect them to win the conference, just like every year, and I hope for far greater things than that.

I look for solid contributions from Gamboa, Nelson, KVA, Kose, Rogers, Peevey, Lebsock, etc. If enough of those relatively unknown guys exceed expectations, this team could be something special.

But...it's a damn tough schedule, and time will tell.

Your friend,
yogi

AllWeatherFan said:
Sugar Coater Here,

NDSU has shown us that it's the team that really counts, not the individual players. I give the entire team a B-, but I expect them to win the conference, just like every year, and I hope for far greater things than that.

I look for solid contributions from Gamboa, Nelson, KVA, Kose, Rogers, Peevey, Lebsock, etc. If enough of those relatively unknown guys exceed expectations, this team could be something special.

But...it's a damn tough schedule, and time will tell.

Your friend,
yogi

Is AllWeatherFan also Yogi?!

BWahlberg said:
I think Delaney and his staff have done great things for us but I think this is the biggest knock. You see they've improved quite a bit there, I'm hoping yet another year produces even better results.

5-6 to 10-3... Yeah, pretty damn solid improvement
I think we are all about to learn 2012 was just a speed bump.

I for one can't wait to see if the Griz can take back the BSC and regain their rightful crown on top of the FCS in '14

With the grades the tight ends and offensive line are getting I hope JJ has a stomach virus on August 30th. Wyo has a pretty good front 7. :yikes:

PlayerRep said:
Here's where I have a differing view:

QB - A
TE - C with potential to go to B. There are a bunch of guys competing for time.
O-line - C and hopefully better. Hoping some of the younger guys can step up
D-line - A - great starters, lots of depth
Linebackers - B, hopefully
D-backs - B with potential to go a bit higher. Good and experienced starters. The safeties are hitters. We'll see how the new transfer safety is and whether there is a transfer corner
Punter - A
Placekicker - hoping for a B. Greenberg has hit some from almost 60 this summer, and many from 50 (all completely uncontested). We'll see.
Other special teams play - B or higher
Coaching - B+, maybe higher
All assuming no key injuries. The big concern is obviously o-line.

LOL! :clap: Maybe you should leave the actual evaluations to BW... He's pretty good at it. Tho bolded part above is... well so thought provoking and packed full of useful info. I wish we had a position group where we had guys competing for time. :lol:

I'd put the DL at least an A-. It's probably one of the best units in the FCS and is the biggest strength of the team.

I really like JJ, but I'd put the QB position at B+. A lot of the assessment given is based on what he did in Pflu's system. I think he was probably the 3rd or 4th best QB in the BSC last year. Granted, he wasn't healthy last year and just got back from pure stressful hell with not much time to concentrate on learning the new offense, so much of this year will depend on if he is himself or not and work back to form.

WR is also a B or B+ in my opinion. Henderson is great, but I see a lot of unproven guys in the depth chart. I think it does have the potential to be a very good unit if the OL can hold their blocks and give them time to complete their routes. I think we have too many scholarship WRs and not enough OL. Just my opinion.

Sam A. Blitz said:
I'd put the DL at least an A-. It's probably one of the best units in the FCS and is the biggest strength of the team.

I really like JJ, but I'd put the QB position at B+. A lot of the assessment given is based on what he did in Pflu's system. I think he was probably the 3rd or 4th best QB in the BSC last year. Granted, he wasn't healthy last year and just got back from pure stressful hell with not much time to concentrate on learning the new offense, so much of this year will depend on if he is himself or not and work back to form.

WR is also a B or B+ in my opinion. Henderson is great, but I see a lot of unproven guys in the depth chart. I think it does have the potential to be a very good unit if the OL can hold their blocks and give them time to complete their routes. I think we have too many scholarship WRs and not enough OL. Just my opinion.

You think JJ was the 3rd or 4th best QB in the Big Sky? What three would you say were better than him?

BWahlberg said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

You think JJ was the 3rd or 4th best QB in the Big Sky? What three would you say were better than him?

I thought Adams and Safron had better years last year. I think Safron was the best QB in the league last year based on what he did with what he had around him. He was a gamer and was the better QB in our game with them last year IMO. Adams, I feel is a bit overated, but you can't argue with his number and playmaking ability. I'd put JJ ahead of the rest of them, but you could make legitimate argument for Lobato. He was a very good QB on a weak team. Very underrated. Lot's of people might make a case for McGhee too. I wouldn't, but he's one of the best QBs MSU has had and also was limited by injuries and a below average OL.

Like I said, I think JJ could have a big year. Lots of it depends on whether the OL can protect him, give him time, and stay healthy. He'll also have a full year of focusing just on football and the playbook this year.

This thread should be called "Pass the Sugar"... sponsored by Kelloggs' "Frosted Flakes".The usual suspects are vying for the prize. :eek: How could you possibly score the "kicking club" above a "D-"...seriously. They kick like "Culture Club" :roll: We had to alter our game plan in the playoffs because of their sustained, propensity to fail. We went for it on multiple 4th down tries and you could argue it was lethal to the outcome. T.E. how about an incomplete? 0 experience at the position at the NCAA varsity level. The most dominate players for their positions are Hendy and the punter Shaw. :egriz:

Sam A. Blitz said:

Which receivers are on scholarship?

Jones had 1 less reception than Henderson last season. Averaged 18.1 yards per catch, 3d in conference behind Kupp at 18.2. Jones is hardly inexperienced.

rimrockgriz said:
This thread should be called "Pass the Sugar"... sponsored by Kelloggs' "Frosted Flakes".The usual suspects are vying for the prize. :eek: How could you possibly score the "kicking club" above a "D-"...seriously. They kick like "Culture Club" :roll: We had to alter our game plan in the playoffs because of their sustained, propensity to fail. We went for it on multiple 4th down tries and you could argue it was lethal to the outcome. T.E. how about an incomplete? 0 experience at the position at the NCAA varsity level. The most dominate players for their positions are Hendy and the punter Shaw. :egriz:

Note the thread is about the team this year, not last year. You obviously haven't been following summer PRP's and otherwise paying attention.

PlayerRep said:
rimrockgriz said:

Note the thread is about the team this year, not last year. You obviously haven't been following summer PRP's and otherwise paying attention.
Hope you are having a great Montana summer too! :egriz:

reinell30 said:
Brint, as always I value your opinion because you are there to watch and have a front row view of this team. Most of E-Grizzers are a long distance away and have no idea what is happening...just have to comment to be commenting. Be looking forward to your posts on fall camp as it progresses. Would be nice if it wasn't a closed camp.
Thanks Brint!
X2 - as always, thanks BW.

We'll go as far as the OL carries us.

While we have great players elsewhere, we won't do well if we can't run or throw the ball (or kick field goals). DOLA is somewhere else and our field goal kickers are MIA.

Those are my concerns for the coming year.

Anyway, it's about time we started playing football again!

Untested oline, questionable secondary......like other posters. I see some issues.

Injuries always the wild card.

......if we stay healthy and develop on the secondary and oline we'll be pretty good!

rimrockgriz said:

Mega fail

See what I mean Brint?

Raider said:
rimrockgriz said:

Mega fail

See what I mean Brint?

Raider, your earlier observation on the line between sugar and cynicism was absolutely correct, and this post was a shining example. And sugar aside, what's wrong with a fan base people excited and optimistic on their team and season? Fans out to support their teams, not tear them down. And lastly, in the past 15 or so years, the so-called sugar coaters have been much closer to being right on the overall success of the seasons than the cynics and (non)objective posters.

Back