• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grading the Griz, pre-fall camp

garizzalies said:
Smfh. Let me try it this way. What do you guys believe saw a bigger improvement from 12 to 13: the team's overall level of talent or the team's overall level of coaching?

For at least the 3d time in this thread, it was primarily the return of JJ. Except for JJ, the talent level was roughly the same and the coaches were roughly the same (but with another year of experience in their positions and working together. Had UM not had JJ and had S-H and McKinney as they were in '12, UM wouldn't have had a good season and would not have made the playoffs in '13, in my view.

garizzalies said:
I could make the argument the coaching actually decreased. Exhibit A: the CC game. If you can't get the boys ready to play a PO game in the cold, what can you do?

Well they learned how to keep track of the down and number of TOs and they eliminated the bone-headed gramma plays like the kick 2.0, super secret punt returns to PFN, and project shay vs kitty.

That's kinda like going from -1 to 0. Not really an improvement in my mind. Plus they returned to the stone age (eliminated spread) and now wanna run booby ball with a new line, scatty backs, and no proven TE

Thank god we have JJ. We should call the offense "max protect"

I loved our linebackers last year, but go check out how they played in the CC game.

CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
Raider said:
rimrockgriz said:
This thread should be called "Pass the Sugar"... sponsored by Kelloggs' "Frosted Flakes".The usual suspects are vying for the prize. :eek: How could you possibly score the "kicking club" above a "D-"...seriously. They kick like "Culture Club" :roll: We had to alter our game plan in the playoffs because of their sustained, propensity to fail. We went for it on multiple 4th down tries and you could argue it was lethal to the outcome. T.E. how about an incomplete? 0 experience at the position at the NCAA varsity level. The most dominate players for their positions are Hendy and the punter Shaw. :egriz:

Mega fail

See what I mean Brint?

Sure do :thumb:

I'm going going to revise every position except QB to an F and I'll give QB a D- and then check in at foursquare to get my "objective poster badge".

The beauty is that in a few weeks the 2014 Griz season will start. We'll all know soon enough what this Montana team has or doesn't have. Whether it's Brint, PR, Rimrock, Raider or me all we are doing is conjecturing at this point. Nobody has a crystal ball although Indian Outlaw did predict the 2013 season almost perfectly from what I remember.

Peyote will do that for you.

Zactly. I didn't even mention TG.

But I did forget to ask, who's gonna play the role of the tall possession receiver like tallmage/bagley in this patchwork boobball scheme?

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
I could make the argument the coaching actually decreased. Exhibit A: the CC game. If you can't get the boys ready to play a PO game in the cold, what can you do?

Well they learned how to keep track of the down and number of TOs and they eliminated the bone-headed gramma plays like the kick 2.0, super secret punt returns to PFN, and project shay vs kitty.

That's kinda like going from -1 to 0. Not really an improvement in my mind. Plus they returned to the stone age (eliminated spread) and now wanna run booby ball with a new line, scatty backs, and no proven TE

I loved our linebackers last year, but go check out how they played in the CC game.

Who's fault was that?

The difference was in 2012 we found ways to lose games and in 2013 we found ways to win games. Henderson returns a kick for a TD, Tripp blocks a chip shot, Coyle intercepts a pass near the goal line, JJ finds Harper for a TD on 4th down. That was the players, not the coaches.

garizzalies said:
Smfh. Let me try it this way. What do you guys believe saw a bigger improvement from 12 to 13: the team's overall level of talent or the team's overall level of coaching?

Both :thumb:

PhxGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:

Who's fault was that?

The linebackers.

BDizzle said:
The difference was in 2012 we found ways to lose games and in 2013 we found ways to win games. Henderson returns a kick for a TD, Tripp blocks a chip shot, Coyle intercepts a pass near the goal line, JJ finds Harper for a TD on 4th down. That was the players, not the coaches.

Yes, and it was the play and presence of JJ that led to most of the better play.

BDizzle said:
Nice small, concise post B Dizz. ;) Way to wipe out the ass suckers that spend an entire work day posting meaningless stats. The players make the plays and we can only hope the current coaches don't pr!ck up the scheme. Does 2x6=12 or is it 4x3=12...? I think this year we need the "Hoover" award... :egriz:

j.j. walked into nice situations in 2011 and 2013. we had nine first or second big sky in '11 and eleven in 2013. just four in 2012. in 2012 moore was injured almost all year, we didn't have jones and hendu wasn't fully utilized. eight of the all bsc guys from last year are gone. our wrs in 2012 were sub-par compared to 2011 and 2013. we had sambrano and moutra in 2011, gratton and carver in 2012, hendu and jones in 2013.

its funny how people always refer to ssh as 'the guy' in 2012. he only started three games. his completion pct (61.2) was better than j.j.'s in either season (56.7, 59.8). mckinney was 65.4 in 2012.

but j.j. gets all the credit for the turnaround.

j.j. walked into nice situations in 2011 and 2013. we had nine first or second big sky in '11 and eleven in 2013. just four in 2012. in 2012 moore was injured almost all year, we didn't have jones and hendu wasn't fully utilized. eight of the all bsc guys from last year are gone. our wrs in 2012 were sub-par compared to 2011 and 2013. we had sambrano and moutra in 2011, gratton and carver in 2012, hendu and jones in 2013.

its funny how people always refer to ssh as 'the guy' in 2012. he only started three games. his completion pct (61.2) was better than j.j.'s in either season (56.7, 59.8). mckinney was 65.4 in 2012.

but j.j. gets all the credit for the turnaround. no, i'm not saying her isn't good or that ssh or mckinney is better. just that there's a lot more to it than p.r. would have you believe.

getgrizzy said:

You appear to have forgotten that in 2012 the only passing game utilized was the short passing game. There were a ton of high percentage swing passes and screens that were less and less effective as the season wore on. There was virtually no deep or intermediate threat which allowed the defenses to sneak up closer to the line. This affected both the short passing game and the run game after the first several games.

I don't care how high of a completion % SSH and TM threw in 2012 because there was zero deep threat. Not only did JJ throw a ton of deep balls that were caught in 2013, he also did it with a shoulder injury that affected his completion % the last 1/2 + of the season.

Henderson was underutilized in 2012 because SSH and TM couldn't get him the deep ball.

go96griz said:
getgrizzy said:

You appear to have forgotten that in 2012 the only passing game utilized was the short passing game. There were a ton of high percentage swing passes and screens that were less and less effective as the season wore on. There was virtually no deep or intermediate threat which allowed the defenses to sneak up closer to the line. This affected both the short passing game and the run game after the first several games.

I don't care how high of a completion % SSH and TM threw in 2012 because there was zero deep threat. Not only did JJ throw a ton of deep balls that were caught in 2013, he also did it with a shoulder injury that affected his completion % the last 1/2 + of the season.

Henderson was underutilized in 2012 because SSH and TM couldn't get him the deep ball.
we didn't throw deep much last year either. most of our long pass plays had a lot of run after the catch. j.j. doesn't have a strong arm.

getgrizzy said:
go96griz said:
getgrizzy said:

we didn't throw deep much last year either. most of our long pass plays had a lot of run after the catch. j.j. doesn't have a strong arm.

That's not accurate. The bulk of the long pass plays were longer passes, not catch and runs. Especially the ones to Henderson. JJ has a fairly strong arm. He improved his arm strength and distance in his off season.

go96griz said:
getgrizzy said:

Average yards per catch: 10.8 in '12; 15.3 in '13. Huge difference.

In '13, JJ's average per catch was 4th in nation. In '13, 11.95 per catch was 50th in nation. So 10.8 per catch would probably be about 75th in nation.

getgrizzy said:

but j.j. gets all the credit for the turnaround.

It's funny that some people can see totally obvious things, like how not having a star qb in '12 severely hurt the team, and having a star qb in '13 really helped the team (by making the offense more productive at key times, which also helped the defense, and making key scores).

It's funny how some people don't know that teams generally get lots of all-conference selections when the team is very successful and far less all-conference selections when the team is not very successful.

In '12, UM has 6 players with 20 or more catches: Gratton, Hardy, Henderson, Saylor, Nguyen and Carver. The receivers were not just Gratton and Carver. In addition, Warren and Canada each had 15 and Moore had 11.

While Henderson improved from year to year, of course, his stats were vastly different:

In '12, 23 receptions, with an average per catch of 15.7, a long of 45 and 2 TD's.

In '13, 43 receptions, with an average per catch of 23.4, a long of 71, and 14 TD's.

PlayerRep said:
While Henderson improved from year to year, of course, his stats were vastly different:

In '12, 23 receptions, with an average per catch of 15.7, a long of 45 and 2 TD's.

In '13, 43 receptions, with an average per catch of 23.4, a long of 71, and 14 TD's.

Dude, about 10 posts ago, you were downplaying the improvement of Henderson:

PlayerRep said:
Henderson had a great year in '13. However, only 20 more catches than the prior year.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:

Dude, about 10 posts ago, you were downplaying the improvement of Henderson:

PlayerRep said:
Henderson had a great year in '13. However, only 20 more catches than the prior year.
and just two posts ago he was saying,
"its funny how some people..."
dudes a character. :roll:

Latest posts

Back