• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gregorak throwing some shade on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Champions Center funded by donations? Or was it only partially funded by donations?
You don't know the difference between a capital budget and an operating budget.

I do not, as I am not an accountant. Please explain for those of us that don't know. I guess I could google them.

AZGrizFan said:
UMGriz75 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
And after all that...somehow one of the programs in Montana is making huge strides in facilities for their football program, and the other isn't.

Maybe the sky isnt falling in the athletic dept after all?
Interesting how "fans" like you get it backwards. It isn't "after all that." That long term planning, fund-raising, construction came before the current "problems." So, correctly put, "before all that" Montana had great momentum.

Then, "after all that ...." is what actually happens now as the result of collapsing enrollment, the double-financial whammy of state budget cuts and UM internal budget cuts, combined with a collapsed football program.

If an AD has to cut "operations" by $3.2 million, what do you think gets cut? You have the hobson's choice of death by a thousand cuts across the board, or to try and achieve some big savings through shuttering non-essential facilities, and preserve as much as possible for team support. If things do get that dire -- and nobody ever thought the University of Montana would lose 55% of its freshmen enrollment in just seven years, or that it would have a 3-5 conference record and lose to the Cats -- think ... Champions Center. Then you'll understand what "after all that" actually means.

Haslam may or may not be a good or great AD, but I'd have a hard time finding one who has the prospects that he may likely have to face over the next year. Ty's tweet, as aggravating as it seemed to be to some, was perhaps a "handwriting on the wall" tweet. The new President is not likely to be an internal hire and will arrive with no ingrained loyalty to the football program. His or her problems will be much bigger.
:lol: "collapsed football program". That right there tells you all you need to know about the level of fan expectations for this program. 14 wins over the coach's first two years is "collapsed", whereas MSU's coach is crowing about a 4-7 season, simply because he caught lightening in a bottle and beat the cross-state rival (which happens about as often as Haley's comet returning). (and for the record, no I'm not happy about the performance last year, but I'd hardly describe the program as "collapsed", and see a pretty bright future ahead, actually).

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Champions Center funded by donations? Or was it only partially funded by donations?

A few things come from what you said.

1. A collapsed football program is a joke, on the field ya we haven't been as dominant as we all as fans of Montana expect. But as far as a program standpoint goes, every single team in the FCS would GLADLY trade places with Montana save maybe NDSU. I wouldn't consider that collapsed.

2. How much of what has transpired over the last 5 seasons did Oday have to deal with? I liked Oday a lot, but a huge majority of ADs would not have been able to sustain the BS and horrible leadership from the president that the university of Montana has and prevented those projects funding sources and completion from walking out the door, HASLAM did that.

3. Ok say our budgets are cut from the state, does that not also mean MSUs budgets are cut by the same amount? If so, I see them as being in much worse shape athletic dept wise. We have accomplished so much while every dept and board that had the power to taking shots at us, and from all that we will have an amazing accomplishment rising from the corner endzone of Wa-Griz as if to say, give us your best shot....Montana wins again.

MSU hasnt been able to fund the repainting of a grand stand. So again I dont think things are as doom and gloom as some would like to think.

P.S. I've helped develop some of the highest quality real estate projects/athletic facilities in the southwest including the Cowboys new world headquarters, so please save the "I know everything" undertone when talking about development.

....all I am going.....to say.......is that there are......several posters that.......think they have it.......all figured out........but they are missing......or avoiding......or won't consider......several pieces to.....the puzzle........

ordigger said:
UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I do not, as I am not an accountant. Please explain for those of us that don't know. I guess I could google them.

Are you telling me you think we will be able to build the Champions center but not turn the lights on and maintain the thing now UM75?

Thats quite the statement if thats what you're insinuating.

UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I was asking a question because your statement didn't make it clear. Are you saying the BUILDING itself will be cut, or the OPERATION of the building won't be possible?

UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
(and for the record, no I'm not happy about the performance last year, but I'd hardly describe the program as "collapsed", and see a pretty bright future ahead, actually).
How did your predictions for this past season turn out?
I was one game off. Thought we'd end up at 7-4. Thought we'd lose to UNI, but beat UNC and MSU.

AZGrizFan said:
UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I was asking a question because your statement didn't make it clear. Are you saying the BUILDING itself will be cut, or the OPERATION of the building won't be possible?

Hes saying that he thinks we wont have the budget to operate it, because he knows all the inside details as to every source of UoM athletics funding, and he gets to sit in every meeting and hear every convo had between those in power.

AZGrizFan said:

Can't remember which BOR meeting, but 5 million is being financed.

ordigger said:
UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Universities are pretty good, and UM one of the best, at funding construction through private donations. The cost of construction is a capital budget.

The problem, and some here note the "Dennison Legacy" in lots of new buildings, is that the capital budget may be privately funded, but the operating budget thereafter -- heating, maintenance, electricity, showers -- comes out of the operating budget which is for .... operating the facility.

In turn, the operating budget is funded generally from general revenues of the University. UM's Athletic Department pays its operating budget out of revenues received, admissions, state funds, campus funds, etc. But, those aren't the kind things that donors want to pay for. So, while its great to get a great big new facility from private donations, the downside is found in increased expenses thereafter for the costs of operating the facility. With the completion of Champion's Center, UM Athletic Department will have a substantially increased cost of operation as, simply from the scale of it, it will be an expensive facility to operate. In the best of times, the Department would have planned for cost reductions elsewhere, or revenue additions.

So, what happens when there is a substantial cut in the various revenue streams that support the operating budget? Something has to get cut.

AZGrizFan said:
Well, once it's built, I don't think they'd tear it down. But, if cost savings can't be generated to offset unexpected revenue cuts, a draconian solution is to mothball the facility. We've never had to think in those terms before, but we've never been here before.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
P.S. I've helped develop some of the highest quality real estate projects/athletic facilities in the southwest including the Cowboys new world headquarters, so please save the "I know everything" undertone when talking about development.
Your comments belie an astonishing naivete. I'd be surprised.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Hes saying that he thinks we wont have the budget to operate it, because he knows all the inside details as to every source of UoM athletics funding, and he gets to sit in every meeting and hear every convo had between those in power.
Never pass up an opportunity for an ad hominem hyperbolic attack in any discussion about an athletic program obviously important to most of us, if not you personally.

UMGriz75 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Your comments belie an astonishing naivete. I'd be surprised.

Well I guess I can say were lucky that achieving accomplishments in the real estate development sector doesn't also come with the caveat of having the backing of UM75

Don’t check e-griz much anymore, but good to see the grand pontificator is back in action.

Good stuff………… :?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Well I guess I can say were lucky that achieving accomplishments in the real estate development sector doesn't also come with the caveat of having the backing of UM75
I'd love to trade insults with you, since that seems to your primary talent, but UM is at a crossroads, and these are going to be "interesting times." Ty's tweet seems to have suggested he sees something of that from his more distant vantage point.

Raider said:
Don’t check e-griz much anymore, but good to see the grand pontificator is back in action.

Good stuff………… :?

He's the e-Griz version of Kim Jong-il.

korea_kim-jong-il-_2088541c.jpg

We must all be loyal subjects to the Dear Leader Comrade Supreme Commander!

UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Well, once it's built, I don't think they'd tear it down. But, if cost savings can't be generated to offset unexpected revenue cuts, a draconian solution is to mothball the facility. We've never had to think in those terms before, but we've never been here before.

You are so full of shit.

I guess it's the new normal now, though. Say whatever you want loudly enough and claim alternative facts, and you'll get some measure of stupid people to believe you.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
As most people involved in big real estate projects, or University operations, already know, there is a printed budget, with line items about all those "inside details."

EverettGriz said:
You are so full of shit.
Spoken like a true and dedicated Engstrom supporter. So far, how does it feel batting .000?

It's interesting. Nearly every "fact" you've ever claimed loudly to know about the University of Montana -- that the golf course was bought purposely for academic expansion, that "The" was never part of the official title University of Montana, to Engstrom is a great president -- has been factually wrong; stupidly wrong, and yet you are the one making an issue of "false facts." Maybe that's part of your lengthy "false facts" meme. Clever!

Or maybe you have always been full of shit and can't stop proving it.

See how that works?

EverettGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
AZGrizFan said:

You are so full of shit.

I guess it's the new normal now, though. Say whatever you want loudly enough and claim alternative facts, and you'll get some measure of stupid people to believe you.

What don't you get about "THE CRISIS", EG?

UM is in a "DEATH SPIRAL" and "DEEP DRACONIAN CUTS" will have to be made. I wouldn't be surprised that within the next 10 Years that the entire campus is razed and returned to farmland.

Wake the Fuck UP, People!
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back