• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz QB

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Are you really going to argue against a 26-4 record and a National Championship?

You can do all the semantics and player manipulation you want but the fact is the guy won games, he did it in the state AA championship and in the 1AA National Championship game. (Almost 2 in a row)

If you are going to argue against those credentials then you are ABSOLUTELY posting on the right fan forum.
Haha come on man, you simply don't understand the concept of team sports. It sounds like the Griz had a pretty badass defense that year, and I do remember Humphery being an animal. Edwards played on a phenomenal team! I'm sure there were games where the defense bailed Edwards out of some mistakes and vice versa.

Look at JJ, he was dealt a tough hand here these last two years. When he was playing for Pflugrad he was about as sharp as they come. If you're telling me the guy wouldn't be capable of winning a national championship with a team the same caliber as the one Edwards played on then you are delusional.

First of all the defense in 2001 was good not great and second of all Edwards would have won more games with the talent JJ had around him than JJ did.....a lot more.

I watched both of them play I would take Edwards.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
First of all the defense in 2001 was good not great and second of all Edwards would have won more games with the talent JJ had around him than JJ did.....a lot more.

Haha ok man ;)

brewskis said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Haha ok man ;)
This.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Who would win more with the talent around JJ, Ochs or JJ?

John Edwards was the 2002 Big Sky Conference Offensive MVP, Walter Payton Finalist and threw for 3,200 yards and 20 touchdowns with fricken Rory Zikmund as his best receiver.

The "game manager" moniker is a BS copout.

You guys are so hung up on the '02 cat game its dumb.

G-BEARS said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Who would win more with the talent around JJ, Ochs or JJ?

Ochs didn't start the 2003 season, not until the CP game. Both on run-oriented teams, with vastly different offensive styles. The 2003/2004 Ochs-lead teams ran for more than 2K yards each year, lead by Green, Hilliard & Waller. Talmage, TH & JH as wideouts. Both "rhythm-type" QB's who were @ there best when they could leverage their respective talents. Ochs was the better pure passer without a doubt, but wouldn't have survived in the spread. JJ would have been significantly better if the had stayed with the offensive style Pflu brought, so would the team.

Not sure the talent differences were as great as you might think. Had Ochs not gotten hurt in the playoff game in 2003 or had a real field to play on in the NC, I believe he would be in the team picture of Griz great QB's.

We would all wish that their luck would have been better.

Remember when JJ came in during the 2011 season and steadily improved until he was pretty much lights out in November? I think that's what we will see this season, whoever is starting.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

JJ never lost to the cats. That carries a lot of weight with me I despise those MoFo'ers!

brewskis said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
26-4

That is the only stat I need
The early 90's Cowboys won a s***ton of games and some national championships...but that was ALL O-line and Emmitt Smith. I'm not arguing that Edwards wasn't a good QB, but there's more to it than 26-4. I was a bit too young to really remember much of Edwards, but from the sounds of things Berguist, JJ, and in my opinion Andrew Selle all were of equal to possibly greater caliber.

Whoa there. You really think Aikman and Irvin were just riding Smith's coattails? He was the key, I agree, but he could not have won championships w/o Aikman and Irvin, IMO. :shock:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Oh wow, you watched them both play!? I'm sure you're the only one here who can make that claim. :jack:

srgrizizen said:
brewskis said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
26-4

The early 90's Cowboys won a s***ton of games and some national championships...but that was ALL O-line and Emmitt Smith. I'm not arguing that Edwards wasn't a good QB, but there's more to it than 26-4. I was a bit too young to really remember much of Edwards, but from the sounds of things Berguist, JJ, and in my opinion Andrew Selle all were of equal to possibly greater caliber.

Whoa there. You really think Aikman and Irvin were just riding Smith's coattails? He was the key, I agree, but he could not have won championships w/o Aikman and Irvin, IMO. :shock:
Yes very true, I should say that I was born around that time so I never watched them play haha I suppose the point I was trying to make was that it didn't take a lights out QB to win a National Championship with that team. The way I see it, we still could have won a NC in 2001 with a QB the caliber of JJ or Berguist. I guess I'm trying to add some credibility to those two guys after someone in this thread said the last great QB we had was Edwards.

Hammer said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

JJ never lost to the cats. That carries a lot of weight with me I despise those MoFo'ers!

Well maybe that awesome running game and defense should have stepped up? Especially special teams.

Htowngriz said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Oh wow, you watched them both play!? I'm sure you're the only one here who can make that claim. :jack:

Do you ever add anything to a thread other than your drive by pussy comments?

(Its a rhetorical question)

brewskis said:
srgrizizen said:
brewskis said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
26-4

Yes very true, I should say that I was born around that time so I never watched them play haha I suppose the point I was trying to make was that it didn't take a lights out QB to win a National Championship with that team. The way I see it, we still could have won a NC in 2001 with a QB the caliber of JJ or Berguist. I guess I'm trying to add some credibility to those two guys after someone in this thread said the last great QB we had was Edwards.

Edwards got it done and Bergquist, Selle, Ochs and JJ didnt.......but I see where you are coming from. (Actually I dont)

:coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
brewskis said:
srgrizizen said:
brewskis said:

Edwards got it done and Bergquist, Selle, Ochs and JJ didnt.......but I see where you are coming from. (Actually I dont)

:coffee:
No worries buddy :thumb: wish they all could have won one! But at least we're on the same team!

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Htowngriz said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Do you ever add anything to a thread other than your drive by pussy comments?

(Its a rhetorical question)
Don't mind me, just keep being the special snowflake you clearly are.

Hammer said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Couldn't agree more. FTC is a way of life!

Back