• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Quarterback Situation

sdk.catfish said:
Post by MTGRZ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:49 pm

I think the coaches were all in on Sneed since they knew they were coming to Missoula. Not to diminish Sneed, but given all of Hauck's talk about how long it takes to build up the program I believe they see him as a bridge to the NEXT QB (who is probably a junior or senior in high school this year). Sneed is more familiar with the offense they want to run, AND he only has two years left-Jensen has three. Because Jensen has three years it would take longer to get "Bobby's guy" in at QB. This is all speculative and somewhat of a conspiracy. But I do think they are already looking past Sneed to bring the program to the level Hauck wants.

In my opinion the coaching staff has no clue as to what they want (except wins). You don't just let go a freshmen red shirt all-american QB go without a solid back-up plan but that is what they have done. Even if Sneed is moderately successful, and doesn't get hurt, he will not lead us to the promised land. I think you are all thinking that the past reputation of UM football will somehow result in a miracle recruit to change this. But nobody (in terms of real FCS championship QB skills) is coming here now. We had the best in terms of miracle recruits in Jensen and we basically sent him to the shit-pond in Bozeman (which might actually happen although GJ has much better opportunities including NDSU).

If Jensen was not willing to compete here then he better not head to NDSU. I’m fairly certain they have guys there that are more than capable to “compete” with him. Many act like we lost Joe Montana himself! Jensen is a good QB, but not irreplaceable......I hope he finds a place that he can win the job.

MTGRZ said:
IdaGriz01 said:
... Just out of curiosity, I did a search for "college quarterback competitions," restricting it to posts during the past month. I got a ton of hits.

There were five highlighted just among the FBS team in the state of Florida ... and lots more all across the FBS spectrum (Power-5 and elsewhere). They included an amazing number of cases where an "incumbent" (previous starter) is projected to lose out to a new guy. I'm beginning to think the possibility of a drop-down may be higher than we might otherwise expect, because some of the guys involved are seniors who would need to drop down so they could play right away.

[The plot thickens.]
Good point all around. After listening to the radio show posted earlier with Tootell and Nuanez i'm starting to think this isn't AS big a deal as many have made it to be. Is it bad for us that he left? Yes, is it unheard of? No. Like you said, there may be plenty of other guys looking for a shot to compete this year.

Go Griz!
Okay, major, major edit ... because I somehow missed the separate thread about Jalen Hurts. Here's an article that points out that the Hurt is maybe not taking it quite as well as many people thought: https://www.westernjournal.com/wc/n...nt-in-college-football-if-not-starter-report/

Jalen Hurts has two years of eligibility left, so he's not going to drop down to FCS so he can play right away. Besides, he has big-time credibility, even though he had a bad "big game," so if he goes somewhere else, he'll want to be where NFL scouts will play close attention. But it shows the kind of mind-set that operates in cases like this.

The QB situation is: as far as quantity before Sneed's arrival is the same, one potential starter and one R-Frosh backup and a high school commitment in the fall.

With Jensen deciding to explore better options for himself after Sneed's arrival, the potential of a four year starter goes away with Jensen's departure and a skill player who didn't feel that UM was his best option with the current staff.

What was gained was a player with two years of eligibility who views UM as his best option.

There is time to bring additional players at QB for the fall or tryout current players on roster to fill additional needs at QB.

There has been a change of names, but the beat goes on. Each party did what was conceived to be best for themselves and the QB situation will continue to evolve.

I think we are set Sneed number one and Wilson, Graves and Hill battling for backup duties??? I'm sure Rosey and Hauck have a handle on it... Gresch will be doing mop up with Stitt somewhere...
RTD!
\Go Griz!

SoldierGriz said:
Dutch Lane said:
'68griz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Not accurate at all. NO drop down is going to come into here and expect to be QB2. they are only coming if they are gonna get a shot at #1. Coaches are NOT set on Sneed but Sneed was the QB1 after spring ball and that is what drove GJ away

And I don't think that's quite accurate. I'm not at all sure Gresch was given an "equal" chance to compete for the position in the first place. Bobby brought in his guy, and gave him all the "first shots." Gresch did just fine when he got to play with the 1's, but that was not the usual situation. I don't blame him at all for leaving. Who wants to stay when you're not wanted??

I watched the spring game and saw the stats I looks equal to me. Am I missing something else? Who wants to stay when they aren’t wanted? Huh he was wanted but so was Sneed the starter hadn’t been named and wouldn’t be named until fall ball and competition would always still continue through the season, right? Your are playing favorites for a guy that made a decision based on a rationale that none of are privy to. I hope we can get back to supporting the program going forward.

No one on here knows what we didn't see...who knows what the coaches saw beyond the field and stats...Winter conditioning etc.

So true!! Either way you feel about all doesn’t change the fact that it’s all just speculation from all of us!! GJ had a believer in me but now he’s gone. Someone else that wants to be here will step in and hopefully step up. Woulda shoulda coulda didn’t and here we are.

sdk.catfish said:
Post by MTGRZ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:49 pm

I think the coaches were all in on Sneed since they knew they were coming to Missoula. Not to diminish Sneed, but given all of Hauck's talk about how long it takes to build up the program I believe they see him as a bridge to the NEXT QB (who is probably a junior or senior in high school this year). Sneed is more familiar with the offense they want to run, AND he only has two years left-Jensen has three. Because Jensen has three years it would take longer to get "Bobby's guy" in at QB. This is all speculative and somewhat of a conspiracy. But I do think they are already looking past Sneed to bring the program to the level Hauck wants.

In my opinion the coaching staff has no clue as to what they want (except wins). You don't just let go a freshmen red shirt all-american QB go without a solid back-up plan but that is what they have done. Even if Sneed is moderately successful, and doesn't get hurt, he will not lead us to the promised land. I think you are all thinking that the past reputation of UM football will somehow result in a miracle recruit to change this. But nobody (in terms of real FCS championship QB skills) is coming here now. We had the best in terms of miracle recruits in Jensen and we basically sent him to the shit-pond in Bozeman (which might actually happen although GJ has much better opportunities including NDSU).

See here is where I will question you though.....you seem tied into the GJ situation via a relative or something like that as you stated earlier......but these releases from the UM and other schools state right in them they will NOT grant release to any other Big Sky School. So these players are forced to go out of conference or to a JUCO. You saying he may go to cats is actually not even possible due to release stipulations. So now I wonder now tied into the situation you really are.

My mistake - forgot his redshirt 2002 season. But anyone go thinks Ochs was a game manager is an idiot.

IdaGriz01 said:
MTGRZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
MTGRZ said:
So here's where we go from this point: Sneed is the presumed starter with Wilson and Graves as backups. Will we get a transfer? Hard to say. Others have mentioned a kid from Wisconsin who is set to transfer and has followed coach Green on twitter. Others have mentioned the name of a kid from Washington. Between the two it sounds like the Wisconsin kid is more likely, but by no means even close to a sure thing. ...

Go Griz
According to what someone posted on here earlier this evening , the Wisconsin kid doesn’t even have an offer from us at this point.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't 100% clear. I really meant it's a LONG SHOT for either of those, but the Wisconsin kid is at least following coach Green on twitter. That's about all I know, and apparently all that has transpired so far. Not going to hold my breath for a drop down, but it would certainly help!
Just out of curiosity, I did a search for "college quarterback competitions," restricting it to posts during the past month. I got a ton of hits.

There were five highlighted just among the FBS team in the state of Florida ... and lots more all across the FBS spectrum (Power-5 and elsewhere). They included an amazing number of cases where an "incumbent" (previous starter) is projected to lose out to a new guy. I'm beginning to think the possibility of a drop-down may be higher than we might otherwise expect, because some of the guys involved are seniors who would need to drop down so they could play right away.

[The plot thickens.]

FBS seniors can't drop down to FCS and play right away, unless they're graduate transfers. They need to have two years of eligibility remaining to make that move...unless the rule was just changed and I haven't heard about it.

bgbigdog said:
Bowmat said:
IMeanGrizness said:
Hauck has never recruited a good QB at Montana, he likes game managers not game changers.

Cole Bergquist

Craig Ochs - am assuming you might also enjoy consuming tide pods.

Bobby didn't recruit Ochs, Ochs approached Bobby...at least that's the way I remember Bobby telling it way back when.

Fahque said:
bgbigdog said:
Bowmat said:
IMeanGrizness said:
Hauck has never recruited a good QB at Montana, he likes game managers not game changers.

Cole Bergquist

Bobby didn't recruit Ochs, Ochs approached Bobby...at least that's the way I remember Bobby telling it way back when.

If I remember correctly, from what I've heard/read, it was Joe Glenn as HC at the time when Craig Ochs walked into his office and asked to transfer into the Montana program. This before Glenn took off to Wyoming and before Hauck was hired.

WyomingGrizFan said:
Fahque said:
bgbigdog said:
Bowmat said:
Cole Bergquist

If I remember correctly, from what I've heard/read, it was Joe Glenn as HC at the time when Craig Ochs walked into his office and asked to transfer into the Montana program. This before Glenn took off to Wyoming and before Hauck was hired.
Pretty sure it was Bobby. Glenn left immediately after the last game in 2002

Fahque said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
Fahque said:
bgbigdog said:

Pretty sure it was Bobby. Glenn left immediately after the last game in 2002

Ochs approached Glenn in about October of Glenn's last season.

Fahque said:
bgbigdog said:
Bowmat said:
IMeanGrizness said:

Cole Bergquist

If I recall, BH was involved in the scouting and recruitment of Ochs to Colorado.

Back