• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Quarterback Situation

IdaGriz01 said:
All right ... time for the thread sheriff to step in!

Okay, just kidding. I have no super-powers whatsoever. However, I was hoping that comments or comparisons to (that other guy) would stay on the other thread.

So I have a question for those who've actually seen Sneed, the current Griz QB1, play (as opposed to just on short videos). Is he really as inept on the deep ball as some on eGriz are saying? If so, it is a matter of arm strength (correctable, to some extent) or accuracy?
Bump. [Trying desperately to divert this thread from (that other guy), who has his own thread.]

Still looking for an answer: Is Sneed the guy, or do the Griz have to recruit a new starting QB to have any chance at all?

IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Okay, just kidding. I have no super-powers whatsoever. However, I was hoping that comments or comparisons to (that other guy) would stay on the other thread.

So I have a question for those who've actually seen Sneed, the current Griz QB1, play (as opposed to just on short videos). Is he really as inept on the deep ball as some on eGriz are saying? If so, it is a matter of arm strength (correctable, to some extent) or accuracy?
Bump. [Trying desperately to divert this thread from (that other guy), who has his own thread.]

Still looking for an answer: Is Sneed the guy, or do the Griz have to recruit a new starting QB to have any chance at all?

I think the coaches were all in on Sneed since they knew they were coming to Missoula. Not to diminish Sneed, but given all of Hauck's talk about how long it takes to build up the program I believe they see him as a bridge to the NEXT QB (who is probably a junior or senior in high school this year). Sneed is more familiar with the offense they want to run, AND he only has two years left-Jensen has three. Because Jensen has three years it would take longer to get "Bobby's guy" in at QB. This is all speculative and somewhat of a conspiracy. But I do think they are already looking past Sneed to bring the program to the level Hauck wants.

MTGRZ said:
IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I think the coaches were all in on Sneed since they knew they were coming to Missoula. Not to diminish Sneed, but given all of Hauck's talk about how long it takes to build up the program I believe they see him as a bridge to the NEXT QB (who is probably a junior or senior in high school this year). Sneed is more familiar with the offense they want to run, AND he only has two years left-Jensen has three. Because Jensen has three years it would take longer to get "Bobby's guy" in at QB. This is all speculative and somewhat of a conspiracy. But I do think they are already looking past Sneed to bring the program to the level Hauck wants.
That “Bobby Guy” is Garrett Graves! He will win games for the Griz!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

406 said:
MTGRZ said:
IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

That “Bobby Guy” is Garrett Graves! He will win games for the Griz!

I, for one, am hitching my wagon to Graves and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Post by MTGRZ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:49 pm

In my opinion the coaching staff has no clue as to what they want (except wins). You don't just let go a freshmen red shirt all-american QB go without a solid back-up plan but that is what they have done. Even if Sneed is moderately successful, and doesn't get hurt, he will not lead us to the promised land. I think you are all thinking that the past reputation of UM football will somehow result in a miracle recruit to change this. But nobody (in terms of real FCS championship QB skills) is coming here now. We had the best in terms of miracle recruits in Jensen and we basically sent him to the shit-pond in Bozeman (which might actually happen although GJ has much better opportunities including NDSU).

sdk.catfish said:

In my opinion the coaching staff has no clue as to what they want (except wins). You don't just let go a freshmen red shirt all-american QB go without a solid back-up plan but that is what they have done. Even if Sneed is moderately successful, and doesn't get hurt, he will not lead us to the promised land. I think you are all thinking that the past reputation of UM football will somehow result in a miracle recruit to change this. But nobody (in terms of real FCS championship QB skills) is coming here now. We had the best in terms of miracle recruits in Jensen and we basically sent him to the shit-pond in Bozeman (which might actually happen although GJ has much better opportunities including NDSU).

I can see from your other posts that you are pretty heated right now, and I don't blame you. What I will say is that I did not mention anywhere that I thought the decision to treat GJ like they did was a good idea. I bet the coaches are regretting that as we speak. I don't believe we will get a miracle recruit to fix this. I think Graves may be the answer, or another kid the next recruiting year. Like Bobby has said, and I have echoed on here many times before: It will take a few years (3-4) to get things in place for the kind of program we all want/expect.

It's impossible for us to know exactly what the coaches want; I was just putting forth a speculative reason why they did what they did. I hope GJ does well, and I hope he finds peace through all this crap. That being said, I do NOT want him in that shit pond near bozeman. He's too good for us to play once a year, let alone for the cats. It's a shame it happened like it did, but all we can do now is look forward.

So right now we have a quarterback who has limited Division 1 experience behind a totally green offensive line and we lost an freshman all American because the coach seemingly didn’t think he was the future. The missing link is wtf does the offense do if starter gets knocked out with an injury. Seems to me that had Bobby been a bit more accepting of the returning starter and not possibly alienated him maybe, just maybe, that competition between the two would have become a reality. Bobby named his starter the day he signed his contract....don’t fool yourself. Hell had Reese still been available the results would have been the same. I was giddy as hell when Hauck was hired but IMO he and rosenbach messed this up big!
With that said Go Griz!

So here's where we go from this point: Sneed is the presumed starter with Wilson and Graves as backups. Will we get a transfer? Hard to say. Others have mentioned a kid from Wisconsin who is set to transfer and has followed coach Green on twitter. Others have mentioned the name of a kid from Washington. Between the two it sounds like the Wisconsin kid is more likely, but by no means even close to a sure thing. With our new O-line I sure hope Sneed uses his feet well and knows how to slide and/or get out of bounds before a big hit. I would also guess the coaches will implement schemes that minimize chances of big hits on Sneed (roll outs, running plays, quick throws). It is certainly an area of Grave(s) concern (sorry I couldn't help myself), and I hope the coaches have learned something from this IF indeed they handled it poorly.

Go Griz

IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Diesel said:
RBs and LBs are interchangeable.

TEs, WRs and QBs are also interchangeable...we're good, there are several WRs in the pool, just convert two WRs to QB.

Miami is using a WR at QB.
The bobkittens got a RB playing QB and look how well they do.
A surprising number of FBS teams have guys playing QB who are generally better runners than passers. :lol:

Of course, those guys are at a higher level of overall athletic ability, surrounded by a much better supporting cast ... so it works.

Murray did pretty well against the Griz two years in a row. The Griz knew he was going to run and still couldn’t stop him. He is a talented guy.

Seems the opinion of many...
Bobby needs to learn to coddle and "give in" a bunch to the poor little guys...
they sure don't like watching players get their "feelings" hurt....

by Bear Axed » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Seems the opinion of many...
Bobby needs to learn to coddle and "give in" a bunch to the poor little guys...
they sure don't like watching players get their "feelings" hurt....

Not at all. Bobby needs to learn how to tactfully manage difficult situations to his advantage in a changing environment where players realize they have rights and options too. Losing a RSFreshmen All-American QB isn't just a pooh-pooh thing. These type of players don't come around often and give social media other recruits will be well alerted to the situation. Forget your macho for a while.

sdk.catfish said:
In my opinion the coaching staff has no clue as to what they want (except wins). You don't just let go a freshmen red shirt all-american QB go without a solid back-up plan but that is what they have done.

So are you saying that the coaches made no effort to keep Gresch?

MTGRZ said:
sdk.catfish said:

I can see from your other posts that you are pretty heated right now, and I don't blame you. What I will say is that I did not mention anywhere that I thought the decision to treat GJ like they did was a good idea. I bet the coaches are regretting that as we speak. I don't believe we will get a miracle recruit to fix this. I think Graves may be the answer, or another kid the next recruiting year. Like Bobby has said, and I have echoed on here many times before: It will take a few years (3-4) to get things in place for the kind of program we all want/expect.

It's impossible for us to know exactly what the coaches want; I was just putting forth a speculative reason why they did what they did. I hope GJ does well, and I hope he finds peace through all this crap. That being said, I do NOT want him in that shit pond near bozeman. He's too good for us to play once a year, let alone for the cats. It's a shame it happened like it did, but all we can do now is look forward.

I don’t get how Stitt says the same thing, felt year 4 was time, yet everyone is fine and dandy with rob saying 5he same thing and nobody bats an eye. For all those holding his sack in their hand, you have to admit this was handled poorly. Would love to see GJ at NDSU. That’d be hilarious.

by HelenaHandBasket » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Yes, beyond the "I hear what you are saying but disagree". There could have been a plan, agreed to by both players and coaches that would have leveled the table but there was no attempt. So long, hope we find some new top notch recruits to fuck over in the future. Good plan for RTD

sdk.catfish said:
by HelenaHandBasket » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:59 pm

There could have been a plan, agreed to by both players and coaches that would have leveled the table but there was no attempt.

So they didn't coddle him? Not sure what else "leveling the table" could mean.

MTGRZ said:
So here's where we go from this point: Sneed is the presumed starter with Wilson and Graves as backups. Will we get a transfer? Hard to say. Others have mentioned a kid from Wisconsin who is set to transfer and has followed coach Green on twitter. Others have mentioned the name of a kid from Washington. Between the two it sounds like the Wisconsin kid is more likely, but by no means even close to a sure thing. With our new O-line I sure hope Sneed uses his feet well and knows how to slide and/or get out of bounds before a big hit. I would also guess the coaches will implement schemes that minimize chances of big hits on Sneed (roll outs, running plays, quick throws). It is certainly an area of Grave(s) concern (sorry I couldn't help myself), and I hope the coaches have learned something from this IF indeed they handled it poorly.

Go Griz
According to what someone posted on here earlier this evening , the Wisconsin kid doesn’t even have an offer from us at this point.

AZGrizFan said:
MTGRZ said:

Go Griz
According to what someone posted on here earlier this evening , the Wisconsin kid doesn’t even have an offer from us at this point.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't 100% clear. I really meant it's a LONG SHOT for either of those, but the Wisconsin kid is at least following coach Green on twitter. That's about all I know, and apparently all that has transpired so far. Not going to hold my breath for a drop down, but it would certainly help!

MTGRZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
MTGRZ said:
So here's where we go from this point: Sneed is the presumed starter with Wilson and Graves as backups. Will we get a transfer? Hard to say. Others have mentioned a kid from Wisconsin who is set to transfer and has followed coach Green on twitter. Others have mentioned the name of a kid from Washington. Between the two it sounds like the Wisconsin kid is more likely, but by no means even close to a sure thing. ...

Go Griz

Yeah, I guess I wasn't 100% clear. I really meant it's a LONG SHOT for either of those, but the Wisconsin kid is at least following coach Green on twitter. That's about all I know, and apparently all that has transpired so far. Not going to hold my breath for a drop down, but it would certainly help!
Just out of curiosity, I did a search for "college quarterback competitions," restricting it to posts during the past month. I got a ton of hits.

There were five highlighted just among the FBS team in the state of Florida ... and lots more all across the FBS spectrum (Power-5 and elsewhere). They included an amazing number of cases where an "incumbent" (previous starter) is projected to lose out to a new guy. I'm beginning to think the possibility of a drop-down may be higher than we might otherwise expect, because some of the guys involved are seniors who would need to drop down so they could play right away.

[The plot thickens.]

IdaGriz01 said:
MTGRZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
MTGRZ said:
So here's where we go from this point: Sneed is the presumed starter with Wilson and Graves as backups. Will we get a transfer? Hard to say. Others have mentioned a kid from Wisconsin who is set to transfer and has followed coach Green on twitter. Others have mentioned the name of a kid from Washington. Between the two it sounds like the Wisconsin kid is more likely, but by no means even close to a sure thing. ...

Go Griz

Just out of curiosity, I did a search for "college quarterback competitions," restricting it to posts during the past month. I got a ton of hits.

There were five highlighted just among the FBS team in the state of Florida ... and lots more all across the FBS spectrum (Power-5 and elsewhere). They included an amazing number of cases where an "incumbent" (previous starter) is projected to lose out to a new guy. I'm beginning to think the possibility of a drop-down may be higher than we might otherwise expect, because some of the guys involved are seniors who would need to drop down so they could play right away.

[The plot thickens.]

Good point all around. After listening to the radio show posted earlier with Tootell and Nuanez i'm starting to think this isn't AS big a deal as many have made it to be. Is it bad for us that he left? Yes, is it unheard of? No. Like you said, there may be plenty of other guys looking for a shot to compete this year.

Go Griz!

Latest posts

Back