• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Quarterback Situation

Paytonlives said:
Gresh surprised me

However, he did not look comfortable in the scrimmage and he appeared to be sucking.

Look, Stitt and Hauck are near complete opposites.

Stitt- "It's alright, get em next time"
Hauck "Pull your head out of your ass"

Some dudes just can't handle hard nosed coaches.

Ohhhh.... that's how it went down... :roll:

You have no idea how this went down or what happened behind the scenes.

Way to speculate to attack a kid's toughness though...

Yukon said:
So, some feel the season is over because our QB2 left the program? :lol:

It is if there's not a capable backup signed between now and fall ball. Unless you have ultimate faith in Tanner Wilson or Garrett Graves.

AZGrizFan said:
Yukon said:

It is if there's not a capable backup signed between now and fall ball. Unless you have ultimate faith in Tanner Wilson or Garrett Graves.
My belief is that we see another capable backup sign.

Yukon wrote: ↑Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:28 am

by AZGrizFan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:45 am

Certainly a possibility. Without an incoming transfer one would also need ultimate faith that Sneed isn't injured over the course of the entire season and he shows greater potential than he did at JC. The transfer situation is interesting? I probably am not seeing the entire picture but why would someone really good want to transfer into a situation where he isn't going to play much? I believe that is close to the situation we had with Jensen and you saw what happened there. It is a shame we may have to use a scholarship on a "capable backup" but certainly agree with AZ that there is potential danger in the current situation.

behappp said:
uofmman1122 said:
It's probably nothing, but Karé Lyles, the soon-to-be-transfer QB from Wisconsin, is following some Griz coaches.

Kare' tweeted about Sneed coming to the Griz in February. A Sophomore...may be just what we need as we need someone!

https://twitter.com/klyles9/status/961325651562258432

So maybe the answer to the ultimate question is Sneed was ok being first or second backup to the incoming FBS drop down but Jensen wasn't. Hmmmmm.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
If (When) Bobby finds a transfer/dropdown, what happens to Sneed? I mean what kind of message are delivering to Sneed if you bring in a dropdown?

The same he sent to Jensen

I don't think so. I think Sneed is "the chosen one." If/When another QB is brought in, it will be with the understanding that he is the back-up -- and I honestly don't know why any kid who believes in himself would come under those circumstances. That's the conundrum I think has been created with Gresch's departure.

'68griz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:
If (When) Bobby finds a transfer/dropdown, what happens to Sneed? I mean what kind of message are delivering to Sneed if you bring in a dropdown?

If/When another QB is brought in, it will be with the understanding that he is the back-up -- and I honestly don't know why any kid who believes in himself would come under those circumstances.

That’s not likely to happen because those aren’t the pictures that college coaches paint. The goal of recruiting is to find better players than the ones currently on the team. Hauck brings in guys to compete. If he can find someone who is better than what he has now, he’s going to tell them they have a chance to be the guy. Because you’re right, telling some kid he’d backup someone is pretty close to stupid.

Who was the QB before Berquist?
Who was the QB before Edwards?
Who was the QB before Selle?
Bobby changes positions as to who can get it done.
When did Ochs come in, did he start right away?
I can't remember other QB's from past Bobby years off the top of my head, but there were several dropdowns/transfers whatever who didn't play right away, they had to earn a spot too.

'68griz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:

I don't think so. I think Sneed is "the chosen one." If/When another QB is brought in, it will be with the understanding that he is the back-up -- and I honestly don't know why any kid who believes in himself would come under those circumstances. That's the conundrum I think has been created with Gresch's departure.

Not accurate at all. NO drop down is going to come into here and expect to be QB2. they are only coming if they are gonna get a shot at #1. Coaches are NOT set on Sneed but Sneed was the QB1 after spring ball and that is what drove GJ away

mtgrizfankb said:
'68griz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:

Not accurate at all. NO drop down is going to come into here and expect to be QB2. they are only coming if they are gonna get a shot at #1. Coaches are NOT set on Sneed but Sneed was the QB1 after spring ball and that is what drove GJ away

And I don't think that's quite accurate. I'm not at all sure Gresch was given an "equal" chance to compete for the position in the first place. Bobby brought in his guy, and gave him all the "first shots." Gresch did just fine when he got to play with the 1's, but that was not the usual situation. I don't blame him at all for leaving. Who wants to stay when you're not wanted??

mtgrizfankb said:
'68griz said:
... I don't think so. I think Sneed is "the chosen one." If/When another QB is brought in, it will be with the understanding that he is the back-up -- and I honestly don't know why any kid who believes in himself would come under those circumstances. That's the conundrum I think has been created with Gresch's departure.
There's no question that, with (that other guy) leaving, Sneed is QB1. But, IMO, the picture is not really that bleak in terms of a drop-down versus juco transfer. Just think about a drop-down with bona fide success at the FBS level -- maybe started a bunch of games, did pretty well, but gets beat out by a new hot-shot recruit. Or maybe the coach changed there too, and the new guy has his preferred QB1 (sound familiar?), which ain't the (potential) drop-down guy. He's gonna look at Sneed's stats and say, "Well Hell, I I can beat his ass out any day of the week!"

'68griz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
'68griz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

And I don't think that's quite accurate. I'm not at all sure Gresch was given an "equal" chance to compete for the position in the first place. Bobby brought in his guy, and gave him all the "first shots." Gresch did just fine when he got to play with the 1's, but that was not the usual situation. I don't blame him at all for leaving. Who wants to stay when you're not wanted??

I watched the spring game and saw the stats I looks equal to me. Am I missing something else? Who wants to stay when they aren’t wanted? Huh he was wanted but so was Sneed the starter hadn’t been named and wouldn’t be named until fall ball and competition would always still continue through the season, right? Your are playing favorites for a guy that made a decision based on a rationale that none of are privy to. I hope we can get back to supporting the program going forward.

How could anyone not support the program, especially, since the first game hasn’t been played?
Bobby and his coaches will have an excellent team that will surprise many of you and they will be well coached in all segments of the game. Yes, even Special Teams.

All right ... time for the thread sheriff to step in!

Okay, just kidding. I have no super-powers whatsoever. However, I was hoping that comments or comparisons to (that other guy) would stay on the other thread.

So I have a question for those who've actually seen Sneed, the current Griz QB1, play (as opposed to just on short videos). Is he really as inept on the deep ball as some on eGriz are saying? If so, it is a matter of arm strength (correctable, to some extent) or accuracy?

Dutch Lane said:
'68griz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
'68griz said:

I watched the spring game and saw the stats I looks equal to me. Am I missing something else? Who wants to stay when they aren’t wanted? Huh he was wanted but so was Sneed the starter hadn’t been named and wouldn’t be named until fall ball and competition would always still continue through the season, right? Your are playing favorites for a guy that made a decision based on a rationale that none of are privy to. I hope we can get back to supporting the program going forward.

No one on here knows what we didn't see...who knows what the coaches saw beyond the field and stats...Winter conditioning etc.

Latest posts

Back