• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Rumor: to 1-A

GB1, the bowl payouts would be icing, as the payouts from playing any 1-A school would be an increase from what the Griz get now. Also, the Griz would not be at a disadvantage recruiting because the pool of student athletes would become larger, and the Griz would be dipping into the young men that now sign with Idaho, Boise, Nevada, San Jose. St, and Utah St. as the players signing with the Washington's and Oregon's will still do so.

Think of how many more actual students would come to the games if we were 1-A. I personally knew at least 20 students who had money who never went to a game or went to 1-2 games over 4 years because they thought 1-AA was a joke. I'm sure that out of the 12,000+ students at UM, we can somehow manage to fill the stadium.

Think about what the school will gain academically from moving up. More people would apply to the school just because of the 1-A factor. More applicants means admissions have to be more selective, means we get better students.

MSU has to move up with us? Where does that logic come from?
Parking? You made me laugh with that one.
Lights? We had lights for the NH game. Was that really that hard?

People will stop coming to games if we lose? We had a crap season season last year, people are still gonna be at the games this year. What about all the people we gain by simply being 1-A?
There sure are a lot of pu$$ies on this board.

Maybe it's time for Dennison to go if he's so unwilling to change. You know UM's endowment is only $9,000,000? That's f@(king embarrassing.

GB1, I realize it would take more money, but my point is that the gap is not as large as many say, and that in the long run a better option for the Griz athletic department.

IDAHO, IDAHO, IDAHO, IDAHO! That is all you need to look at. We are NOT better than UI. They were competing at the top of I-AA when they left and they averaged 12,000 fans last year. The same WOULD happen in Missoula, bet on it. It would be fun for a couple of years to have the better known teams come to Missoula and vice versa but that only lasts so long.

There sure are some fucking idiots on this board. We would get absolutley wacked at IA football. As for the argument that is would maybe help men's or women's basketball teams receive a possible at large bid is also bullshit. Take for example the Missouri Valley Conference this year: they have five teams ranked in the top 50 for rpi, and they will be lucky to get two teams in. The wac will play out like the bsc, one bid for automatic winner.

GB1,
Do you hate Missoula so much that you think kids would rather play ball in Pullman, Corvallis, Moscow, wherever the hell half the other teams in west that are 1-A play? Have a little faith in Missoula man! That city is a HUGE recruiting advantage.

Chi-towngrizzly said:
GB1,
Do you hate Missoula so much that you think kids would rather play ball in Pullman, Corvallis, Moscow, wherever the hell half the other teams in west that are 1-A play? Have a little faith in Missoula man! That city is a HUGE recruiting advantage.

Chi,

Your 2 posts do not warrant a response. Hate Missoula? Are you really as ignorant as you seem?

GB1,
I'm ignorant because I know Missoula is a huge recruting tool? You just proved my point. As per your quote, should I have the secretary disavow all knowledge of you? Your argument has failed.

Grizindahouse said:
GrizFan10 said:
I "just laugh" when I-A lovers assume UM can immediately compete at the top of a conference like the WAC, could raise the significant amount of funds necessary to establish new sports and build new facilities to go I-A, would immediately got large pots of new money from being in I-A, and would not have a dropoff eventually in attendance if/when the team started having seasons with more than 3 losses. Just the large drop in the number of Montana kids (currently 50-60 on roster, and 14 out of 26 starters last year) would cause some decline in interest and attendance to drop, which combined with more losses and no playoffs, would more than offset the increase in interest caused by playing I-A teams (most of which are fairly mediocre), in my view. And don't try arguing that it wouldn't cost much money to go I-A, because the athletic dept. has already said it would. And don't try arguing that our athletic budget and attendance are already larger than some I-A schools, because we're already spending that money and close to maxing out on attendance, and would need significant incremental funds to go to I-A. "Jeez."

I realize it would take more money. What new facilities would the University need to compete in the WAC? Each school in the WAC received $375,000 from the football bowl revenue. The football program would also recieve more money from playing 1-A nonconference games, not just one game like now, but several as 1-A pay 1-A for games a much prettier amount than a 1-AA will pay a 1-AA. Also, the WAC usually has 2-3 teams in the NCAA tournament and has had a team advance in each of the last 11 years. This would increase a the share of revenue from 1 share (Big Sky currently) to 3-4 shares that would be split between the teams. I will also note that the same would apply to women but on a smaller scale. Currently the University of Montana has an athletic budget on par with 75%, if not more of the WAC schools. I am also confident that right from the start the Griz could be a middle of the road WAC football program, with the likes of Idaho, Utah St. New Mexico St, and San Jose St, and the pool of interested student athletes growing for the program.

Grizinda,

I don't see beiong middle of the road as something to aspire to quite frankly. To be on par with Utah State, NMSU, SJSU, and Idaho is football is really helping me make my point. Who the hell wants to watch that? Fans would be dropping season tickets like there was a ticker tape parade.

Remember Dave Dickenson amd Tim Hauck? They would never have the opportunity at D1 Montana. Nor would the vast majority of Montana HS athletes.

If moving up is such a grand thing, why is it Carroll College hasn't been clamoring to be D1AA? After all, they must be bored winning 4 straight National Championships.

I am not trying to be condescending at all, I am simply trying to point out how ridiculous this excersise even is. People are addressing the msu issue with who cares, what is the logic, and things like that. If one doesn't understand the implications msu has in this, they cannot grasp the concept to begin with.

Giorgio, the WAC has not had only 1 team get in the NCAA tourney in a long time. The WAC will have at least two teams in this year, like pretty much every year.

Why doesn't Idaho play us anymore? why would mid major I-A teams never consider scheduling us? It's because they don't want to give us a check to whoop their ass.

To anyone that says we wouldn't be a middle of the pack WAC team off the bat is underestimating the Griz and overestimating these I-A schools. The talent level between us and the WAC is not far off. Give us 20 more scholarship athletes and we'd be even better yet.

and if you would seriously quit coming to games if the Griz lost 5 or 6 games then you are a clown and don't give a shit about quality football. Let's just keep playing Fort Lewis with their 9 scholarships and we can win each game by 56 and pretend we're the best football team in the country...or at least Missoula.

Grizbacker1-

Your argument about no MT kids playing for the Griz if they moved up to IA is way off base.

There would be the same amount of kids recruited from MT by the Griz as there currently are. The Griz, if they were IA this year, would still go after the kids we went after this year from MT. The differnce would be that we would have about 10 more scholarships that we would spend on out of state guys.

That is the beauty of IA recruiting, you get to take a few chances on guys. There is more room for error in recruiting.

But do you really think that if the Griz were IA, and took a shot on Tim Hauck or DD, that they would have rode the pine their four years here?? Are you that crazy? Or are you hell bent on arguing?

We are not that far behind ANYBODY in the WAC! Yes, I think that we could win the WAC with a core of MT Kids. Heck, I'd like our chances against anybody in the WAC next year.... and we have a core of MT Kids.

Having said that, I hope we stay in IAA as long as possible. :party:

Turd Ferguson said:
Why doesn't Idaho play us anymore? why would mid major I-A teams never consider scheduling us? It's because they don't want to give us a check to whoop their ass.

To anyone that says we wouldn't be a middle of the pack WAC team off the bat is underestimating the Griz and overestimating these I-A schools. The talent level between us and the WAC is not far off. Give us 20 more scholarship athletes and we'd be even better yet.

and if you would seriously quit coming to games if the Griz lost 5 or 6 games then you are a clown and don't give a shit about quality football. Let's just keep playing Fort Lewis with their 9 scholarships and we can win each game by 56 and pretend we're the best football team in the country...or at least Missoula.

TF,

I was going when it was in Dornblaser, were you? If you think some of these fans will keep coming when the Griz go 5-5, think again. Calling them names won't fill seats or pay any of the bills. The fact is, there are a ton of these people there that are only going because it is a winning program and it is cool. Beating Idaho is no biggie, we already can do that.

Grizbacker1 said:
Turd Ferguson said:

TF,

I was going when it was in Dornblaser, were you? If you think some of these fans will keep coming when the Griz go 5-5, think again. Calling them names won't fill seats or pay any of the bills. The fact is, there are a ton of these people there that are only going because it is a winning program and it is cool. Beating Idaho is no biggie, we already can do that.

I know we can already beat Idaho. That's what I'm saying. We can also beat other WAC schools right now, and when we get 20 more scholarships we will be that much better.

Missoula isn't your average fairweather football town where people will attend a game if the team is good. Missoula is a college football town. That's what people do in the fall in Missoula is college football. People love the atmosphere. Kids want to come see skydivers and monte ride motorcycles and helicoptors. People come to root on the Griz whether they are undefeated or not. I think last season broke records for attendance and that says a lot. If you think Missoula or WGS will become a ghost town on saturday afternoons if we aren't beating poor D-II's to death, than you are wrong.

papagorgio said:
There sure are some f*****g idiots on this board. We would get absolutley wacked at IA football. As for the argument that is would maybe help men's or women's basketball teams receive a possible at large bid is also bullshit. Take for example the Missouri Valley Conference this year: they have five teams ranked in the top 50 for rpi, and they will be lucky to get two teams in. The wac will play out like the bsc, one bid for automatic winner.

Spoken like a true a$$hole.

And I also disagree that we would get "wacked" by anybody in the WAC, which last I checked had a few teams in the top 25.

You do not give the Griz or IAA enough credit. I'm not saying we could win a National championship... we never would, (unless there was a playoff system in place).... but we would be VERY competative in the WAC next year. And we would get to some legit bowl games.

Oh... and BSU played Boston freakin College in their bowl game last year....... Which one of you wouldn't want a chance to play them in a bowl?

I am starting to agree with Chitown's comment about the "pussies".

Turd Ferguson said:
Grizbacker1 said:
Turd Ferguson said:

TF,

I know we can already beat Idaho. That's what I'm saying. We can also beat other WAC schools right now, and when we get 20 more scholarships we will be that much better.

Missoula isn't your average fairweather football town where people will attend a game if the team is good. Missoula is a college football town. That's what people do in the fall in Missoula is college football. People love the atmosphere. Kids want to come see skydivers and monte ride motorcycles and helicoptors. People come to root on the Griz whether they are undefeated or not. I think last season broke records for attendance and that says a lot. If you think Missoula or WGS will become a ghost town on saturday afternoons if we aren't beating poor D-II's to death, than you are wrong.

Missoula doesn't have fairweather fans? Are you serious? You might want to rewrite the history books before someone checks them. I don't know how many years you have been going and I don't mean any disrespect TF, but Griz football has not always been the phenomenom it is now. Basketball was KING for many years, you had to get to the gym 5 hours early to get a seat as a student. The the Griz started losing and guess what, fans quit going. Trust me, Griz fans, especially the new and the young ones have no idea how fickle fans can be. go ahead and say they are idiots, stupid, dumbasses, whatver the name du jour is, that won't put them in the seats if they don't like the product on the field.

I am going to say it again, what about msu? Not one person has answered the question, I wonder why?

Putter, I feel the reason Idaho has struggled with the transition has much more do to joining the Sunbelt Conference. If Idaho had been able to make the move straight to the WAC, I truly believe that their program would be much better than what it is now.

GB1, my comparison to the bottom WAC schools is where I believe that Montana could compete right away, first 1-3 years. I also believe that within a reasonable time frame, the Griz could compete with Boise, Nevada, Fresno, and Hawaii.

Grizindahouse said:
Putter, I feel the reason Idaho has struggled with the transition has much more do to joining the Sunbelt Conference. If Idaho had been able to make the move straight to the WAC, I truly believe that their program would be much better than what it is now.

GB1, my comparison to the bottom WAC schools is where I believe that Montana could compete right away, first 1-3 years. I also believe that within a reasonable time frame, the Griz could compete with Boise, Nevada, Fresno, and Hawaii.

Grizin,

Thanks for helping make my point. 3 years of futility opens the barn door. Fans used to the success we now have would be calling for heads to roll. people that used to make the 5 hour drive one way now have "other plans"., corporate donors now look long and hard it budget time, advertisers wonder if they "aregetting the bang for their buck", the list is endless. If you don't believe me, ask Harley Lewis what happens when you begin losing. Ask Dave Guffey, Al Kempfert, and others that have seen both sides from within the Athletic Dept.

GB1, I agree there are fairweather fans, but I do not think that you will see the number of people going to games drop to nothing in 3 years. And when the Griz start having 7-4, 8-3, 8-4 seasons playing the likes of Nevada, Boise, and the rest of the WAC starting in season 3-4, they will be back. I truly think you underestimate the fans, heck, they are showing up in droves for the current 8-4 seasons.

We will not be top dog every year if we opt to stay where we are. The odds are against it.

This probably has gone on too long but I just have to laugh at the logic being displayed on this thread.

And I suppose we'll be 'top-dog' in the WAC with trumpets blaring upon our arrival. We'll be top dog in 1-AA as long as we want to do it.

When they give us 20 more scholarships...

Bucko, you got to fund them with the butts you put in the seats and the Grizzly Scholarship Association members you have before you can put them on the field. We are stretched to do that right now. The WAC isn't gonna fund them. We probably make more $$ playing an occasional 1-A teams each year than Idaho gets from their vaunted TV rights! Honestly, have you ever watched and Idaho-WAC-SunBelt game on TV? Somebody talked about losing home games in 1-A. You betcha. Some years Idaho had four.

Do you guys realize that we have only something over 2,000 GSA members right now? They are funding about 1/2 of our scholarships for all sports.

Now if somebody out there can put the $$$ numbers on the table I might start taking you seriously. I've watched the numbers for the last 6 years and, without some magic, there is no way. My :twocents:

Tom

Back