• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Rumor: to 1-A

I find it interesting that several posters have mentioned that the topic has been beat to death and it is not interesting. If you look at the recent post topics it by far has generated the most discussion.

I used to be dead set against a move up, but if we continue to grow and continue to build our program, at some point UM will need to move up or become a joke (The biggest fish in a small pond). In many ways we are already seen by some as a 1-A program playing 1-AA. I would just hate to lose the playoffs, but the opportunity to play home games against teams like BSU, Wyoming, UH would be pretty cool. I think those type of home games would be a bigger deal than many think.

Grizindahouse said:
GB1, I agree there are fairweather fans, but I do not think that you will see the number of people going to games drop to nothing in 3 years. And when the Griz start having 7-4, 8-3, 8-4 seasons playing the likes of Nevada, Boise, and the rest of the WAC starting in season 3-4, they will be back. I truly think you underestimate the fans, heck, they are showing up in droves for the current 8-4 seasons.

I didn't say it would drop to nothing, but in 3 years you coul deasily lose 10,000 fans. How do you know we would ever get to 8-3 seasons? It is kind of like a stock warning, where they tell you past results are not an indication or guarantee of future success. Idaho was a dominant 1AA team, there can be no arguement about that. They went to a conference not nearly as tough as the WAC and look at the results.

I still am waiting for someone to fully address how the Griz are going to be allowed to move up and not take msu with them. I have asked about 6 times and all I get are smart ass comments like it isn't an issue. Trust me, it is probably by far the biggest hurdle that will stop this from ever happenning. While you are at it, tell me when we are going to allow multi year contracts, that discussion is well over 20 years old now.

GB1, Idaho joining the WAC killed their ability to recruit, and other schools in the west used it against them. If Idaho had been in the position to join the WAC from the beginning, they would indeed be better.

Grizindahouse said:
GB1, Idaho joining the WAC killed their ability to recruit, and other schools in the west used it against them. If Idaho had been in the position to join the WAC from the beginning, they would indeed be better.

I have tried to answer your questions, any chance you could give mine a shot??

Somewhere back in the bowels of this thread was a discussion of Montana players and that the likes of Dave Dickinson would not have made it to the Griz if we had been 1-A. Someone else poo-poo-ed that thought.

Consider this though: Oregon, who we played last fall, admittedly in a state we used to recruit heavily from, has less than 35% of their kids from Oregon; Montana last year ~55% Montanans. Don't know what Idaho's numbers are.

Why is that important? We are a still a pretty provincial bunch here in Montana, proud of our kids and we like to see our guys and gals beat the big-town out-of-staters at their own game. Just my :twocents: again.

Tom

grizzfan said:
Somewhere back in the bowels of this thread was a discussion of Montana players and that the likes of Dave Dickinson would not have made it to the Griz if we had been 1-A. Someone else poo-poo-ed that thought.

Consider this though: Oregon, who we played last fall, admittedly in a state we used to recruit heavily from, has less than 35% of their kids from Oregon; Montana last year ~55% Montanans. Don't know what Idaho's numbers are.

Why is that important? We are a still a pretty provincial bunch here in Montana, proud of our kids and we like to see our guys and gals beat the big-town out-of-staters at their own game. Just my :twocents: again.

Tom

Good take Tom! If people think we are going to be a top WAC team and still take as many MT kids, or more, as some predict, they are smoking something.

I have absolutely NO interest in being a middle-of-the-road WAC school. I am completely happy being right where we are, one of the top I-AA schools in the nation. And, until that changes, I don't want to even consider anything different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grizbacker1 said:
Turd Ferguson said:
Grizbacker1 said:
Turd Ferguson said:
Why doesn't Idaho play us anymore? why would mid major I-A teams never consider scheduling us? It's because they don't want to give us a check to whoop their ass.

To anyone that says we wouldn't be a middle of the pack WAC team off the bat is underestimating the Griz and overestimating these I-A schools. The talent level between us and the WAC is not far off. Give us 20 more scholarship athletes and we'd be even better yet.

and if you would seriously quit coming to games if the Griz lost 5 or 6 games then you are a clown and don't give a shit about quality football. Let's just keep playing Fort Lewis with their 9 scholarships and we can win each game by 56 and pretend we're the best football team in the country...or at least Missoula.

TF,

I was going when it was in Dornblaser, were you? If you think some of these fans will keep coming when the Griz go 5-5, think again. Calling them names won't fill seats or pay any of the bills. The fact is, there are a ton of these people there that are only going because it is a winning program and it is cool. Beating Idaho is no biggie, we already can do that.

I know we can already beat Idaho. That's what I'm saying. We can also beat other WAC schools right now, and when we get 20 more scholarships we will be that much better.

Missoula isn't your average fairweather football town where people will attend a game if the team is good. Missoula is a college football town. That's what people do in the fall in Missoula is college football. People love the atmosphere. Kids want to come see skydivers and monte ride motorcycles and helicoptors. People come to root on the Griz whether they are undefeated or not. I think last season broke records for attendance and that says a lot. If you think Missoula or WGS will become a ghost town on saturday afternoons if we aren't beating poor D-II's to death, than you are wrong.

Missoula doesn't have fairweather fans? Are you serious? You might want to rewrite the history books before someone checks them. I don't know how many years you have been going and I don't mean any disrespect TF, but Griz football has not always been the phenomenom it is now. Basketball was KING for many years, you had to get to the gym 5 hours early to get a seat as a student. The the Griz started losing and guess what, fans quit going. Trust me, Griz fans, especially the new and the young ones have no idea how fickle fans can be. go ahead and say they are idiots, stupid, dumbasses, whatver the name du jour is, that won't put them in the seats if they don't like the product on the field.

I am going to say it again, what about msu? Not one person has answered the question, I wonder why?

Nobody gives a shit about MSU. There's your answer.

What if the Griz were a TOP level WAC team would that be interesting? Would non-league HOME games against Wyoming, Washington State, Oregon State, BYU, Colorado State or Air Force be interesting? Would interacting with those fans before a game at WA-Griz be interesting?

Just curious?

Turd Ferguson said:
I am going to say it again, what about msu? Not one person has answered the question, I wonder why?

Nobody gives a shit about MSU. There's your answer.[/quote]To cut that argument short, the regents do and they sign the checks. UM won't be going anywhere if the regents say know

NavyBlue said:
What if the Griz were a TOP level WAC team would that be interesting? Would non-league HOME games against Wyoming, Washington State, Oregon State, BYU, Colorado State or Air Force be interesting? Would interacting with those fans before a game at WA-Griz be interesting?

Just curious?

That WOULD be VERY interesting. But there is no room for optimism on this thread, Blue. We won't be like Boise, or Marshal, or one of the many teams that actually challenge themselves and has some success. We'll be just like IDAHO. We'll go 0-11 and nobody will come to the games.

You know, grizbacker1 deserves a bit more considered answer. For one I do care about the Bobcats and, if we went 1-A and they didn't, guess who'd get the majority of Montana athletes, because obviously as some say, they aren't good enough to play at 1-A level.

If they also went 1-A we'd leave even more Montana out of Division 1 football by my reconning. So it's lose, lose for most Montana Athletes. 'Course they could always go to Carroll, Tech, Western, etc.

Are these people somehow superior to fans from MSU, New Hampshire, Maine, Sam Houston, Cal Poly, Appy State, Georgia Southern, Hofsra, Idaho State, NAU, and on and on fans? I may be provincial, but the argument above is sounding a bit elitist. I sit right across the isle from the visiting team fans on the 20 yard line and folks is folks. I interact positively all game long with them too. There are great people from all over America and that's what we get in 1-AA: All Over America!

Tom

NavyBlue said:

Just curious?

All I can say to that dream is "if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass so much" It just isn't going to happen so I am not going to speculate on what if.

Turd Ferguson wrote:

TF,

You may feel that way, but trust me, nothing and I mean nothing, is going to happen with Griz football that has anything to do with moving up that doesn't also include msu. You don't have to like it, but it is the plain and simple truth. That was a really impressive answer you gave though. :lame:

I'd rather go 7-5 in the WAC than 11-1 in the Big Sky.

I am freaking tired of playing teams who have the facilities equivelent to CMR's. Portland State is even thinking of dropping football, and adding Norther Colorado? WTF. We have obviously grown out of a league that is getting weaker (no offense to EWU or MSU)

MSU worries me though, would hate to lose that rivalry. They don't have the facilities or funding to move up.

HighLineGRIZ said:
I'd rather go 7-5 in the WAC than 11-1 in the Big Sky.

I am freaking tired of playing teams who have the facilities equivelent to CMR's. Portland State is even thinking of dropping football, and adding Norther Colorado? WTF. We have obviously grown out of a league that is getting weaker (no offense to EWU or MSU)

MSU worries me though, would hate to lose that rivalry. They don't have the facilities or funding to move up.

I couldn't agree more. Regular season games would be much more exciting at the next level. And I'd rather go to a bowl game and play against some of the best than the overhyped playoff. UNC's stadium holds like 6,000 and their basketball team was like 0-15 at one point or something like that, yet they are Big Sky Material and North Dakota State is not? I don't get it. The geographical arguement doesn't work for me.

What is it you people who are in love with the idea about D1 don't understand? You cannot just ignore msu on this. IF and it is a humongous IF, the Griz ever went D1, guess what, msu would be going D1 too. It will NEVER happen without them, you can take that to the bank!

I have to agree with Grizbacker 100% on this thread.

How many will make the drive of 2, 3, or 4 hours to see the Griz in a losing season? When revenues for UM Football decline, what will the regents think, since ours is what has kept it all afloat for all sports at all Montana schools?

Keep us at I-AA. As for you proponents of moving up to I-A - when you win the $350+ Million Powerball and can cough up the money for the leap...

Also, consider:

- No more I-A dropdowns
- A 6-5 season could be a great season
- for every football scholarship that you add, you will have to add another women's scholarship - so, double your money. Are you donating now?
- No more play-offs

As ReMax stated - the discussion cannot even begin until the debt is paid off. Cough up some more of those winnings...

So you won't come to see the Griz play a top 25 Fresno or Boise team with home field advantage, a close competitive good game, but you will drive to see us play D-II games that are over before they start? I have to question if the people that say this stuff actually apreciate football. Bringing in a team from colorago that has 9 scholarships to WGS so we can essentially rape the shit out them because they are lower on the college football food-chain and we can make an easy dollar is not competition. I didn't enjoy that Fort lewis game at all. I don't know about you guys.

Back