• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gustafson Added to Watch List

G-BEARS said:
Diesel said:
CV Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
If Gus can drop and set-up in his spot and throw, he has success but if he is forced to move even a tiny bit, the shit show ensues. The guy is a freaking statue that has no ability to function outside of 7v7.

Potentially, that's a problem for the Griz from here on out. The defensive blueprint to stop BG is now etched in stone. He'll have to beat the pressure now or it will continue to come fast and furious.....
Don't think that would be a new blueprint, every QB has issues when pressured. Do think his delivery is sometimes slow and he is taking too long to pull trigger here and there. Give him credit for post throws and slants the last couple of games. The left side post looked horrible and screen to left was bad, these can be cleaned up like other passing issues he has had.

Liked the remark about Palmer when Carrol was coach at USC. Pete told Carson he was over preparing for the defense. He wanted him to keep things simple and just play the game. At times BG thinks too much instead of pulling the trigger. Classic example was fourth down, set up fake WR screen to left with Bingham faking block, DB took bate shot for screen and Bingham was wide open early, BG hesitated as he stared Bingham down threw late and high. It was perfectly set up and schemed, BG waited instead of trusting the play, aimed and missed late. He had many good reads and throws at NAU, WRs ran wrong routes and dropped some, can't blame those on Brady. WRs running wrong routes may cause QB to hesitate on his throws. Plenty of blame to go around with whoever is QB. This is still a young team, we get the spark plug back(JLM). Griz will be fairly healthy although it looked like Calhoun and Curran got knicked up at NAU.

He's inactive for Eastern, isn't he?

No

HelenaHandBasket said:
If Gus can drop and set-up in his spot and throw, he has success but if he is forced to move even a tiny bit, the shit show ensues. The guy is a freaking statue that has no ability to function outside of 7v7.

I've seen Gus throw touchdowns down the field while moving way outside the pocket, including one while he was way out of the pocket and running to his left to Homan last Saturday. I agree that Gus struggles under pressure, but you can't be literal about it. He just did exactly what you said he can't do last week.

Eriul said:
G-BEARS said:
Diesel said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Potentially, that's a problem for the Griz from here on out. The defensive blueprint to stop BG is now etched in stone. He'll have to beat the pressure now or it will continue to come fast and furious.....
Don't think that would be a new blueprint, every QB has issues when pressured. Do think his delivery is sometimes slow and he is taking too long to pull trigger here and there. Give him credit for post throws and slants the last couple of games. The left side post looked horrible and screen to left was bad, these can be cleaned up like other passing issues he has had.

Liked the remark about Palmer when Carrol was coach at USC. Pete told Carson he was over preparing for the defense. He wanted him to keep things simple and just play the game. At times BG thinks too much instead of pulling the trigger. Classic example was fourth down, set up fake WR screen to left with Bingham faking block, DB took bate shot for screen and Bingham was wide open early, BG hesitated as he stared Bingham down threw late and high. It was perfectly set up and schemed, BG waited instead of trusting the play, aimed and missed late. He had many good reads and throws at NAU, WRs ran wrong routes and dropped some, can't blame those on Brady. WRs running wrong routes may cause QB to hesitate on his throws. Plenty of blame to go around with whoever is QB. This is still a young team, we get the spark plug back(JLM). Griz will be fairly healthy although it looked like Calhoun and Curran got knicked up at NAU.

No

AJ Mazzolini is reporting otherwise

CV Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul said:
nzone said:
Until this team figures out how to block (both run and pass) you could have Tom Brady back there and look like hell. This offense line is about as bad as last year. Oh wait it is last years :shock: Brady doesn't deal with pressure well and so far this unit allows way to much of it. Either Brady needs to get the ball out faster or find help picking up the rush. We got pounded in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball.

We can't talk about other players on the field. Brady is the only person that plays on offense and moves the ball. It's entirely his fault if he gets sacked in less than 3 seconds because the tackle missed his block entirely... obviously Brady has to anticipate his o line sucking and get the ball out as soon as the snap is made 20 yards downfield on a dime to a wr who already made the route somehow

Boy, any negative BG talks sure gets under Eriul's skin. Have you slept since Saturday?

Eriul is nothing. There is a poster on MB that says BG is better than Sam Bradford right now......LOL

Did you watch Bradford (and Wentz) last Sunday? I believe 5 QB TO's in the first quarter....couple guys had some trouble with pressure. Get off the roller coaster HHB! Sports are tough and some weeks aren't as good as others.

Mousegriz said:
CV Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Eriul said:
We can't talk about other players on the field. Brady is the only person that plays on offense and moves the ball. It's entirely his fault if he gets sacked in less than 3 seconds because the tackle missed his block entirely... obviously Brady has to anticipate his o line sucking and get the ball out as soon as the snap is made 20 yards downfield on a dime to a wr who already made the route somehow

Boy, any negative BG talks sure gets under Eriul's skin. Have you slept since Saturday?

Eriul is nothing. There is a poster on MB that says BG is better than Sam Bradford right now......LOL

Did you watch Bradford (and Wentz) last Sunday? I believe 5 QB TO's in the first quarter....couple guys had some trouble with pressure. Get off the roller coaster HHB! Sports are tough and some weeks aren't as good as others.

Good point Mouse. I thought it's funny how somebody posted earlier that they wish we had any of EWU's three QBs. That's funny because both West and Hennessey absolutely PISSED DOWN THEIR LEGS under the Griz' relentless pressure on them last year. And I mean COMPLETELY MELTED DOWN. I won't judge Grubrud cause he came in in garbage time, but the other two couldn't operate whatsover with a pass rush in their face. I guess Gus isn't the only one after all.

G-BEARS said:
Eriul said:
G-BEARS said:
Diesel said:

No

AJ Mazzolini is reporting otherwise
I thought stitt specifically said he would be back. I guess I'm misinformed

Eriul said:
G-BEARS said:
We've got one poster saying Gustafson will be a 3rd round draft pick, one poster saying he is better than Sam Bradford, and now this guy Eriul saying he's the best quarterback for the griz since Dickinson... I can see why other Big Sky fans think our fanbase is clueless... It's embarrassing

For someone who tries to tag on people for saying the right thing you clearly just misquoted me. I said he is one of the best. And he is.

Name 3 qbs since Dave that are better... remember Gus is a player of the year candidate and an NFL prospect. He's easily a top 10 fcs qb statistically this year, could probably argue top 5.

Not going to be player of the year. Ah Yat, JJ, Edwards, Bergquist & Ochs were all better. We'll see where he winds up statistically, but I'd trade that easily for winning games.

bgbigdog said:
Eriul said:
G-BEARS said:
We've got one poster saying Gustafson will be a 3rd round draft pick, one poster saying he is better than Sam Bradford, and now this guy Eriul saying he's the best quarterback for the griz since Dickinson... I can see why other Big Sky fans think our fanbase is clueless... It's embarrassing

For someone who tries to tag on people for saying the right thing you clearly just misquoted me. I said he is one of the best. And he is.

Name 3 qbs since Dave that are better... remember Gus is a player of the year candidate and an NFL prospect. He's easily a top 10 fcs qb statistically this year, could probably argue top 5.

Not going to be player of the year. Ah Yat, JJ, Edwards, Bergquist & Ochs were all better. We'll see where he winds up statistically, but I'd trade that easily for winning games.

No point in arguing this point right now. If he signs a free agent contract (or is drafted) with an NFL team after this season, he will have proven to be a better quarterback prospect than ALL you mentioned above. Remember, not even Dickenson signed as a free agent in the NFL right after college. We will have to wait and see.

G-BEARS said:

It's funny that you assume there are actually Big Sky fans OTHER than Montana's fan base... What a joke! You could add up fan bases from every other pathetic school in the big sky conference and it would only be a fraction of the Griz fan base... And therefore who gives a flying f*** what they think! Ha ha

bgbigdog said:
Eriul said:
G-BEARS said:

Just ask bgbigdog....he knows for sure these guys were all better than Gustafson. Can only imagine what he was saying about Ah Yat, JJ, Edwards, Bergquist and Ochs back when they were playing.

bgbigdog said:
Eriul said:
G-BEARS said:

Gus stats - this year (199/302) 66% 2195 yards(313 ypg), 22 TD's, 5 ints, QBR (147.67)

Edwards - Best year 2002 (257/449) 57% 3209 yards(229 ypg), 20 TD's, 9 ints, QBR (128)

Sorry. Not even close on this one. Edwards had the perfect situation and isn't even close to
Brady statistically. He had a better team, coach, and everything ended season 10-2 lost in 2nd round of playoffs. About where our team is going to be looking. Can't find out where he landed on the Walter Payton but let's be real. Gus leads in every statistical category on this one with a worse team and coach. Obviously never really sniffed the NFL.

Ah Yat is hard to argue seeing as he won a chipper. Also having issue finding his stats.

Berquist - Best Year 2008 (225/371) 61% 3156 yards(197.3 ypg), 28 TD's, 8 ints, QBR (152.7)
Went 11-1 in season and lost in chipper. Obviously his statistics are about the same as Brady's. Brady obviously required to throw more as he doesn't have a power O-line/running game like we had in 2008 with Chase. I can't really see the player of the year, walter payton, voting but I am pretty sure he was not up for consideration. Both Marc and Chase were better offensive threats on our own team.

Ochs - Best Year 2004 (309/450) 69% 3807 yards(254 ypg), 33 TD's, 8 Ints, QBR (160.3)
'Completion % up above Gus slightly, ypg down slightly, TD/int ratio about the same, slightly higher QBR. Statistically better then gus. Went 9-2 in regular season with a better team losing to two unranked teams. Ended up losing in the Chipper. Obviously had a significantly better team as the 2004 team had numerous Montana greats such as Tuff Harris, Dan Carpenter, Lex HIlliard.

JJ - I'm out of time but his stats are about the same. Better TD/Int ratio but much lower completion %. Same winning % as Gus.

So statistically Gus is around the same as all the guys you said, better then some. He wins about the same amount of games with a worse team and has to shoulder significantly more load. He is a higher QB prospect for the NFL than any of them.

What exactly is your argument for why these qb's were all better? I think you guys forget that even the dominant Grizzly teams of the past still lost games and didn't have these immaculate players. We just like to live off of nostalgia.

I am not saying Gus IS better then ALL of these guys but he is in the conversation...

Eriul said:
bgbigdog said:
Eriul said:
G-BEARS said:

Gus stats - this year (199/302) 66% 2195 yards(313 ypg), 22 TD's, 5 ints, QBR (147.67)

Edwards - Best year 2002 (257/449) 57% 3209 yards(229 ypg), 20 TD's, 9 ints, QBR (128)

Sorry. Not even close on this one. Edwards had the perfect situation and isn't even close to
Brady statistically. He had a better team, coach, and everything ended season 10-2 lost in 2nd round of playoffs. About where our team is going to be looking. Can't find out where he landed on the Walter Payton but let's be real. Gus leads in every statistical category on this one with a worse team and coach. Obviously never really sniffed the NFL.

Ah Yat is hard to argue seeing as he won a chipper. Also having issue finding his stats.

Berquist - Best Year 2008 (225/371) 61% 3156 yards(197.3 ypg), 28 TD's, 8 ints, QBR (152.7)
Went 11-1 in season and lost in chipper. Obviously his statistics are about the same as Brady's. Brady obviously required to throw more as he doesn't have a power O-line/running game like we had in 2008 with Chase. I can't really see the player of the year, walter payton, voting but I am pretty sure he was not up for consideration. Both Marc and Chase were better offensive threats on our own team.

Ochs - Best Year 2004 (309/450) 69% 3807 yards(254 ypg), 33 TD's, 8 Ints, QBR (160.3)
'Completion % up above Gus slightly, ypg down slightly, TD/int ratio about the same, slightly higher QBR. Statistically better then gus. Went 9-2 in regular season with a better team losing to two unranked teams. Ended up losing in the Chipper. Obviously had a significantly better team as the 2004 team had numerous Montana greats such as Tuff Harris, Dan Carpenter, Lex HIlliard.

JJ - I'm out of time but his stats are about the same. Better TD/Int ratio but much lower completion %. Same winning % as Gus.

So statistically Gus is around the same as all the guys you said, better then some. He wins about the same amount of games with a worse team and has to shoulder significantly more load. He is a higher QB prospect for the NFL than any of them.

What exactly is your argument for why these qb's were all better? I think you guys forget that even the dominant Grizzly teams of the past still lost games and didn't have these immaculate players. We just like to live off of nostalgia.

I am not saying Gus IS better then ALL of these guys but he is in the conversation...

You make a solid point with your "BG should be the discussion" comment. But again, I'd recommend letting the season play out before continuing these discussions. Once BG's complete body of work is finished, then fans can compare him to the former Griz QB greats. The NFL potential will he determined soon enough......

Eriul said:
bgbigdog said:
Eriul said:
G-BEARS said:

Nice work putting this together, Eriul. For me, it's an example of how statistics can, and often do, misguide us. Vastly different schemes used in that 20 year comparison and way too many variables to control for. I don't like dogging any players on here, and I agree with CV about giving BG the benefit of completing his career, but I'm with Big Papa on this one. When the chips are down, which QB would you put in the game?

Eriul said:
bgbigdog said:
Eriul said:
G-BEARS said:

Ah Yat is hard to argue seeing as he won a chipper.

Huh? :?

Ursa Major said:
Eriul said:
bgbigdog said:
Eriul said:

Nice work putting this together, Eriul. For me, it's an example of how statistics can, and often do, misguide us. Vastly different schemes used in that 20 year comparison and way too many variables to control for. I don't like dogging any players on here, and I agree with CV about giving BG the benefit of completing his career, but I'm with Big Papa on this one. When the chips are down, which QB would you put in the game?

Yah I think it's definitely too early to be for sure for Gus but obviously it depends on so many things which QB I would want. However, I almost ALWAYS would lean towards the QB with the better TD/INT ratio if it comes to it.

As I see it Ah Yat gets the ball first as he has the best career in winning. Next would be JJ as he didn't turn the ball over and he could carry a game on his shoulders. Next would be Brady. I know everyone will freak out but you put Brady behind the O-lines we had with Berquist and Ochs and I think he torches 400 a game easy

Ursa one of the most frustrating memories I have of UM football is when Hauck would not pull Swogger in the UMass game(Berquest on bench) I do believe for the teams sake QB on college level is open to be pulled. Even to send a signal to the rest of the team. Baldwin did it against UNI and still maintained control of the team. Brady is the best starter we have, however if he shows inability to perform he should be pulled. Performance and results should be taken over potential.

Eriul said:
Ursa Major said:
Eriul said:
bgbigdog said:

Yah I think it's definitely too early to be for sure for Gus but obviously it depends on so many things which QB I would want. However, I almost ALWAYS would lean towards the QB with the better TD/INT ratio if it comes to it.

As I see it Ah Yat gets the ball first as he has the best career in winning. Next would be JJ as he didn't turn the ball over and he could carry a game on his shoulders. Next would be Brady. I know everyone will freak out but you put Brady behind the O-lines we had with Berquist and Ochs and I think he torches 400 a game easy

I get the impression you started watching Griz football about 4 years ago.

Can you tell me about Ah Yat's "chipper"?

Raider said:
Eriul said:
bgbigdog said:
Eriul said:

Ah Yat is hard to argue seeing as he won a chipper.

Huh? :?

Yah I noticed I said this last night too. Was too lazy to change. I wrote up that whole post in about 10 min. Meant to say got to the chipper. but w/e

P.S. I started watching in 2002 so I did not watch the whole season with Ah yat so yah... can't argue about him. The others I can tho.

Back