• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gustafson gonna be the man again this year?

krammer said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
If Gustafson is the best we have the rest of the world knows why the Griz are mired in mediocrity and watching NDSU win 7 straight

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

would it have anything to do with replacing about fifteen starters ?....new defensive coordinator and a second year head coach ?......your on solid ground with ndsu so you are taking no chances there, but gus may surprise many and he can run some too.
No, it has to do with the stone cold FACT we haven't had a GREAT QB since Edwards and Ochs.............

bgbigdog said:
brewskis said:
krammer said:
if we could keep Counts (our physical back) healthy we would be fine,,,,this is his senior year and has not happened yet,,,so scat backs it will probably be.....
Calhoun is in no way a scat back, and he is more physical than Counts by a mile. We're gonna be just fine with him in the backfield, now we just need the line to protect Brady and let Calhoun get past the first level.

Calhoun could be pretty comparable to Frazier in size & skill sets. Had there been better line play, who knows. More physical than Counts? No. I realize Joey sees less & less of the field with his style, but Calhoun is a run to daylight & finisher kind of back. Counts is a run to/over anyone in the way kind of back. That's why he is dinged all the time.

Sorry, didn't see the clock, Friday afternoon, my bad.

is Calhoun the best overall back ? yes he is, no argument here....,more physical, I say no .....

Gus has NFL arm strength and intelligence. He will need to make some improvements with his consistency to have a chance at the NFL. I do believe Phillips will push him to new heights. I was very impressed with Phillips in the 1st scrimmage. Granted the pick 6 stunk, and it was a forced pass. However, he makes quick reads, runs well, above average arm strength, and throws a very tight spiral. He also showed the ability to throw each kind of pass, from bullets to touch lobs.

I doubt there will be any drop off in the offense with Gustafson or Phillips running the team. Phillips just needs to learn the playbook, and his personnel. It will take a lot to beat Gustafson though. Phillips starts in 2017. Gresch Jensen will be terrific when his time comes as well. Word has it that Stitt is very high on Jensen.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
griz5700 said:
Brady is gonna have a big year. NFL will agree. Scouts'll be all like whaaaat. daaaaaaamm
LOL

Double LOL. Didn't 5700 say the Griz would dominate NDSU in the playoff game because the Bison where so slow? C'mon.....

CV Griz Fan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
griz5700 said:
Brady is gonna have a big year. NFL will agree. Scouts'll be all like whaaaat. daaaaaaamm
LOL

Double LOL. Didn't 5700 say the Griz would dominate NDSU in the playoff game because the Bison where so slow? C'mon.....

I did. Then I was all like daaaaam!!

brewskis said:
Brady's confidence and decisiveness is what is really impressive.
I guess you missed his last game. Hard to erase that memory. Worst Griz QB performance since Edwards vs. MSU 2002.

THE HERD said:
Just curious since spring ball is almost over.....any young gun trying to steal the job away? Also you guys gonna have any size at RB this year or is it gonna be the scat back types again? I'll hang up and listen :thumb:

From Hero Sports: http://herosports.com/news/fcs-quarterback-recruiting-north-dakota-state-jacksonville-sam-houston-richmond

Montana

FINISH: FCS second round qualifier

QB SITUATION: Pro prospect Brady Gustafson was outstanding last year when he was on the field, and he'll be a cornerstone in 2016. His performance in a win over North Dakota State was incredible.

bgbigdog said:
THE HERD said:
Just curious since spring ball is almost over.....any young gun trying to steal the job away? Also you guys gonna have any size at RB this year or is it gonna be the scat back types again? I'll hang up and listen :thumb:

Who takes the reins from the kid QB if he goes down?

Cole Davis and he is a junior this year I believe. We got him out of Missouri, where he put up some real nice numbers. He knows our system very well and would do just fine if Stick were to go down. He is more a pure passer though, not a threat to run like Stick..

The transfer Reese Phillips had a good final spring game and could beat out Gus this fall. After what Stitt said about Gus after the NDSU game you have to think he's looking for someone. Gus looks like the same QB he was last season. So it's hard to say at this point if Gus will be the man this year.

AllWeatherFan said:
THE HERD said:

Calhoun behind your offensive line would be something to behold.

What was the name of that big back you guys had a few years ago? That dude was big, physical and fast, but didn't seem like you guys utilized him much....I think he had some injuries though. I would have loved to see that dude in the green and gold running behind our line!

THE HERD said:
AllWeatherFan said:
THE HERD said:

Calhoun behind your offensive line would be something to behold.

What was the name of that big back you guys had a few years ago? That dude was big, physical and fast, but didn't seem like you guys utilized him much....I think he had some injuries though. I would have loved to see that dude in the green and gold running behind our line!

Could it have been Moore?

36206971672397150905.jpg

Back