• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gustafson gonna be the man again this year?

get'em_griz said:
THE HERD said:
AllWeatherFan said:
THE HERD said:
Just curious since spring ball is almost over.....any young gun trying to steal the job away? Also you guys gonna have any size at RB this year or is it gonna be the scat back types again? I'll hang up and listen :thumb:

Calhoun behind your offensive line would be something to behold.

What was the name of that big back you guys had a few years ago? That dude was big, physical and fast, but didn't seem like you guys utilized him much....I think he had some injuries though. I would have loved to see that dude in the green and gold running behind our line!

Could it have been Moore?

36206971672397150905.jpg

That would be him! Dude was very athletic for his size.....did he get an undrafted FA contract with anyone? Would surpise me if no one at least brought him into camp just for a look. I loved how he would just be looking for contact...punishing runner! He went about 240lb, didn't he?

THE HERD said:
get'em_griz said:
Could it have been Moore?

36206971672397150905.jpg

That would be him! Dude was very athletic for his size.....did he get an undrafted FA contract with anyone? Would surpise me if no one at least brought him into camp just for a look. I loved how he would just be looking for contact...punishing runner! He went about 240lb, didn't he?

He was in the Colts camp, I believe. Don't think he's on anyone's roster now.

Bottom line is that in this day and age of football, you better have a backup who is pressing the starter all season because he will likely get plenty of opportunity to see the field. Whether college or pro it is very rare for a starter not to get knocked out of at least one game during the season. We seem to be in a much better situation now than in recent years. Having two backups who can play is a bonus.

If the O-line and running game are as advertised, it should be a huge benefit to the QB situation. I do wonder though how Stitt will respond if there's an issue with accuracy that leads to an unworkable number of three & outs. Like it or not, the last six quarters of 2015 were abysmal offensively, and that has got to change. If the backups are in the vicinity of ready, he might not feel as if he has to tough it out with the incumbent.

bgbigdog said:
If the O-line and running game are as advertised, it should be a huge benefit to the QB situation. I do wonder though how Stitt will respond if there's an issue with accuracy that leads to an unworkable number of three & outs. Like it or not, the last six quarters of 2015 were abysmal offensively, and that has got to change. If the backups are in the vicinity of ready, he might not feel as if he has to tough it out with the incumbent.

The offense under Brady seems to run VERY hot and cold. The 10 quarters PRIOR to that were a thing of beauty.... :? :?

AZGrizFan said:
The offense under Brady seems to run VERY hot and cold. The 10 quarters PRIOR to that were a thing of beauty.... :? :?
The standard deviation for Gus last year was the highest of the three quarterbacks that started for the Griz. I pointed that out just after mid-season, when "overthrow" was the single most used word for Gus's passing. The "big wins" over MSU and EWU -- two programs in complete implosion -- neither with a defense to speak of. Were those typical games, outstanding examples, or outliers? If there is effectively no defense, is that a fair measure of an offense or a QB performance? The Cats had, what, 3 interceptions the entire season? You could throw the ball directly to the Cat D line, and they wouldn't catch it. I'm not sure that makes it a "thing of beauty" or just beating a dead cat.

Early on,
Griz and Cal Poly at home L 19-20.
Bobcats, Cal Poly at home, W 45-28.

For "adjusted" season totals, Gus had more interceptions than the other two quarterbacks (19, 7, 16). It was early on apparent that with Gus, it was roulette, and when Gus did start to have bad quarters, little adjustment to it. On the other hand, improvement season to season is to be expected. We have to wait and see.

kemajic said:
brewskis said:
Brady's confidence and decisiveness is what is really impressive.
I guess you missed his last game. Hard to erase that memory. Worst Griz QB performance since Edwards vs. MSU 2002.
Not only was Edwards playing outside as noted by Alpha but he was injured (bad wheel as I recall, which was a huge part of his game). He should not have played in either the EW or msu games. Worst Glenn coaching decisions as Griz coach. Even pissed Cliff off. Personally I feel BG is going to feel some huge pressure from Phillips. Phillips was the only QB I would give at least one thumb up from Sat. I sat next to GRZZ and he had the same feeling. I left the scrimmage with some big QB concerns, except for RP. I would like to add, I am cheering for BG, I hope he picks up his game and wins the job.

IntuitiveGriz said:
THE HERD said:
Just curious since spring ball is almost over.....any young gun trying to steal the job away? Also you guys gonna have any size at RB this year or is it gonna be the scat back types again? I'll hang up and listen :thumb:

From Hero Sports: http://herosports.com/news/fcs-quarterback-recruiting-north-dakota-state-jacksonville-sam-houston-richmond

Montana

FINISH: FCS second round qualifier

QB SITUATION: Pro prospect Brady Gustafson was outstanding last year when he was on the field, and he'll be a cornerstone in 2016. His performance in a win over North Dakota State was incredible.

Those are some ridiculous word choices by that author. Brady was good, but his inaccuracy and occasional brain farts were on show in the first ndsu game too.

NativeGriz said:
kemajic said:
brewskis said:
I guess you missed his last game. Hard to erase that memory. Worst Griz QB performance since Edwards vs. MSU 2002.
Not only was Edwards playing outside as noted by Alpha but he was injured (bad wheel as I recall, which was a huge part of his game). He should not have played in either the EW or msu games. Worst Glenn coaching decisions as Griz coach. Even pissed Cliff off. Personally I feel BG is going to feel some huge pressure from Phillips. Phillips was the only QB I would give at least one thumb up from Sat. I sat next to GRZZ and he had the same feeling. I left the scrimmage with some big QB concerns, except for RP. I would like to add, I am cheering for BG, I hope he picks up his game and wins the job.

Phillips or Chalich, whichever one emerges as the #2 QB........will be the crowd favorite all year long. I like the guy from Billings Montana who's in the program for his 5th year.

kemajic said:
brewskis said:

Worst performance by a QB from the state of montana at the FCS level since Bleskin in cat-griz. Don't think he will EVER rescind that title though.

I like Gus and hope he succeeds. But defenses learned last year all the FS needs to do is watch Gus' eyes and they will be in on the play, if not picking him off. It sounds like he still needs to work on 1) looking off the safety, 2) following progressions and making quicker decisions (not stare down the receiver, also part of #1), and cutting down on overthrows. He may know the offense the best now, but that may change over the summer. Sounds like others may have a leg up in accuracy and progressions. I got the impression from all the reports that we have 3 fairly good QB's.

On a related (tangentially) note; after seeing McCreary's numbers (11-12) in the Tech scrimmage and Peoples' numbers at QB and kicking, both teams may have let the wrong players go.

Phillips did have one main advantage over Gus in that scrum. He had Louie-McGee to throw to.

HORRIBLIS, you are not suggesting Danny Peoples would be beating out the top three Griz quarterbacks this spring are you? Kicking, maybe, and that's a long, maybe still, but QB? Really? And BTW, no one LET Danny Peoples go. He was a preferred walkon and would have been competing for kicking duties in spring ball at UM the last month. Stitt, nor anyone else at UM told Peoples to leave. He was not cut either. He left UM to pursue the QB position at Montana Tech, a position which he has little to no chance at until after Quinn McQueary is done playing. Montana State also did not LET McQueary go either. He was butthurt over Bleskin being the backup, over being moved to WR and then felt even more slighted when he wasn't put in to replace Bleskin earlier in the 2014 Brawl. He wasn't LET go by MSU's staff, and they very much wanted him to stay.

havgrizfan said:
HORRIBLIS, you are not suggesting Danny Peoples would be beating out the top three Griz quarterbacks this spring are you? Kicking, maybe, and that's a long, maybe still, but QB? Really? And BTW, no one LET Danny Peoples go. He was a preferred walkon and would have been competing for kicking duties in spring ball at UM the last month. Stitt, nor anyone else at UM told Peoples to leave. He was not cut either. He left UM to pursue the QB position at Montana Tech, a position which he has little to no chance at until after Quinn McQueary is done playing. Montana State also did not LET McQueary go either. He was butthurt over Bleskin being the backup, over being moved to WR and then felt even more slighted when he wasn't put in to replace Bleskin earlier in the 2014 Brawl. He wasn't LET go by MSU's staff, and they very much wanted him to stay.
Holy. Settle down big guy lol. I believe he was referring to kicking duties. No one believes that he would be in the running for starting a QB

Pretty typical. Fans nitpicking over the starting QB who has yet to really establish himself as a dominant player and then salivating over the potential of the newly brought in QB... Haven't seen that before... haha...

I really like Phillips potential, but he isn't close to striking distance in making this a QB controversy yet. He had made some good throws and has shown some talent, but he has also made a lot of mistakes. I'm not sure if people would be singing his praises if he a couple picks and a fumble in a real game.

I expect Gus to have a more consistent season this year. He has actually played very well in the scrimmages and most importantly of all has not turned the ball over. I guess if you are expecting a guy that throws at a 90% completion rate and can run all over hell, he isn't your guy, but I think he gives our team the best chance to win right now and could have a great year this year.

Fahque said:
havgrizfan said:
Holy. Settle down big guy lol. I believe he was referring to kicking duties. No one believes that he would be in the running for starting a QB

You would be correct.

UMAlum said:
Phillips did have one main advantage over Gus in that scrum. He had Louie-McGee to throw to.

JLM against our backup secondary just wasn't fair this spring.

Back