• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Having an adaptable defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grisly Fan said:
77matcat said:
What impact will the fact that the Bigsky has now personally witnessed your ofense??? Could that be the reason second half scoring was down last year??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe that the offense had to be simplified quite a bit and that simplified version was relatively easy to defend once you learned it. If I am right then that shouldn't happen this year (as long as we have QB healthy that has at least a year in the system). Time will tell...

That's the problem, and I think it's always going to be there. :cry:

Nope...torch will pass from Brady to Phillips to Jensen...much better shape relative to last year and certainly going forward.

77matcat said:
What impact will the fact that the Bigsky has now personally witnessed your ofense??? Could that be the reason second half scoring was down last year??

You honestly think that the Big Sky saw all of Stitt's playbook last year? You guys haven't seen anything yet.

Chalk up last year's scoring issues to having to learn a new offense, a weak O-Line, an injured starting quarterback and having to play the 2nd and 3rd-string QBs.

get'em_griz said:
Chalk up last year's scoring issues to having to learn a new offense, a weak O-Line, an injured starting quarterback and having to play the 2nd and 3rd-string QBs.
If the MSU and EWU games "don't count" because the defenses were so incredibly MIA, the first string QB scored just 19 points in other conference games, the 2nd string QB averaged 24 points, and the 3rd string QB averaged 30 points per game, scored 21 points in a half using primarily a running game, and also matched the school record for TD throws in a single game.

get'em_griz said:
77matcat said:

You honestly think that the Big Sky saw all of Stitt's playbook last year? You guys haven't seen anything yet.

This. Thank you for your ability to see through the mind-numbing, play-by-play numbers and understand the big picture. Teams can't rotate through their QB depth chart and maintain any kind of continuity or momentum effectively. The Griz did it as well as they probably could have.

UMGriz75 said:
get'em_griz said:
If the MSU and EWU games "don't count" because the defenses were so incredibly MIA, the first string QB scored just 19 points in other conference games, the 2nd string QB averaged 24 points, and the 3rd string QB averaged 30 points per game, scored 21 points in a half using primarily a running game, and also matched the school record for TD throws in a single game.
Against what was the 114th ranked passing defense in FCS last year...

Htowngriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
get'em_griz said:
Your "bolded" parts include two different teams. They were BOTH ranked 114?

Under our "3rd Stringer," the 43 points scored, and the school TD pass record, was against the second ranked defense in the conference, and the 41st ranked defense in NCAA FCS.

Whereas under our "1st Stringer" UM scored 19 points, and lost the game, against the 9th ranked defense in the conference, the 112th ranked defense in NCAA FCS, and the near bottom-ranked pass defense in the conference.

UMGriz75 said:
Htowngriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
get'em_griz said:
Your "bolded" parts include two different teams. They were BOTH ranked 114?

Under our "3rd Stringer," the 43 points scored, and the school TD pass record, was against the second ranked defense in the conference, and the 41st ranked defense in NCAA FCS.

Whereas under our "1st Stringer" UM scored 19 points, and lost the game, against the 9th ranked defense in the conference, the 112th ranked defense in NCAA FCS, and the near bottom-ranked pass defense in the conference.

And he had that performance with a fractured rib, which caused not only pain, but breathing problems, and a beat up body just seven days after taking an absolute pounding, yet putting up 434 yards and three touchdowns in a win over the VERY BEST DEFENSE IN THE FCS, and perhaps the best defensive program the FCS has EVER SEEN. I'll forever and a day always cut Brady some slack for the Cal Poly game.

BTW, you're 3rd stringer that has the school record for TD's in a game, while that was a great and memorable performance, is no longer even a QB.

UMGriz75 said:
get'em_griz said:

And fumbled the ball away more than any other football player I've seen take the field in recent history....and at very critical times that cost or almost cost the game.....it's important to have fair balance and outline both the good with the bad. He looked great against UND. Wasn't impressed with the rest to be honest.

Just so 75 doesn't get mad at me though, I'd like to take this public opportunity to thank Makena Simis for his hard work and dedication last season, he was an intregal part of the Griz' success last year, with the two QB's ahead of him going down with injuries. And for his selfless decision to switch positions to make room for other QB's on the roster. I have never met Makena, but I understand he is a fine young man and a true Grizzly!

havgrizfan said:
BTW, you're 3rd stringer that has the school record for TD's in a game, while that was a great and memorable performance, is no longer even a QB.
Yes, one of the enjoyable parts of egriz is seeing how many excuses can be made to say why something that happened didn't actually happen, and what didn't happen, should have happened. He's not "my" third stringer, although that does seem to betray your attitude about "our" third stringer.

Ok 75 bear with me I'm trying to follow along :
Stitt abandones what is working?
Moved his best qb to wr?
the Griz defense was great under Ty and got worse under Semore?
His tendencies do not allow you to predict a record for the coming season?

Let me know if i'm off base here cause i'm just getting this from your posts.
TIA

havgrizfan said:
Just so 75 doesn't get mad at me though, I'd like to take this public opportunity to thank Makena Simis for his hard work and dedication last season, he was an intregal part of the Griz' success last year, with the two QB's ahead of him going down with injuries. And for his selfless decision to switch positions to make room for other QB's on the roster. I have never met Makena, but I understand he is a fine young man and a true Grizzly!

Well said. Glad he is a Griz.

HookedonGriz said:
And fumbled the ball away more than any other football player I've seen take the field in recent history....and at very critical times that cost or almost cost the game.....
I think that's a perception bias. It's been a while, but when I did the walk through of that in terms of time played, I'm pretty sure that I recall Brady "led" the team in both interceptions and fumbles. I think Chad was the best of the three at keeping the ball on our side.

Mavman said:
Ok 75 bear with me I'm trying to follow along :
Stitt abandones what is working?
Moved his best qb to wr?
the Griz defense was great under Ty and got worse under Semore?
His tendencies do not allow you to predict a record for the coming season?

Let me know if i'm off base here cause i'm just getting this from your posts.
TIA
I understand that you wish I would make hyperbolic conclusions out of reciting basic facts. But, you are doing quite well at it on your own, so you don't need me.

UMGriz75 said:
havgrizfan said:
Yes, one of the enjoyable parts of egriz is seeing how many excuses can be made to say why something that happened didn't actually happen, and what didn't happen, should have happened. He's not "my" third stringer, although that does seem to betray your attitude about "our" third stringer.

Just like your use of quotes around 1st stringer when referring to Brady betrays your attitude about him. :thumb:

Htowngriz said:
Just like your use of quotes around 1st stringer when referring to Brady betrays your attitude about him. :thumb:
I used "quote" marks around both "1st stringer" and "3rd stringer" because they are slang expressions and when I am paying attention, I use quotes around slang expressions, at least on the first usage. -- Associated Press Style Guide. Talk about "attitudes ....".

UMGriz75 said:
Ty understood stopping run strategies
Ha! That was a good one. Thanks, I needed a good chuckle today.
Traitorak was about as adaptable as a dodo bird
And are you still arguing about Simis' QB skills? Good lord, man, stick to your mathletes. Or I guess there's a Daum thread that could use your help

garizzalies said:
UMGriz75 said:
Traitorak was about as adaptable as a dodo bird
And are you still arguing about Simis' QB skills? Good lord, man, stick to your mathletes. Or I guess there's a Daum thread that could use your help
Ty had one formation against every single team....it worked well against bad teams so his stats looked ok for the big sky conference. It will be nice to have a DC who actually utilizes multiple packages and personnel.

garizzalies said:
UMGriz75 said:
In the real world, we did pretty good against Poly in that department. Not so good in the other department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back