• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

High School Football Talk

Ursa Major said:
1972 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Ursa Major said:
Howard,

Perhaps there is a board that is focused upon that somewhere. This one is not it. I know you're new here but traditionally Peyton runs a Montana high school recruiting thread that is supported by Vim and others to discuss recruitment of these kids to Division 1 programs. This is not the Montana high school football discussion board. We focus on FCS, Big Sky and of course Griz football. I'm sure with your knowledge of high school athletes you'll be able to join in the existing high school recruiting thread.

Yes I have seen the Montana Recruits board, and i have been commenting on it. Yes I am new on egriz and I don't want to try and insert myself into some big role. I am just a high school scout, so I do try and put input on the recruiting thread. I created this thread to talk about what's going on in the high school football world, which I see as pretty important and directly correlated with the griz and bobcat football. If you disagree that's fine, I completely understand, if not, then that's great! Also, I don't have a relationship with Peyton, I hope to gain one, but vim and I have helped each other on the Montana recruiting thread over on bobcat nation for a while now.

Give him a break guys!! At least he's trying to talk a little football. He's not on here bashing the Griz, everyone who has posted on here, started out at some point.

I hear you '72! The board has been a bit poisonous this off season. That said, I just don't care to read if Huntley Project's defensive coach is thinking of switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4 for 2017. I have an enormous drinking problem so it is hard enough for me to just focus on the Griz.

On Egriz this thread is an answer in search of a question.

Perhaps it could join the High School Basketball and the Allatoona Buc's thread over on the Griz Athletics and Beyond Forum?

Thanks for telling us about your drinking problem. Can we get back to the topic now and actually talk about something worthwhile now? Thanks!

HowardRoss280 said:
BigSkyBears said:
HowardRoss280 said:
5-14-17 The first discussion on this thread will be about Billings Senior, it only seems right, doesn't it? So my question I present to all of you is; how long will the dominance last? Billings Senior has been the undisputed team to beat lately, despite only winning one State Title, yes I know there has been more dominate teams in the past, but is there something different with Billings Senior? They are looking strong once again coming into the 2017 season, being lead by what some say is the undisputed best player in the state, Gabe Sulser. The questions I give to you is, how long will Seniors reign last? Is it over as soon as their great 2018 class graduates or have they implemented a system that will continue to the similarities of CMR, Capital High. Or is this just a rare group of kids who had extraordinary talent, and Senior will come and go as a contender? Also, who stands in their way, and are they even the favorites at this point? With Dick gone, who will be the one to bomb passes to Sulser, and does this apparent "lack" of QB decrease their chances even with players like Sulser, Askleson, and Allred?

5-21-17 Capital High is a well established program in the high school football world of Montana. And throughout those years when Capital High was becoming a "powerhouse" in football, there has been some very talented players to pass through. A few names that pop into my head: Greg Carothers, Matt Miller, Bobby Daly, Caleb Kidder, the list goes on. And that seems to be the theme for this year as well, with the talents of Seth Schneider, Conor Quick, Carson Shuman and Trevor Welnel leading the way. Sadly, its not the names of studs that come to mind when Capital High is brought up in a conversation, but of the mishaps in recent news. A DUI given to the head coach, causing lots of unwanted attention being drawn to the program. Let me make this very clear, Coach Mihelish is a good guy, hard worker, and knows the game of football very well, but driving under the influence of alcohol is not acceptable, and the example being set is a bad one. With all the talent on that roster coming into next season, it is disappointing to see the face of that program do something like that.
Capital High has been on the rise since that ugly 1-9 season(the only win coming from a Helgate program that was holding on by a thread), and has had two straight semi-final runs, both being ended by the Broncs of Senior. And as I look closer at those two rebound seasons, I see rosters full of talent, college football players plentiful. Then I look at the rankings, and their defensive play those two seasons is INSANE. Great. Hats off to that coaching staff for their hard work in preparing those kids. Defensive coaching staff. Offensive coaching staff, take a seat. Capital Highs offense the past two seasons, embarrassing. And embarrassing is saying it nicely. As I was watching film of the 2016 season, countless times I saw the defense carrying the team, and not just carrying the team, but winning single handedly, without any offensive help. If that offense of 2016 could have stayed on the field for longer than 3 plays, I completely believe they could have won a State Title. No doubt in my mind. But the offense was a joke. It doesn't stop there, 2017 season, Capital High vs Helena High, capital wins 3-0. 3 to 0! And some might say it was good game, hard fought, defensive battle. Not exactly, and as I watched film from that game, I was embarrassed for the play caller of capital high. And might I add, the 3 points came off a Helena high turnover inside their own 20 yard line. Capital couldn't score starting inside the redzone. Now, like I said earlier, those rosters were loaded with talent, hell some names didn't even go on to play college football but could have easily made a NAIA team. The let down came from the coaching staff, mostly the play caller. And partly from the head coach for not telling that play caller to get the hell out. It saddens me to see such a talented group of kids come up short because of some wanna-be football genius. I have decided to not share the name of said play caller, but its easy to find. You guys can look it up if you feel like it.
Now, as I rewatch Capital film from last year, and focus on the juniors who will be seniors, I see a group of talented kids, and a team who could easily take state. But the play calling and coach leadership still looms, and I hate that I have a feeling that it will drag these kids away from winning. I look at programs like Kalispell Glacier, Billing Senior, Helena High, Bozeman and I see a group of coaches who are getting their players ready to go, and even Kalispell Flathead, Missoula Sentinel, Great Falls High, CMR, Missoula Big Sky who are building their programs up and preparing to win again. Not all Capital coaches are bad, this isn't what I'm saying. I just see other programs that may not have as much talent as the bruins this year, yet they are looking better off at this point.

Next week I drive into the lower classes of football, and ask the question: does Class B and lower produce as much talent as Class AA, A? And is it quantity over quality, or the other way around?

Kinda weird that you're an adult and like high school football.
Liking football is weird?

Certainly liking football is not weird, but I think watching high school football (or any high school sports) is weird. At some point in your life you gotta move beyond your high school days, (you know like the day you graduate). I hope you still don't go to high school parties or wear your letter jacket to the games.

HowardRoss280 said:
Ursa Major said:
1972 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Yes I have seen the Montana Recruits board, and i have been commenting on it. Yes I am new on egriz and I don't want to try and insert myself into some big role. I am just a high school scout, so I do try and put input on the recruiting thread. I created this thread to talk about what's going on in the high school football world, which I see as pretty important and directly correlated with the griz and bobcat football. If you disagree that's fine, I completely understand, if not, then that's great! Also, I don't have a relationship with Peyton, I hope to gain one, but vim and I have helped each other on the Montana recruiting thread over on bobcat nation for a while now.

Give him a break guys!! At least he's trying to talk a little football. He's not on here bashing the Griz, everyone who has posted on here, started out at some point.

I hear you '72! The board has been a bit poisonous this off season. That said, I just don't care to read if Huntley Project's defensive coach is thinking of switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4 for 2017. I have an enormous drinking problem so it is hard enough for me to just focus on the Griz.

On Egriz this thread is an answer in search of a question.

Perhaps it could join the High School Basketball and the Allatoona Buc's thread over on the Griz Athletics and Beyond Forum?

Thanks for telling us about your drinking problem. Can we get back to the topic now and actually talk about something worthwhile now? Thanks!

Easy Howard. You don't need to get upset with your sugar diabetes. Don't forget the scouter's creed; "Ever Stalwart."

BigSkyBears said:
HowardRoss280 said:
BigSkyBears said:
HowardRoss280 said:
5-14-17 The first discussion on this thread will be about Billings Senior, it only seems right, doesn't it? So my question I present to all of you is; how long will the dominance last? Billings Senior has been the undisputed team to beat lately, despite only winning one State Title, yes I know there has been more dominate teams in the past, but is there something different with Billings Senior? They are looking strong once again coming into the 2017 season, being lead by what some say is the undisputed best player in the state, Gabe Sulser. The questions I give to you is, how long will Seniors reign last? Is it over as soon as their great 2018 class graduates or have they implemented a system that will continue to the similarities of CMR, Capital High. Or is this just a rare group of kids who had extraordinary talent, and Senior will come and go as a contender? Also, who stands in their way, and are they even the favorites at this point? With Dick gone, who will be the one to bomb passes to Sulser, and does this apparent "lack" of QB decrease their chances even with players like Sulser, Askleson, and Allred?

5-21-17 Capital High is a well established program in the high school football world of Montana. And throughout those years when Capital High was becoming a "powerhouse" in football, there has been some very talented players to pass through. A few names that pop into my head: Greg Carothers, Matt Miller, Bobby Daly, Caleb Kidder, the list goes on. And that seems to be the theme for this year as well, with the talents of Seth Schneider, Conor Quick, Carson Shuman and Trevor Welnel leading the way. Sadly, its not the names of studs that come to mind when Capital High is brought up in a conversation, but of the mishaps in recent news. A DUI given to the head coach, causing lots of unwanted attention being drawn to the program. Let me make this very clear, Coach Mihelish is a good guy, hard worker, and knows the game of football very well, but driving under the influence of alcohol is not acceptable, and the example being set is a bad one. With all the talent on that roster coming into next season, it is disappointing to see the face of that program do something like that.
Capital High has been on the rise since that ugly 1-9 season(the only win coming from a Helgate program that was holding on by a thread), and has had two straight semi-final runs, both being ended by the Broncs of Senior. And as I look closer at those two rebound seasons, I see rosters full of talent, college football players plentiful. Then I look at the rankings, and their defensive play those two seasons is INSANE. Great. Hats off to that coaching staff for their hard work in preparing those kids. Defensive coaching staff. Offensive coaching staff, take a seat. Capital Highs offense the past two seasons, embarrassing. And embarrassing is saying it nicely. As I was watching film of the 2016 season, countless times I saw the defense carrying the team, and not just carrying the team, but winning single handedly, without any offensive help. If that offense of 2016 could have stayed on the field for longer than 3 plays, I completely believe they could have won a State Title. No doubt in my mind. But the offense was a joke. It doesn't stop there, 2017 season, Capital High vs Helena High, capital wins 3-0. 3 to 0! And some might say it was good game, hard fought, defensive battle. Not exactly, and as I watched film from that game, I was embarrassed for the play caller of capital high. And might I add, the 3 points came off a Helena high turnover inside their own 20 yard line. Capital couldn't score starting inside the redzone. Now, like I said earlier, those rosters were loaded with talent, hell some names didn't even go on to play college football but could have easily made a NAIA team. The let down came from the coaching staff, mostly the play caller. And partly from the head coach for not telling that play caller to get the hell out. It saddens me to see such a talented group of kids come up short because of some wanna-be football genius. I have decided to not share the name of said play caller, but its easy to find. You guys can look it up if you feel like it.
Now, as I rewatch Capital film from last year, and focus on the juniors who will be seniors, I see a group of talented kids, and a team who could easily take state. But the play calling and coach leadership still looms, and I hate that I have a feeling that it will drag these kids away from winning. I look at programs like Kalispell Glacier, Billing Senior, Helena High, Bozeman and I see a group of coaches who are getting their players ready to go, and even Kalispell Flathead, Missoula Sentinel, Great Falls High, CMR, Missoula Big Sky who are building their programs up and preparing to win again. Not all Capital coaches are bad, this isn't what I'm saying. I just see other programs that may not have as much talent as the bruins this year, yet they are looking better off at this point.

Next week I drive into the lower classes of football, and ask the question: does Class B and lower produce as much talent as Class AA, A? And is it quantity over quality, or the other way around?

Certainly liking football is not weird, but I think watching high school football (or any high school sports) is weird. At some point in your life you gotta move beyond your high school days, (you know like the day you graduate). I hope you still don't go to high school parties or wear your letter jacket to the games.

Let's just hope that there is no twitter following or sleepovers!

BigSkyBears said:
HowardRoss280 said:
BigSkyBears said:
HowardRoss280 said:

I guess college football coaches didn't get that memo. Better tell them not to watch high school football players because it's weird.

You have to be some sort of sick bastard to watch college football... One day you just have to grow up and come to terms that you aren't in college anymore. Grow up...

Do what you wish on a Friday night. I would rather watch a movie, spend time with family and friends than watch high school sports. I stopped caring about that stuff when I graduated, but that's just me. Carry on...

get'em_griz said:
BigSkyBears said:
HowardRoss280 said:
BigSkyBears said:

I guess college football coaches didn't get that memo. Better tell them not to watch high school football players because it's weird.

Exactly! Personally, i believe if you are a true fan of football you don't care what age you watch, you just watch because you love the game of football. And watching high school football on a Friday night doesn't mean you still are living in your high school days. It means you are a fan of the game. Do you think college coaches don't watch high school football because it's weird?? That's insane....not trying to be rude, but seriously.

BigSkyBears said:
Do what you wish on a Friday night. I would rather watch a movie, spend time with family and friends than watch high school sports. I stopped caring about that stuff when I graduated, but that's just me. Carry on...

What grade are you at UNC?

BigSkyBears said:

Highschool sports offer great competition and are a big part of some communities. As far as hanging out with family and friends, well they are all at the highschool games were I live. I started doing play by play for highschool football games and color for girls and boys basketball and have had a blast.
Do yourself a favor bigskybear and go check out the highschool teams in your area.

Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:

Highschool sports offer great competition and are a big part of some communities. As far as hanging out with family and friends, well they are all at the highschool games were I live. I started doing play by play for highschool football games and color for girls and boys basketball and have had a blast.
Do yourself a favor bigskybear and go check out the highschool teams in your area.

Yes. Exaxtly. It's one thing to not be a fan of sports in general, and in that case I totally understand not wanting to spend a Friday night watching high school sports, but anyone on this forum is probably a sports fan, and high school is where it all begins. With high school, you have the chance to watch a kid grow and turn into what could be a college star one day.

HowardRoss280 said:
Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:

Yes. Exaxtly. It's one thing to not be a fan of sports in general, and in that case I totally understand not wanting to spend a Friday night watching high school sports, but anyone on this forum is probably a sports fan, and high school is where it all begins. With high school, you have the chance to watch a kid grow and turn into what could be a college star one day.

Howard Ross you are correct I got to watch a young man play all his highschool games, then followed his college career and now enjoy following his journey in the NFL. It all starts in highschool

And that seems to be the theme for this year as well, with the talents of Seth Schneider, Conor Quick, Carson Shuman and Trevor Welnel leading the way.

They also return the following players who played major roles in their semi-final run last year:

DE Justin Jenks - 6'1", 230 lbs. (Senior)

AA 1st Team All-State DL as a junior. He currently holds the longest shot put mark going into State this weekend at 59 feet. Justin is also right up there with Conor Quick as one of the strongest players in AA. Will be interesting to see if Capital decides to put him on the offensive line next year because they have spots open at RT and C due to graduation.

TE Matt Culpon - 6'2", 220 lbs. (Senior)

Kalispell Glacier's Max Morris may be the best overall TE prospect in the state this upcoming fall but Matt can definitely stake his claim as the best blocking TE. He has better blocking tape than most of the offensive lineman in this class. Hopefully Capital can expand his role a little bit because he is a good athlete.

DB Matt McGinley - 5'10", 170 lbs. (Senior)

Matt started both ways at WR and DB for last year's team and may move into a larger role this year as the starting QB. Most of his tape shows him at DB and he is a solid defender on the outside. I also think he can be really effective as the QB in the Capital offense. He's fast and elusive as a runner.

WR Conor McCarvel - 5'10", 175 lbs. (Senior)

Will be the #1 WR next year for the Bruins. Started every game last year as a junior. May play both ways as a DB.

DL Alaric Greil - 6'3", 220 lbs. (Junior)

Alaric started every game at DT as a sophomore last year and he is slated to be one of the top prospects for the class of 2019 in Montana. The kid is built differently. Will be a junior next fall and will once again line up along Conor Quick and Justin Jenks. I don't know if he will play offense but, like Jenks, there are two spots open on the offensive line. He could also be a bruising fullback.

Offensive coaching staff, take a seat. Capital Highs offense the past two seasons, embarrassing. And embarrassing is saying it nicely. As I was watching film of the 2016 season, countless times I saw the defense carrying the team, and not just carrying the team, but winning single handedly, without any offensive help.

I'm not going to be one to call out any coaches because I simply don't know the gameplan or what they are trying to accomplish. But based off some observations, Helena Capital is going to try to pound the rock on first, second, and third down until the opponent starts to break. There are common advantages and disadvantages to that system. Advantages include slowing the game down to keep a fast-paced offense off the field and control the clock while wearing down the opponent. This worked for a period of time in the first half of both of their matchups with Billings Senior in 2016. However, the dam eventually broke and Senior's explosiveness on offense took over. Which leads me to the #1 disadvantage with a run-heavy, ball control offense. Capital is not able to play from behind because their offense isn't built for it.

With all that said, Capital still made it to the semi-finals with all of these "issues" because their offensive line was that good and all of their best players return from that line. It's no secret what Capital is going to run on offense in 2017: run the ball with Seth Schneider behind a big offensive line. And their defense is going to be good once again. In my opinion, it is State title or bust for this year's Capital team.

VimSince03 said:
And that seems to be the theme for this year as well, with the talents of Seth Schneider, Conor Quick, Carson Shuman and Trevor Welnel leading the way.

They also return the following players who played major roles in their semi-final run last year:

DE Justin Jenks - 6'1", 230 lbs. (Senior)

AA 1st Team All-State DL as a junior. He currently holds the longest shot put mark going into State this weekend at 59 feet. Justin is also right up there with Conor Quick as one of the strongest players in AA. Will be interesting to see if Capital decides to put him on the offensive line next year because they have spots open at RT and C due to graduation.

TE Matt Culpon - 6'2", 220 lbs. (Senior)

Kalispell Glacier's Max Morris may be the best overall TE prospect in the state this upcoming fall but Matt can definitely stake his claim as the best blocking TE. He has better blocking tape than most of the offensive lineman in this class. Hopefully Capital can expand his role a little bit because he is a good athlete.

DB Matt McGinley - 5'10", 170 lbs. (Senior)

Matt started both ways at WR and DB for last year's team and may move into a larger role this year as the starting QB. Most of his tape shows him at DB and he is a solid defender on the outside. I also think he can be really effective as the QB in the Capital offense. He's fast and elusive as a runner.

WR Conor McCarvel - 5'10", 175 lbs. (Senior)

Will be the #1 WR next year for the Bruins. Started every game last year as a junior. May play both ways as a DB.

DL Alaric Greil - 6'3", 220 lbs. (Junior)

Alaric started every game at DT as a sophomore last year and he is slated to be one of the top prospects for the class of 2019 in Montana. The kid is built differently. Will be a junior next fall and will once again line up along Conor Quick and Justin Jenks. I don't know if he will play offense but, like Jenks, there are two spots open on the offensive line. He could also be a bruising fullback.

Offensive coaching staff, take a seat. Capital Highs offense the past two seasons, embarrassing. And embarrassing is saying it nicely. As I was watching film of the 2016 season, countless times I saw the defense carrying the team, and not just carrying the team, but winning single handedly, without any offensive help.

I'm not going to be one to call out any coaches because I simply don't know the gameplan or what they are trying to accomplish. But based off some observations, Helena Capital is going to try to pound the rock on first, second, and third down until the opponent starts to break. There are common advantages and disadvantages to that system. Advantages include slowing the game down to keep a fast-paced offense off the field and control the clock while wearing down the opponent. This worked for a period of time in the first half of both of their matchups with Billings Senior in 2016. However, the dam eventually broke and Senior's explosiveness on offense took over. Which leads me to the #1 disadvantage with a run-heavy, ball control offense. Capital is not able to play from behind because their offense isn't built for it.

With all that said, Capital still made it to the semi-finals with all of these "issues" because their offensive line was that good and all of their best players return from that line. It's no secret what Capital is going to run on offense in 2017: run the ball with Seth Schneider behind a big offensive line. And their defense is going to be good once again. In my opinion, it is State title or bust for this year's Capital team.

Yes all those returners will be nice for Capital and gives them a huge advantage. I do agree with you that the coaching staff does want to pound the ball and run in the majority, and I think that is the correct play call, but watching film and reviewing all their games it seems like a common trend to start the game with the plan to run it and then when they fall behind early, even it is a small lead, they freak out and throw it deep every time. Their play calls are mostly inside run, deep post and seems, with a bubble screen scattered into the play calling. But I think if they could just stick with the run they would be very well off. Especially with that I-line and Seth. And I agree vim, I also think it's state title or bust with that amount of talent on the roster.

Vim and Howard,

I hope you guys keep posting discussion on HS football on here. It is nice to have some football talk that is unbias and has some substance on here.

Also, attending HS football games can be a great thing to do with the family whether you have family playing in the game or not. One of my favorite things to do in the fall is to take my son to HS football games. It's a great place to see people in the community and an opportunity for my son to play with his friends and develop a love for the game. Beats the hell out of staying at home.

Sam A. Blitz said:
Vim and Howard,

I hope you guys keep posting discussion on HS football on here. It is nice to have some football talk that is unbias and has some substance on here.

Also, attending HS football games can be a great thing to do with the family whether you have family playing in the game or not. One of my favorite things to do in the fall is to take my son to HS football games. It's a great place to see people in the community and an opportunity for my son to play with his friends and develop a love for the game. Beats the hell out of staying at home.

Much appreciated. Vim and I are always discussing football, and love to have a healthy debate on who we think is worthy of praise or not. We have had many discussions on players who are on top10 lists who we think should or shouldn't be on there, and it's great! So thanks for reading and contributing to the conversation!

I also enjoy this discussion and think it highly appropriate to this forum. Also the title clearly states the subject matter so if some don't want to join they can "move on." I love it when Montana kids go on to play for the Griz. I remember hearing about this phenomenal player at a Class C school down the road, and had the chance to see Chase Reynolds in two of his high school games. He was pretty amazing to watch at that level, and of course I have followed his career ever since, as a Griz and now the Rams.

grizfromhel said:
I also enjoy this discussion and think it highly appropriate to this forum. Also the title clearly states the subject matter so if some don't want to join they can "move on." I love it when Montana kids go on to play for the Griz. I remember hearing about this phenomenal player at a Class C school down the road, and had the chance to see Chase Reynolds in two of his high school games. He was pretty amazing to watch at that level, and of course I have followed his career ever since, as a Griz and now the Rams.

Glad you enjoy! Chase is a great example of why it's so exciting to watch high school football and watch these kids grow!

Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:

No thanks. Sports aren't that important to me. My wife also stopped caring about high school sports the day she graduated, so we're both good doing other things.

BigSkyBears said:
Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:

No thanks. Sports aren't that important to me. My wife also stopped caring about high school sports the day she graduated, so we're both good doing other things.

And if you are okay with doing other things instead of watching high school sports than that is totally okay. But it doesn't mean it's weird because someone else likes to. But id probably say that since this is a thread about high school football, you'd most likely find something's else more interesting.

Back