• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

High School Football Talk

BigSkyBears said:
Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:
Do what you wish on a Friday night. I would rather watch a movie, spend time with family and friends than watch high school sports. I stopped caring about that stuff when I graduated, but that's just me. Carry on...

Highschool sports offer great competition and are a big part of some communities. As far as hanging out with family and friends, well they are all at the highschool games were I live. I started doing play by play for highschool football games and color for girls and boys basketball and have had a blast.
Do yourself a favor bigskybear and go check out the highschool teams in your area.

No thanks. Sports aren't that important to me. My wife also stopped caring about high school sports the day she graduated, so we're both good doing other things.

Are you sure you graduated? You have the maturity of an 8th grader...weirdo

Sam A. Blitz said:
BigSkyBears said:
Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:
Do what you wish on a Friday night. I would rather watch a movie, spend time with family and friends than watch high school sports. I stopped caring about that stuff when I graduated, but that's just me. Carry on...

Highschool sports offer great competition and are a big part of some communities. As far as hanging out with family and friends, well they are all at the highschool games were I live. I started doing play by play for highschool football games and color for girls and boys basketball and have had a blast.
Do yourself a favor bigskybear and go check out the highschool teams in your area.

No thanks. Sports aren't that important to me. My wife also stopped caring about high school sports the day she graduated, so we're both good doing other things.

I don't think anyone who still attends high school activities such as yourself, should ever call someone else immature.

BigSkyBears said:
Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:

Curious, if sports aren't that important, why you are posting on a football message board for a team that you are not an alumni of or cheer for. Music is not that important to me so I don't post on music message boards or even read them. I for sure don't think it's weird that people like listening to garage bands, marching bands or violin orchestras. I don't take issue with you not liking HS sports (or sports I guess) but why is it weird that people do. You come off as the weirdo to me because you think it's weird.

BigSkyBears said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
BigSkyBears said:
Mavman said:

I don't think anyone who still attends high school activities such as yourself, should ever call someone else immature.

Alright if you don't like high school sports or sports in general that's fine. But I'd appreciate it if you would go comment on some kind of forum you did have interest in so everyone here could talk about high school football. That is the name of the thread and therefore the preferred topic. So with that being said, let's get back to the subject at hand

HowardRoss280: whom do you think are some of the top players in the state next year and where do you think they'll end up playing college ball?

getgrizzy said:
HowardRoss280: whom do you think are some of the top players in the state next year and where do you think they'll end up playing college ball?

this and did I miss you and vims updated list ? thanks...

krammer said:
getgrizzy said:

See the Montana Recruits thread for an answer. :thumb:

krammer said:
getgrizzy said:

Vim and I are coming out with a new ranking, a top 30 next week. But previously we both had top 10s on the Montana recruiting 2018 thread! Vims is on the original post and mine is buried in there somewhere(just checked it is on the middle of page 4) because I couldn't get ahold of Peytonlives to get my list on the original post as well.

HowardRoss280 said:
krammer said:
getgrizzy said:

Vim and I are coming out with a new ranking, a top 30 next week. But previously we both had top 10s on the Montana recruiting 2018 thread! Vims is on the original post and mine is buried in there somewhere(just checked it is on the middle of page 4) because I couldn't get ahold of Peytonlives to get my list on the original post as well.

Top 10 Montana Football Players for the 2018 Class (First Draft):

1.) Gabe Sulser (Billings Senior) - 5'9", 160 lbs. - WR/DB
2.) Conor Quick (Helena Capital) - 6'2", 275 lbs. - OL/DL
3.) Drew Turner (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'0", 205 lbs. - RB
4.) Max Morris (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'5", 225 lbs. - TE
5.) Nolan Askelson (Billings Senior) - 6'2", 205 lbs. - LB
6.) Seth Schneider (Helena Capital) - 6'0", 205 lbs. - RB/LB
7.) Joseph McElroy (Missoula Loyola) - 6'4", 240 lbs. - OL/DT
8.) Mark Estes (Drummond/Philipsburg) - 6'1", 175 lbs. - ATH
9.) Easton Hatfield (Townsend) - 6'4", 180 lbs. - WR
10.) Nick Germer (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'2", 175 lbs. - WR

HowardRoss280's initial ranking:

1.) Gabe Sulser (Billings Senior) - 5'9", 160 lbs. - WR/DB
2.) Drew Turner (Kalispell Glacier) - 6'0", 205 lbs. - RB
3.) Nolan Askelson (Billings Senior) - 6'2", 205 lbs. - LB
4.) Seth Schneider (Helena Capital) - 6'0", 205 lbs. - RB/LB
5.) Nick Germer (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'2", 175 lbs. - WR
6.) Karson Wheat (Deer Lodge) - 6'2", 275 lbs. - OL/DT
7.) Carson Shuman (Helena Capital) 6'4", 275 lbs. - OL
8.) Easton Hatfield (Townsend) - 6'4", 180 lbs. - WR
9.) Joseph McElroy (Missoula Loyola) - 6'4", 240 lbs. - OL/DT
10.) Kevin Boes (Great Falls High) - 6'3", 185 lbs. - QB

Here are some of the notes and key points that went along with my initial top 10 as well. Just some strengths and weaknesses for each kid.
1.Gabe Sulser (Billings Senior)- 5'9" 160lbs, WR/DB. Outstanding talent. Smaller in size but plays big. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/603572/583
2.Drew Turner (Kalispell Glacier)- 6'0" 205lbs, RB. Power runner. Surprising speed. Slow cuts at times. Good ball carrier vision. http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3753115/583
3.Nolan Askelson (Billings Senior)- 6'2" 205 lbs, LB. Aggressive, loves contact. Flows to the ball well on defense. http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4483082/583
4.Seth Schneider (Helena Capital)- 6'0" 205lbs, RB/LB. Good runner, good vision. Great tackler, one of if not the best tackler in this class. http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5362156/583
5.Nick Germer (Missoula Sentinel)- 6'2" 175lbs, WR. Good speed, sure hands. Deep threat. One cut and go WR. http://www.hudl.com/profile/4041596/nick-germer/videos
6.Karson Wheat (Deer Lodge)- 6'2" 275, OL/DT. One of if not the best interior d-lineman in the class. Dominant. Destructive. Always near the ball.
7.Carson Shuman (Helena Capital)- 6'4" 275lbs, OL. Mauler. Good feet. Slow with pulling, but quick, explosive off the ball. https://www.hudl.com/profile/5362150/ca
8.Easton Hatfield (Townsend)- 6'4" 180lbs, WR. Sure handed, not flashy speed but possession, route running WR. Could transition well into TE in college. http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6525735/586
9.Joseph McElroy (Missoula Loyola)- 6'4" 240lbs, OL/DT. Good speed for his size. Gets to second level well. Occasionally a one-and-done blocker. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4210495/58
10.Kevin Boes (Great Falls High)- 6'3" 185lbs, QB. Good down field vision, keeps his eyes downfield. Semi comfortable in the pocket, occasionally takes off too soon. http://www.hudl.com/profile/4508918/kevin-boes/videos

getgrizzy said:

This article from the Great Falls Tribune gives a little insight into how Gabe's recruitment is going heading into his senior year: http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2017/05/19/seniors-sulser-back-track/101902914/. UM, MSU, UND, NDSU, Hawaii, and Idaho have all offered. The Pac-12 team to watch will be Washington.

VimSince03 said:
getgrizzy said:

This article from the Great Falls Tribune gives a little insight into how Gabe's recruitment is going heading into his senior year: http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/sports/2017/05/19/seniors-sulser-back-track/101902914/. UM, MSU, UND, NDSU, Hawaii, and Idaho have all offered. The Pac-12 team to watch will be Washington.

I think that kind of told me if he gets a Pac-12 offer or a high level MWC offer from like a Boise then he will probably go that route, but if not the Montana and MSU offer are more favorable than NDSU, UND, Hawaii or Idaho offers.

grizd said:
BigSkyBears said:
Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:

Curious, if sports aren't that important, why you are posting on a football message board for a team that you are not an alumni of or cheer for. Music is not that important to me so I don't post on music message boards or even read them. I for sure don't think it's weird that people like listening to garage bands, marching bands or violin orchestras. I don't take issue with you not liking HS sports (or sports I guess) but why is it weird that people do. You come off as the weirdo to me because you think it's weird.

Never said football or sports weren't important important to me. I like college and NFL, but I don't attend high school events, and I haven't since I was in high school. I think it's weird that adults go watch 13 to 17 year old kids play a sport. If your son or daughter or close friend plays, of course go support them. Other than that, I think it's odd that adults go to high school events. At some point you need to move on from high school.

BigSkyBears said:
grizd said:
BigSkyBears said:
Mavman said:

Never said football or sports weren't important important to me. I like college and NFL, but I don't attend high school events, and I haven't since I was in high school. I think it's weird that adults go watch 13 to 17 year old kids play a sport. If your son or daughter or close friend plays, of course go support them. Other than that, I think it's odd that adults go to high school events. At some point you need to move on from high school.

I've asked you nicely once and I'll do it again, please, if you don't like high school football or high school sports in general don't comment on this thread. Just because we like high school football doesn't mean we haven't moved on. Like I have said before high school football is very important to communities and gives us the opportunity to watch kids mature as athletes. If you don't like it that's fine, but as of right now you are clogging up this particular thread and being a distraction to those of us who are trying to talk.

HowardRoss280 said:
BigSkyBears said:
grizd said:
BigSkyBears said:

I've asked you nicely once and I'll do it again, please, if you don't like high school football or high school sports in general don't comment on this thread. Just because we like high school football doesn't mean we haven't moved on. Like I have said before high school football is very important to communities and gives us the opportunity to watch kids mature as athletes. If you don't like it that's fine, but as of right now you are clogging up this particular thread and being a distraction to those of us who are trying to talk.

Nothing wrong with following high school sports. In most towns in Montana it's the only entertainment in town. Just look at Texas where high school football is a religion. If you have a problem with this thread stay out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a fan of amateur football. I'll watch any kind, any where. I used to live across the street from a high school stadium and often watched games there because there is nothing better than to be out under the lights on a Friday night in the fall. If that makes me weird then so be it.

BigSkyBears said:
grizd said:
BigSkyBears said:
Mavman said:

That makes sense. You never graduated college, so you never had to move on from college... Congrats on graduating HS though, you seem really proud of it.

This is usually the day I would post a new topic, and the planned topic is the question of quality over quantity when it comes to Class B/C vs Class AA/A with producing talent for the next level. But with the newest ranking coming out I will be spending most of today watching film, and going over those I have already watched, and reviewing my list. So I postponed the topic until next week, and instead I'm asking everyone to throw some names of kids out there that are in the class of 2018 that you think are good that might not be getting the attention they deserve. Just throw a name and school out there and I am more than happy to watch their hudl highlight!Also, feel free to add any workout or training of sorts anyone has been doing to better themselves that might not be related to school sports. Like I said on the 2018 recruits page, any work they are doing to better themselves is being taken into consideration! Thanks you guys!

Stay the course Howard. Some of us do want to hear about who's coming up. Plus, it adds to the Friday night games to have an idea who to watch. Some of these kids will become Griz or Cats and we will all be talking about that eventually.

My last comment to Bigskybear. You do realize that the average fan going to a highschool game ( not parent or student) pay for the bulk of the costs for officials, stadium upkeep, and equipment. In most school districts sports programs are losing funding so community support keeps sports alive.

Back