• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If Stitt ends up a bust next season, who would you hire?

Paytonlives said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
If Montana were to hire a defensive minded head coach with an emphasis on running the ball, I think they would be a perennial top 5 program again.

A guy who would be a very good hire would be Scottie Hazelton, linebackers coach with the Jags. He'll be out of a job after this year. He was an excellent defensive coordinator for NDSU. Grew up and played college ball in Colorado and spent time at USC as a linebackers coach and Nevada as a defensive coordinator. He's known to be an excellent recruiter and is a really fiery guy. Would have recruiting ties to the west coast and Colorado as well as the Midwest.

Not sure UM fans would show up for ground and pound football...

Ya I mean look at all the fans who showed up to watch UM play today. Far more exciting brand of football.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Paytonlives said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
If Montana were to hire a defensive minded head coach with an emphasis on running the ball, I think they would be a perennial top 5 program again.

A guy who would be a very good hire would be Scottie Hazelton, linebackers coach with the Jags. He'll be out of a job after this year. He was an excellent defensive coordinator for NDSU. Grew up and played college ball in Colorado and spent time at USC as a linebackers coach and Nevada as a defensive coordinator. He's known to be an excellent recruiter and is a really fiery guy. Would have recruiting ties to the west coast and Colorado as well as the Midwest.

Not sure UM fans would show up for ground and pound football...

Ya I mean look at all the fans who showed up to watch UM play today. Far more exciting brand of football.
based on what I saw on tv there were still more fans in or near WA Griz than at the "Inferno" How long until Chavez takes an ad in the Missoulian asking Griz fans for support again?

2011BisonAlumni said:

THIS

srgrizizen said:
Pater_Ursus_Arctos said:
Dont know who, but would seek a coach that has the same program mind set as Alabama and NDSU. That would be my first step.

3-4 yards and a pile of dust on Offense and a hard nose for Defense.

Because it's impossible to have a great, hard nose defense unless you couple it with a boring offense?? :roll:

Boring? Really...
Lets see Bama wins the SEC 54-16 and NDSU wins today 45-7.

Ill take that boring EVERY Saturday and if you wouldnt you're nuts.

This talk of building "pipelines" is laughable. Build a pipeline to Texas, build a pipeline to the islands, build a pipeline to California.

Please forget this pipeline nonsense and focus on building a fence. Build a fence around Montana and create a program that caters to the strength of its high school programs. What talent can Montana consistently produce? Big, tough, sound, physical football players from within the state. Stop with this soft, spread basketball brand that Montana has become where we have to go searching for these mythical pipelines. Easy examples of teams who focus in state:

NDSU (who we are light years behind now) - http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/2449/north-dakota-state-bison

Wisconsin - http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/275/wisconsin-badgers

Houston (?!?) - http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/2/4/10910394/houston-cougars-football-tom-herman-signing-day-ed-oliver

Phoenix_Griz said:
This talk of building "pipelines" is laughable. Build a pipeline to Texas, build a pipeline to the islands, build a pipeline to California.

Please forget this pipeline nonsense and focus on building a fence. Build a fence around Montana and create a program that caters to the strength of its high school programs. What talent can Montana consistently produce? Big, tough, sound, physical football players from within the state. Stop with this soft, spread basketball brand that Montana has become where we have to go searching for these mythical pipelines. Easy examples of teams who focus in state:

NDSU (who we are light years behind now) - http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/2449/north-dakota-state-bison

Wisconsin - http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/275/wisconsin-badgers

Houston (?!?) - http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/2/4/10910394/houston-cougars-football-tom-herman-signing-day-ed-oliver

NDSU does not focus on in-state kids anymore than UM does. And comparing UM with Houston is like comparing apples to oranges considering the number of recruitable kids in each state.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Phoenix_Griz said:

NDSU does not focus on in-state kids anymore than UM does. And comparing UM with Houston is like comparing apples to oranges considering the number of recruitable kids in each state.

So.......You see a lot of in-state skill players being recruited every year by D1 programs? Lots of 4.4 receivers running the fields of Montana? Saban and Meyers are beating down the doors of the Highline receiving empire? You're watching a different game than I am I guess.

Phoenix_Griz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Phoenix_Griz said:

So.......You see a lot of in-state skill players being recruited every year by D1 programs? Lots of 4.4 receivers running the fields of Montana? Saban and Meyers are beating down the doors of the Highline receiving empire? You're watching a different game than I am I guess.

WTF are you talking about. Where in my post did I say anything that even resembles your mouth vomit? No matter what UM tries to do on the field, there are only so many Montana kids. They will still have to rely heavily on out-of-state kids.

A recruiting class is 15-20 generally. So if the MO of the hypothetical new coach was on power football, you don't think Montana can field 50-70% of that from in-state talent? I guarantee you it could.

If the MO is to continue this Stitt spread offense, then you are correct. Montana high schools do not have the talent to field a team suited to this type of football.

Phoenix_Griz said:
A recruiting class is 15-20 generally. So if the MO of the hypothetical new coach was on power football, you don't think Montana can field 50-70% of that from in-state talent? I guarantee you it could.

I disagree. There are not that many FCS caliber players in Montana that the Griz could be competitive on a National level.

Phoenix_Griz said:

If the MO is to continue this Stitt spread offense, then you are correct. Montana high schools do not have the talent to field a team suited to this type of football.

Name the kids from this year's Montana high school senior class that the Griz, and or the Cats should be recruiting to build a POWER RUN GAME behind for the future. Hell Vim's top offensive lineman in the state is rated as only the 16th best player in the class. The top running back he has listed is only the 28th best player in the state and that kid is going to North Dakota State to do field events in track. Not to mention, this whole Montana kids are tougher than everybody else thing is completely stupid too. Of Vim's top 100, not even 10 of them live or work on a farm. That whole Montana farm boy thing went out the window a lonnnggggggg time ago.

George Ferguson said:
Phoenix_Griz said:

Name the kids from this year's Montana high school senior class that the Griz, and or the Cats should be recruiting to build a POWER RUN GAME behind for the future. Hell Vim's top offensive lineman in the state is rated as only the 16th best player in the class. The top running back he has listed is only the 28th best player in the state and that kid is going to North Dakota State to do field events in track. Not to mention, this whole Montana kids are tougher than everybody else thing is completely stupid too. Of Vim's top 100, not even 10 of them live or work on a farm. That whole Montana farm boy thing went out the window a lonnnggggggg time ago.
Name the team whose focus was "own the state" and name the city where the trophy resides

Grizbeer said:
George Ferguson said:
Phoenix_Griz said:

Name the team whose focus was "own the state" and name the city where the trophy resides

Name the team that owned the state that was a factor on the National level?

Spanky said:
Not without coaching the fundamentals of football.

So give us your lecture on the fundamentals of football there Spanky..... You seem to be the king of taking pot shots. So tell us what you would have done differently..

Pack, please explain why our team with adequate talent fell to the two conference bottom dwellers, Northern Colorado and State College?

Spanky said:
Pack, please explain why our team with adequate talent fell to the two conference bottom dwellers, Northern Colorado and State College?

I think you calling the Griz talent "adequate" kind of answers your own question.

Grizbeer said:
George Ferguson said:
Phoenix_Griz said:

Ummmmm, if you're going to say that then every single bit of the credit goes to Rob Ash and the previous staff because there wasn't a single Montana-born player that Choate recruited that had any baring, let alone impact on the outcome of this year's Cat-Griz game. Not ONE. All of the Montana kids that had any impact on that game for the Bobcats were ALL recruited by the previous staff. Even Padmos had verbally committed before Ash got canned. I guess Peppenger was a Choate staff recruit, and he had two FG's blocked in that game. So fine, Rob Ash owned the state in 2016.

George Ferguson said:
Ummmmm, if you're going to say that then every single bit of the credit goes to Rob Ash and the previous staff because there wasn't a single Montana-born player that Choate recruited that had any baring, let alone impact on the outcome of this year's Cat-Griz game. Not ONE. All of the Montana kids that had any impact on that game for the Bobcats were ALL recruited by the previous staff. Even Padmos had verbally committed before Ash got canned. I guess Peppenger was a Choate staff recruit, and he had two FG's blocked in that game. So fine, Rob Ash owned the state in 2016.
You really have this Montana football thingy all figured out, don't you?
George Ferguson said:
SoldierGriz said:
havgrizfan said:
Last time I checked, the Cats are pretty bigtime losers this season. I don't give Choate crap at all. He's clearly a good football coach. But trying to equate ANYTHING the Bobcats are doing this season to the Griz being losers is absolutely f-----in moronic. The Cats are by FAR the worst team in the Big Sky. Stats might be for losers, but this thread is a f----n loser.
We'll see. Today's Griz will not beat the cats.
I'll bet paycheck to paycheck on that one.

I think Griz Football program needs to become proactive instead being reactive as it has been since Coach Hauck moved on. They need to decide what kind of offense they are committed to. Whether it is smash mouth pro set, hurry up spread, wishbone, etc. Decide and build a plan to become a dominant power with that offense. The same can be done with regard to defense.
In essence, have a "business plan" and stick to it. Any good business plan can be amended if needed. Once this is decided, then recruiting a coach that has the credentials and skill sets that best fit would be simplified. It would make sense over recruiting a coach because he has a "good offense".
NDSU is successful because they have stayed the course as has EWU and CalPoly. I think this contributed to Griz dominance with Coach Hauck. He was around for quite some time.
Once an offensive and defensive plan has been set, the players that fit can be identified and recruited.
This is probably easier said than done. Getting all the interested parties on board would be like trying to herd cats and would take an exceptionally strong leader.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
I think Griz Football program needs to become proactive instead being reactive as it has been since Coach Hauck moved on. They need to decide what kind of offense they are committed to. Whether it is smash mouth pro set, hurry up spread, wishbone, etc. Decide and build a plan to become a dominant power with that offense. The same can be done with regard to defense.
In essence, have a "business plan" and stick to it. Any good business plan can be amended if needed. Once this is decided, then recruiting a coach that has the credentials and skill sets that best fit would be simplified. It would make sense over recruiting a coach because he has a "good offense".
NDSU is successful because they have stayed the course as has EWU and CalPoly. I think this contributed to Griz dominance with Coach Hauck. He was around for quite some time.
Once an offensive and defensive plan has been set, the players that fit can be identified and recruited.
This is probably easier said than done. Getting all the interested parties on board would be like trying to herd cats and would take an exceptionally strong leader.

This seems pretty self evident. Is there evidence that the current coaching staff is not trying to recruit to a specific "business plan," or is it just that some people don't like the plan? :?:

Back