• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If Stitt ends up a bust next season, who would you hire?

George Ferguson said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
I think it would be interesting to know how many applied for the position, how many applications were given serious review and how many applicants were personally contacted by the AD. How many applicants were interviewed?
I may be under the false impression that Stitt was contacted without applying and was being promoted by his mentor and former U Coach Joe Glenn.
Just how was Stitt chosen over the other applicants? If I am under false impressions please correct me.

I do not know how he was chosen over others, but it is pretty normal for AD's to contact coaches, even those that did not initially apply. Also, it is not uncommon for former ADs or coaches, like Glenn, to call an AD and tout another coach for a position.

That's funny. One trip to Spokane was to interview Stitt, not Baldwin....

Thank you for your input. I still am wondering how the whole process went and how many candidates were given the same treatment as Stitt.

If you have an issue with Haslam's process for Stitt, then I'm assuming you take issue with the same way Haslam went after Baldwin. Beau didn't apply for the job or call and ask about it. Haslam pursued him HARD. Phone calls and two trips to Spokane. So in the interest of fairness, if you're questioning the manner in which Kent went after Stitt, then it applies to how he tried to get Beau too.

PlayerRep said:
The ncaa investigation was not fought properly, and Engstrom/UM agreed to too much stuff/penalty.
As a metaphor, an NCAA misdemeanor was committed, but UM voluntarily upped the charge to a felony, pleaded itself guilty, and sentenced itself to just about the maximum. It was an interesting strategy.

GrizFan2011 said:
George Ferguson said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I do not know how he was chosen over others, but it is pretty normal for AD's to contact coaches, even those that did not initially apply. Also, it is not uncommon for former ADs or coaches, like Glenn, to call an AD and tout another coach for a position.

Thank you for your input. I still am wondering how the whole process went and how many candidates were given the same treatment as Stitt.

If you have an issue with Haslam's process for Stitt, then I'm assuming you take issue with the same way Haslam went after Baldwin. Beau didn't apply for the job or call and ask about it. Haslam pursued him HARD. Phone calls and two trips to Spokane. So in the interest of fairness, if you're questioning the manner in which Kent went after Stitt, then it applies to how he tried to get Beau too.

That's funny. One of those trips to Spokane was to interview Stitt, not Baldwin....

If Montana were to hire a defensive minded head coach with an emphasis on running the ball, I think they would be a perennial top 5 program again.

A guy who would be a very good hire would be Scottie Hazelton, linebackers coach with the Jags. He'll be out of a job after this year. He was an excellent defensive coordinator for NDSU. Grew up and played college ball in Colorado and spent time at USC as a linebackers coach and Nevada as a defensive coordinator. He's known to be an excellent recruiter and is a really fiery guy. Would have recruiting ties to the west coast and Colorado as well as the Midwest.

2011BisonAlumni said:
If Montana were to hire a defensive minded head coach with an emphasis on running the ball, I think they would be a perennial top 5 program again.

A guy who would be a very good hire would be Scottie Hazelton, linebackers coach with the Jags. He'll be out of a job after this year. He was an excellent defensive coordinator for NDSU. Grew up and played college ball in Colorado and spent time at USC as a linebackers coach and Nevada as a defensive coordinator. He's known to be an excellent recruiter and is a really fiery guy. Would have recruiting ties to the west coast and Colorado as well as the Midwest.

Not sure UM fans would show up for ground and pound football...

Paytonlives said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Not sure UM fans would show up for ground and pound football...

I think they'll show up for winning football no matter how it happens, how many more 6-5 years would it take for the casual fan to quit showing up? 2 or 3? When that 26,000 number starts dropping to 24...22...20...?...the damage will be done. Not everyone is like us who will be there regardless of record.

I'll take a 9-2 season where we average 20 or under per game over a 6-5 season where we average over 30 any day and twice on Sunday's!☺

B_Kross said:
Note that I do not want this to be another "DIE STITT DIE" thread, but it is safe to say he'll be on the hot seat next year. Assuming we have another season where we fail to make the playoffs capped by a loss to the Cats, who should be the new HC?

Inb4 everyone crowd-funds to bring Hauck back.

Stitt... :lol:

In all seriousness, I believe he needs more than three years to implement his program. Shit, most players from last year's recruiting class will be in their first year starting. I'd say regardless of what happens next year he should be retained for at least one more season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrizFan2011 said:
GrizFan2011 said:
George Ferguson said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

That's funny. One of those trips to Spokane was to interview Stitt, not Baldwin....

My recollection is that Stitt and Haslam talked in Spokane at the time of the UM/EWU playoff game.

Stitt should be given next year only with the understanding he puts an end to the morale problems and starts teaching the student-athletes the basics of the game. Recruiting talent is important, but means nothing if they don't know what to do on the field.

Spanky said:
Stitt should be given next year only with the understanding he puts an end to the morale problems and starts teaching the student-athletes the basics of the game. Recruiting talent is important, but means nothing if they don't know what to do on the field.

....morale problem.......????????

as in a bust as in a sculpture for his unprecedented, undefeated team next year, or as in a bust? squirrel needs to know.

Grumbling is in order. The University is in shambles and the football team is a disaster.
Time to saddle up, go to work and fix the problems.
Finally, The BOR got off their rears and fired Engstrom. Now, it's time for Haslam to give Stitt his marching orders with one more opportunity to get it done.

How many good coaches have had bad years at successful programs? Many, especially at the beginning of their tenure during a period of transition.

I think Penn State is a good comparison. Historically successful program, who had a transition that included the firing of coaches and AD, penalties by the NCAA, and a transition coach that lasted 2 years. James Franklin went 7-6 each of his first two years, graduated their stud QB last year, and now are 10-2 and in the Top 10 in Franklin's 3rd season.

I'm not saying that success next year is a sure thing, but I don't think it is time yet to give up on this staff and players. I think we have the talent to do some damage next year.

Back