• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kaimin Mending Fences

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Here's hoping the young journalist winds up covering a Power 5 school somewhere that has turned the Athletic Department operations over to a foundation that dwarfs the academic budget of the school. You know, those schools that ensure the football coach is the highest paid employee at the school, the Athletic Director is the second highest paid individual and both basketball coaches salaries make the university president's salary look like a congessional salary...

Yup.. Take Nick Saban for an example. Nick Saban’s actual base salary is $245,000 per year, but its the boosters who help pay the rest of his 11.15 million dollar salary. They call that the "talent fee".

If I had my name being associated with rape in the newspaper I would be seeking legal counsel. At what point does the paper cross the line of slander?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrizMusician said:
If I had my name being associated with rape in the newspaper I would be seeking legal counsel. At what point does the paper cross the line of slander?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already would have filed if I was Hauck

signedbewildered said:
The Unelected Power Behind UM

Missoulian guest column
By Hunter Pauli, Former Kaimin Editor

Every Grizzly football game begins with a pledge of allegiance to American democracy, but at the University of Montana the ideal of a community electing its leaders is thrown out in favor of rule by political appointees, unelected bureaucrats and local oligarchs.

Those foaming over the hiring of Bobby Hauck aren't upset because the university community had a vote for head football coach and their candidate lost. They're upset because unelected boosters handpicked a man who inadvertently correlated the University of Montana with rape, driving down enrollment for years and gutting academics. At the behest of Grizzly athletics' private donors, this man was hired by an athletic director appointed by a university president himself appointed by a board of regents appointed by the highest executive official in the state, who actually was chosen by the people.

At no point in UM's saga of football, rape and enrollment has there been any public accountability. The unelected coach Robin Pflugrad was fired by the unelected president Royce Engstrom who was fired by the unelected board of regents. None of these failed public officials ever threw themselves on their swords by resigning, and the chain of appointed offices runs so high that anyone wishing to recall the elected official responsible for the mess would have nowhere to turn but the governor's mansion.

But holding Gov. Steve Bullock responsible for the actions of a football coach four degrees removed from him is inappropriate, especially when major athletic decisions fall to the state oligarchs who ply the Athletic Department with cash. Those critical of UM's administration for building new athletic facilities while laying off professors in the aftermath of an athletic scandal have misplaced the blame. The money for the Washington-Grizzly Champions Center was earmarked specifically for its construction by its donor, the Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation, no matter if the university community thinks it more important to preserve academics.

Likely sensing their brand was tarnished by connotations of rape and degraded academics, the Washington Foundation donated another $10 million in October to expand UM's College of Education, which was adorned with the Washington name in 2009 after a previous donation. There is no doubt the Washington Foundation's money is being put to good use making Montana's top education program even better, but one has to wonder why the only support for education on campus is coming from an aging copper king whitewashing his legacy rather than the legislature elected to invest in the state's future.

Billionaire industrialist Dennis Washington was rich before he bought the Berkeley Pit and adjoining mining rights in Butte, but the copper and molybdenum flowing out of the new Continental Pit made him the richest man in the state. In thanks, Washington gifted UM its first proper bowl stadium, which opened three months after the new open pit mine. Like the university's appointed leaders, Washington will likely never be held accountable for fallout resulting from either of those holes in the ground, whether they bear his name or not.

We trust democracy to provide leaders of government that shape the very fabric of our lives, yet we've been conditioned to unquestioningly accept the most feudal of power structures as soon as we set foot inside a school. As long as the power to make life-and-death decisions about the university rests in the hands of boosters and appointees, unpunished mistakes at UM will continue to snowball. The power behind the throne of UM has never been given a public mandate, and they've shown they don't deserve one.

What a bunch of drivel! There is virtually nothing in this commentary that actually makes any sense. I, too, graduated with a journalism degree from UM and, I too, worked at the Kaimin. This young man's perspective is so far off from reality I don't even know where to begin. So I won't. Why the Missoulian editor chose to publish this drivel amazes me.

Griz90 said:
signedbewildered said:
The Unelected Power Behind UM

Missoulian guest column
By Hunter Pauli, Former Kaimin Editor

Every Grizzly football game begins with a pledge of allegiance to American democracy, but at the University of Montana the ideal of a community electing its leaders is thrown out in favor of rule by political appointees, unelected bureaucrats and local oligarchs.

Those foaming over the hiring of Bobby Hauck aren't upset because the university community had a vote for head football coach and their candidate lost. They're upset because unelected boosters handpicked a man who inadvertently correlated the University of Montana with rape, driving down enrollment for years and gutting academics. At the behest of Grizzly athletics' private donors, this man was hired by an athletic director appointed by a university president himself appointed by a board of regents appointed by the highest executive official in the state, who actually was chosen by the people.

At no point in UM's saga of football, rape and enrollment has there been any public accountability. The unelected coach Robin Pflugrad was fired by the unelected president Royce Engstrom who was fired by the unelected board of regents. None of these failed public officials ever threw themselves on their swords by resigning, and the chain of appointed offices runs so high that anyone wishing to recall the elected official responsible for the mess would have nowhere to turn but the governor's mansion.

But holding Gov. Steve Bullock responsible for the actions of a football coach four degrees removed from him is inappropriate, especially when major athletic decisions fall to the state oligarchs who ply the Athletic Department with cash. Those critical of UM's administration for building new athletic facilities while laying off professors in the aftermath of an athletic scandal have misplaced the blame. The money for the Washington-Grizzly Champions Center was earmarked specifically for its construction by its donor, the Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation, no matter if the university community thinks it more important to preserve academics.

Likely sensing their brand was tarnished by connotations of rape and degraded academics, the Washington Foundation donated another $10 million in October to expand UM's College of Education, which was adorned with the Washington name in 2009 after a previous donation. There is no doubt the Washington Foundation's money is being put to good use making Montana's top education program even better, but one has to wonder why the only support for education on campus is coming from an aging copper king whitewashing his legacy rather than the legislature elected to invest in the state's future.

Billionaire industrialist Dennis Washington was rich before he bought the Berkeley Pit and adjoining mining rights in Butte, but the copper and molybdenum flowing out of the new Continental Pit made him the richest man in the state. In thanks, Washington gifted UM its first proper bowl stadium, which opened three months after the new open pit mine. Like the university's appointed leaders, Washington will likely never be held accountable for fallout resulting from either of those holes in the ground, whether they bear his name or not.

We trust democracy to provide leaders of government that shape the very fabric of our lives, yet we've been conditioned to unquestioningly accept the most feudal of power structures as soon as we set foot inside a school. As long as the power to make life-and-death decisions about the university rests in the hands of boosters and appointees, unpunished mistakes at UM will continue to snowball. The power behind the throne of UM has never been given a public mandate, and they've shown they don't deserve one.

What a bunch of drivel! There is virtually nothing in this commentary that actually makes any sense. I, too, graduated with a journalism degree from UM and, I too, worked at the Kaimin. This young man's perspective is so far off from reality I don't even know where to begin. So I won't. Why the Missoulian editor chose to publish this drivel amazes me.

+1

horribilisfan8184 said:
So this is how they choose to debate GG, PR and BW? Looks like a Growler technique.

My guess is they know the facts, but choose to ignore them. Their opinions sell papers much better - or so they think. Gonna have to hit them at their wallet. Every booster that advertises with them should start withholding all advertising revenue, and tell them exactly why.

ordigger said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
So this is how they choose to debate GG, PR and BW? Looks like a Growler technique.

My guess is they know the facts, but choose to ignore them. Their opinions sell papers much better - or so they think. Gonna have to hit them at their wallet. Every booster that advertises with them should start withholding all advertising revenue, and tell them exactly why.

Well this has always been part of the problem. It isn't just that they push falsehoods and questionable rumors it's that they refuse to tell the other side of the story. It's like the prosecutor laying out his case and then the jury immediately making a decision based on what they were told.

The Missoulian has never received a penny from me after Florios one sided coverage of Jordans trial.

It's both funny and terrifying to see someone learn how the world works a half-century late, and then think it's worthy of print. "Yeah, Billy, some dogs are brown. Good job!"

horribilisfan8184 said:

For all of you who have perhaps rolled your eyes or argued with me about my posts stating that we NEED to stop accepting and ignoring posters who bully and harass, and that people who protest Hauck are entitled to their opinions and do not deserved to be attacked, I meant it. It's true.

So, while you may have grown weary of my Liberalesque commentary, this is a response I got from a man in a personal FB message after my 2 seconds on ABC TV: "You should be ashamed to be a member of maroonblood.com Disgusting."

It was followed by threats to call my employer, turn a community of people against me, suggested I was doing it to shame the woman whose rights I've been defending on here.

So...I guess my point is that this is so ridiculously polarized....there is no debating on facts, clearly. I support Hauck's return, so ... I'm associated with the guy I've been posting against, probably pissing off a few people on here by doing so? When did the middle ground become the minority? It's so crazy.

GGNez said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

For all of you who have perhaps rolled your eyes or argued with me about my posts stating that we NEED to stop accepting and ignoring posters who bully and harass, and that people who protest Hauck are entitled to their opinions and do not deserved to be attacked, I meant it. It's true.

So, while you may have grown weary of my Liberalesque commentary, this is a response I got from a man in a personal FB message after my 2 seconds on ABC TV: "You should be ashamed to be a member of maroonblood.com Disgusting."

It was followed by threats to call my employer, turn a community of people against me, suggested I was doing it to shame the woman whose rights I've been defending on here.

So...I guess my point is that this is so ridiculously polarized....there is no debating on facts, clearly. I support Hauck's return, so ... I'm associated with the guy I've been posting against, probably pissing off a few people on here by doing so? When did the middle ground become the minority? It's so crazy.

It's like there is a leper in the middle of the circle, and most are trying to runaway, as far from the middle as they possibly can, forgetting that there is one thing they could and should do, and that is remember their humanity, and reach back behind them to help others - including the leper - who are also trying to get away.

GGNez said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

This. Someone commented yesterday I believe that you were "brave" for doing this and I meant to touch on that.

The reason, in my opinion, that "brave" is an accurate word describing your recent actions is because it's not politically correct to do and say what you did. There is a fine line determining who the actual victims are in this whole mess. First and foremost, anyone that was actually sexually assaulted is certainly a victim.

Then there is the other either self proclaimed or labeled by society victims. And this isn't essentially who I feel was victimized but based on recent observations of peoples wide range of reactions. Just an observation, not my opinion.

Lisa Davey
Mike Schlosser
Robert Hauck
Hauck's (especially immediate) family. Wife and children.
The Washington Family
Kent Haslam
UM Athletic department
University of Montana
UM Student Athletes

and now...

Stacy Coulter

You may or may not call yourself a victim (in reference to the message you received) GG, but others might and rightfully so (broken question mark)

How dare you question anyone that stands up against sexual assault regardless of their true agendas, false beliefs or lack of research and proven facts.

How dare you imply that the original petition was not based on accurate information.

How dare you publically support the return of this monster as a woman and an advocate for crime victims.

Yes, what you did was indeed brave for many reasons, but mostly because it goes against everything that is supposedly acceptable in todays society. How dare you.

Sidenote: (Especially in relation to this topic in general, The University of Montana and the city of Missoula) What is this middle ground you speak of?

signedbewildered said:
GGNez said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

This. Someone commented yesterday I believe that you were "brave" for doing this and I meant to touch on that.

The reason, in my opinion, that "brave" is an accurate word describing your recent actions is because it's not politically correct to do and say what you did. There is a fine line determining who the actual victims are in this whole mess. First and foremost, anyone that was actually sexually assaulted is certainly a victim.

Then there is the other either self proclaimed or labeled by society victims. And this isn't essentially who I feel was victimized but based on recent observations of peoples wide range of reactions. Just an observation, not my opinion.

Lisa Davey
Mike Schlosser
Robert Hauck
The Washington Family
Kent Haslam
UM Athletic department
University of Montana
UM Student Athletes

and now...

Stacy Coulter

You may or may not call yourself a victim (in reference to the message you received) GG, but others might and rightfully so (broken question mark)

How dare you question anyone that stands up against sexual assault regardless of their true agendas, false beliefs or lack of research and proven facts.

How dare you imply that the original petition was not based on accurate information.

How dare you publically support the return of this monster as a woman and an advocate for crime victims.

Yes, what you did was indeed brave for many reasons, but mostly because it goes against everything that is supposedly acceptable in todays society. How dare you.

Sidenote: (Especially in relation to this topic in general, The University of Montana and the city of Missoula) What is this middle ground you speak of?

Signedbewildered, Thank you! Thank you for being thoughtful, intelligent and for understanding the current climate of our community. It's easy to pick a side and have plenty of friends and plenty of enemies; each side with their ready-made viewpoints and counter arguments.
I'm glad that eventually, we will all be on here discussing and debating whether it was the right choice to go for 2 or to kick the field goal rather than going for it on fourth and two....but for now....I'm not finished trying to be a voice of reason.

signedbewildered said:
GGNez said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Lisa Davey
Mike Schlosser
Robert Hauck
The Washington Family
Kent Haslam
UM Athletic department
University of Montana
UM Student Athletes

and now...

Stacy Coulter

You sir are very insightful great post !!

Back